Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

1st weekend, 2nd week of March - changes coming

• 26-02-2012 10:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

It's pretty quiet in here atm understandably nothing tremendously exciting having occured this last week. And nothing exciting is going to occur this coming week either. It's more of the same for much of the coming week but turning more unsettled next weekend. Relatively mild throughout particularly up to Wednesday when temperatures will still be reaching the dizzy heights of 12 or 13c. Gradually cooler thereafter.

It's early days but signs are big changes are evolving in the weather for next weekend onward although timing is skewed across the models. There is reasonable agreement that a much colder Northwesterly flow should initially become established bringing a period of polar maritime conditions and wintry showers, return of night time frosts.

Here the track diverges on what happens next. ATM a continuation of polar maritime regime seems more likely however there is also a lower chance of Northeasterlies becoming established aswell as pressure builds to the Northeast. Watch this space. There is some confidence across the models right now. And no matter what happens we may well see this place light up like a Christmas tree again toward the end of the week!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

you mean mr weather is going to come back from his season vacation?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Your like a "Terminator" Darman2. You just wont go away. Hope your right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Joe Public

darkman2 wrote: »
    Hi all!
    And no matter what happens we may well see this place light up like a Christmas tree again toward the end of the week!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

animated_christmas_tree.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Love it Darkman, good stuff.

I look forward to you starting a thread at the end of July...."Possible cold snap early August" :D

Now for all the gloom merchants to spoil it.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Had a look at this development a few days ago but sheesh its so far out it may as well be classed as FI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Tis is a long way out.

I'm hoping it stays mild. Days are getting longer. Shorts are coming back into fashion and Northerly flow may just mean we will be cold and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I have been reading the charts also darkman,its a bit out in fi,but deffently worth keeping an eye on.also i said in a past post that we could have a white easter and i still think we will... many of the older folk from around where i live now and where i use to live up near wicklow mountains keep saying to me it will be a snowy easter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

No real specifics yet but looks like we might actually get a bit of active weather again from next weekend. I'd take anything at this stage really, as long as its a break from this misty drizzle we've had almost constantly for the entire month in the north west

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

The trend has being for a colder start to spring in the models over the last 2 weeks, well in FI, But they are starting to show a NE flow if it keeps going with this trend for the next few days, who knows what could happen maybe winter could be making up for lost time:)

ECM0-240.GIF

gfs-1-240.png?6?6

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭odyboody

Ah now lads and lasses, We all know in our hearts and souls it will swivel and any cold will head for the balkans and Greece:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I don't think my heart could cope with the charts going back and forward! I'm all for the weather to move onto the next season now :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

For weather fans who most of the visitors in here are its been such a boring 12 months of weather. The seasons have more or less disappeared with very little variations. Something has to give at some stage. Maybe this cold spell will happen but i fear the weather will continue as is. We need some sort of weather event to restore interest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

at this stage i'd rather the mild continue and keep building into a warm and sunny summer saving the proper cold stuff for next winter.

Gonzo wrote: »
    at this stage i'd rather the mild continue and keep building into a warm and sunny summer saving the proper cold stuff for next winter.

I wished it worked that way Gonzo but its Ireland we live in, who knows what the summer will bring, but im sure most of us would love a decent cold blast in the next few weeks to make up for the rubbish winter and this non weather we are stuck in the last few weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Joe Public wrote: »

animated_christmas_tree.gif

I like that so much I just have to re-post it. Bittersweet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

For weather fans who most of the visitors in here are its been such a boring 12 months of weather. The seasons have more or less disappeared with very little variations. Something has to give at some stage. Maybe this cold spell will happen but i fear the weather will continue as is. We need some sort of weather event to restore interest.

Debatable from a farming viewpoint, it has been a great 12 months of weather.

We need a heatwave for the interest. I think the cold will just cause depression at this stage with most people looking forward to a decent spring and nice weather.
    Snow and ice = not nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

At this stage i really want to be banned and not allowed to view this forum:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Cold weather gone of the GFS run? Far to early to call it on or off anyways.

This low was undercutting Ireland. Now it swings north over Scotland. We get a weak north westerly after that.

airpressure.png

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

The best thing the weather forum has done this winter season is, it has highlighted the fact that weather CANNOT BE FORECAST beyond 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

if i remember my o level geography right we are a temperate climate
    i.e. having a climate intermediate between tropical and polar; moderate or mild in temperature;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Snow for Paddy's Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Double figures in temp for the weekend according to MET

Very nice GFS 12Z run for the cold lovers:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Very nice GFS 12Z run for the cold lovers:)

GEFS 12z similar. Something to watch for the next few days anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

March certainly will be less boring than February.

But thats not hard after this years FeBOREy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

pauldry wrote: »
    March certainly will be less boring than February.

But thats not hard after this years FeBOREy

On the basis of this morning's charts there is no sign of any real cold for the foreseeable (inc FI) future. -6's @ 850 make a very brief flirtation once or twice in the next few weeks but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

oh god noooooooooo:eek: don't think i can another turn of will it won't it game:( it's not fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just for fun, the ECM 12z run this evening is showing the potential for an occlusion to bring snowfall (esp for high ground) in the southeast of the country as an developing wave depression passes to the south of Ireland sometime early Sunday morning.

an_1.gif
    Image Source: Vedur.is

Cold air being being drawn into an occlusion as it swings up over the country. 99% chance that it won't happen of course but the actual wave depression itself might be something to watch over the weekend even if that ends up missing us as well (as usual).

EDIT: GFS 12z dosen't really develop the wave feature at all but still on the cool side with just the usual mix of weak wintry type showers that serve no real purpose but to annoy:

194762.png

Slop!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Everyone says we are heading for almost average temps and even (:eek:) a few wintery showers and maybe some frost by the week-end!

Time for Darkman to start a thread????

What :confused:

He already did? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Wild Bill wrote: »

Time for Darkman to start a thread????

What :confused:

He already did? :(

We have to take the scraps where we can find them. But I agree, we are reaching new lows in the search for something interesting in the weather. 2012 continuing the trend of 2011 in spectacular fashion in this regard it would seem. :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement