Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Approaching The Northwest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

2014-01-26%2010.29.13.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

filmed about 2 hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Lightning and a bit of thunder in Limerick Citaaay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

filmed about 2 hours ago.

Wouldn't want to be on the Clare Island ferry...

wind died down in castlebar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

irishgeo wrote: »
    wind died down in castlebar.

Not where I am, you must be sheltered :P

Xenji wrote: »
    Not where I am, you must be sheltered :P

on the westport rd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Showers becoming more organised into a band now from south mayo to kerry....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Overmanlyman

It's snowing here in Gorey
    Do ya know if it will stick or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fastnorte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 fastnorte

Lads,

Forgot to mention:

1. Use mouse wheel to zoom in and out
    2. Left click to any location to get exact wind speed and direction data

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Lads.

That link has been posted 567 million times.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Snowing in Newbridge at the moment. Light, but winds making it a good shower. Radar shOwing it won't last long, but maybe another band in an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Still getting it pretty bad down here in Killarney. Started about 2am last night with heavy rain and a strong wind. I work nights so didn't see the weather today but apparently we had a couple of bad hail showers.

Hopefully we are seeing the end of winter with this little mini storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Wind seems to have died down here in Achill but there are still a few showers of hailstomes. Electricity has just gone. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Very windy this evening going down N17/N18 back to Limerick between 5 & 8pm. Crazy hailshower while taking a break just off the motorway at Gort a bit after 7pm, after that there were a few icy/hail patches on the motorway between Gort and Ennis. Fortunately everyone driving carefully/slow enough all the way.

Another hail downpour in Limerick then about 8:30pm. Bits of wind and rain since, picking up and slackening at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Gusty and squally in connemara but really nothing to write home about. When is the peak? Doubt this one will cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Winds have dropped off in Castlebar and showers have eased to. a very windy 24 hours all the same!( thunderstorm passing through Castlebar now)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Lights just flickered here in South east Kerry, Last snow was 5 hours ago (Tiny amount/quick melt).Only hail since.
    Gusts are completely random.. Seem to come out of nowhere/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some nice flashes of lightning in Castlebar in the last few mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Xenji wrote: »
    Some nice flashes of lightning in Castlebar in the last few mins

Along with North Kerry and West Limerick by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

is it worth my time staying up, lamppost watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I put together this 2 day satellite animation (sequence runs up to 11pm tonight) which shows how this particular storm depression rapidly developed. I am thoroughly disgusted though at the quality in which the video was converted by FB. The original file which I uploaded was much smoother and clearer. :mad:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=806016369414746&set=vb.175249952491394&type=2&theater

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

So, in effect what they are saying that is our weather is more benign now than at any stage in modern history - yet somehow we will experience more extremes cause it's caused by global warming...

...where is that carbon tax deceleration form that needs filling in...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

On Met Eireann they said that we could have another storm next weekend, anyone have any update charts etc or know anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Storm 10 wrote: »
    On Met Eireann they said that we could have another storm next weekend, anyone have any update charts etc or know anything.

Very high tides at the weekend so that storm could cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Storm 10 wrote: »

With more cold air plunging right down over the eastern US soon we can except to see more deep lows spinning up in the Atlantic so there will be the potential for more stormy spells in the near-medium term but too early to look at exact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Very high tides at the weekend so that storm could cause problems.

3rd/4th Feb I think is the biggest of the next tides, Storm approaching from the wrong direction could do even more damage. Hope it won't come to pass, there's been enough destruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

yes storm next weekend, prob as intense as this weekend with 60 knot gusts
    however thats open to change

high tides on Feb 1st too so swell and storm surge a problem except in Sligo the surge is worst when we get Southerly winds and I think it will be a Northwesterly gale so I dont think the damage will be as bad as January 3rd but there would prob be surface water on promenades.

This January has been very wet in Sligo. Well over 170mm of rain so far
    184mm in Claremorris too after they had 215mm in December so all in all one of the wettest Winters since the mid 90s and prob one of the windiest too.

Think the cold stuff is having a problem getting a word in edgeways with all of the energy that is been generated from East US

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement