Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor for conveyancing in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joecreed

Yes, some contact details would be very handy in case the other guys do not work out. Personally I only hope that everything will be taken care of as I've paid my money, and now am smashed - no more money to throw at solicitors to basically post some letters - I've paid my bit, got my receipt - I should not be expected to fork out yet again for something I took to be complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 accordsir-t

Ye i heard last week from gibson and associates regarding my file... and i am still waiting on a price from them

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ardcrann

I feel the same way. I paid my money and now I am going to have to pay again and try and recoup the losses from the other solicitors insurance, but that will cost even more money.

Apparently it can be claimed from the Compensation fund from the Law Society, and interest also can be claimed, but I hear it can take som time to get out of them too. They'd be quick to send a bill if you owed them!!

Its an absolute disgrace the way we are been treated... the law society dont want to know i have been onto them a few times and there answer is ah u will just pay again and claim bak.. wish it was that easy myself and partner are smashed and cant afford to pay anything. The gibson and associates are dragging there heels when it comes to getting a price off them. They were on to me over two weeks ago and its my land registry that hasnt been filed so i will have to pay again for that

• Advertisement

Too right. I don't know what I've yet to do - I havent heard from anyone as to whats remaining, or hasn't been paid. I'll end up having to borrow to pay these lot off, and then wait ages to get a claim from the Law Society too!

What amazes me is that the Law Society knew there was a problem with our solicitor back in 2012, and they still allowed him to continue to practice. They are supposed to regulate solicitors and protect the public.
    I think that its the land registry part that has to be filed. So that probably includes the stamp duty.
    I am going to look around before committing to the new Law firm. I think the Law society should have got a deal for us if we were to use the firm they suggested, as I read somewhere there are about 33 unregistered files that have to be sorted.

So i just recieved an email there from gibson and associates there are charging me for professional fees 600 + vat and then i have to pay outlay again which is 675 euro. this is a money spins for them i am not happy with the quote i dont know were i am going to get the money

I will contact them for a quote and let you know what they quote me. I think it will also cost us more money if we use them to go after the law society insurance. Maybe we should get a few quotes just to compare.

We have no option but to go with the new solicitor as they are charging a cancellation fee...i couldnt believe it

• Advertisement

I don't remember signing any document authorizing my file to be given to another solicitor, nor did I receive any correspondence from either the Law society or our former solicitor about what was happened. The first I heard about it was in the form of an email from a law firm I had never heard of, saying they had my file and then from reading the Irish Times. So I think that it is our choice who we bring our file to. We have no contract with the new firm, so what is the cancellation fee for. I am going to call the Law Society tomorrow and ask what the situation is.

I rang the law society regarding this and got no were keep us posted please

The Law Society are not above the law. They are a body set up to regulate the lawyers and protect the public. They have guidelines they must follow. I will call them tomorrow and let you know how I get on. I did call them once before regarding our solicitor and they were not interested in speaking to me unless I wrote to them. I will write to them if I get no satisfaction when I call them tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rmckeown

can you pm me the solicitors details

So gibson associates just got in touch with me ragarding my file and to file my land registry they have quoted me 1700 euros... like are these for real

I have inquired around and that is the same price I have been quoted, by 3 other solicitors, that is assuming the stamp duty has already been paid. One quote was 1500 euro but I am not sure if that included the land registration fee. I did get the name of a woman in Palmerstown who was recommended to me by an estate agent but I haven't contracted her as yet. I emailed Gibson and associates asking for a quote to complete the file but I have not heard back yet. Its hard to get an exact quote from someone who doesn't know whats left to be completed.

Yep all my stamp duty has been paid it was basiclly just the filing of land registry but i already paid all this in 2012 to mr sweeney.. and since then the price for land registry has doubled making it worse..when i was first contacted i was speaking to a lady in gibson and associates and she stated ah its nothing to worry about at least the main part is done and that it will only cost a few hundred... well i nearly died when i opened there email surely the law society has to step in to protect us

How long was anyone waiting to hear from Gibson's. I emailed them last week and am still waiting to hear back.

Yes it was 2 weeks or so. Were you contacted first telling you that your work hasnt been completed if so then yes ur the same two weeks i would say. This really has my head wrecked why should we be penalized for this..

My guess is that Gibsons are expecting us to go after the Law Society/ old solicitors mal practice insurance and they probably want to charge us for that also. They did mention in the email they sent to me that they would be able to help me recover the money, at a cost to me. If they only charge us 600 to complete the file then they probably realize we wont bother to sue, as it would cost more to sue then we are losing and therefore they will lose out on that work.

• Advertisement

But its costing 1700 to complete my file not 600. Were you quoted 600

I am waiting for my quote from Gibsons. I didn't email them right away when I got their email as I wanted to think about what I was going to do. I hope my stamp duty is paid and I guess I will find out when they quote me. I will then be in a better position to ask other lawyers for quotes as then I will know whats left to be done.
    Why did they change the quote of 600 euro+ vat they originally quoted you?

I have no quote as yet. I thought your original quote was 600+vat and 695 for the land registry fee.
    I got quotes from other solicitors for 1500+ and 750 +++ with no ceiling on the max, so that could be any amount.
    Once I know if my stamp duty has been paid I will ask for a quote from the solicitor in Palmerstown as she has been recommended by a friend who I trust.

They added all postage and calls of 165 euro then the land registry alone is 835 and tax on there professional fee of 725 it all added up to 1700

Ardcrann wrote: »
    I have no quote as yet. I thought your original quote was 600+vat and 695 for the land registry fee.
    I got quotes from other solicitors for 1500+ and 750 +++ with no ceiling on the max, so that could be any amount.
    Once I know if my stamp duty has been paid I will ask for a quote from the solicitor in Palmerstown as she has been recommended by a friend who I trust.

Gibson and associates are charging a cancellation fee if we choose to use a different solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Just read this thread as I was involved in page 1, thank god it wasn't the guy i used and pm'ed others his details.

Wow, that's quite a lot extra. As I say the only outside quote I could get without being able to say what needed to be done was upwards of 1500. And that is the quote one lawyer gave for full conveyancing. He knew the job was almost completed but I guess that was the quote. The other quote started at 750 but that was again without seeing the file and the land transfer fee would also have to be added to that. I am not sure what to do either. It seems like we are not going to find a solicitor to finish the file for us cheaper then Gibsons, they all seem to charge the same price. I guess we will just have to sue for the difference. But I will get a quote from the recommended solicitor once I know what need to be done. I hope I am like you and that the stamp duty has been paid on mine, or thats going to cost a lot more.

I don't plan to pay Gibson s any cancellation fee. I never hired them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Oops hopefully nobody followed my advice on page 1. :o

I got the same email a few weeks ago. The new solicitor is completely unresponsive....which is kind of ironic.

I think I'll just get my own new solicitor to deal with Gibsons.

The house is on the property price register which I hope means that at least the stamp duty was paid.

• Advertisement

I have just contacted a new solicitor to deal with Gibson s as I don't want any more games, I just want my property registered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement