Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerbdog's Naomi 'New Net City' Refurb - WiP

Options
  • 20-10-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    After a much research and hunting, I finally bought 2 Naomi standup 'New Net City' cabs. The idea is that one is a donor cab, but the donor will be fully working when I'm done but just won't look as well as the main cab.

Before:
    178740.jpg

New controls & panel installed:
    178741.jpg

The cab now, but with lots to do - yea can just see the donor cab to the right:
    178739.jpg

Gotta work on removing the monitor and the two main arms so I can remove the bottom system box and clean that up.
    Maybe converting to a sit down machine?
    Thinking of painting the whole thing but unsure what colour...white? black? Any suggestions?

I plan to update this thread if I do anything major :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know, I think you should pop it into my kitchen, forever!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Congrats on the cabs dude. Love the look of the new cp, very nice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Well done man.

2 candies is always better than one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yeah lovely looking man..seen that CP somewhere before and loved the look.
    Posh b4stard with your "doner" cab as well.Most dream of one and hope for the best :)
    Are they Jamma wired or will you have to convert from JVS?

You should cut the arms on one to make it a sit down and vert monitor..
    Colour...bright orange!
    Congrats again

Lol talk about going OT, poor Kerbdog's thread is ruined. :o
    I wonder would it be better if the general arcade talk was moved to it's own thread? Would be nice to have a thread for all things arcade related anyway.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Lol talk about going OT, poor Kerbdog's thread is ruined. :o
    I wonder would it be better if the general arcade talk was moved to it's own thread? Would be nice to have a thread for all things arcade related anyway.

Yeah, we dirtied it up a bit all right.
    Sorry Kerbdog :o

I think a general arcade thread(no consoles or anything like that) is a great idea.
    Arcade talk 24/7/365 (not a bad thread name :)) , but you know how all of use are we'd start talking about consoles and computers in it :pac:

Make it so Andrew :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sounds like a plan, I'll move your ramblings over there, it'd be good for the rest of us to know where you lot are at any given time, corall the trouble makers so to speak...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Steve SI wrote: »
    Sorry Kerbdog :o.

Ditto. Sorry chief! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan, I'll move your ramblings over there, it'd be good for the rest of us to know where you lot are at any given time, corall the trouble makers so to speak...

Would be great if yea could split the thread alright :)

Small update, 6 button loom now installed! Capcom Vs. SNK fun is to be had!

Yeah lovely looking man..seen that CP somewhere before and loved the look.
    Posh b4stard with your "doner" cab as well.Most dream of one and hope for the best :)
    Are they Jamma wired or will you have to convert from JVS?

You should cut the arms on one to make it a sit down and vert monitor..
    Colour...bright orange!
    Congrats again

They are both JVS or JAMMA2(?) at the mo.

On cutting, I think I will need to as I'm finding I'm too tall for the stand up setup. Nervous about cutting tough, but I have the donor cab so if it all goes wrong I can just swap the legs.

Colour, think the missus wouldn't be impressed with a bright orange cab in her new kitchen. Black maybe?

• Advertisement

How about a nice white and magenta? :D

Don't think herself would appreciate that :)

Maybe just white again?
    Right, time to research how to spray paint plastics and metal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

We'll I'd paint it white but the silver side covers I'd do black with a either a silver or blue stripe up the middle :D

Only just noticed but how come the button positions are different for P1 and P2? As in P1 B3 and B6 sit lower than B2 and B5, whereas with P2 they're pretty much level. Is that how they are normally with the NNC?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Only just noticed but how come the button positions are different for P1 and P2? As in P1 B3 and B6 sit lower than B2 and B5, whereas with P2 they're pretty much level. Is that how they are normally with the NNC?
    Sega angled the button placement to make it "easier" for 2 tiny Japanese people to sit side-by-side and play.
    Which is silly, since all their VS cabs are head-to-head linked machines.

We'll I'd paint it white but the silver side covers I'd do black with a either a silver or blue stripe up the middle :D
    I'm thinking of using black for all the current white metals/plastics.
    Now what version of black? Satin or matt?

I'm guessing for the plastics I will need to fill in the nicks/scuffs with a filler and then prime it - maybe this would suit?
    For the metal, I'm thinking this as a primer this might work.

What grade of sand paper would I use? 600? 1200? Wet? Dry? Wet&Dry?

Anyone have any tips on how to do it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For plastic anything, you want to use a vinyl DYE instead.
    Permanent colour change, keeps original texture, only needs 1-2 light coats & is touch-dry in hours, and no primer needed — the only prep is a good wipe-down with warm soapy water (though you could work up to a high-grit sandpaper if the plastic is a bit scuffed).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    For plastic anything, you want to use a vinyl DYE instead.
    Permanent colour change, keeps original texture, only needs 1-2 light coats & is touch-dry in hours, and no primer needed — the only prep is a good wipe-down with warm soapy water (though you could work up to a high-grit sandpaper if the plastic is a bit scuffed).

Cheers for the tip K.O.Kiki - thinking I might go down the matt black route, believe that paint would keep the shine on the cab which I'm not looking to keep.
    Started last night to fill in the worse damage (nics, scrapes) - worked great but turned out that the filler was stronger than the plastic :) makes for interesting sanding and sore fingers.
    Tonight, 1200 wet/dry sanding and then primer/filler then a sanding then maybe the first coat of matt black...it can go two ways. Great or crap. Fingers crossed

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Cheers for the tip K.O.Kiki - thinking I might go down the matt black route, believe that paint would keep the shine on the cab which I'm not looking to keep.
    Started last night to fill in the worse damage (nics, scrapes) - worked great but turned out that the filler was stronger than the plastic :) makes for interesting sanding and sore fingers.
    Tonight, 1200 wet/dry sanding and then primer/filler then a sanding then maybe the first coat of matt black...it can go two ways. Great or crap. Fingers crossed

Are you not sticking with the original colour scheme of the cab?

Steve SI wrote: »
    Are you not sticking with the original colour scheme of the cab?

Not planning to since the cab will be in a kitchen/dinning room - need it to blend in as much as it can. Thinking the matt black will help a little. Will prob also look about cutting it down to be a sitdown cab

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Will prob also look about cutting it down to be a sitdown cab

:eek:

Pyongyang wrote: »
    :eek:

Turns out I'm too tall for it :) hurts my back just to play it as I have to stoop down to play.

The conversion to sit down is fairly common - http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1291
    They could be bought as a sit down and even conversion kits came from Sega but cost huge money

Oh, you could put it on blocks!
    There's tons of them lying around outside there!

Harness for the control panel to Mini-PAC finished.
    181188.jpg
    Tested main cab monitor with PC which could output the 640x480 needed. Worked great! Meaning my Mame/Multi-Emu plans are now plug'n'play :D

Now, still working on the spraying of the cab parts. Thinking I prob won't do it but get someone pro to do it instead

So got peeved off today and decided to attempt to spray paint the control panel as a test since I had already filled/primed/sanded it.

Colour of choice - Matt Black.

The result turned out OK I think, good for a first attempt I think. Pics below of the control deck with the controls reattached and the other bits added on.
    182264.jpg

Close ups
    182265.jpg
    182266.jpg

Best bits of advice,
    - ensure you have primed/sanded and cleaned the surface before final spraying.
    - make sure your spray can of paint is room temperature and shaken well. 5min of a good shake worked for me. Maybe less would do but I will stick with the 5min from now on.
    - take your time, many passes. During one spray session don't go over the same section twice as you will only create a blob.
    Spray, wait 10-15min, spray, wait 10-15min and repeat until you can't see the primer anymore.

Now to focus on the larger parts...not looking forward to the monitor surround. Many nooks and clip on bits. Might glue them and fill the gaps?

Since the control panel went so well I've started to work on the monitor surround parts - taken it all appart and will paint them all separately from advice from a work colleague. Primer already on the smaller parts and the large cover is ready for primer. Need to find something large to protect the wall/floor in the warehouse while I'm painting it :D

The screen front/cover before and after pics after breaking the section apart into 5 parts, sanding, priming, sanding, spraying with a matt black paint and reassembly.

184216.jpg
    184217.jpg

In other news, have the frame legs chopped and now just need to re-add the mounting holes. Will see about putting everything back together and testing before attempting to prep/spray the metal parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The purists will be up in angst :D

Very interested to see how this turns out. Some balls cutting up a Candy Cab man!

EnterNow wrote: »
    The purists will be up in angst :D

Very interested to see how this turns out. Some balls cutting up a Candy Cab man!

Sure its a New Net City / Naomi Net City cab :) no fear! ....and I still have that other cab should it all go tits up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Cutting a Naomi down to sit down size is pretty typical behavour even amongst purists. The sit down version which you see in Japan is pretty much exactly that.

I think painting it black is a mistake though. Black plastic cabinets always look cheap to me. I've seen it done to a variety of Net Cities, Egrets and Ponys and it always looks naff.

Advertisement