Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-01-2013, 15:14   #1

Turbo Cider - a question or 2

Hi all,

I'm going to try make some turbo cider. I found this recipe on boards posted by Khannie
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=81645821

Recipe: Cloudy apple juice turbo cider
A few people have PM'd me for this, so here's the standard cloudy apple juice turbo cider that I make. Recipe stolen from elsewhere. Input also from BeerNut (thanks).

Lots of lidl or aldi cloudy apple juice (pic of the lidl one).
Some raisins - sunmaid are best as they have no added oil. Not too many. Even a small amount can raise the OG considerably.
Tea bags - I use 1 tea bag per 7-8L of apple juice.
1 sachet yeast.

Pour all the juice into your fermenting bucket. It helps speed things up considerably if you pierce a hole with a sanitised knife diagonally opposite the pouring hole.
Simmer the tea bags until you have real tar. Don't use too much water here. It'll water down your cider.
Add the raisins to the boil mix a few minutes before you're finished boiling.
Remove the tea bags.
I use a blending wand to make a mess out of the raisins at this point to expose the sugars to the yeast. I'm not overly aggressive. Just enough to make chunks of raisin.
Dump the tea and raisin mix into your apple juice.
Sprinkle yeast on top.
Wait about 2 weeks.
Prime, bottle.

Just to be sure I am reading this correctly the following steps should be performed;
  1. Pour all the juice into the ferm. bin (23 litres - I have a 33l bin)
  2. do the boiling/simmering tea bags & raisin step and then put in ferm bin. I think I will go for 3 teabags and a little under a cup of raisins for my attempt.
  3. Put the yeast in on top. Question - how much yeast? (I bought some cider yeast when buying my kit - suitable for 5gallons (22.7litres) so I think I'll just throw the lot in.
  4. Leave the mixture in the bin fermenting until I get a bubble every couple of minutes (taken from the "Homebrew Beer Howto" sticky). Should take about too weeks according to many posts on the internet.
  5. Next step I prime the bottles. Which is best? A teaspoon of sugar per bottle (500ml) or some good quality apple juice? Not sure what to do here.
  6. After bottles primed & filled, I leave it at least 4 weeks, then the drinking may begin.
How does that sound? Am I heading in the right direction?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-01-2013, 16:27   #2
Khannie
Make your dreams happen

Sounds like you have it spot on. These days I usually "mince" the raisins with a hand blender to expose the sugar once I've boiled them for a bit. 3 tea bags is about right IMO.

I prefer to prime with apple juice. If you can do a batch prime that's handiest (do you have a second bucket?).

It's drinkable within 2 weeks of bottling, better after 4 and very tasty indeed after 8. I hear it peaks after about 6 months, but it has never lasted that long in my house.
28-01-2013, 16:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khannie View Post

I prefer to prime with apple juice. If you can do a batch prime that's handiest (do you have a second bucket?).

It's drinkable within 2 weeks of bottling, better after 4 and very tasty indeed after 8. I hear it peaks after about 6 months, but it has never lasted that long in my house.
When you say Batch Prime you mean to move the fermented mixture into a second bin with the primer. Therefore only needing to prime once instead of every bottle? I just want to be 100% sure in what I am doing.

How much apple juice should I use to prime the fermented stuff? Any recommendations? Also, is there any highly recommended/tried & tested apple juices to use as a primer?

I plan on using 500ml bottles. So the first bottles will be opened after 4 weeks in the bottle. At roughly 6 or 8 bottles per my once weekly night of consumption. As the weeks pass it should be getting progressively tastier by the time I get around to the last few, say total time in the bottle 7 - 10 weeks.
28-01-2013, 16:59   #4
Khannie
Make your dreams happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie View Post
When you say Batch Prime you mean to move the fermented mixture into a second bin with the primer. Therefore only needing to prime once instead of every bottle? I just want to be 100% sure in what I am doing.
Yep. Siphon (or use your tap with a tube) the fermented cider into a second bucket that has the new apple juice already in it.

Quote:
How much apple juice should I use to prime the fermented stuff? Any recommendations? Also, is there any highly recommended/tried & tested apple juices to use as a primer?
I use the same cloudy apple juice to prime with. I like it quite fizzy so I go with at least 5g of sugar per 500ml. You can get 5g sugar per 500ml with approximately 1L of cloudy apple juice per 10L of fermented cider. For your batch that's a bit over 2 cartons of apple juice, but you could get away with 2 cartons by dissolving a small amount of sugar in.

These days I push it out to 7g of sugar per 500ml. I'm mad for the fizz.

Quote:
I plan on using 500ml bottles. So the first bottles will be opened after 4 weeks in the bottle. At roughly 6 or 8 bottles per my once weekly night of consumption. As the weeks pass it should be getting progressively tastier by the time I get around to the last few, say total time in the bottle 7 - 10 weeks.
Sounds like a plan. Enjoy!
Thanks from:
29-01-2013, 19:59   #5
Carawaystick

Do the raisins add any tannins, they are from red grapes, while sultanas are green grapes ?
Advertisement
29-01-2013, 21:14   #6

what type of tea bag do you use? is it best to use a black tea or can you use a lipton green tea?
30-01-2013, 11:12   #7
Khannie
Make your dreams happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carawaystick View Post
Do the raisins add any tannins, they are from red grapes, while sultanas are green grapes ?
I have no clue. Seems logical though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurofoxy View Post
what type of tea bag do you use? is it best to use a black tea or can you use a lipton green tea?
I usually use mostly decaf lyons (because I try to avoid caffeine late at night, which is almost invariably when I'm drinking) and some normal barry's gold blend (because it's mega). In a 25L or more batch I'd usually use 4 tea bags. With the last two batches I took my chances and left the tea bags in the fermenter. They have been my nicest brews yet, though I can't be certain that leaving the tea bags in is what caused that.
31-01-2013, 17:28   #8
tommiet

ok, what do the tea bags and rasins do for the brew and what yeast do ye use... I've brewed 5 litres of aldi apple juice (99c a litre) and used this yeast it was grand, got better with age, i've tired other ideas but most of it ended up too dry for my liking...

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/cid...ner-p-883.html

Last edited by tommiet; 31-01-2013 at 17:29. Reason: link didnt work
31-01-2013, 17:33   #9
Khannie
Make your dreams happen

The cloudy apple juice from aldi and lidl makes a much nicer brew than the concentrate stuff.

I use normal cider yeast, then add the sweetener myself at priming / bottling time. You have control over the sweetness that way. I use either splenda tablets or the much cheaper lidl sweetener tablets (they're cyclamate and saccharine based).
Advertisement
31-01-2013, 17:52   #10
tommiet

how much sweeter to how much cider, whats the ratio....
31-01-2013, 18:43   #11
Khannie
Make your dreams happen

Depends how sweet you want it. Bulmers sweet is probably five lidl tabs or four splenda tabs per half litre. You'd need to dissolve them in the batch prime mix. The splenda tabs need heat. the lidl ones don't.
01-02-2013, 11:33   #12

I read somewhere that Champagne yeast makes cider alot dryer than the cider yeast linke above? Is this true.

The yeast and sanatizer arrived this morning so making it tomorrow
01-02-2013, 12:34   #13
evolving_doors

Quote:
I read somewhere that Champagne yeast makes cider alot dryer than the cider yeast linke above? Is this true.

The yeast and sanatizer arrived this morning so making it tomorrow
ya I find that with the lalvin_118 alright...splenda during bottling should help.. our juice some sweet apples and about 25 mls per bottle.
Good fizz and fermentation out of the lalvin though... Mines rocketing away for the last 6 days at 16 degrees! Although I used a spoon of yeast nutrient for the first time...
02-02-2013, 11:36   #14
KAGY

Hope I'm not hijacking here, but it's on topic.

Starting a similar cider today , I'm not looking for a blow yer head off cider, just something nice and fruity to drink when we get our one week of summer.

I have two wine yeasts to hand, Lalvin 71B and K1.
Tried googling but I'm even more confused now:
71B - good for semi sweet wines, produces aromatic esters, reduces malic acid softening the drink
K1 - good for difficult fermentation condition, good for fresh fruit white wines

I know that both of these will leave me with a dry cider, but I'll back sweeten it. I also know that I should get a cider yeast, but I don't live near a HB shop and I have a few more kit's to get through before I place another bulk order online.

So what do you think? Or is it just toss a coin?
22-02-2013, 10:32   #15
howamidifferent

I bottled 26 litres of this on Feb 9th. Can wait to try it.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion