Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-07-2011, 23:07   #1
robindch

Dawkins sounds off. Lots of atheists upset.

During last month's atheist conference in the Alexander Hotel, it seems that some guy invited Rebecca Watson for a coffee back in his room. At four in the morning. While the two of them were alone together in the lift going up. Watson declined, nothing further happened and the two went their separate ways when the lift doors opened. Those are the facts as far as I'm aware of them.

PZ blogged about it, Dawkins sounded off in the comments section, Watson went nuclear. And now, it's gone viral, even earning a post on Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy.

Now, I've no idea what happened in the elevator and I suspect that at least one of the participants had a few drinks aboard. But while Dawkin's initial sarcastic response was dumb and unhelpful, the ensuing mad fracas seems to be completely out of all proportion to what actually happened.

Anybody else been following this?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-07-2011, 23:34   #2
Turtwig
Censoring your opinion since you posted

I was aware it was ongoing but after reading one post I decided I had better things to read. But hey if it helps spread better awareness and understanding of feminism I'm all for it.
06-07-2011, 23:35   #3
antiskeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robindch View Post
During last month's atheist conference in the Alexander Hotel, it seems that some guy invited Rebecca Watson for a coffee back in his room. At four in the morning. While the two of them were alone together in the lift going up. Watson declined, nothing further happened and the two went their separate ways when the lift doors opened. Those are the facts as far as I'm aware of them.

PZ blogged about it, Dawkins sounded off in the comments section, Watson went nuclear. And now, it's gone viral, even earning a post on Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy.

Now, I've no idea what happened in the elevator and I suspect that at least one of the participants had a few drinks aboard. But while Dawkin's initial sarcastic response was dumb and unhelpful, the ensuing mad fracas seems to be completely out of all proportion to what actually happened.

You can begin to appreciate how easy it is to produce 104,000 Christian denominations..
06-07-2011, 23:36   #4
Turtwig
Censoring your opinion since you posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiskeptic View Post
You can begin to appreciate how easy it is to produce 104,000 Christian denominations..
Eh, no just no. This isn't the thread to try and shoehorn in a defence of your mythology.
06-07-2011, 23:38   #5
King Mob

Quote:
Originally Posted by robindch View Post

Well I don't think it was so much his initial comment, but the ones after it.
Especially the one that refers to the incident as "just words" which seems a little hypocritical given Dawkins' other stances.

He should have thought a little more before replying to the issue.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-07-2011, 23:44   #6
liamw

He must have been seriously drunk and desperate
Thanks from:
06-07-2011, 23:59   #7
Galvasean

Send a message via MSN to Galvasean
This comment?

"Dear Muslima

Stop whining, will you. Yes, yes, I know you had your genitals mutilated with a razor blade, and . . . yawn . . . don't tell me yet again, I know you aren't allowed to drive a car, and you can't leave the house without a male relative, and your husband is allowed to beat you, and you'll be stoned to death if you commit adultery. But stop whining, will you. Think of the suffering your poor American sisters have to put up with.

Only this week I heard of one, she calls herself Skep"chick", and do you know what happened to her? A man in a hotel elevator invited her back to his room for coffee. I am not exaggerating. He really did. He invited her back to his room for coffee. Of course she said no, and of course he didn't lay a finger on her, but even so . . .

And you, Muslima, think you have misogyny to complain about! For goodness sake grow up, or at least grow a thicker skin.

Richard"

I found it amusing....

>_>
07-07-2011, 00:11   #8
sink

Send a message via MSN to sink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvasean View Post
I found it amusing....

>_>
Amusing or not, it's a very poor argument, essentially it boils down to 'worse stuff happens, so you have no right to complain'. It's not even an argument it's simply dismissive.

Either the man who propositioned her in the elevator was wrong to do so, or he was not. Anything else is a red herring.
07-07-2011, 00:30   #9
strobe

I think that claiming that someone asking you back to their place for coffee is sexism is stupid. <-- PZ Meyers with the sexism claim there. Watson just said it made her feel uncomfortable, which is fair enough, you feel how you feel.

Dawkins response was completely over the top and hyperbolic, and as we know Richard Dawkins is never hyperbolic.

I think your one's response to Dawkins response was worse again.

Big storm in a little teacup. They should all try acting like adults for a second.

Last edited by strobe; 07-07-2011 at 00:33.
Advertisement
07-07-2011, 00:35   #10
sionnach

Send a message via MSN to sionnach
Quote:
Originally Posted by sink View Post
Amusing or not, it's a very poor argument, essentially it boils down to 'worse stuff happens, so you have no right to complain'. It's not even an argument it's simply dismissive.
I don't quite agree. That implies that Dawkins thinks the act was misogynistic and bad but that other things are worse.
In my view he's saying that what happened wasn't at all bad or misogynistic and he describes actual misogyny for comparison.
07-07-2011, 00:36   #12
Galvasean

Send a message via MSN to Galvasean
Quote:
Originally Posted by sionnach View Post
I don't quite agree. That implies that Dawkins thinks the act was misogynistic and bad but that other things are worse.
In my view he's saying that what happened wasn't at all bad or misogynistic and he describes actual misogyny for comparison.
That was also my interpretation of it.
07-07-2011, 00:38   #13
sionnach

Send a message via MSN to sionnach
Quote:
So wait, it's sexism to proposition someone now?

Feck.
Don't forget that all middle-aged men are paedophiles too
07-07-2011, 00:44   #14
sink

Send a message via MSN to sink
Quote:
So wait, it's sexism to proposition someone now?

Feck.
No, just given the circumstance, highly inappropriate. If the man wasn't a complete stranger it maybe ok, but she had never spoken to him before and he made his not so veiled attempt when the two of them were alone in a confined space. He could have asked her earlier in the bar or simply started polite conversation/mild flirting and seen if she was receptive before asking did she want to get down and dirty.
07-07-2011, 00:48   #15
whatdoicare

Wow, so, he asked yer one back for a coffee and she said no, he said okilydokily neighbourino and that's the end of the story??
Did I miss something?
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion