Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prank calls

Options
  • 15-04-2012 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

So after just thinking the other day about how prank calling has been long dead, I receive one tonight. The pranker played some english recording (Reminded me of something like Faulty Towers accent) of a woman saying loads of stuff then all I remember is 'Silence in the court' ' Are you happy now?'.

Anyway I've no idea what that was about and thought AH would be a good place to get some good stories about pranks you did/received or even something smart ass to reply to them? I always want a good reply but my mind goes blank as I sit their quietly estimating how much credit they're currently wasting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Back in the day when our home phone number was five digits :eek:...

We frequently got calls from people who thought we were the local video shop as their number was the same with the last two digits inverted.

They were usually calling to ask for a video (They were videos in dem days) to be held (yes, you did this back in the day, they had a very limited number of copies and demand outstripped supply).

I did get sick of telling people that they had the wrong number and explaining why so sometimes I would just say yes, 'Yes, I will hold The Shawshank Redemption' for you, no problem.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

couple of buddies of mine used to ring up the same hotel night time after time, night after night. Thing is as far as I could guess the hotel only had one phone line, must have been small, but the boys used just keep ringing over and over and they kept picking up because they didn't have caller ID either I guess. Eventually they got tired of just hanging up when the lads started calling them retarded or whatever they did and genuinely started begging the lads to stop calling as it was costing them business having their phone line tied up the whole time. They kept at it for another day or two anyway before they got bored. Not particularly funny but I have not heard of another prank call that succeeded in breaking the victim like that. Don't think it's a particularly great achievement myself but said I'd share it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So after just thinking the other day about how prank calling has been long dead, I receive one tonight. The pranker played some english recording (Reminded me of something like Faulty Towers accent) of a woman saying loads of stuff then all I remember is 'Silence in the court' ' Are you happy now?'.

Anyway I've no idea what that was about and thought AH would be a good place to get some good stories about pranks you did/received or even something smart ass to reply to them? I always want a good reply but my mind goes blank as I sit their quietly estimating how much credit they're currently wasting.

It's probably a crazy person, who found your number and is either going to kill you or just simply pranking you for the laugh. Was it a scary english accent? Those are the worst, send chills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Went through the phone book and found the number for Ben Dover. Rang him and called him a fúcking cúnt. Those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,968 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is your fridge running? You better run and catch it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

mackg wrote: »
    couple of buddies of mine used to ring up the same hotel night time after time, night after night. Thing is as far as I could guess the hotel only had one phone line, must have been small, but the boys used just keep ringing over and over and they kept picking up because they didn't have caller ID either I guess. Eventually they got tired of just hanging up when the lads started calling them retarded or whatever they did and genuinely started begging the lads to stop calling as it was costing them business having their phone line tied up the whole time. They kept at it for another day or two anyway before they got bored. Not particularly funny but I have not heard of another prank call that succeeded in breaking the victim like that. Don't think it's a particularly great achievement myself but said I'd share it anyway.

Your friends sound like complete fúcktards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

What direction does the water flow in your toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

call 11811:
    Hello, 11811 Mary speaking, how can i help you?
    Howaya Mary, can i have your number...

endless fun..

I had someone prank call me recently... got about 10 calls off this number over the course of about 2 months... they seemed like 12 year olds...i had the number blocked coz it was annoying... i think if they had a funny wind up or some sort of humour i would be less bothered...

i remember my mate opened the phone book and found a guy called Sinbad Wilnot and called him...back when we were teens

Hello
    Hi is that Sinbad?
    Yes..
    (mate didnt really prepare for this) eh im just calling to tell you that you have a bogey name..
    (not too sure what Sinbad said)
    yea alrite cheers, bye..

p.s. i like phone jacker on Channel 4

Rolli wrote: »
    Your friends sound like complete fúcktards

Cause I'm sure no one else looks back at anything they did as a teenager and wonders why they did it. Especially the righteous white knights of after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

An ex friend of mine used to really fancy this guy.... Her strange way of her showing it was going through the golden pages and looking up skip companies... 9am Saturday mornings, the poor chap used to have a skip dude knocking at his door. Other things she did was order taxis, pizzas etc...

Notice how I said ex friend of mine! Turns out she is a fruit and nut cake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

This is old but classic. Tell a friend they have missed a call from ''Rory Lyons.'' Give them an (01)******* number to ring back. The number is actually for Dublin Zoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

gammygils wrote: »
    This is old but classic. Tell a friend they have missed a call from ''Rory Lyons.'' Give them an (01)******* number to ring back. The number is actually for Dublin Zoo!!

excellent, i heard about that one before... dublin zoo made a nationwide plea to stop this as it was bombarded with calls...

the world needs more of this type of stuff if you ask me...

is there a new one we could create to get Irish people to ring the IMF or the European Central Bank asking for....? (help me out) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I think after the Scream movie came out people started to feel weird about making/receiving prank calls.

I won't prank Patricia and ask her if her fridge is running because she'll get a knife and hide behind the sofa, waiting for the police to arrive.

Piriz wrote: »
    excellent, i heard about that one before... dublin zoo made a nationwide plea to stop this as it was bombarded with calls...

is there a new one we could create to get Irish people to ring the IMF or the European Central Bank asking for....? (help me out) :)

April Fools day I got a call off my housemate giving me the the number for fota in Cork saying "Ger Raffe" was looking for me. Same kinda thing, the ger raffe one has been around as long as they have had giraffes in fota I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Piriz wrote: »

Ask for ''Count De Monnaie'' or ''Joe King'' You must be Joe King!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

When I was about twelve I randomly came up with numbers and rang them. Once they answered, I played my talking WWF action figures down the line to them.

One posh aul bird answered and I played The Rock down the line to her, "Do you smell what the rock is cooking?", "Now your role, jabroni". She mentions the gardai and I quickly hung up.

Phone rings a second or two after I hand up. She must have had caller id! I pick it up and slam the receiver down straight away. This goes on for a minute or two until me ma comes into the sitting room to see what the hell is going on.

Next time the phone rang me ma picked it up and there was me caught rapid. Grounded for a week. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

fonejacker is the king of prank calls :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I was working a spud digger in Tasmania april fools day and I had a UHF 2 way radio in the tractor. While I was fixing a break down one of the lads I work with asked an English girl working with me to call up one of the Aussie drivers in another field for a spare black dicktinite which he told her was broken. She got up in the tractor with the rest of us listening, reply down the radio came from an old Aussie, "I'm sure it could be arranged love!"

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

At a wedding one day and someone rang reception and got the receptionist to ask Mike Hunt to come to reception over the intercom

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There's a carpet shop called Lino Ritchie. Best name for a shop ever!!! We used to ring from work and when they'd answer with Hello..........we'd go
    "Hello................................is it me you're looking for?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

This is me, is that you? It confuses them so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

We frequently got calls from people who thought we were the local video shop as their number was the same with the last two digits inverted.

That word...is does not mean what you think it means.

http://www.gatito.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/780r82CochraneSt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

gammygils wrote: »
    We used to do that but for Annie Lyons both the Dublin Zoo and Foto Island now have prerecorded greetings that answer automatically, give your mate a number for a pet shop instead.

Another great one we did was put an ad up on donedeal for a Rio back massager, only used a few times and came with various accessories, foot maassager, sports massager etc and finally a rectal prob. We offered a free demo before you bought it and put up my bosses phone number. Some guy hounded him for ages looking to try it out.

Not as good but reserve loads of stuff online through Argos, they send out a confirmation text. The weirder the item the better.

Alternatively call someone's house / job when they are out so someone else will answer and take a message. Option one be a very annoyed person from the sperm bank, explain they are meant to put it in the test tube first and then out the test tube in a bag. Option two (rather mean so I've never done it) leave a message simply asking them to call you back on xxxxx, sorry you can't say more as its a personal matter, either leave the number for a pregnancy counselling service or a STD clinic. Now if human nature takes its course the person answering will be curious and call the number back to see where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

That word...is does not mean what you think it means.
    I think it might 66 99

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

They were usually calling to ask for a video (They were videos in dem days) to be held (yes, you did this back in the day, they had a very limited number of copies and demand outstripped supply).

I did get sick of telling people that they had the wrong number and explaining why so sometimes I would just say yes, 'Yes, I will hold The Shawshank Redemption' for you, no problem.'

haha

maybe they were looking for "Liverpool, the Glory days". A long search.

Mr Carroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ah, prank calls. Myself and my mates used to make them all the time when we were kids. Things like "are there any Walls in the house?" and "is Mike Hunt there?" and so on.:pac:

Once when I was about 13, my mate and myself made a reverse charge prank call to some woman in Kerry. My mate put on this mad bogger accent and spoke to her for about 3 or 4 mins. The stupid thing we did was to give the operator my number so she rang us back pronto and demanded to speak with my mum.:eek::rolleyes: Luckily I managed to talk her out of it by telling her that my "simple" brother made the call.

Some years later we would ring up the Chris Barry show on FM 104 and go live on the air with our made up sh*t.:D We recorded these on tape to play back to mates for a laugh. It was gas - the amount of times we'd rip the piss out of Chris and his guests!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I did this a few years ago, couple more on that channel by a friend of mine also. I was hopelessly bad at it but google had a number you could call on skype and then be directed to any business in USA. The time difference allowed us to get home from school and spend the next few hours calling around to the only american businesses we knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Evie90

When I was 16 or 17 a group lads kept prank calling me with their charming sexual innuendo and occasional put downs depending on their mood, so after a month or so of this going on every weekend one of them forgot to put their number on private, so I hung up after a minute and called him back and said 'you have reached the vodafone voice-mail service of 087.....' in that really robotic voice, I kept doing it ever few minutes until he turned off his phone....never got a prank call of them ever again. I think I must of really freaked the poor creaturs out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think in these days of caller ID, nuisance phone call laws and the internet, prank calls are now a thing of the past.:o For my generation they were a rite of passage!:pac:

Advertisement