Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Approaching The Northwest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Xenji wrote: »
    Been very wild in Castlebar since about 06.00 this morning, a few window benders as well, still very stormy at the moment with some sustained violent gusts coupled with a lot of hail and sleet.

Same story here outside Newport, some very strong gusts and dark clouds filling the sky. I assume this will be an all day show.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

just watching a group of climbers on the Galtees through binoculars.
    heavy shower approaching now, going to be some experience for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very windy here at Knock Airport. Flights operating as normal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Just after having a light snow shower here near ballina county Mayo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Getting pretty gusty in Galway city in the last hour
    Current wind speed 25mph gusting up to 46mph
    Further west Mace Head reported a gust of 69knots in the 1400hrs reports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Snow flurries south sligo - dark and windy and damn cold too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Sleet stormy wind thunder and lightning in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Sleet stormy wind thunder and lightning in Galway

no thunder or lightning in the east side of the city

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Seems to be landing Galway city now. Dark with hail/sleet and surge in wind..

Clarification - salthill side..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I stand corrected there its is now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Getting it at Renmore here anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Torrential Hail sleet wet snow thunder and lightning a bit of everything really just now Galway city everywhere is now all white :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

From Facebook

the storm system (see warning) has bombed with its core pressure dropping by 50mbar since last night. We likely upgrade to Severe weather warning especially for the west as wind speeds are likely to be stronger than our last warning of 120kmh now looking at 150kmh gusts which will lead to coastal flooding in the west. Warning update at 7pm.
    Weather Alert Ireland
    SEVERE WEATHER WARNING (RED) MUNSTER/CONNACHT WEST ULSTER
    Unfortunately an upgrade to severe weather warning for coastal Munster, Connacht & Ulster. Over the past 24 hours data indicates that the central low pressure of the storm system has undergone explosive cyclogenesis. Highest impact will occur from 9pm onwards and overnight with gusts of 150kmh possible in western coastal areas with mean wind speeds of 80kmh. Our warnings earlier this week gave a risk of coastal flooding in Munster / Ulster and this has now increased significantly so please take appropriate precautions. Power outages and travel disruption is very likely nationwide. The rest of Ireland will also see a higher wind speed with gusts of 120kmh in exposed locations of Leinster late tonight and during the early hours of tomorrow.

http://www.facebook.com/weatheralertireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Time for a level 3 warning then so? the window bending gusts are back in Castlebar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

just left achill about an hour ago and the wind was really getting up. i had trouble closing and opening the car door. got some nice pictures of the huge swell early this morning. am i allowed post them here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Galway West: The afternoon was blustery and then it went very quiet but it has started up again. Few nice hailstones/sheet slowers alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

irishgeo wrote: »
    just left achill about an hour ago and the wind was really getting up. i had trouble closing and opening the car door. got some nice pictures of the huge swell early this morning. am i allowed post them here?

Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

just watching a group of climbers on the Galtees through binoculars.
    heavy shower approaching now, going to be some experience for them.

Oh man I would have loved that!!! Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Pictures always welcome and in most cases insisted upon! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭bockeys jollocks

Post, post, post.....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The K4 buoy in outer Donegal Bay reports 16.2 metre waves at 17z.

Probably another case where level 2 is justified for most of the exposed west, level 1 would be appropriate for most of the east and central counties, and level 3 might apply to a few exposed coastal locations from Galway Bay to north Ulster. With those swells and waves coming in, astronomical high tides may run 1-3 metres above table values tonight and Monday.

A slight weakening trend is evident on the models as the low centre stalls near the Hebrides, then drifts south towards east Ulster. This closer approach combined with a weakening trend will combine to produce a very slow weakening trend in observed wind speeds but there are likely to be oscillations from troughs rotating around the low in addition to the larger trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

got some nice pictures of the huge swell early this morning. am i allowed post them here?

Absolutely!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Galway nearly blew up there with the bang of thunder !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

That was the loudest thunder I have ever heard, the place is white with snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

There's a bleedin' Bulmers can being blown around in circles making a racket out behind my apartment block, been there since yesterday and i't starting to p1ss me off!

Gonna go down there and stomp the fecker in a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

a few photos and a video for good measure. the quality is not so good as the spray was covering the lens as fast as i could clean it. some are taken at 11am and some at 3pm. the video is 3pm . i have a few more.

all taken from safe locations.

Looks like it is rough down in Dooega again. I'm hoping all in Coláiste Acla are safe. :(

Call me Al wrote: »
    Looks like it is rough down in Dooega again. I'm hoping all in Coláiste Acla are safe. :(

the tide is not as high as the last storm so they should be safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

More thunder and lightning in Galway afew minutes ago with more big showers following on behind .......:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

the tide is not as high as the last storm so they should be safe enough.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement