Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushcraft and utility knives

Options
  • 23-11-2011 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭

Of all the tools used in bushcraft and survival, the knife is the fundamental building block, since you can use that to get everything else. It can be used to cut and produce cordage, skin and clean animals and fish, process wood for fire and shelter, even make fire, man's oldest tool and the most useful. So your bush knife isn't something to skimp on.

Its important as well to make sure that your knife is razor sharp, as in easily cut paper sharp. My rule of thumb is for every ten minutes of accumulated use, sharpen it again.

Myself I have two, a small folder I use for fishing and everyday tasks about the house, and a larger utility knife. The folder is the Caledonian edge from cold steel, the gentleman's folder, based on the Scottish Skean Dubh or black knife kept in the sporran. Pleasing lines, simple appearance, and I like the micarta handle as well.

ce1hr.jpg
    ce2xev.jpg
    ce3z.jpg
    ce4n.jpg
    ce5o.jpg
    ce6o.jpg

If you're thinking about getting one of these, make sure you order direct from Cold Steel stockists, there are a LOT of fakes going around.

The second one is the Ka-Bar, reputed to have gained its name after a message from a grateful trapper was sent to the manufacturers in the 19th century, who was unfortunately barely literate, thanking them for its help in "killing a bear", which he abbreviated to Ka-Bar. The name stuck, and we have a solid, respected knife which has seen use all over the world for the last century and more.

kb1w.jpg

I use this for heavier tasks like chopping wood and hammering in tent pegs. The tang is wide and contained inside the handle for strength, I will say this, if you're getting a leather handle and mean to go anywhere near salt water, you need to varnish or paint it or the handle will turn soft and sticky.

kb2qd.jpg
    kb3v.jpg

The only other thing of note is the modified sheath, which I've added a couple of clips to for side-carry on the front or back, one clip goes around the belt, the other snaps to a belt loop. It can be handy to secure it like this for climbing or other situations where you don't need it flapping around, and also hangs securely inverted from the shoulderslung molle bag I have.

kb4u.jpg

For the purposes of this thread if people could share their preferred utility knives rather than katanas and such, that might be best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I use an old mauser knife that I bought in the late 80's as my main knife. Its basically a swiss army knife on steroids as its slightly larger than your typical swiss army type knife.

Victorinox-Mauser-Lg.jpg

I dont have a pic handy of the actual knife as I am traveling at the moment. By all accounts its quite valuable now but mine has had fairly heavy use since the late 80's and still going strong. I have mine attached to a para cord lanyard with about 25 meters of cord attached to my jacket. Two blades are useful, I can skin quite well with the pointed blade and the normal blade for most other tasks, even the saw works bests of all I have tried.

My utility knife is a ex Gurkha issue Kukri, its does everything I ask of it and more. Its heavy but worth the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I like the modification that facilitates the knife hanging upside down. My big knife is similar to the Ka-ba, it's one of the USMC knifes. The handle is polycarbonate sp? but basically the same.

I have various leatherman, buck etc and other knifes that I use as everyday knifes, I often swap them around. The area I need help with is sharpening, I'm afarid that I will mess the blades up, any suggestions on an easy way to get started?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Of all the knives there are 2 that i use all the time. The first is a hunting knife i bought a few years ago, its similar to a buck knife just a bit cheaper. This does all my hard work, choping wood ect and has taken a fair few fox tails and the likes. still sharp enough to shave, i just checked on my arm
    008xb.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

011hhm.jpg

By far the knife i use more than any other is an opinal No.7. this one is well over a year old, lives in my pocket and is used dozens of times a day, it has skinned and gutted literally hundreds of rabbits, cut the wings off countless pigeons and all it askes for is one or 2 rubs of a stone every week or so and its as sharp as the day i paid €8 for it:cool: if you dont have one get one!
    014hvf.jpg

Just for you Odysseus, some great reading
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72714711

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Those are some experienced looking blades Kil, the very best kind. Also if I ever need a shave I'll know who to look up!

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, i didnt buy them to leave in the box anyway:D They get a good clean after every outing and a rub of gun oil every now and then to keep em fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I have custom knives that cost hundreds and are spectacular to use and look at, but for everyday use and abuse I like to use a buck 110. I usually keep the Mora clipper carbon in my BOB but take it with me when I'm camping. You really can't underestimate this knife. Amazing quality.

I'm going to try my hand at putting a handle on either an enzo trapper, a falkniven f1, or a similar full tang blade in the near future. The new model condor bushlore looks like it could be a great knife with a bit of tidying up on the grind and nice burr wood re-handle and a better sheath. I'm considering ordering one of these and putting a bit of work into it too.

Here are some pics. The gransfors small forest axe and the buck are basically new in these pics: they look a little different now!

ssl22473.th.jpg
    ssl22470.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

What would the ideal survival knife be made of / look like / do and why ? If you could carry one, just one knife what would you want in that knife?

davymoore wrote: »
    What would the ideal survival knife be made of / look like / do and why ?
    An unbreakable, non corroding, extremely sharp piece of metal big enough to baton logs that you never need to maintain would do it for me. :D

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    An unbreakable, non corroding, extremely sharp piece of metal big enough to baton logs that you never need to maintain would do it for me. :D
    ill take one too please:D

• Advertisement

So a stainless steel blade at least 100mm long and thick enough to baton logs so 4.5mm thickness or more ...........sounds good

What about a blade profile (shape) any other duties other than splitting logs ?
    Would it need a handle ? if so .. What material in handle? Why?
    What steel in blade? Stainless I know but anything more specific ?
    Does it need a finger guard ? or a big pommel for hammering ?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but maybe if everyone put their heads together based on their own requirements and experiences the perfect knife might be designable or indeed already exist

Hey Davy,

For an ultimate all rounder/ bushcraft survival knife, I'd like something along the lines of a more clipper, but with a full tang and a slightly broader blade. The narrow spine would be of great benefit. I think 4.5 mm is way too thick. The advantage of splitting logs hinders the smaller jobs for which the knife will be used. A narrower blade can also split small logs in a push. But ideally I see a heavy job like this being done with an axe.

The scandi grinds are nice and easy to sharpen, so for practical reasons they would be good.

I do like the full grind on the flankniven F1 though.

A nice burr wood handle would be nice. I guess something stabilized would be the way to go. I'd like a nice piece of buckeye maple for the handle.

I think 4 inches would be the max for me on the blade. I'd rather have a small knife and an axe than a big knife that has to try and be everything.

I can see something like this being a do all knife.

I'll probably think of more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

What would the ideal survival knife be made of / look like / do and why ? If you could carry one, just one knife what would you want in that knife?

Hmmm kind of a "whats better for building a house..A saw or screwdriver ?"Question.:)
    From my experiance,you need a big blade for your chopping hacking and a smaller blade for more precise cutting work.Als the Puma Waidwerk set.A big blade[white hunter] chopping blade and a smaller version for more precise cutting tasks.

Forget hollow handle designs...
    Unless it is somthing like a Chris Reeve or Cold Steeel Bushman,and then the Bushman wins as the storage space will actually hold somthing of value and serve a purpose as a spear socket type thingy.Although why you would want to be chucking your one and only knife around the countryside is beyond me.

It has to be a one piece bit of steel.Stainless or surgical is out for me as I find it impossible to get a razor edge on them.I can get a working edge,but nothing great.SS is also fine if you are going to be around saltwater alot[IE a divers knife]
    I would go somthing that is a upgraded tool steel that can be easily sharpned,Appx 12 ins length in either a modified Tanto point or big bellied point.[Personal choice and preference]
    Handle material , linen micrata grips. Grip should have a slight bow in it ala a kukri for easier chopping and return draw.
    I like a flat pommel as well for pounding things.
    Saw backs,I've yet to find one that actually works properly.So I'd rather a double edge knife.That has one side extremly sharp for cutting and one with a more general edge for day to day work. Mark the sharp edge with a hole in the blade grove.So it can be felt in the dark.

