Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Active Cold Front - 17th October 2011

• 16-10-2011 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

This may well turn into a complete flop but there seems to be a possibility that tomorrow's cold front passage will be accompanied by some very squally winds as well as some heavy rain in places

HIRLAM 850 temps and windspeed for tomorrow:

Hirlam_850_ani.gif

Very sharp temperature gradient aligned with the cold front so a chance that there may be some convective elements contained within the actual front which could lead to very strong winds locally as it moves over the country tomorrow afternoon. Small chance of thunder also.

One to watch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Looks powerful with 120 kt wind at 500 mbs and rapid thickness falls at the height of the daytime heating cycle, would not be surprised if there are some reports of thunder, hail and damaging wind gusts including but not confined to the Dublin region.

For those in the north, this will not just blow through with clearing to follow. The surface winds may actually ramp up overnight into Tuesday, so there may be two wind max periods, one around 1100h then another around 0300h Tuesday. Further south and east, the mid-day frontal passage will probably be the stronger of the two peaks. Timing this for 1200-1300h Galway and 1300-1400h Dublin (will be moving east at 70-80 knots).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Cameras at the ready so! :)... Might try have a time-lapse for the day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Cameras at the ready so! :)... Might try have a time-lapse for the day! :)

Damn you having your camera LOL I'm not getting my D90 till end of November :(

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Will we see snow in Blessington Co. Wicklow we are 600 + above sea level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Will we see snow in Blessington Co. Wicklow we are 600 + above sea level?

You mean 600 FEET. Snow only above around 400 METRES (1,300 feet) in the north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Ah well I live in hope.

Damn you having your camera LOL I'm not getting my D90 till end of November :(

Well... ill be using my Brother's D200 for the time-lapse.

Wish i had gotten my GO Pro HD camera earlier! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Finally some weather to talk about & watch out for that isn't in FI or MT's winter forecast :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Met Eireann's sea area forecast has gale force to strong gale force to storm force winds .... !

SIGMET for thunderstorms in the northwest this morning.
    EISN SIGMET 02 VALID 170800/171000 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR/UIR EMBD TS OBS WITHIN 40NM OF LINE N53 W015 TO N5415 W006 TOP FL280 MOV SE AT 10KT INTSF=

Valid 0800 - 1000 UTC. Shannon FIR/UIR.
    Embedded thunderstorms observed within 40 nautical miles of a line from N53 W15 to N54.15 W06, tops 28,000 feet, moving southeastwards at 10 knots and intensifying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Su Campu wrote: »
    SIGMET for thunderstorms in the northwest this morning.

Valid 0800 - 1000 UTC. Shannon FIR/UIR.
    Embedded thunderstorms observed within 40 nautical miles of a line from N53 W15 to N54.15 W06, tops 28,000 feet, moving southwestards at 10 knots and intensifying.

You mean moving southeast, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

FINNER CAMP(A) SW 05 LIGHT SLEET 8 90 1.3 1005

Confab wrote: »
    You mean moving southeast, right?
    Of course, thanks!

Danno wrote: »
    FINNER CAMP(A) SW 05 LIGHT SLEET 8 90 1.3 1005

That's incorrect. It's been reading sleet and snow all morning, but it's due to the low visibility. Temp and dewpoint +8/+7 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Any chance of thunder around Dublin and wicklow? We never get enough lightning imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Very much of a "calm before storm" situation at 1130 (1030z) with frontal boundary becoming well defined through daytime heating of milder air across south and east. Expect this to develop rapidly next 2-3 hours with possible squall line racing southeast. Timing for Dublin likely to be 1430-1530h. Winds across far north may take some time to increase but effects should be more dramatic across central counties as the unstable profile breaks down and allows much faster mixing down to surface. Winds in the far north will probably just increase more gradually but will then peak after midnight with the stronger surface gradient developing then.

Will be interesting to watch this develop on radar from about Mullingar to Thurles and down towards Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

how long will it take for this front to pass through?

Very much of a "calm before storm" situation at 1130 (1030z) with frontal boundary becoming well defined through daytime heating of milder air across south and east. Expect this to develop rapidly next 2-3 hours with possible squall line racing southeast. Timing for Dublin likely to be 1430-1530h. Winds across far north may take some time to increase but effects should be more dramatic across central counties as the unstable profile breaks down and allows much faster mixing down to surface. Winds in the far north will probably just increase more gradually but will then peak after midnight with the stronger surface gradient developing then.

Will be interesting to watch this develop on radar from about Mullingar to Thurles and down towards Cork.

Just the mere look of this very detail forecast is exciting to read!! ha :)

If that was me id be like.. " Should get bad for dublin at about 2-3pm... risk of some heavy showers" ... but ye MT always puts it out in a more interesting way! Ha...

* THUMBS UP * ... :)

* EDIT*... HELLO WIND!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

True that, I always imagine if his posts could talk they would have that voice
    from the movie trailers that sounds so epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Been watching that wall of red echoes sitting to my west since this morning....seems to be making very slow progress...interesting line of heavier embedded showers sparked from Enniskillen to Belfast in the last hour, looks like some might have thundery potential but they've broken down or moved out over N Irish sea.

Just blustery winds here in Dundalk for now...11.4C, but feeling colder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Mean windspeed of 22mph at moment here in NE Galway with a combination of almost calm to sudden loud gusts which seem to have a darker quality than the ones that occurred with remnants of Katia last month.

Light rain with pressure falling at an alarming rate - currently 1001.2 mb. WSW backing a little to SW. 11.2c/97% RH.

Edit: nothing exceptional on the latest 12pm reports although Mace Head on the west coast reporting sustained gale force 9 winds of 42 knots, gusting 54.

Belmullet on 5c and Finner on just 6.0c!!!! with 4.2mm of rain in the last hour.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I look forward to the racing bit ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I just had an extremely violent gust out of nothing a few mins ago but now gone relatively calm and quiet again :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Darwin

Starting to get very dark and blustery here, but no rain yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

the gusts are after going really crazy there! i think my bird feeder is not going to last lol
    it's been quite windy all morning here in no.co.dub .. where's this calm before the storm? :p

I just had an extremely violent gust out of nothing a few mins ago but now gone relatively calm and quiet again :confused:
    the gusts are after going really crazy there! i think my bird feeder is not going to last lol
    it's been quite windy all morning here in no.co.dub .. where's this calm before the storm? :p

Agree ! , that really loud gust about 10 mins ago made a bang on the windows! .... ANother one just there too! , wish i could drive , id say some great scenes out at howth and that right now.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just had a gust here of 68km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭davidsr20

It's been very windy the last 2 hours in ballinasloe co Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

davidsr20 wrote: »
    It's been very windy the last 2 hours in ballinasloe co Galway.

picked up during the last hour in East Clare too - very squally with some violent gusts

Advertisement