Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-12-2010, 22:32   #1
johngalway
Closed Account

Foot Warmer

My extremities have been suffering with the cold. Solved the hand problem with the S-Boston handwarmers, also warm the core if pocketed right

Moving onto feet I got a few of these (foot warmer item number 220702393539). I used them first tonight in a lot of snow and bitter cold out. They did put out some heat in fairness, but will need to give them another go.

On the other hand, am quite happy with the liner socks and heat holder socks I got Looking to get new insoles, then install the foil heat reflectors in them.
Advertisement
19-12-2010, 23:28   #2
4gun
Closed Account

[IMG][/IMG]

how 'bout a pair of these to keep yourtootsies warm
20-12-2010, 00:15   #3
shuvly

I have to admit am in wrong place,..but when I see foot warmer..I get a bit excited...I will now leave and go bak to my beloved ah..note to self...never succomb to foot warming thingys....
20-12-2010, 00:26   #4
we'llallhavetea_old
Closed Account

sorry lads, she must have chewed through the chains again, won't happen again.
20-12-2010, 00:30   #5
clivej

John my number two son got me a pair of electric insoles for the boots last xmas. they run off two battery packs, one around each ankle. I never did get to try them out your more than welcome to give them a go if you want. I'll get a link up to them soon.
Something like these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Primrose-Lon...2805087&sr=8-1

Advertisement
20-12-2010, 00:38   #6
johngalway
Closed Account

Tried Maplins version of those before Clive. All I got was a hot smell Looking for Thinsulate 3m thermal insoles, but can't find them this side of the Atlantic so far!
20-12-2010, 11:04   #7
clivej

Well John i'm using the hikers socks from Aldi. They are fitted for both left and right feet have a thick sole and long body that comes up to the top the calf. about €7 a pair (or maybe 2 pair ??
I must say I never got cold feet with them and I always suffered with cold feet. Was stalking in -9 C a couple of weeks ago sitting waiting for them to come across the track for 3/4 hour and never got cold. Give them a try.
20-12-2010, 12:30   #8
Cass

Send a message via MSN to Cass
I have always had trouble with cold feet. Poor circulation. Have the same thing inmy hands. Problem is if the feet are cold the rest of you gets cold quicker (at least in my case).

I tried everything from socks, insoles, boots, etc, but only recently "cracked" it.

My local Londis was selling thermal socks. I thought, yeah right, but i'll try a pair. Bought them and when worn in conjunction with my new boots, have to say never had the comfort, warmth and protection.

The socks are a non-named brand, but doing the job. I have to give credit to the new boots. Very light, comfortable with multi layered sole and insoles.
20-12-2010, 13:42   #9
Sparks
Category Moderator

To be honest, I've never had to go beyond the thin pair of socks & thick pair of socks combination (when I'm walking in the cold, I'm just walking, I don't stay still for any long periods of time), but I keep hearing magnificent things about sealskinz socks and if they're half as good as the gloves, they're definitely worth trying John.
Advertisement
20-12-2010, 13:45   #10
Tackleberrywho
Banned

Fellas may laugh, but put a plastic bag into your boot and you increase insulation massively in cold conditions. An old army survival trick

I've used Tesco-ziplokt bags and you would be surprised how a simple thing can make such a difference
20-12-2010, 14:56   #11
patsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberrywho View Post
Fellas may laugh, but put a plastic bag into your boot and you increase insulation massively in cold conditions. An old army survival trick

I've used Tesco-ziplokt bags and you would be surprised how a simple thing can make such a difference
It only feels warmer cause ur keepin out the water....just by boots that ain't leakin and stop tryin to take the cheap way out!

And in regards to the op, i still love my muck boots!
20-12-2010, 15:15   #12
Tackleberrywho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsat View Post
It only feels warmer cause ur keepin out the water....just by boots that ain't leakin and stop tryin to take the cheap way out!

Pat, Study insulation and you will understand it is because you are creating an extra layer of insulation or if you prefer DPC.

As young kids we used dunnes stores bags in wellies.
And FYI the wellies did not leak, it was to keep feet warm in frost.

If you get a sleeping bag liner and put it in a sleeping back you massively increase the warmth from a very small layer of silk.

We had homemade tinsulate before it was invented!
20-12-2010, 16:13   #13
juice1304

here giz a few of them john me feet are bleed'n freezing. i can't hack this cold anymore.
20-12-2010, 17:19   #14
johngalway
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsat View Post
I'd have another pair of MB's if they didn't crack & cut so easily. Owned and killed two, both leaked within 8 months to 1 year I think.
Thanks from:
20-12-2010, 17:21   #15
brianfrancis45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
To be honest, I've never had to go beyond the thin pair of socks & thick pair of socks combination (when I'm walking in the cold, I'm just walking, I don't stay still for any long periods of time), but I keep hearing magnificent things about sealskinz socks and if they're half as good as the gloves, they're definitely worth trying John.
+1 on the Sealskinz - a mighty job !

If boots are your thing then the Sealskinz mid/calf socks are fine and if you want that extra bit of insulation and padding for more comfort then also get the Sealskinz Merino Warm Liner sock ( only costs about £ 5 extra). If your preference is for wellies , then I would recommend the Sealskinz Long Light socks (they come up to the knee) and do cost a bit more (about £ 35) than the mid/calf length.

When I was using run of the mill unlined wellies I would wear the liner sock and the Long Light Sock over them. Warm and comfortable even in very cold conditions.

Having holed the old wellies recently, the wife ( god bless her cotton socks) treated me to an early christmas present of a pair of Aigle Parcours ISO Neoprene lined wellies. Great job altogether when combined with the Sealskinz socks. During the recent bad weather was feeding a good few drains and standing in freezing bog water up to the calf. Was there for a fair old time and still toastie tootsies !

Would recommend JG to give the Sealskinz a go. Bit of an investment I know but in my opinion worth it .....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion