Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to Linux full time

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Honestly, pure laziness and avoidance of hassle. I KNOW it works every time in Windows, I just log into the website and watch the football, no fluting around with VM or Wine or whatever else.

I just wish it worked natively in Linux, I mean there's no reason it shouldn't right? There is a SkyGo app for Android.

A VM is so much more convenient, I have an XP virtual machine on my Linux laptop and when watching something on Sky Player, I move the VM to my second workspace and do my browsing on my first workspace. So much easier than rebooting the machine into a dual-boot XP. Definitely the way to go, to be honest. But whatever floats your boat at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yep Silverlight is the issue.

I've a free day today, may give this Virtualbox a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

all my machines are set up with a dual boot for win7 and ubuntu 12,04. I have not booted into windows on any of them yet in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If it takes you the day then you are doing it wrong. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I don't know where to even begin.

any advice?

• Advertisement

I don't know where to even begin.

any advice?

You will need a copy of windows.

To install virtualbox on Mint:

How to install windows 7 on virtualbox

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Have you tried Moonlight? It's a free implementation of Silverlight. I remember installing it before when I tried watching the live Sky News feed. Their web server seems to be up in a heap atm though - http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/

However this may work if you're on Ubuntu.
    sudo apt-get install moonlight-plugin-core moonlight-plugin-mozilla

I found moonlight is like the early days of flash support on Linux. Slight differences in versions and it wont work, or only half work. Now if I go onto a site that requires silverlight, I don't use the site and I tell them its because they are using a proprietary software format which I can not open on my device. Silverlight does not work with the iPad either, so its not like Linux is the only one. The only thing I absolutely have to use is the stupid web conferencing plugins for outlook that I need to use in work once a week so I just use a VM for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Moonlight has effectively been abandoned, as far as I am aware ...... please correct me if there is some updated info.

The roadmap shows the last release as December 2009 !!!!

Hardly a situation to encourage any confidence in it ....

http://www.mono-project.com/MoonlightRoadmap

Moonlight has effectively been abandoned, as far as I am aware ...... please correct me if there is some updated info.

The roadmap shows the last release as December 2009 !!!!

Hardly a situation to encourage any confidence in it ....

http://www.mono-project.com/MoonlightRoadmap

I thought I heard it had been abandoned but couldn't find anything to back it up when I wrote my above post.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    I thought I heard it had been abandoned but couldn't find anything to back it up when I wrote my above post.

I cannot link to anything either, at present, but if I recall correctly MS pulled support from it, and it effectively faded away after that.

In any case it was never of great use .... always at least one, and often two iterations behind Silverlight.

I have since abandoned all sites that use it, so don't really care any more ;)
    (I don't have any work requirements to use Win or Silverlight, so choose not to)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

I've just installed Ubuntu on my laptop, which I've had for nearly a year. I set it as a complement to Window 7 but already have a feeling I'll be using Ubuntu most of the time. I can't believe this was open source; I love it!!

Unfortunately, I seem to have broken an older laptop by trying to install Ubuntu as its sole operating system :o Hopefully I'll find a way to overcome that.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

jrmb wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I seem to have broken an older laptop by trying to install Ubuntu as its sole operating system :o Hopefully I'll find a way to overcome that.

you wouldnt have broken it. What make/model is it and what;s the problem...black screen?

human 19 wrote: »
    you wouldnt have broken it. What make/model is it and what;s the problem...black screen?
    It's a Toshiba Equium from 2008. I attempted to install Ubuntu 12.04 and remove Windows Vista Home Premium altogether. The installation of Ubuntu appeared to have frozen so I turned the computer off and on again. Now, all I get is DOS (or equivalent), and I'm not tech literate enough to sort it out.

It's a Toshiba Equium from 2008. I attempted to install Ubuntu 12.04 and remove Windows Vista Home Premium altogether. The installation of Ubuntu appeared to have frozen so I turned the computer off and on again. Now, all I get is DOS (or equivalent), and I'm not tech literate enough to sort it out.

Easiest thing to do is to install again afresh

Easiest thing to do is to install again afresh
    Thanks, but my problem is that I now have neither Windows nor Ubuntu through which to do that.

Thanks, but my problem is that I now have neither Windows nor Ubuntu through which to do that.

You do not need an existing operating system to install one .... use a CD/DVD/USB stick and boot from it.

Do you have one?
    Did you use one to install previously?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

usb stick is very handy. just run this on it http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

You do not need an existing operating system to install one .... use a CD/DVD/USB stick and boot from it.

Do you have one?
    Did you use one to install previously?

How did you install it last time?

syklops wrote: »
    How did you install it last time?
    I inserted the CD while the computer was running Windows. An Installation Wizard for dummies came up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I inserted the CD while the computer was running Windows. An Installation Wizard for dummies came up.

Just get another CD, and turn on the laptop with the CD in the drive. You may need to go into your bios settings and set the CD drive as your first boot device - you can do that by hitting a hot key on the first screen that appears when you turn on the laptop.

I'm back on track. That was much more straightforward than I'd expected. Thanks human_19, Johnboy1951, Syklops and PropJoe10.

Advertisement