Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

• 10-08-2014 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

I predict alot of snow this winter- starting in November.
    I would like to remind people to look over the forum charter as we enter what I like to call silly season on this forum .

Welcome to the forum and thanks for visiting!

This forum is for all who are interested in meteorology and those who wish to learn about and discuss weather events which are current, historical, local or global.

Here are a few points to keep in mind while posting on this forum:

1. Please refrain from direct personal attacks on any person whether they are members of boards.ie or not.

2. Everyone is entitled to post and has equal rights whether they are weather experts or complete newbies.

3. If you wish you to challenge someone's views (on the topic of weather) then please question the post, do not just attack poster.

4. Stay on topic.

5. No trolling/goading posts which serve only to aggravate other users.

5.1 Calling People Snow Bunnies will fall into this Category

6. No advertising or spamming.

7. If you have a problem with a post then report it.

8. No duplicate accounts (Breach of site rules)

9. In-thread discussion of a moderator's actions, whether it's an action taken against you or another member is not permitted as it drags the discussion off topic - it almost always leads to a ban.

If you are unhappy with a moderator's actions then private message the moderator in question to query it. This should be your first port of call for any complaints you have about moderation.

If you remain unsatisfied with the answer you can take it up with a category moderator.
    Our category moderators are currently Black Swan;Dónal

If you remain unsatisfied after speaking to the category moderator you can use the Feedback, Helpdesk or Dispute Resolution forums as appropriate.

Feedback is for general comments, suggestions, and a place to air your opinion on how the site is being run and what you find good or bad.
    Helpdesk is for more specific issues you might have with moderators
    Please read the relevant charter carefully before posting in either Feedback or the Helpdesk

If you have received an infraction or ban, please follow the Dispute resolution procedure

Note that moderators are normal posters outside of the forum(s) that they moderate and will be treated as such.

10. Signature Rules
    Please follow the above link to view full list of rules.

Enjoy the forum everyone and have fun!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

Fair play to ye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

I predict lots of model watching that will end like this..

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

Too soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

km79 wrote: »
    Too soon :D

Never too soon. :D

Last years winter thread was created on the 11/8. I have been waiting to see who will get there first.:pac:

It is kind of scary that this appeared so close to the same date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Seriously, it's a definite i know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Delivery confirmation for your snow machine came through? Good man.

Ok then, everyone that doubts my prediction pays 20 euro in November when there is a blanket of snow across the country :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

I predict alot of snow this winter- starting in November.

well there is a definite chill in the air at night already,and leaves starting to fall off the neighbours trees into our garden.once its not a snizzle fest il settle for a few good frosts even and few raging storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I read that the El Niño likelihood this year has been down graded. El Niño years have been associated with greater chances of snow - I think! Does this hold up for Ireland?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We've barely had a flake of snow here since Winter 2010, I get the feeling we will get a bit more lucky this winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Not that it means anything as it's not winter yet. But it's a bit cold for August....

Negative Arctic Oscillation

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I predict a riot (if the Cork snow dome occurs again this winter)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

Well according to this.....

http://www.landscheidt.info/?q=node/331

you just might be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Strasser wrote: »
    Well according to this.....

http://www.landscheidt.info/?q=node/331

you just might be right.

A bit Ken Ring-esque no??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Don't feed trolls and spoofers.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

According to this paper, produced by scientists at the Met Office, what we want for the best chance of a -ve NAO is an El Nino, -ve QBO, low sea ice in the Kara Sea in November and a warm north Atlantic sub-polar gyre (basically warm sea surface temperatures in the area stretching from Iceland, into the mid Atlantic and across to Newfoundland).

A -ve QBO is almost guaranteed
    El Nino is likely
    The state of the Kara sea ice and the sub polar gyre temps remain to be seen

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    According to this paper, produced by scientists at the Met Office, what we want for the best chance of a -ve NAO is an El Nino, -ve QBO, low sea ice in the Kara Sea in November and a warm north Atlantic sub-polar gyre (basically warm sea surface temperatures in the area stretching from Iceland, into the mid Atlantic and across to Newfoundland).

El Nino is likely

It will all fall into place, just wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »

El Nino is likely
    Synopsis: The chance of El Niño has decreased to about 65% during the Northern Hemisphere fall and early winter.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.html

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I predict two possible scenarios:

1. There will be whiteout blizzard conditions for most of the country à la late 2010.

Meanwhile, however, Cork's beloved snow shield will be in full force. All snow showers will fizzle out when they reach the invisible boundary at the Dunkettle roundabout, with Cork city getting rampant zonal conditions with temperatures in the low teens.

Expect tantrums and gloating to follow. :P

...Or a more likely scenario:

2. There will be a total cross model agreement for a massive Beasterly Snowmageddon (think 2010 on steroids) that will send Boards.ie into meltdown and then will promptly vanish at 24h out to be replaced by a Bartlett High Pressure. Posters will then declare "I will never trust the models again", only to get excited once again when the same scenario repeats itself a week later. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I predict two possible scenarios:

1. There will be whiteout blizzard conditions for most of the country à la late 2010.

Meanwhile, however, Cork's beloved snow shield will be in full force. All snow showers will fizzle out when they reach the invisible boundary at the Dunkettle roundabout, with Cork city getting rampant zonal conditions with temperatures in the low teens.

Expect tantrums and gloating to follow. :P

...Or a more likely scenario:

2. There will be a total cross model agreement for a massive Beasterly Snowmageddon (think 2010 on steroids) that will send Boards.ie into meltdown and then will promptly vanish at 24h out to be replaced by a Bartlett High Pressure. Posters will then declare "I will never trust the models again", only to get excited once again when the same scenario repeats itself a week later. :pac:

That pretty much sums it up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

was waiting to see when the first thread would start looking forward to all the gnashing of teeth as everybody blames either the cork snowshield or the pesky iom shadow when all the models go pear shaped.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Gosh, I wonder what James Madden thinks winter will be like this year! :rolleyes:

TBH, any cold weather will be an improvement on last winter. Plenty of storms but no decent wintry spells at all (apart from one or two cold zonal wet snow events). Hopefully this winter will be more of a mixed bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Last Winter I dubbed it The Year America stole Winter.

Looking at all the blocking that is around now if it were winter we would be looking out for snow. Knowing our luck we will be back in the western mess just in time for Winter.

We barely even had frost last year. I hope this year is different.

Last year is was going well in the beginning. Higher snow cover than normal over Russia then BAM the US stole the entire winter.

Here are my charts are saying

From October 2013 to March 2014 I recorded 32 frost mornings

October 2012 to April 2013 I recorded 93 frost mornings

October 2011 to April 2012 I recorded 28 frost mornings

October 2010 to March 2011 I recorded 81 frost mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Bring in the New year with a CHILL i say :rolleyes: :D :pac: :P

318099.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Hopefully winter 2014/15 will be much better for cold and snow lovers then last winter,i suppoose its cant be any worse. Since the start of 2011 there has been a real lack of snow (March 2013 was a cold month and delivered some snow of course but to me March is always too little too late). Winter 2011/12 was rubbish and winter 2012/13 wasnt great so heres hoping with the coming winter snowlovers will fare better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭emo72

that 2 years of snow we got a couple of years ago was an aberration lads. its not gonna happen again for another 30 years. chillax:pac:

emo72 wrote: »
    that 2 years of snow we got a couple of years ago was an aberration lads. its not gonna happen again for another 30 years. chillax:pac:

Put your money where your mouth is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭emo72

Put your money where your mouth is

all 50 cents?:eek:

its on:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement