Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor for conveyancing in Dublin?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Ardcrann wrote: »
    I have just contacted a new solicitor to deal with Gibson s as I don't want any more games, I just want my property registered.

how much did they want for a "cancellation fee" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ardcrann

I never heard back from Gibson's. I never hired them in the first place, I have no idea how they got my file. The first I heard was in an email telling me about our former solicitor and telling me they could help me complete my file. I asked for a quote and never heard back since.
    This reminds me of what I went through with the old solicitor, calls, emails all unanswered so I have decided to contact another lawyer to deal with it and hopefully she can get the file from them. If I have any trouble I will be on to the Law Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Vision01

Same here Gibsons sent a standard email to all of Robert Sweeney's clients re sorting out. That was two months ago. Heard nothing, asked them if I could have my file. Heard nothing. Finally got them yesterday and told that want €500 plus VAT up front to complete my registration. Said I should contact Law Society re reclaiming money against Sweeney's insurance all the Law Society fund. I dont have 500 plus euro that I have already paid and is held by the Law Society anyway. So frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Loulawler

Hi I'm in the same boat as some of you, outstanding work to be finished from Robert Sweeney Solicitor I'm just wondering if any of you have received your file I'm trying to track mine down but apparently neither Robert Sweeney or Gibson & Associates have it. Thanks

I was advised the week before last by the solicitors holding the files that I could have mine if I wanted it. Responded that yes I would like it back and will find my own solicitor and have heard nothing since.

I also do not know is holding the balance of monies they had from Sweeney's account. Think it is time for another complaint regarding the handling of these cases by the latest solicitor the delays are simply unacceptable.

• Advertisement

Vision01 wrote: »
    I was advised the week before last by the solicitors holding the files that I could have mine if I wanted it. Responded that yes I would like it back and will find my own solicitor and have heard nothing since.

I also do not know is holding the balance of monies they had from Sweeney's account. Think it is time for another complaint regarding the handling of these cases by the latest solicitor the delays are simply unacceptable.

I wouldn't hold ur breath Vision01 I had to travel to Donegal from Dublin called to Robert Sweeneys home address and then to Gibson & Associates to collect my file because they told me at the start they had my file and then when I requested it back they said they didn't have it , I now have possession of same finally

Why do you have to go to Donegal I thought the new crowd were based in Dublin? Surely the Law Society should take some responsibility for this mess, he was under investigation before I engaged him and had I known any of what they knew would not have gone near him.

What happened to any money, if any that was held?

Vision01 wrote: »
    Why do you have to go to Donegal I thought the new crowd were based in Dublin? Surely the Law Society should take some responsibility for this mess, he was under investigation before I engaged him and had I known any of what they knew would not have gone near him.

What happened to any money, if any that was held?

Yes there main office is in Donegal they also work out of Dublin the same as Robert Sweeney did, same here I've been onto Law Society and waiting on a call back since last Wednesday it's unbelievable I'm formally going to lodge a complaint regarding Gibson and associates as I'm hoping everyone else will as it has taken nearly 3 months to retrieve my file, apparently the excuse from Gibson and Associates was they didn't know the file belonged to me as both my marriage and maiden name was on the file and they got confused even though both my mobile and home address was on the file, how are u getting on getting ur paper work??

Loulawler wrote: »
    Yes there main office is in Donegal they also work out of Dublin the same as Robert Sweeney did, same here I've been onto Law Society and waiting on a call back since last Wednesday it's unbelievable I'm formally going to lodge a complaint regarding Gibson and associates as I'm hoping everyone else will as it has taken nearly 3 months to retrieve my file, apparently the excuse from Gibson and Associates was they didn't know the file belonged to me as both my marriage and maiden name was on the file and they got confused even though both my mobile and home address was on the file, how are u getting on getting ur paper work??

Sorry Vision01 money gone have to claim off compensation fund, Robert Sweeney advised us on Wednesday he had paid all the money over and that it was "pending" but according to Revenue and Land Registry they never received a penny, did Gibson and Associates say if they were charging u for uplift of your file???

Nothing back from Gibsons at all, nothing mentioned about having to pay to get my file maybe we should all go on Joe Duffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 joecreed

I'm currently chasing Gibsons on a bi-daily basis for a call-back - I agreed to pay the €650 or so to get the file sorted as my bank was on my case to get sorted. Trying to get an answer out of them is unreal. Seems the person who was dealing with my file went on sickleave, and now is left the firm altogether (what does she know what we dont???!!!). Still waiting to hear, since March(!!!), as to what exactly is outstanding on my file.... Am thinking that a "Class Action" to Joe Duffy would be good! (They were quoting something like €1500 to join their own class-action to claim from Robert Sweeney's insurance too!! Never heard of "No Win - No Fee"????? Bloody Irish legal system!

joecreed wrote: »
    I'm currently chasing Gibsons on a bi-daily basis for a call-back - I agreed to pay the €650 or so to get the file sorted as my bank was on my case to get sorted. Trying to get an answer out of them is unreal. Seems the person who was dealing with my file went on sickleave, and now is left the firm altogether (what does she know what we dont???!!!). Still waiting to hear, since March(!!!), as to what exactly is outstanding on my file.... Am thinking that a "Class Action" to Joe Duffy would be good! (They were quoting something like €1500 to join their own class-action to claim from Robert Sweeney's insurance too!! Never heard of "No Win - No Fee"????? Bloody Irish legal system!

Do you no the name of the original person that was looking after your file as I was given the impression the same person was looking after all Robert Sweeney files, I thought the same regarding Joe Duffy if ur going ahead let me know and ill back u up, to be perfectly honest I would be asking another solicitor to take it over and get it sorted ASAP, I was lucky in the sense I bought my house straight out with no banks, €1500 that's steep I'm waiting on Law Society to come back to me with the name of Robert Sweeneys insurance company I will let you know if I get same

Well after my latest phone call (which incidentally I made to the solicitors....again!)(I've yet to actually receive a proactive call from this lot, but they still put "phone calls" as a billing item....(!), my outstanding issues have been resolved apparently, and a letter is on its way to me outlining whats done & final steps. I won't hold my breath as I was told this on a previous occasion also. Seems the stamp-duty was also paid, so "Mr X" didn't make off with that lot, thankfully. I am to also recieve a form which is to kick off the claim from the Law Society for my monies owed. Seems the many calls has resolved everything but I'll update once I have the letter in my hands and hopefully it will be all good news.

joecreed wrote: »
    Well after my latest phone call (which incidentally I made to the solicitors....again!)(I've yet to actually receive a proactive call from this lot, but they still put "phone calls" as a billing item....(!), my outstanding issues have been resolved apparently, and a letter is on its way to me outlining whats done & final steps. I won't hold my breath as I was told this on a previous occasion also. Seems the stamp-duty was also paid, so "Mr X" didn't make off with that lot, thankfully. I am to also recieve a form which is to kick off the claim from the Law Society for my monies owed. Seems the many calls has resolved everything but I'll update once I have the letter in my hands and hopefully it will be all good news.

Can I ask when you purchased your property closing date?? Please

PM'd to LouLawler

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭sidcon

I was also a customer of Mr Sweeney. Ive been contacted by the other solicitors who informed me the house I purchased was not transfered into my name as is still held by the previous owner. Having checked this on mypropertytitle.ie which confirmed that my name is not on the title.
    My question now is do I go with this other crowd of solicitors or do I find my own.
    Having looked at the Law soceity compensation claim form its say I can apply for a grant to complete the deeds, do any of you know if we can make this claim. Im really struggling for funds (due to get married next month)

Hi Sidcon. I was in the same boat as yourself in a way. I was informed that my Title Deeds weren't provided to the bank, and various other outstanding issues. I rang Revenue Stamp Duty office directly on advice from another "victim" on this thread (thanks a mill, btw!!), but fortunately they were able to confirm that my stamp duty was paid (you can contact them on 1890-482582). I understand that the Property registration has also been completed - you can check this on: propertypriceregister.ie
    You can try going with the solicitors we have been advised to (Gibson & Assoc) but they require payment upfront - I also understand that the Law Society take ages to process these claims, so if you can get the bank to delay a while (as long as you're paying your mortgage, I'm sure they won't mind), you can probably send in the claim first, go & get married, and then revisit your issues once the honeymoon is over!
    Best of luck with it but my advise is to find a supportive & understanding solicitor (if there is such a thing) to help you & get this sorted & that will only look for funds once complete. If you need any lay-person advise, please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 clareoconnor

I just got word today that Robert Sweeney did not pay stamp duty on the property I purchased in July 2012 can anyone tell me was he legally allowed to practice

I just got word today that Robert Sweeney did not pay stamp duty on the property I purchased in July 2012 can anyone tell me was he legally allowed to practice

Hi at that time I think he was, he purchased my house in November 12 and my stamp duty and registration fees are gone, I think he stop practicing at the end of January 13 if you google his name u can read the article

I am so angry I have to pay stamp duty again along with all the other fees I have contacted a local solicitor and requested my file from Gibson solicitors to be be sent. I will let you know how I get on

• Advertisement

I am so angry I have to pay stamp duty again along with all the other fees I have contacted a local solicitor and requested my file from Gibson solicitors to be be sent. I will let you know how I get on

I feel exactly the same yes please keep in touch and let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ardcrann

I found a new solicitor who wrote to the Law society asking them to get my file and send it to her, apparently the Law society were able to get the file right away from Gibsons and send it to her. I had emailed Gibsons months ago and they ignored my email. I guess my new solicitor new how to go about it.

Thanks for that information I have just got a new solicitor and I will ask him to get in touch with the law society as I still have not got my file from Gibsons

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement