Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie inaugural Beer Mile 14/6

Options
  • 28-04-2013 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭

Ok folks. I've decided I'm gonna try and kick this off/ organise it. I'm gonna do some leg work on a venue but was thinking of choosing June 14th as the date. Its a Friday night, close to the longest day of the year so we can hold it at 8-9pm and still have some sunlight. I'm gonna need a bit of help w/ the venue. It'll be up Dublin way but TBH I think we kinda need to do it guerilla style as pretty sure no one would give us actual permission to do this in the "health and safety" age we live in. Any ideas on venue much appreciated.

I am volunteering though to do the registration, put the timing in place and get the results- obviously could use a couple volunteers to help with this.

Now to gauge interest- who's in?

Location for Boards.ie Beer Mile 48 votes

TCD
    0% 0 votes
    Kilboget
    66% 32 votes
    Kilbarrack
    33% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Was thinking about this. How about Trinity? They should have their grass track marked out, everyone drinks on the grass anyway, and it's relatively quiet on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

I'd be well on for it. Although I know well it is only going to end in disaster for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

+1 add me in, would love to give it a bash! I work in Dublin on a Friday evening so would suit (after 7 please! :)).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Tallaght track - knacker drinking is probably what goes on there on Friday evenings at 9pm anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Tallaght track - knacker drinking is probably what goes on there on Friday evenings at 9pm anyway.

Count me in for the knacker drinking :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As an exiled Tallafornian I'm highly offended by that slur.

Kanacker drinking is the reserve of soccer fans, and hence only goes on in the football pitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Defo up for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good stuff-

Cheers Peckham for the Trinity suggestion- that sounds really good- and central as well. I've been thinking about this and I think the best thing to do would be to have registration/ meet in a pub close to the venue before and all head over as one- firing up the race as soon as we get there (thats pretty much what we used to do in college anyways)- idea is to spend very short amount of time at the actual track so campus security/ rent a cops/ actual guards/ council staff have very little time to react. Trinity could be good for this as plenty of pubs nearby- was thinking of reserving space in a pub for after for the award/ post race pints

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The Cider Mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Will there be a training plan done up for this? :D How many nights a week do I have to be hitting the pub in the lead up? :pac:

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Will there be a training plan done up for this? :D How many nights a week do I have to be hitting the pub in the lead up? :pac:

Meno will be along shortly with a training plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Sounds amazing! Might be as successful as Parkruns :) Will there be a website for registration, updates, results, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Totally would be up for this if its somewhere central - Trinners sounds ideal. No idea how I would perform, but sounds awesome. I must start testing a few different beers as preparation. Tonight: Peroni

Killerz wrote: »
    Totally would be up for this if its somewhere central - Trinners sounds ideal. No idea how I would perform, but sounds awesome. I must start testing a few different beers as preparation. Tonight: Peroni

If you drink that at the beer mile you'll make poor Krusty cry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Anything to weaken Krusty.... :P

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's a fine balance between **** beer and not being passed out before the finish due to using a Belgian rocket fuel beer for it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Trinity is a good suggestion but I can't see them allow it happen. As you said I reckon campus security will be over in a flash (may be wrong). I mentioned it to tallaght club captain at Christmas and he thought it was a great idea but that could have been the Christmas sherry talking :)

How about the cinder track in Lucan? Should be nobody around and is off the main road so no one would see us. Major draw back is there is no pub in stumbling distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Peckham wrote: »
    Was thinking about this. How about Trinity? They should have their grass track marked out, everyone drinks on the grass anyway, and it's relatively quiet on a Friday.

All the exams would mostly be over by then too. Hold it a week before and you would have hundreds out drinking sitting on the track itself outside the Pav.

Tis a good 5 mins walk from campus security at the front square to the cricket pitch there so you'd be ok for a couple of laps at least :D

Maybe you need someone to create a diversion elsewhere on campus. Any takers? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

as the Pav kids drink outside the pub, and runners often training on the track there, surely the Pav is the ideal location?

Maybe theboyblunder can advise if this would fly. If it does then I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Similar to TRRs suggestion, the cinder track in Kilbogget would be ideal. No club-house or barriers to prevent access, and it would not be unusual to find people skulling drinks in the area (nobody would bat an eyelid). Bus-stops nearby and less than a 10 minute walk to the Horse and Hound pub. Kilbogget is alongside the N11, near Cabinteely (here).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Was going to suggest kilbogget too.

Trinners would work too. Can't see campus security seeing a problem let alone stopping it.

That said, having enjoyed cans of beer al freso there, it does get busy with the likes of frisbees etc so you may not get 4 clear maps.

christeb wrote: »
    as the Pav kids drink outside the pub, and runners often training on the track there, surely the Pav is the ideal location?

Maybe theboyblunder can advise if this would fly. If it does then I'm in!

The problem with the pav apart from security is sometimes the grounds staff close off the pitch as well. It would definitely be my first choice but I'd just be worried that the "event" would be cut short. Now I'm not worried about myself as I should only need 5 minutes :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I like KCs suggestion above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Was going to suggest kilbogget too.

Trinners would work too. Can't see campus security seeing a problem let alone stopping it.

That said, having enjoyed cans of beer al freso there, it does get busy with the likes of frisbees etc so you may not get 4 clear maps.

Jaysus, have you started your training already :D

I can see both places as good choices. IMO trinners has a lot going for it in that all public transport (essential for this event) options are right there so would be perhaps the easiest for everyone to get to/ away from. I also think if we rock down as a group, have people toe the line and set off right away- we're talking about 20 mins max exposure, I wouldn't be too worried about security. It might just take them that long to figure out what the hell is going on.

On the other hand- I do like the fact that Krusty's spot would allow for warm ups, strides etc... I think a close, decent pub is essential for afters and could be a good way to get in boards a/r/t postponed x-mas drinks :D

Maybe the way to decide this is through a poll? Might add one at the top

btw still open to suggestions and will add to poll as we go

drquirky wrote: »
    Maybe the way to decide this is through a poll? Might add one at the top

I'm easy either way. As usual if you are going to vote in the poll make sure you plan on doing the event. Lots of people like the idea of doing something like this, throw their oar in and then don't turn up. If you vote you better turn up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I'm not from Dublin but I do work there on a Friday evening, how far from Dublin City centre is Kilbogget? I will have to stay in a friends house that night as I will be driving to Dublin so will have to leave the car at his and bus it out or something, just want to figure out travel times back to the Drumcondra area before I vote.

pconn062 wrote: »
    I'm not from Dublin but I do work there on a Friday evening, how far from Dublin City centre is Kilbogget? I will have to stay in a friends house that night as I will be driving to Dublin so will have to leave the car at his and bus it out or something, just want to figure out travel times back to the Drumcondra area before I vote.
    It's about 25 mins out from town on the bus (145 bus is every 10 mins (15 mins on a weekend)). The bus service runs from Heuston too, if any of our country brethren fancy a pop. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Can't make it to Dublin, but if this is all recorded correctly and someone can beat Pisco Sour's time, there's an Irish record up for grabs.
    Pisco - if the video evidence is there for you, you could claim an Irish record, doesn't appear to be any listed on beermile.com !!

• Advertisement

Pisco - if the video evidence is there for you, you could claim an Irish record, doesn't appear to be any listed on beermile.com !!
    Could we get Anto out to Kilbogget to certify the course? Naturally he'd have to certify it while pi$$ed.

Advertisement