Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor for conveyancing in Dublin?

Options
  • 26-09-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like we will be needing a solicitor shortly to do the conveyancing.
    With TRS ending for those who dont complete the sale by the end of the year, we are anxious to get one that is efficient and of course not expensive.
    The price of the house we are looking at is around 250K, would it be possible to get one for under 2K to do this all in ?

If any one has recommendations that would be great :)
    I really rather not discuss here the pros and cons of wheter to purchase now or not, its right for us at this time and stage of our lives.

Thanks!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Supercell wrote: »
    Looks like we will be needing a solicitor shortly to do the conveyancing.
    With TRS ending for those who dont complete the sale by the end of the year, we are anxious to get one that is efficient and of course not expensive.
    The price of the house we are looking at is around 250K, would it be possible to get one for under 2K to do this all in ?

If any one has recommendations that would be great :)
    I really rather not discuss here the pros and cons of wheter to purchase now or not, its right for us at this time and stage of our lives.

Thanks!

Can be done for a lot less than 2k. Google Robert Sweeney solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Great, thanks!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Recently completed and got it done for approx 1,400 I can't remember exact figure.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Recently completed and got it done for approx 1,400 I can't remember exact figure.
    Thanks Joey, which solicitor did you use?, you can PM me if you dont want to put it on the public post. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Sent you a PM. He was grand does exactly as it says on the tin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 goldfish

Can you PM me with details also. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 23 smile27

JoeyJJ, could you PM details of your solicitor too? Thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kellzy

JoeyJJ, would you mind PM details of your solicitor too? Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MichelleMc

Hi there,

JoeyJJ could you let me know also as looking for a solicter urgently,

thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

Bigcheeze wrote: »

I would advise against using him. Poor communications, unrealistic and false closing dates given. I used him and still have not yet received my title deeds after repeated calls and messages being left for him. He's cheap and I now know why he's cheap. In all honesty, you'd be better off doing it yourself for a fraction of the cost. It's not rocket science and I wish I had done mine myself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I would advise against using him. Poor communications, unrealistic and false closing dates given. I used him and still have not yet received my title deeds after repeated calls and messages being left for him. He's cheap and I now know why he's cheap. In all honesty, you'd be better off doing it yourself for a fraction of the cost. It's not rocket science and I wish I had done mine myself...

unless you bought without a mortgage you wouldnt be entitled to the title deeds.

As for doing yourself. Its impossible as unless your a solicitor as you wont have access to the land registry to do a conveyance ....

We used him too and couldnt have had a more different experience. He was extremely helpful and professional.
    You do realise that the closing date has to be agreed by both solicitors and that your closing date issues probably are due to your sellers messing around?
    Secondly, you dont receive the title deeds, they are held by the solicitors until closing and then sent to the bank.

I would recommend Robert Sweeny Solicitors to anyone.
    I would recommend that if you are a FTB that you familiarise yourself with the buying process so you understand what your solicitor can and cannot do and have the correct expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

We used him too and couldnt have had a more different experience. He was extremely helpful and professional.
    You do realise that the closing date has to be agreed by both solicitors and that your closing date issues probably are due to your sellers messing around?
    Secondly, you dont receive the title deeds, they are held by the solicitors until closing and then sent to the bank.

I would recommend Robert Sweeny Solicitors to anyone.
    I would recommend that if you are a FTB that you familiarise yourself with the buying process so you understand what your solicitor can and cannot do and have the correct expectations.

That was my experience also. I found him (and his support staff) to be very efficient and would always either take my calls or return them promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

D3PO wrote: »
    unless you bought without a mortgage you wouldnt be entitled to the title deeds.

Which is exactly what I did. I'm legally entitled to hold my title deeds and I was told it would take eight weeks before I receive them. Those eight weeks have long since passed.
    D3PO wrote: »
    As for doing yourself. Its impossible as unless your a solicitor as you wont have access to the land registry to do a conveyance ....

No, that's utter nonsense. It's not impossible! It's perfectly reasonable for someone to do the searches themselves and to do the bulk of the work without the need for a solicitor, except for a solicitors signature. I previously worked as a Law Clerk and I knew of a number of people who did the conveyancing themselves.

If my solicitor tells me that I will receive my title deeds in eight weeks then my expectation is that I will receive my title deeds in eight weeks. When eight weeks pass and I hear nothing about the progress of MY title deeds and when phone calls, emails and messages left for Robert Sweeney are not returned at all I consider that to be exceptionally rude, discourteous (considering I have already paid my fees in full) and unprofessional.
    This is my experience. I bitterly regret using him for the relatively simple task of conveyancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Elsibel

Hi JoeyJJ, I'm sure you must be tired of people looking for the name of that solicitor you used for your conveyance, but I would be very grateful if you might give me his name also. Many thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Sorry JoeyJJ, one more request please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TJC84

Hello JoeyJJ, sorry to trouble you on the same topic. I would also be very grateful if you would give me the solicitors name. Thanking you in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭midship

Having went with Robert Sweeney solicitors I would just like to agree with the poster who said they communication is terrible and the service is rubbish, I have to say avoid at all costs, a few hundred extra going elsewhere would have been money well spent, he is impossible to get a hold of and delayed closing for weeks due to unavailability. Avoid avoid avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

TJC84 wrote: »
    Hello JoeyJJ, sorry to trouble you on the same topic. I would also be very grateful if you would give me the solicitors name. Thanking you in advance
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joecreed

Not sure if anyone still reading this thread but this link will put to an end any doubts. In fairness, I used the guy, he was friendly, efficient, fought my corner for me, and his staff were good at their jobs. But when I read this story, I was taken aback. I've to employee another solicitor to ensure that my conveyancing is completed as required:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/solicitor-agrees-to-no-longer-practise-1.1674346

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 oiskpoisk

Sent you a PM. He was grand does exactly as it says on the tin.

Joey can you pm that solicitor to me too please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rev1ie

Sorry JoeyJJ, can you PM the details to me also please?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

joecreed wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone still reading this thread but this link will put to an end any doubts. In fairness, I used the guy, he was friendly, efficient, fought my corner for me, and his staff were good at their jobs. But when I read this story, I was taken aback. I've to employee another solicitor to ensure that my conveyancing is completed as required:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/solicitor-agrees-to-no-longer-practise-1.1674346

Jaysis that's pretty damning, over 200 complaints against him. People who used him for conveyancing should seriously get it double checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Vision01

Me too, efficient up to the last few weeks before completion from about September 2012 and then things went awry. Deeds not registered, stamp duty not paid and now have to employee someone to finish the job though I may be able to recoup costs from Robert Sweeney or the Law Society - so tired of chasing my tail at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 accordsir-t

Hi all sorry to throw up an old thread I am the exact same got an email last Monday stating my work wasn't complete.. Myself and partner used this solicitor in question and paid everything to him for all his services in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ardcrann

I am in the same position my property has not be registered. I am wondering if anyone else is going with the solicitors who sent the email saying they could complete the file or is there anyone else you could recommend.
    I would appreciate any advise as I don't know what to do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joecreed

I have been on to the Law Society (the person I was talking to was Linda Dolan) - she gave me the name of the new solicitors who are now apparently dealing with the cases (http://gibsonandassociates.ie/) - I've been on to them & now awaiting a callback to find out what the situation is and when I can let the bank know that these guys are going to complete the processes. Is this the same crowd that you have been advised about?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

We bought our house last September and our solicitor was brilliant. Tionette Ryan. She was very accommodating, very friendly and timely. Her advice was always realistic and she really knew her stuff.

Yes that is the firm that emailed me. I am not sure I want to use them and from what I understand we don't have to. I would be interested in hearing from you as to what you think of them when they call you back and if you are going to use them. I see they have offices in Dublin and Donegal just like the last solicitor. I was thinking of maybe going with a bigger Dublin firm. I don't want any more problems

• Advertisement

Dortilolma wrote: »
    We bought our house last September and our solicitor was brilliant. Tionette Ryan. She was very accommodating, very friendly and timely. Her advice was always realistic and she really knew her stuff.

Where is she located? Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement