Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Lightning,Torrential Rain & Gale Force Winds for Wednesday Night/Thursday Morning

• 11-11-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Nr1Ch.jpg

Updated

Go to page 23

At present the system does not appear like it will be 'extreme' however the predicted path of the storm does bring a sense of alarm as any upgrades in its intensity over the coming days could bring the most severe conditions to Ireland.

At present we can be 60-70% confident of a storm near 985mb tracking just to our northwest late Sunday.

Current projected conditions (as per UKM/GFS)

Period of heavy and intense rainfall - Upto 50mm of rain possible.

Severe winds. Wind gusts as high as 70mph in association with the approach of the warm front.

Watching the possible development of a storm system. A wave exits south of Newfoundland and looks in a very favourable position for development as it tracks eastward towards Ireland. There is also a jet streak in the region which could aid explosive development.

ECM has the system but doesn't develop it dramatically.

Lets see what tonight's runs make of it.

Post any related information below :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Yehaaaaaaaw anything but this boreing weather :D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Aerohead wrote: »
    Yehaaaaaaaw anything but this boreing weather :D

Amen to that. This year has just been unending gloop since the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

18z GFS a bit more developmental with this.

Definitely something to watch over the coming week. Exact developments won't be certain until much later in the week.

Rtavn1501.png

Breezy to the southwest......

Rtavn1628.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Winds hitting 70-80kph in W Cork, S Kerry on the latest GFS run

System centre is positioned slightly north of the 12z run
    228182.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Every single model run for the past few days has been coming up with a totally different solution for it, ECMWF still doesn't even develop it into a storm so a lot of uncertainty

The 18Z GFS is the first run to really track it over us as a proper storm

Looks like a direct hit on the 18Z NOGAPS as well

nogaps-0-144_fst4.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Very few of the ECMWF ensembles showing anything significant for next weekend but most showing some sort of sharp drop in MSLP values to our west. Going to be an interesting to watch nontheless. My head says side with the ECMWF, but heart instinctively sides with the GFS as the weather has been incredibly boring over the last few years weeks so please GFS, be right! :o

http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/catalog/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!168!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2009112700!!/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

This mornings run..

gfs-0-168_xqw9.png

ECMWF still doesn't do much with it and there's a lot of variation in the ensemble runs so odds at the moment are probably against it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My iPhone app show 40 to 50km/h winds all day from early morning through Sunday night 18th Nov.

I had spotted a severe looking rain line from last Friday but not showing too much rain?

Data NCEP/NOAA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

BOM:

bom-0-168_mwh6.png

GEM:

gem-0-168_egm6.png

ECM:

228199.gif

ECM is really having none of it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

If this storm happens,,is it going to be a "wet and windy" storm,,or one with that horrible snow stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hi All

Just wondering from those with a bit more knowledge.

Why is the ECM not showing what the other models are ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Speak Now

MrFrisp wrote: »
    If this storm happens,,is it going to be a "wet and windy" storm,,or one with that horrible snow stuff?

Wind and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Wind and rain.

Excellent..The best kind.

Thank you.

12z looks threatening.

Rtavn1201.png

GFS 12z has severe wind field just to our west at T150hrs..

UKM at 144 has the storm system in our southwest approaches, although not as deep as the GFS but plenty of time for this to change.

UW144-21.GIF?12-17

Rtavn1501.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GFS showing gales around the coasts, strongest in the west.

1qc2b.jpg

ECM hasn't been as keen with this though, so I have my doubts about it - unless that changes.

With the UKM showing it this evening, GEM showing it also. I expect the ECM will begin to offer something more potent in further runs.

I believe the storm will materialize, whether it is weak and to our south, intense and to our northwest or slam bang over us, i cannot tell.

Many days of model watching to go through before we can be certain. Probably not until Friday's 0z

ECM doesn't appear to go with it.

I don't buy the ECM evolution myself.

Recm1201.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just caught the RTE forecast, 20-60mm of rain this week,there's a nice low off the coast of Spain also but doesn't look like that will impact us much.

Slightly ot,they also mentioned rain totalling 250mm to fall in Northern Italy:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

LGEM also shows a strong wind event for Sunday. Taking that model back in steps it becomes apparent that the source of the low would be tropical, an area of cloud located north of Hispaniola today is shown developing into a low west of Bermuda within 36h (if it attracts the interest of the NHC it would be TD 20 and then possibly TS Valerie) and this deepens rapidly when it interacts with the frontal zone currently being pulled through the Great Lakes and northeast U.S. region towards the north Atlantic.

Given this origin and evolution it is not surprising to see such a difference in outcome on the ECM although even there you would get moderately strong south to southwest winds on Sunday night (the ECM appears 12h slower with its weaker scenario).

Anything could happen here, the feature in the subtropics could fail to develop at all, leaving the energy more as the ECM suggests, a trailing wave. Or this could explode into a late-season tropical storm as water temperatures are very conducive as far north as almost 40N and this is the prime development area for November cyclones (after the season we have had, one named storm in November would not be out of step at all).

If the 00z ECM comes on board then we have an alert situation in the making, after the superb job that the ECM did with Sandy, perhaps it is the turn of the other models to pick up earlier on this one. From what I recall, you could just about nowcast from the 192h ECM regarding Sandy.

Looks a wet one..

Rtavn1324.png

A late bloomer on the 18z.

Strikes the southwest coast when deepening rapidly.

That's the period when winds are usually there most severe, stingjets etc.

Flatters to decieve on the 18z. Appears to be deepening rapidly then steadies as makes landfall.

Rtavn1441.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The difference between the ECMWF and the UK and GFS is in the depth of the upper trough over the Great Lakes area at 96 hours. The ECM has it shallower than the others, leading to less gradient and forcing. This is plausable, as we know that the GFS does overdo cold troughing, which would generate a stronger gradient and hence jetstream. I would say something between the lot would be a good compromise, but I can't see the ECM being totally wrong in sticking to its guns.

Going to be interesting to see which model has the better handle on this. Classic model squabble scenario.

228336.png

smileyvault-popcorn.gif

The subtropical system is developing gradually and got a mention in the Tropical Weather Outlook but so far no indication of an investigation on the NHC map. Current location is near 27N 65W well to the east of Florida.

In the 00z model runs, I found the UK depiction most aggressive for Sunday and the GFS has toned down its development, while the GEM now goes more for the later secondary to develop, and the ECM has actually begun to develop the Sunday potential, so a lot of movement around the same sort of consensus, just different players for various roles.

This could end up doing almost anything and the timing is not very reliable in my opinion, there probably will be a strong wind event but timing could be anywhere from Sunday 18th to Thursday 22nd. On theoretical grounds I would favour the end of this time window and would not be surprised if the emphasis shifts to later in the week. So many of these tropical systems end up going a lot further north than first predicted and so it's a later round of development that might hit Ireland more directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Eireann ruling out any big wind event over the weekend or early next week
    2134 update WEEKEND: Cool over the weekend especially in northern counties. Mainly dry on Saturday with sunny spells, but showers will affect western and northern coastal counties. Saturday night will be cold with widespread sharp frost likely. Sunday will probably be a mostly dry day as well with some sunshine at first, but cloud will increase from the west as the day goes on, together with strengthening southerly winds, but rain will probably not arrive before evening time.

EARLY NEXT WEEK: Changeable with rain at times, but generally mild with southerly winds prevailing.

Latest UKMO fax at 120 hrs. Deep low but nothing particularly vigorous, though it seems that the ECMWF 12z has fallen more into the UKMO's projection rather than vice-versa.

228471.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Evelyn Cusack gave a nice description of how Met Eireann "come up" with the forecasts on the late night weather just there.Not sure if it wil be on the player.

• Advertisement

Currently the models remain lukewarm on this scenario, with about as much chance of a strong wind event mid-week as Sunday. No major model currently has depictions of any wind speeds greater than about 40-70 km/hr.

This is still very much "all up in the air" as we are dealing with this system evolving south of Bermuda:

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/satellite/animateweb_e.html?imagetype=satellite&imagename=goes_eusa_1070_m_..................jpg&nbimages=1&clf=1

Later readers please note, comments refer to the animation as of 14 Nov 21z.

The low is now near 30N and slowly evolving as per the guidance of the LGEM which is cited by the NHC as best guidance on this sort of transitional subtropical feature. So far the NHC have declined to give it any tropical billing such as the so-called "lemon" (yellow low risk of TC on map), after that comes tangerine and cherry (now you know what those US tropical guys are on about). After cherry comes TD, TS etc etc. This one just might become a "sub-tropical storm" before leaving 25C + waters around Friday morning south of NS-Nfld. I have not read any other opinions on this but feel that it could get that status and the name Valerie tomorrow. Also there are options for a TD or TS in the same general area next week.

Personally I would put my money on Thursday-Friday 22nd-23rd for any actual stronger winds to show up on later charts, and the period to about the end of November could become stormy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement