Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Strong gusts to 130 km/hr will redevelop Thursday after 1500h Mainly Western Counties

• 28-01-2015 7:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Good morning ... in preparing the daily forecast I noted gusts to 71 knots (132 km/hr) at Mace Head at 0600h and wanted to alert readers that there have already been fairly widespread severe gusts at times this morning, and these appear to be spreading east across central Ireland -- gusts may peak in various exposed portions of the west but will reach at least 110 km/hr near the east coast too. (have edited slightly as reports come in)

Also, be aware that near blizzard conditions are likely to develop across higher parts of the north quite soon ... Connacht Airport (Knock) may be included in this ... road travel disruptions are possible across the north at least inland and at elevations above 100m if not more widely at times. These conditions may briefly appear further east and south at times, in a few locations. Other than adding this, please confine discussions of this aspect to the snow alert thread elsewhere.

A second period of very strong winds can be expected in Connacht, west Munster, Ulster and coastal parts of Leinster on Thursday afternoon (north) and evening to overnight (east coast). Further details in my daily forecast. North-northwest winds may gust as high as 130 or 140 km/hr in Antrim and 120 elsewhere in the regions outlined, as this northerly gale to storm force wind event will become very strong down the west coast of Scotland and throughout the Irish Sea region peaking late Thursday or early Friday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭dmc17

It's pretty lively here in Clare at the moment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Good morning ... in preparing the daily forecast I noted gusts to 71 knots (132 km/hr) at Mace Head at 0600h and wanted to alert readers in Galway that there is some chance of severe gusts at times this morning, possibly in other parts of central Ireland but mainly within 50 km of Galway and some other exposed parts of (county) Galway and Mayo.

Mods, you can merge this thread with the snowfall thread after these winds have subsided. -- MTC

Driving early this morning, there was a few trees down around parts of West Cork and Mallow so the possibility of high winds might catch people focussing on the snow. Careful out there people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

dmc17 wrote: »
    It's pretty lively here in Clare at the moment too.
    Definitely worse than red alert rachel in limerick earlier. Has settled a little right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I'm west of Mallow. It's very gusty now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Wasn't expecting this kind of wind down here in cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Has being pretty windy near Limerick City. Gusts in gale or strong gale in strength. Hearing about a few trees down all over the country on the radio. Dublin Airport is reporting near sustain gale with storm gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭the2hurdys

Very wild here near Tipperaray town not looking forward to driving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Has been very wild here in west limerick for the past hour/hour and a half. Wasn't expecting this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

At around 6-45 am in Galway this morning I thought the roof would go, I recorded a gust of 73mph

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Given some of the reports in the thread, I upgraded from level one to level two as of 0755h. Please note my additional comments if you already saw the original post earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Its certainly more windier in the north east this morning compared to ''storm'' Rachel, and more reports of trees down to looking at the AA's twitter page.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank MT.. my awareness exactly way down here in South Kerry and like many this was unexpected. It is fearsome up here now and we are hunkering in once more.

Definitely worse than red alert rachel in limerick earlier. Has settled a little right now.

It is erratic and gusty.. seems to calm then POW!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jenny rennie

Very gusty In Kilkenny all morning. Have to go out in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Peak 10 min mean speed of 26 knots recorded at 5.40 am here. Woke me up and certainly was stronger than I would have expected.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Looks like strong winds are with us all the way to Fri. Bit like forgetting to wear sunscreen skiing, we got dazzled by snow & forgot about the wind :D

gfs-0-54_txy3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wasn't expecting such strong winds this morning - some serious cross winds in Cork City!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

People are fixated on snow. So i hope no one gets cut out by this. Particularly people in exposed areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

AA-Roadwatch is full of reports of trees down, says it all :-

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx
    MEATH: Emergency services are dealing with a tree down on the N52/ Ardee Rd just outside Carlanstown.

MEATH: A tree is down on the Barrowaddy Road at Rathfeigh. Take care in the area. The council have been notified.

WICKLOW: There's a tree down on the Kilmacanogue/ Roundwood Rd (R755) blocking one lane. The Council has been notified.

KILDARE: There's a tree partially blocking the Kilcullen/ Naas Rd (R448) at Sillothill. The Council has been notified.

TIPPERARY: There's a tree down on the Dundrum/ Cashel Rd (R505) at Ballynahinch. Gardai are at the scene. Take care in the area.

LONGFORD: A fallen tree is in the process of being removed on the Edgeworthstown/ Granard Rd at Lisryan.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Are we at level 2 again? Thought this was level 1.
    When will it start getting warm again, freezing here in my shoebox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Met Eireann did not see this wind event coming !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The current intensity now supports level one alert, but potentially the very strong winds later tomorrow could justify keeping a level two thread title. The focus of this thread should perhaps begin to shift to that potential later tomorrow, as most of the remaining problems today will likely be with damage already sustained (trees to be cleared etc) and ongoing blustery winds gusting to about 110 km/hr which, where they combine with wintry showers, will make for very poor driving conditions.

Tomorrow, after the gradient lets up slightly for a while, there will be a renewed round of very strong gusts and at times these may become storm force in parts of the northwest then later east Ulster down the Irish Sea, possibly also on land in exposed east coast locations. For a change this may not be as severe on some parts of the west coast. Anyway, further management of this thread today will go over to the forum in general as it is my overnight sleep period here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Darrell Loose Speedy

Lightening this morning on the east coast. Wind gusts woke me early. A lovely start to the morning :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Well I was almost injured.. A bunch of slates falling off a roof in Christchurch started landing at my feet. My heart will never be the same again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Aerohead wrote: »
    Met Eireann did not see this wind event coming !!!!!!

I've been critical of their wind alerts in the past but overnight into the morning in limerick was within an acceptable* margin for the yellow alert they issued.

*In my non educated and parochial opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Jaysus there was some serious wind last night where I am 5 miles north of Limerick city. Crazy noise outside at times. I can't remember if I've ever been woken up by the wind during the night - but I was last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Some very strong gusts around 6am here in Newport Mayo. It has calmed down a bit since and turned into a typical winters day with plenty of rain and some decent gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just looking at the WV image sequence for this morning, it seems likely that the strong winds this morning may have been associated with a narrow dry slot that followed on from the cold front. This image was taken at 6 am, around the time of the strongest winds. (from Vedur)

6EPHPH.png

New Moon

Thankful it has eased off up here now. South Kerry 400 ft asl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very windy in Galway now with hail and sleet, temp at 1 degree at rear of house

Advertisement