Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong gusts to 130 km/hr will redevelop Thursday after 1500h Mainly Western Counties

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

I feel like Dorothy out of the wizard of oz waiting on the house to take off. very windy here now. very eventful day here in north Kildare.

We will call this storm Dorothy then so .... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Been out and about all evening at various events. didn't think it was a particularly windy evening that.
    sounds a lot worse now I'm home .

sw donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

From the house shaking about 40 odd mins ago to deathly quiet now!!
    Not a breeze.

Weather like this gives me the heeby jebbies, you feel "something" is brewing big style :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy all evening on the North Kerry Coast.

10 min avg wind speed 39 kph NW , gust 74 kph

Temp 6.9 C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

this has been some of the longest sustained gusts for me.

my weather station broke, two trees are down in co sligo so far as i know

the light went off for 5 seconds after a gust at 8pm in sligo town (didnt even go off last year)

i measured 58 knots yesterday

might have touched 60 knots today but broke weather station so ill leave it to mountainy man or someone

are you actually alive anymore there in geevagh mountainy :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Well the gusts have dropped a notch here in Newport, Mayo. Some of the gust were surprisingly strong and sustained, coupled with heavy rain made this seem like the worst event since we moved here a year and a half ago.
    When I went to the shed I noticed that the wall plate has moved about 2" where it was joined, full inspection tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Dead calm here now in South Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Low is now just southwest of Isle of Man heading for a scrape over Aberdaron and a second Welsh landfall in Cardigan Bay. Predicting peak winds around Dublin in next hour, Wicklow coast around 0100-0200h. Should rapidly let up in many other regions but with occasional gusts to about 90 km/hr -- Saturday now also looking very windy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

great!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

pauldry wrote: »
    this has been some of the longest sustained gusts for me.

my weather station broke, two trees are down in co sligo so far as i know

the light went off for 5 seconds after a gust at 8pm in sligo town (didnt even go off last year)

i measured 58 knots yesterday

might have touched 60 knots today but broke weather station so ill leave it to mountainy man or someone

are you actually alive anymore there in geevagh mountainy :cool:

Ya I'm alive :)
    Had a high gust of 40.3 mph (I don't do knots, not a sailor:P) I tend not to get extremes of wind here(thankfully) not sure why as am pretty exposed. I do get the snow which is more important lol. Been a bit of a thaw and snow has slumped down to about 2 inches and have had the usual avalanche from the roof, temp is currently 2.8C was 4.0C at 22.15pm dew points remained sub zero throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

It's a bit blustery out there now

Really calm now here in my part of D15, was a lot windier earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭the2hurdys

it is wild for the last hour or more near Tipperary Town very heavy rain at moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Well MT your timing is perfect 1 am here and wind really picking up 100 ft asl coastal wicklow, sorry cant be more precise,but the wind chill is bloody freezing too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, I closed down before MT and the Orange Alert..What a night up here... South Kerry 400 ft asl. The set of the house and trees give a wind tunnel effect at the front of the house if there is any westerly in the wind.. Gave up trying to sleep and was down in the kitchen making toast when there was ( around 1o.30 ish) an almighty thunderclap and lightning simultaneous and the lights went out for a minute.. stunned silence then the dogs started so I had to go out and let them loose to take refuge in the shed and hope they are still safe. TOO MUCH WEATHER I was thinking already.. TOO MUCH WEATHER! Still have my digiweb thankfully and the phone.. according to met we have another week of cold. ENOUGH ALREADY!

Most of today (Friday) should remain moderately windy but no severe gusts are expected. It will become rather blustery on Saturday, could be a marginal level one, so any moderator who can change the level might either remove it completely or at least reduce to level one. I'm expecting peak gusts Saturday around 110 km/hr in exposed locations and 90 km/hr more generally. But it will be colder and these winds will cut through you if you're not dressed Baltic style.

Tonight's wind event has now moved across Wales and into southwest England and the Channel. It will be dying out over northern France. The next one comes about more from a general intensification of the flow, rather than any particular features but another polar low could form further east this time and drop south in eastern Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It wasn't that bad. Up here in the extreme North where I live we are used to high winds, and this last 24/48hrs wasn't that bad.

Compared to the night a couple of years ago when, over the space of 1hr in the middle of the night, we had an average wind speed of 95mph. Now that was rough, I remember lying awake listening to the house being battered, and getting up at 4am with my torch to go out round the house to inspect for damage.

Loud night up here and loud now but not as bad as the night before. Caught up on some sleep so feel more human today ;)

There will be some borderline level one wind gusts in areas exposed to the north today, peak gusts of 110 km/hr can be expected but probably does not justify a tag at this point. I attempted to edit the title but it didn't work out (should now read strong northerly wind gusts at times Saturday).

Anyone tired of the strong winds will be glad to hear that much of next week may be considerably less windy and at times almost calm. But with that may come more severe frost.

There will be some borderline level one wind gusts in areas exposed to the north today, peak gusts of 110 km/hr can be expected but probably does not justify a tag at this point. I attempted to edit the title but it didn't work out (should now read strong northerly wind gusts at times Saturday).

Anyone tired of the strong winds will be glad to hear that much of next week may be considerably less windy and at times almost calm. But with that may come more severe frost.

Swings and roundabouts! At least with the north wind I can get out at the front door but bitter cold today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 GreyRock Lass

Just had a few gusts shortly after 7am & the power goes!!! Seriously???? The big bad wolf could've blown bigger gusts.....!

Nothing but a mild breeze here in North Mayo. A very heavy shower of rain woke me at 6:45 but blue sky outside now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Still extremely gusty here in Achill. Feels like most of the past week has been a continual storm. :(

sunbeam wrote: »
    Still extremely gusty here in Achill. Feels like most of the past week has been a continual storm. :(

Nothing up here in Newport bar a few mild gusts, thankfully. The blue skies have disappeared and have been replaced by a large rain cloud, which interestingly blew over from the north which we don't see to often here.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Give me that anytime, calm and cold. I don't like the wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

That wind was bloody cold on the golf course at 8 am this morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Seriously gusty in Cork surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

Seriously gusty in Cork surprisingly.

yup I can confirm that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

Nice and calm here in Dublin only a small bit of Wind :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Some quite severe gusts here also today (Laois), wasn't really expecting it to be this windy. yr.no are usually spot on with their short term wind forecast predicting a peak here around 2pm.

Advertisement