Sheath....Codura with hard inserts with a large pocket for carring extra gear and at least six different lashing points.Or a extra sheath for holding a smaller style knife.

That woud be a good starting basis for me.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

What would the ideal survival knife be made of / look like / do and why ?
    It would be a carbon steel Loveless or Dozier first choice :D

After that maybe something in an exotic steel, CPM Rex 121 or some new Carpenter CPM steel.

It would be about three inch in length with a full flat or full height convex grind, and be slicing sharp, not for batoning.

Maybe something like the small hunter Phil Wilson does, crazy hard thin "super steels".

For a proper woods and hunting knife I like the looks of the Mors Kochanski inspired Skookum Bush tool

bushcrafters-7

http://www.skookumbushtool.com/

But why stop at just one ;)

After that maybe something in an exotic steel, CPM Rex 121 or some new Carpenter CPM steel.
    What's your thinking on San Mai III steel?

Originally Posted by Deise Musashi viewpost.gif

Farid Mehr made a a couple of cutting competition knives from CPM Rex 121 one time and I remember him saying that it took over 400 abrasive belts to grind one blade. At a fiver or so each it made for one expensive piece of kit. But then I also remember him saying something about chopping over a thousand cans before it lost its edge, so obviously pretty impressive stuff. He still has one for sale if anyone has the urge.

What's your thinking on San Mai III steel?

I'm guessing this is on Cold Steel's offerings?

I'm not that impressed with the spec. I've been able to find on these. The old "Carbon V" knives were made by Camillus, and were good stuff. The newer offerings use different makers and the reviews haven't been as glowing.

I'm sure the knives are tough enough, I have a couple in the standard AUS8, and they do fine. I wouldn't be inclined to pay the premium for laminated VG-1, when there are much better knives for similar or less money.

A Cold Steel San Mai Trailmaster is $289.95 on Knifecenter.

Kniveshipfree will sell me an A2 Bark River Bravo 2 for $230, or the BRKT STS8 in 154cm for $230, or even a Blackjack 1-7 or halo attack for $210.

I like Cold Steel, but their premium steel isn't really compared to some stuff that is out there, and they should lower their prices accordingly.
    For a beater though a standard Recon Scout is pretty sweet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

There's something about CS knives that I don't like. Any one I've ever used was fine. I think I just tend to associate them with the ridicules videos they do, or the fact Ive seen them for sale in gadget shops.

kieranfitz wrote: »
    There's something about CS knives that I don't like. Any one I've ever used was fine. I think I just tend to associate them with the ridicules videos they do, or the fact Ive seen them for sale in gadget shops.
    Hahaha, I deliberately didn't link to the videos of the well provisioned gent in the short shorts (why?) kung-fuing his way through a side of ham to heavy metal background music. I have to say I'm very satisfied with everything I have from them so far though, and thats the skean dubh, a shillelagh, and one other item. I haven't managed to put them beyond their tolerances yet, and not for lack of trying.

Would I feel comfortable trusting my life to them? I'd have to say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Hahaha, I deliberately didn't link to the videos of the well provisioned gent in the short shorts (why?) kung-fuing his way through a side of ham to heavy metal background music. I have to say I'm very satisfied with everything I have from them so far though, and thats the skean dubh, a shillelagh, and one other item. I haven't managed to put them beyond their tolerances yet, and not for lack of trying.

Well you probably could have linked a nutnfancy video if we had a spare 3 hours to watch it. been tempted by a shillelagh. partly because my knees aren't great anymore, at 27, :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    QUOTE=Doc Ruby;75673494]Hahaha, I deliberately didn't link to the videos of the well provisioned gent in the short shorts (why?) kung-fuing his way through a side of ham to heavy metal background music.

Thats Lynn C Thompson.The prez and founder of CS.A gent ,despite his middle age sag is somone I would not mess with.From his web page.

Lynn Thompson, the President, founder and face of Cold Steel, Inc., is a life-long practitioner of martial arts. He has studied and trained in Western Boxing, Kali, Thai Boxing and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. He is also highly skilled in Shoot Fighting, Stick Fighting, Saber Fencing, and, above all, Knife Fighting. He has been consistently refining his skills for well over thirty years.
    He currently spends fourteen to sixteen hours a week in training, six of which are spent taking private lessons with Ron Balicki, Anthony DeLongis, and other highly respected martial artists.

I have seen him in a demo in LA years ago..You do not mess with this guy!!He was younger then,but he knows his stuff.
    Never underestimate old fat guys or anyone you face off against.

Personally,I'd rather see [even if it is an advert] how much abuse a knife can take and I'd rather CS broke theirs than one I have to buy and pay for.

I
    have to say I'm very satisfied with everything I have from them so far though, and thats the skean dubh, a shillelagh, and one other item. I haven't managed to put them beyond their tolerances yet, and not for lack of trying.

Cant fault you on that.Any of my CS knives ,I cant find any trouble with.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Would you lads be interested in designing a new bushcrafting/survival knife?

If so I'd build it and we can do a pass-around with say 10-20 people to try it out for a while test it and see how it performs in the field.

Davy

Thats a good idea Davy always on the sale :) id be up for that. Could you make the blade longer than you usually do? Most of your knives iv seen have short blades

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hi Davy, I would be interested in as well so you can count me in on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

If so I'd build it and we can do a pass-around with say 10-20 people to try it out for a while test it and see how it performs in the field.

Davy

Just googled you, stunning work. I would be very keen as well in the survival knife.

I will drop you mail about some ideas for a custom knife I am thinking about. It will be February before I confirm though as I need to recover from Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

For fishing / hunting i love the Mora knives they cost nothing (€5) and are razor sharp
    For heavy work i have a K2 in kydex sheath
    Along with the Ka-Bar Sog Seal Pup and a number of Vitorinox pen knives Gerber Gator folding lock knives and multi tools depending what im doing or where im going to what i carry (if any)

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thats Lynn C Thompson.The prez and founder of CS.A gent ,despite his middle age sag is somone I would not mess with.From his web page.

Lynn Thompson, the President, founder and face of Cold Steel, Inc., is a life-long practitioner of martial arts. He has studied and trained in Western Boxing, Kali, Thai Boxing and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. He is also highly skilled in Shoot Fighting, Stick Fighting, Saber Fencing, and, above all, Knife Fighting. He has been consistently refining his skills for well over thirty years.
    He currently spends fourteen to sixteen hours a week in training, six of which are spent taking private lessons with Ron Balicki, Anthony DeLongis, and other highly respected martial artists.

I have seen him in a demo in LA years ago..You do not mess with this guy!!He was younger then,but he knows his stuff.
    Never underestimate old fat guys or anyone you face off against.
    Sure but...

would it kill him to put on some pants...

kieranfitz wrote: »
    been tempted by a shillelagh. partly because my knees aren't great anymore, at 27, :(
    Its a very solid piece, but you need to shoe it and maybe put rubber on the bottom as it has no grip at all. I wrapped a bit of brass round the bottom of mine, but some just use standard medical walking stick shoes.

I bought a few Cold Steel Kobun's a few years ago when they were on sale. I gave them to mates who I knew would abuse the ****e out of them.

We all grew up in the era when the Cold Steel Tanto was the be all and end all of knives :rolleyes:

So far none of the knives have broken, even after being used to cut open oil barrels or steel banding on bales of blocks. The boys have been well impressed by how their knives held up.

Their wives and GF's were less impressed with me handing out "combat knives" to the lads. :D

I prefer other knives these days, but I've owned my share of Cold Steel!

• Advertisement

Davy

Good idea ;) I already have a sketch in my head.

Advertisement