Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Storm Approaching The Northwest

• 25-01-2014 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭

Listening too Met Eireann and Evelyn said a powerful Atlantic storm will hit tomorrow, she said warnings are likely to be upgraded to red, think we should have a new storm thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Has there been an upgrade to this storm???, watching the forecast there,it seems to be a powerful storm with the potential for an upgrade to red alert status later.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Well bugger, flying out from Dublin Airport tomorrow evening. What are the odds on delays there?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

40-65mph of the west coast 3pm tommorrow
    14012615_2512.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Was pretty dang windy here in Limerick last night alright! I had to close my bedroom window!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Has there been an upgrade to this storm???, watching the forecast there,it seems to be a powerful storm with the potential for an upgrade to red alert status later.

Orange alert for the Western half of the country already issued. Hopefully thats as high as it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Overmanlyman

What is it supposed to be like in Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

theres a chance there might be some white gold embedded in this storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Stay on topic. Off topic posts will continue to be deleted. This is an on thread warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Overmanlyman

Redsunset wrote: »
    Stay on topic. Off topic posts will continue to be deleted. This is an on thread warning.

Fair play people should be more serious and keep to topic
    No hard feelings?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kkel

How come this place hasn't been hopping all week if there's a storm coming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Had a text in the last half hour from my brother who is in Clifden overnight, saying the weather's wild. He has been there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

kkel wrote: »
    How come this place hasn't been hopping all week if there's a storm coming?

Well it doesn't look like being too severe. I think it's tracking a little bit too far north to have much impact away from the northwest coast, which is well used to strong gales every winter.

The could be some big thundery downpours at times though, that could make it more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

delaad wrote: »
    Had a text in the last half hour from my brother who is in Clifden overnight, saying the weather's wild. He has been there before.

Does he know you're into "weather"? I ask as I think he's pulling yer plonker.

I just went upstairs and opened the velux window. There's a breeze out but it's nothing. No chimney noise, no rain at that moment.

All quiet on the Western front at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

expect winds in the order of 70knots tomorrow in the northwest

and coastal flooding again

sure wer used to it now

more coastal flooding possible next weekend

then

hopefully

things will begin to quiten down and get cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

this is a funny storm, usually there is a week long anticipation, alot of technical input, etc, but no one's bated an eyelid. There has been the prospect of it being a red alert status, perhaps everyone is fatigued from the storms. Just seems strange the way it crept up out of nowhere and the general level of disinterest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lot of power outages out western Ireland at moment

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

this is a funny storm, usually there is a week long anticipation, alot of technical input, etc, but no one's bated an eyelid. There has been the prospect of it being a red alert status, perhaps everyone is fatigued from the storms. Just seems strange the way it crept up out of nowhere and the general level of disinterest.

Its headline news on rte, irish times and indo websites this am, but have seen it mentioned on their websites over last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Has this low moved faster than expected? Am I correct in saying it is currently where it is supposed to be by mid afternoon? Wild night here in N. Tipp but has calmed significantly in the last 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Clare rocks

http://irelandsweather.com

Coasts from Galway Bay, along the entire Munster coastline to Waterford in the high risk zones for Storm Force winds with very severe gusts. The Kerry coastline could touch Violent Storm 11 after midnight tonight. Mean wind speeds of 70 to 90kmh gusting to 145kmh to 155kmh possible from this run.
    A period of heavy rain will sweep up through the island late afternoon and early evening with gale force south to southeast winds. As the storm depression tracks closer to the Mayo coastline, winds will gradually veer south to southwest and increase Severe gale force 9. After midnight, winds will further increase southwest to west storm force 10 with violent storm 11 in the southwest coast with very severe gusts.
    Along other coastlines of the southeast and east, winds will be offshore and could reach severe gale 9 even in these areas.
    Galway bay and other low lying parts of the west and southwest will see high seas with a risk of coastal flooding from a sustained period of high winds. There could possibly be a surge down the Shannon Estuary and flooding here too. Power outages and structural damage likely.
    If the track remains with the center bearing close to the Mayo and Donegal coastline, the violent winds will be always kept on the southern flank. If this track wobbles more away to the north, Mayo,Sligo and Doneagal will be brought into the equation much earlier otherwise it’s looking as if the northwest may escape for now with just windy conditions until during Friday when winds pick up as the storm moves away and fills.
    Overland and inland areas especially in the southern half could see gusts of 110kmh too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Note - that forecast is from 26.12.13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

wild enough here in cork. although not as bad as the christmas storms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

hard to open doors right now, can feel the suction when i try to get out, these winds are quiet gusty and the gusts are powerful, normally i would not see crows flying, but there is a batch of them just flown very low and set down on a field below me,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how come these storms always seem to take the same route? with the eye of the storm passing ireland by the northwest

what are the chances of the eye actually passing over ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Satellite view of the low-pressure system:

290747.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

temperature dropped so fast here in the west , 2c now. Not as windy as yesterday tho maybe storm hasn't fully arrived yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭amandstu

fryup wrote: »
    how come these storms always seem to take the same route? with the eye of the storm passing ireland by the northwest

what are the chances of the eye actually passing over ireland?
    Something I have also wondered about.Does the landmass (and its different temperature to the sea) tend to steer it away?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What a beautiful system on the satellite imagery. Lots of showers ready to pile in from the west too and could be a covering of snow by midnight for many parts more especially above 200m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

It's just gone very, very dark in Limerick city, big muther-fugger of a dark cloud rolling in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Serious wind in Galway in the past hour, storm seems to be on the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Been very wild in Castlebar since about 06.00 this morning, a few window benders as well, still very stormy at the moment with some sustained violent gusts coupled with a lot of hail and sleet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement