Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's eviction,and then,there's EVICTION.

Options
  • 30-03-2014 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

There's a somewhat testy wee situation over on AH relating to this Article from the Irish Independent of 23rd March...Most of the "sturm und drang" appears to revolve around a photo of the journalist concerned,so I'm attempting to post her words to see if there's a body of opinion out there on her situation....?

Caoimhe Ni Laighin – Published 23 March 2014

I Had a feeling this was brewing. I knew the day would come. A rent hike is what I foresaw, but no, full-blown eviction it is.

There isn't an ASBO against me. I haven't repeatedly blared The Prodigy at 3am. And I've never been late with my rent.

The apartment is required by the son of my landlord. And legally, they've every right to chuck me out in those circumstances.

I've been paying €1,150 a month on the apartment for two years. Alone. Before bills or blowdrys. I'm also a single mother, which is an expensive little lifestyle. In other words, I'm smashed as it is.

Lots of girls dream about trips to New York or Paris if they meet a man. My fantasies revolve around meeting someone with whom I could share my electricity bill.

And now I'm being turfed out into an extremely hostile market for renters. Anything decent in my area is €1,500. I just can't pay that.

And I'm not renting one of those depressing suicide boxes, with the carpet and wallpaper screaming at each other, the oven peeping out behind a curtain in the 'kitchen' and the electric fire menacingly threatening carbon dioxide poisoning.

There is an upsurge in economic evictions in Dublin right now. Rents are going through the roof and many renters are losing their homes as a result.

On average, it costs €1,200 a month to rent a house in Dublin, much higher than the national average. In the last quarter of 2013, prices rose 12 per cent in the capital, according to Daft.ie. And Daft is expecting an even greater hike when the first-quarter 2014 results are published.

And what is being done about this? Why, nothing, of course! Perish the thought of doing something sensible like bringing in rent control.

As for me, at 34, I'm being granted residential asylum in my mother's house.

'Asylum' perfectly describes our strange little collective of housemates.

There's my moody teenage son, my supremely matriarchal mother and my 20-year-old niece, who is a student in Trinity and the absolute antithesis of what I was at 20; a clean-living gym freak who has recently embarked on a fruitarian diet as her militant veganism wasn't masochistic enough.

I was thinking of pretending to prospective dates that it's actually MY house and I benevolently let my mother live there.

But I'd be rumbled by the never-ending stream of forty-something siblings who ensconce themselves uninvited in the living room, having let themselves in the front door with their own key.

I'm moving back into my bedroom, which has been frozen in time – the Roald Dahl books still on the shelves, the children's stickers still on the wall, the 500-year-old carpet to which I've always had a vicious allergy still on the ground.

I'm thinking, 'Wow, haven't I come far?' But also thinking that I'm very, very lucky to have a home.

Caoimhe Ni Laighin is a journalist with Nuacht and TG4.

Sunday Independent

So,how does post-2008 modern Ireland,address Caoimhe Ni Laighin's situation ?

Is it as clear-cut as she appears to believe ?

What would her reasonable options be ?

Is there a Government Policy out there which could regularize the Private Rental Market to short-circuit these occurences ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

low income single mother in not being able to afford home in upper-class area shocker. 1500 a month? She expects us to pick up the tab, does she?

I could certainly dig her up a massive list of properties to rent that are actually in her price range, assuming that she and nobody she knows has access to the internet, which seems to be the case.

The real story is her snobbishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

well it appears she either moves home or moves further out etc, can blame her for not wanting to live in a suicide box as she calls them, that would be the last resort for me too! But its ok, the older generations are sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I'm kinda wondering why,after this length of time as an EU member,we haven't taken on board some of the more civilized and functional aspects of European life.

The ability to have a Private Rental Accomodation sector not entirely the prevail of shady individuals,retired Gardai,Taxidrivers or Schoolmasters,is but one of these aspects.

Why,after 40 years of being European,do we still regard Landlord/Tenant relationships as being firmly rooted in our old Colonial past.

Secure,Long-Term,well managed Rental Contracts,with strong regulation should be readily available as an alternative to purchasing one's own residential property.

Rather incredibly,our native regard for such an oderely Rental Centred process appears to be lacking...hard to fathon really ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    low income single mother in not being able to afford home in upper-class area shocker. 1500 a month? She expects us to pick up the tab, does she?

I assume she expects the government to force NAMA and the banks to start selling / renting out properties at market values thus reducing the super-normal rents, rather than allow people who bought and can no longer afford their mortgages to live at a subsidised rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I could certainly dig her up a massive list of properties to rent that are actually in her price range, assuming that she and nobody she knows has access to the internet, which seems to be the case.

Pay the hyper-rent or move to Ballyfermot?

Speaking of which, asking rents for houses in Ballyfermot are pushing €1200 a month, which when you consider the earning power of people who live there is insane money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Had to help a group of foreign national workmates and the crap their landlord started throwing at them to get them out.
    They were/are great tenants but the landlord wanted a massive raise in rent.
    I warned the lads that the landlord wants you out and hopes you wont agree to the rent hike.
    Short version - I told them everything in registred letters and keep a copy. Even after they were discussing new terms they got an eviction notice.
    They eventually agreed to the hike but got the landlord to do a heap of work on the house (after I told the lads to make up a list of stuff they had fixed in the house that they had informed the landlord of but never got done and to tell the landlord they would bill him for the work done).
    Reckon its happening a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

That's a rather short-sighted view. It's more likely that she's simply trying to highlight problems with the rental market. I didn't detect that she was attempting to make the case that her rent should be state subsidised. I'm sure that she could rent a house in her price range, but perhaps she can't for reasons not mentioned in the article.

I've never espoused the "dead money" view on renting. However, the thought of handing over 1200-1500 euro per month on a house makes me cringe.

Younger people are faced with some very stark choices when it comes to finding a home. They can pay a crazy amount of rent, or they can attempt to get a mortgage to buy a house that is still going for far more than its real worth. The first option eats nicely into what is probably an already lean monthly wage, and the latter choice will leave the said person in debt for 30+ years.

Of course, as someone said above, the older generations are fine. Ah shure they're young...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,201 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

RichardAnd wrote: »
    That's a rather short-sighted view. It's more likely that she's simply trying to highlight problems with the rental market. I didn't detect that she was attempting to make the case that her rent should be state subsidised. . . .
    No, but she is calling for rent control - i.e. legislated limits on the amount by which landlords can increase rents (usually, though, protecting only sitting tenants).

I think, though, there's two points she's overlooking.

First, as she concedes, it's reasonable for her current landlord to terminate her lease, because he requires the property for his own family purposes. So, even with rent-control legislation, she's still be leaving this flat and looking for another. And, as a new tenant in some other flat, she wouldn't benefit from rent control in fixing the initial rent. The landlord could let the flat at whatever the market would bear; it's only thereafter that his rent increases would be restricted. And, of course, knowing that his opportunity to increase rent would be limited, he'd pitch the initial rent as high as possible. In her current situation, I doubt that she would be better off in a rent-controlled regime.

Second, there's this:

"And I'm not renting one of those depressing suicide boxes, with the carpet and wallpaper screaming at each other, the oven peeping out behind a curtain in the 'kitchen' and the electric fire menacingly threatening carbon dioxide poisoning."

It's likely that in a rent-controlled environment there would be more such flats, not fewer, on the market. If the return that landlords can earn is kept down by capping rents or rent increases, then the only way to maximise profits is to reduce outgoings- so grottier flats, with grottier fitting out and grottier decor, are to be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Peregrinus wrote: »
    No, but she is calling for rent control - i.e. legislated limits on the amount by which landlords can increase rents (usually, though, protecting only sitting tenants).

I think, though, there's two points she's overlooking.

First, as she concedes, it's reasonable for her current landlord to terminate her lease, because he requires the property for his own family purposes. So, even with rent-control legislation, she's still be leaving this flat and looking for another. And, as a new tenant in some other flat, she wouldn't benefit from rent control in fixing the initial rent. The landlord could let the flat at whatever the market would bear; it's only thereafter that his rent increases would be restricted. And, of course, knowing that his opportunity to increase rent would be limited, he'd pitch the initial rent as high as possible. In her current situation, I doubt that she would be better off in a rent-controlled regime.

Second, there's this:

"And I'm not renting one of those depressing suicide boxes, with the carpet and wallpaper screaming at each other, the oven peeping out behind a curtain in the 'kitchen' and the electric fire menacingly threatening carbon dioxide poisoning."

It's likely that in a rent-controlled environment there would be more such flats, not fewer, on the market. If the return that landlords can earn is kept down by capping rents or rent increases, then the only way to maximise profits is to reduce outgoings- so grottier flats, with grottier fitting out and grottier decor, are to be expected.

Nevertheless most european countries have such laws and good rental housing. The real kicker is she should be able to buy a house on her rental money were houses allowed to fall.

Nevertheless most european countries have such laws and good rental housing.
    They do, but they have much less flexible rental markets. Tenants, for example, typically furnish rented properties, and are responsible for decoration (and redocorating). This makes renting a signficant investment; rental terms are longer and the frictional costs of moving from one premises to another are higher. That might actually suit Caoimhe Ni Laighin, but it wouldn't suit a large section of the traditional population that rents, who are in the rental market precisely because it's flexible and they don;t want to make a long-term commitment to a property.
    The real kicker is she should be able to buy a house on her rental money were houses allowed to fall.
    In general it will always cost more to buy a house than to rent, for obvious reasons. If this is not the case then the market is distorted. Were house prices to fall, you would expect rents also to fall, so that she might still choose to rent rather than to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

Firstly .. Sunday Independent ... larger tabloid.

Anyway:

I Had a feeling this was brewing. I knew the day would come. A rent hike is what I foresaw, but no, full-blown eviction it is.

There isn't an ASBO against me. I haven't repeatedly blared The Prodigy at 3am. And I've never been late with my rent.

Irrelevant nonsense

The apartment is required by the son of my landlord. And legally, they've every right to chuck me out in those circumstances.

God forbid someone might want to use their own asset, totally emotive use of the word chuck ... she had her tenancy ended in accordance to the law

I've been paying €1,150 a month on the apartment for two years. Alone. Before bills or blowdrys. I'm also a single mother, which is an expensive little lifestyle. In other words, I'm smashed as it is.

Again, irrelevant. We all have to cut our cloth to suit.

Lots of girls dream about trips to New York or Paris if they meet a man. My fantasies revolve around meeting someone with whom I could share my electricity bill.

You landlord and the readers can't help you with that. This is a personal problem; not a societal one.

And now I'm being turfed out into an extremely hostile market for renters. Anything decent in my area is €1,500. I just can't pay that.

Thank your lucky stars that you have been paying below market rates up to now. If you can't afford the market rates you are living beyond your means. Move to an area that you can afford.

And I'm not renting one of those depressing suicide boxes, with the carpet and wallpaper screaming at each other, the oven peeping out behind a curtain in the 'kitchen' and the electric fire menacingly threatening carbon dioxide poisoning.
    well then don't .. but if you want to pay peanuts for a right location you won't have a choice. Move out of the city and you will have the best of choice for your budget

There is an upsurge in economic evictions in Dublin right now. Rents are going through the roof and many renters are losing their homes as a result.

any evidence to back this up? or just a random presumption to suit your rant?

On average, it costs €1,200 a month to rent a house in Dublin, much higher than the national average. In the last quarter of 2013, prices rose 12 per cent in the capital, according to Daft.ie. And Daft is expecting an even greater hike when the first-quarter 2014 results are published.

find me any western capital city who's rents are lower than the national average. Want to live in the capital? expect to pay more. there are also more opportunities, amenities etc in the city.

And what is being done about this? Why, nothing, of course! Perish the thought of doing something sensible like bringing in rent control.

Can you explain how this would work in a fragmented rental market, where there are a huge number of individual accidental landlords. When supply comes on board will there be any 'control' for landlords to stop falling rents? or is 'control' a one way street?

As for me, at 34, I'm being granted residential asylum in my mother's house.

'Asylum' perfectly describes our strange little collective of housemates.

34 and employed .. you'd expect an educated professional at this stage in their life to be a little more financially secure ...

I was thinking of pretending to prospective dates that it's actually MY house and I benevolently let my mother live there.

I suppose that would give a better impression than a mid-thirties professional with no sense of security.

I'm thinking, 'Wow, haven't I come far?' But also thinking that I'm very, very lucky to have a home.

Throw in a token condescending '1st world problem' line to wrap up.

Caoimhe Ni Laighin is a journalist with Nuacht and TG4.
    Sunday Independent

i'd beg to differ

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

They do, but they have much less flexible rental markets. Tenants, for example, typically furnish rented properties, and are responsible for decoration (and redocorating). This makes renting a signficant investment; rental terms are longer and the frictional costs of moving from one premises to another are higher. That might actually suit Caoimhe Ni Laighin, but it wouldn't suit a large section of the traditional population that rents, who are in the rental market precisely because it's flexible and they don;t want to make a long-term commitment to a property.

In general it will always cost more to buy a house than to rent, for obvious reasons. If this is not the case then the market is distorted. Were house prices to fall, you would expect rents also to fall, so that she might still choose to rent rather than to buy.

Good points ,well made Peregrinus.

I suppose the first phrase that jumped out at me was that "Responsible for",in relation to furnishing and decorating...

It has been my experience (as a close friend of a Landlord)that this is essentially seen as being TOTALLY a requirement of the Landlord and has no relevance to tenants.

Mention of a "Traditional Market that rents" raises the issue of some essential cultural difference between "Our" renters and those from other juristictions ?

I would have thought that Germany,for example,would have a significant number of feckless or otherwise deficient individuals who seek accomodation also,so how are these catered for ?

I think the remark about not wanting to make a "Long-Term committment to Property" is highly pertinent,as it represents,for me,the essential difference between Ireland and the ROTW...Mainstream Irish society appears totally incapable of contemplating the very existence of such Individuals,much less having an organized structure to facilitate them.

This lack of recognition leads to tenancy,as a concept, being regarded as something akin to Cruel & Unusual Punishment and thus,left to the tender mercies of the current wildly variable collection of Landlords,each with their own notions of what constututes an acceptable business approach.

Rather than focus exclusively on the "Property Market",perhaps we first need to look at the deeper cultural issues the Country has with the "Private Rental Accomodation" concept itself ?

Fair points.

I'm not saying that in Germany there is no transient population of students, etc, who rent a place not expecting to stay there very long. But they're a comparatively small sector of the market. It's not uncommon for middle-class families to live in rented accommodation long-term.

And this used to be the case in Ireland, too. A hundred years ago, it was in fact usual for middle-class families to rent their houses. Even those who owned houses quite often let them out, and lived in other houses, which they rented because they wanted to live in a different neighbourhood, or close to work (practically nobody had cars) or close to other family members. They had less emotional connection with the houses they lived in and also - I think this is quite a big factor - they had less stuff. Packing up your stuff and moving it to another house was a much simpler operation then than it would be now. So moving house was not the big deal it is for us.

It was (among other things) stringent rent control laws (later struck down as unconstitutional) which put an end to this. At a time of galloping inflation during and in the years after the Great War, rent controls were introduced to protect tenants from large rent increases. The result was to devalue significantly the ownership of tenanted property; landlords couldn't get adequate returns from investment in property, so they stopped investing, and the rental property stock degraded over time. This led to the perception that you couldn't get decent rented accommodation, and so the middle classes preferred to buy.

The other change that came in was the move to letting furnished accommodation. This didn't used to be the norm; tenants rented unfurnished accommodation and furnished it themselves. However there was a market for short term lets of furnished accommodation, and accommodation let on that basis was outside the rent control legislation (because the lettings were presumed to be short term). Hence those landlords still in the business started to fill their flats with the hideous cheap chipboard-and-laminate furniture that we all still remember from our squalid student days. Again, this contributed to the perception that if you wanted your home to be nice, you had to buy it.

In short, it was badly-thought out rent control legislation that degraded the rental market in the first place. I think you're right that reversing this requires a cultural change which won't be easy to achieve. But as long as buying or building residential accommodation remains expensive, rents are going to be expensive too; landlords are not going to buy or build accommodation and then let it out for rents which don't provide a good return on their investment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I know the girl personally and her biggest problem is that she bought at the height of the boom somewhere down the country...i think the price was 300k for a house on an estate.

The ex husband lives there but her name is still on the deeds and she is effectively bankrupt with almost no chance of raising another mortage.

With her teeenage son she would need a certain amount of space and the area she has been renting in has become mental in terms of rental prices.

If you're throwing 1,500 Pm at keping a roof over your head it's going to be next to impossible to save for a mortage deposit anyway.

My OH was in a similar position,the landlord ordered her out as "a relative" was moving into the property which has since reapeared on the market for an extra 400 per month.

Landlords are basically allowed to do and charge whatever they feel like as it *is* a private industry with no real controls on pricing etc and in true irish private sector style they will gouge the bejaysus out of it without thinking of either the tenants or the sustainability of these sorts of prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

We have a huge issue with both the rental and property market in Ireland. We are in the thros of another property boom that may end in tears. As well we still have wishfull thinkers that assume there is a large well of property in NAMA to be sold that will cause a price drop down the line. My own gut reaction was that in the midle year prices had steadied.

Dublin was always going to be an issue, no major developers around and it economy has lifted a year before the rst of the country. Caoimhe should have seen it coming and tried to buy. However she may have been like other wishfull thinkers failing to watch the way the wind was blowing.

Our rental market is skewed and to make matters worst the government had decided to leave social housing to the private rental sector. But the issue is they subsidize it. I would not be of the opinion thta renting is dead money but in Ireland it is economic susicide.

Let look at those that advacote a rental market what couple that are retored could afford rental prices in Dublin. A single person on a pension would be totall dependant on the state nearly anywhere in Ireland to rent a house. Our biggest issue is people attachment to there family home. However is it any wonder, with nursinh homes bills why trade down and leave the nursing home take all the cash. They can only access 1/3 of the equity in the family home.

We have a huge issue with Dublin considering it is a sprawling city with large area's not build up it leaves us wonder whay we cannot get housing stock being build at a fast pace. It all comes back to over regulation. The cost of doing any major project in Ireland is horrendus. Maybe it is still not economic to build houses in Dublin.Maybe we need prices to rise higher before it is economic tp build there again:(

We have a huge issue with both the rental and property market in Ireland. We are in the thros of another property boom that may end in tears. As well we still have wishfull thinkers that assume there is a large well of property in NAMA to be sold that will cause a price drop down the line. My own gut reaction was that in the midle year prices had steadied.

Dublin was always going to be an issue, no major developers around and it economy has lifted a year before the rst of the country. Caoimhe should have seen it coming and tried to buy. However she may have been like other wishfull thinkers failing to watch the way the wind was blowing.

Our rental market is skewed and to make matters worst the government had decided to leave social housing to the private rental sector. But the issue is they subsidize it. I would not be of the opinion thta renting is dead money but in Ireland it is economic susicide.

Let look at those that advacote a rental market what couple that are retored could afford rental prices in Dublin. A single person on a pension would be totall dependant on the state nearly anywhere in Ireland to rent a house. Our biggest issue is people attachment to there family home. However is it any wonder, with nursinh homes bills why trade down and leave the nursing home take all the cash. They can only access 1/3 of the equity in the family home.

We have a huge issue with Dublin considering it is a sprawling city with large area's not build up it leaves us wonder whay we cannot get housing stock being build at a fast pace. It all comes back to over regulation. The cost of doing any major project in Ireland is horrendus. Maybe it is still not economic to build houses in Dublin.Maybe we need prices to rise higher before it is economic tp build there again:(

See my previous post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I posted this on another thread but currently in a 2 year lease, rent at 1400 and lease expires in Jan.

Landlord came back in jan to say rent was going to 1650, advisd her as per lease terms it was 1400 til jan, after her meltdown where she said it was a gross mistake that she signed a 2 year lease blamed me, her agent etc but not herself even though we have a signed copy she's informed us that the rent will be going to 2k in jan

I posted this on another thread but currently in a 2 year lease, rent at 1400 and lease expires in Jan.

Landlord came back in jan to say rent was going to 1650, advisd her as per lease terms it was 1400 til jan, after her meltdown where she said it was a gross mistake that she signed a 2 year lease blamed me, her agent etc but not herself even though we have a signed copy she's informed us that the rent will be going to 2k in jan

She's clearly in breach of contract and you should seek legl advice on teh issue.

These people bought to let thinking it was a licence to print money and they ride roughshod over tenants rights using the threat of eviction to gouge more and more money out of them.

Of course in thier greedy scramble for more and more money they fail to see any long term consequences of thier actions...just like the events of ten years ago.

This thread over in accomadtion forum:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057178791

Wheras the OP doesnt sound like such a bad sort there are people baying for the blood and eviction of the tenants...several posts(some by myself) attempting to speak up for the tenant were deleted and warnings issued.

There is another issue here that a lot of posters fail to see(by the way this is not an excuse just reality) the greedy landlord may have been suffering a loss of rent over interest and repayments for the last few years. The limiting of loan interest to 75% tax relief and if the landlord( not trying to make an excuse) has been making payments from other income may leave them under pressure.

This is an issue where banks have taken over houses and looking for vacant possession at end of tenancy agreement. Some people here are forgetting that somebody has to pay for the house. By the way the only house I own is the one I live in.

I do believe that we need an overhaul of some of the laws in this area. However people have to understand that nothing is free in this life. For instance if Caoimhe last house mortgage was non recourse then she would be free of same. What actions has she undertaken to release her obligation to the last property, it all very well saying that her ex husband lives there. I know that this is becoming a huge issue where one person moves out and another is left with house and loan.

The real issue is the lack of available housing in Dublin and the continual centralisation of resources and jobs there. We have failed to provide viable alternatives to it as an industrial/technology base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

... It all comes back to over regulation...

You've got to be joking.

There's been an unending flow of scandals due to the lack of "real" regulation.

• Advertisement

chopper6 wrote: »
    ......true irish private sector style they will gouge the bejaysus out of it without thinking of either the tenants or the sustainability of these sorts of prices.

The Govt is pushing costs up, and reducing supply.

How is that the LL fault?

beauf wrote: »
    The Govt is pushing costs up, and reducing supply.

How is that the LL fault?

How is it the Govt's fault?

You dont get a letter for Enda kenny to say he's putting the rent up.

Costs are going up for everybody and people don't need 200 per month added onto thier rent by vultures either.

How is it not?

If the costs are comparable why rent at all?

How is it not?

If the costs are comparable why rent at all?

Costs compartable to what?

People rent for all kinds of reasons...it's not an excuse for profiteering by greedy landlords.

No idea, maybe explain your point about costs going up for everyone and if its at all relevant?
    Do you think rents should stay static for ever? Do you think a business should never make a profit?
    Do you think the Govt should just ignore the whole thing as it has done?

Costs compartable to what?

People rent for all kinds of reasons...it's not an excuse for profiteering by greedy landlords.

It is a business like any other. If it is not profitable there is no point investing. I always stayed away from it. It was tough. 20 years ago I could have gone and bought a house and rented it. It took me 10 years longer to buy a farm. I often wonder why people invest in property. I know that it require a lower capital entry level but the hassle you have to go through.

On the other hand we have those that advacote it. I hope my kids have enough sence to own there own house.........and only there own homes.....

There is easier ways to make money, mind you not sure if farming is one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

No idea, maybe explain your point about costs going up for everyone and if its at all relevant?
    Do you think rents should stay static for ever? Do you think a business should never make a profit?

Housing isn't treated as a normal free market activity except as described by the - cough - businessmen engaged in it. Half of them public servants. The government intervenes to keep the poor in social housing and to prop up the housing of the rest of the market via Nama, in a country with one of the biggest housing busts in history with one of the biggest mortgage arrears in history and growing.

The state owned banks are keeping people economically incapable of paying for their houses by taxing a rental class which could pay for those houses - at even her last rent she should be able to afford properly priced housing in SCD if the government let prices fall to normal levels.

Everybody should cut their cloth to suit their measure, so turf the mortgage non-payees out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

She's clearly in breach of contract and you should seek legl advice on teh issue.

These people bought to let thinking it was a licence to print money and they ride roughshod over tenants rights using the threat of eviction to gouge more and more money out of them.

Of course in thier greedy scramble for more and more money they fail to see any long term consequences of thier actions...just like the events of ten years ago.

This thread over in accomadtion forum:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057178791

Wheras the OP doesnt sound like such a bad sort there are people baying for the blood and eviction of the tenants...several posts(some by myself) attempting to speak up for the tenant were deleted and warnings issued.
    I think you are misreading it I read it as Landlord came to increase rent in Jan 2014 was obviously disconnected and hadn't realised she'd let them have a 2 year lease then informed them rent was going to 2k in Jan 2015 (a punitive rate ) probably to claw back the increase she missed out in Jan 2014.

Nothing illegale but Landlord is just an idiot.

Also to above poster mortgage arrears have in the most recent quater fallen.

There's a difference between between making a profit and increasing rents by 20-40% per year.

Remember also that letting property means you're dealing with human beings and thier lives rather than selling commodities or grazing cattle.

If people can't see the difference they shouldnt be involved in the "industry" at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Fair points.

I'm not saying that in Germany there is no transient population of students, etc, who rent a place not expecting to stay there very long. But they're a comparatively small sector of the market. It's not uncommon for middle-class families to live in rented accommodation long-term.

And this used to be the case in Ireland, too. A hundred years ago, it was in fact usual for middle-class families to rent their houses. Even those who owned houses quite often let them out, and lived in other houses, which they rented because they wanted to live in a different neighbourhood, or close to work (practically nobody had cars) or close to other family members. They had less emotional connection with the houses they lived in and also - I think this is quite a big factor - they had less stuff. Packing up your stuff and moving it to another house was a much simpler operation then than it would be now. So moving house was not the big deal it is for us.

It was (among other things) stringent rent control laws (later struck down as unconstitutional) which put an end to this. At a time of galloping inflation during and in the years after the Great War, rent controls were introduced to protect tenants from large rent increases. The result was to devalue significantly the ownership of tenanted property; landlords couldn't get adequate returns from investment in property, so they stopped investing, and the rental property stock degraded over time. This led to the perception that you couldn't get decent rented accommodation, and so the middle classes preferred to buy.

The other change that came in was the move to letting furnished accommodation. This didn't used to be the norm; tenants rented unfurnished accommodation and furnished it themselves. However there was a market for short term lets of furnished accommodation, and accommodation let on that basis was outside the rent control legislation (because the lettings were presumed to be short term). Hence those landlords still in the business started to fill their flats with the hideous cheap chipboard-and-laminate furniture that we all still remember from our squalid student days. Again, this contributed to the perception that if you wanted your home to be nice, you had to buy it.

In short, it was badly-thought out rent control legislation that degraded the rental market in the first place. I think you're right that reversing this requires a cultural change which won't be easy to achieve. But as long as buying or building residential accommodation remains expensive, rents are going to be expensive too; landlords are not going to buy or build accommodation and then let it out for rents which don't provide a good return on their investment.

Excellent post. I wish it was a blog, so I could link to it...

Advertisement