Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Kilkenny 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Just signed up on-line. Looking forward to it!

Remember, it's not a time trial!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I dunno Toblerone, I kind of treated it like a TT last year ! May yet make it this year, I could certainly use the mileage to try to get back to anything approaching the condition I was in 12 months ago. Funeral in Kerry fairly late the night before so might be a bit of a stretch to make it. You should have a good few from my club there from what I hear anyway, yourself and havoc supported our league races and we will be returning the favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

Remember, it's not a time trial!!

Don't really have the mileage done for it. I'll be sittin' on all day!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cyclists in a spin over Tour de Kilkenny
    Published Date: 28 July 2010

WHILE most of the cycling world is engrossed in the Tour de France, the local equivalent is back for its second spin this weekend.

Following a successful maiden voyage, the Tour de Kilkenny returns to local roads this Saturday. Cyclists from all over the country have been invited to ride in the event, which has a charitable aim at its core - to raise as much money as possible for sick children.
    Organisers of the Tour are the Marble City Cyclers (MCC). The Kilkenny club have linked up with their main charity, the Barretstown children's camp, and will donate all funds raised from the tour to the centre, which is located in the foothills of the Wicklow Mountains.
    In preparation for the Tour, a number of cyclists from the Marble City Cyclers club cycled to Barretstown in Kildare, partly to get some miles in their legs and also to see the specially-designed facility that helps children with serious illnesses, primarily cancer and serious blood diseases.
    The camp provides a programme of adventure, activities and fun which helps children with serious illness regain their confidence and self-esteem and has become internationally recognised as having a positive impact on their lives.
    Barretstown has grown from serving 124 children in a marquee in 1994 to over 12,000 children and their families from 23 European countries. The site has grown to offer a first-class facility for seriously ill children with an excellent medical centre and a unique therapeutic programme backed by the medical community.
    All of the children and families have come to Barretstown free of charge. Everything - from accommodation and food to medical assistance and round-trip airfares - are provided. Barretstown has to raise over €4.5 million each year to fund its programmes; 96% of this money comes from companies and individual donations from Ireland and abroad.
    Scenery, terrain
    "The Tour de Kilkenny is primarily a fun event where cyclists from all over the country come to experience the fabulous scenery and terrain of Kilkenny," explained Patrick Tobin, chairman of the Marble City Cyclers. "However the event is also a very important fund-raising opportunity and all of the money raised goes to Barretstown.
    "We wanted to be able to see Barretstown for ourselves and get an insight into how the facility helps children with serious illness," he added. "Last year's Tour raised over €5,000 for Barretstown - this year we are hoping to beat that figure."
    Participants in the Tour de Kilkenny are offered a choice of three routes on the day - course distances are 40km and 100km, as well as a 160km route. Each of the courses has been designed to offer different levels of challenge. All routes will give participants a chance to enjoy the beautiful scenery of Co Kilkenny while having a good healthy workout.
    The 40km circuit goes out to Kells before turning east for Callan, then returning back through Sevenhouses and Danesfort. The route is relatively flat but has a few gentle hills and short climbs to offer a challenge to beginner or leisure cyclists. All routes start and finish at Kilkenny Rugby Club.
    Fitness, stamina
    The 100km route will test medium distance riders and is ideal for those with good bike fitness and stamina. There are a number of challenging climbs on this route, the most notable being Coppenagh and Woodstock. There are also plenty of tough drags thrown in so it deserves it reputation as one of Ireland's toughest 100km tracks.
    The 160km course will rebuke the theory that Kilkenny is a flat county. None of the climbs are excessive, but there are plenty - Woodstock, Kilmoganny and Kilmanagh are the most memorable. A high standard of bike fitness and stamina is required for this course, while a good climbing ability will help.
    The starting point for the Tour de Kilkenny's 100km and 160km events will be Foulkstown, the home of Kilkenny Rugby Club on the Waterford Road. The cycle starts at 9am on Saturday, with registration open until 8.30am. The 40km participants have a start time of 11am, with registration open until 10.30am.
    Further information on the tour, as well as registration details, is available from www.marblecitycyclers.com
    From this weeks Kilkenny people, here's the photo that went with the article. Don't let the look of the guys in the middle and on the right put ye off coming down :D
    TH1_287201024cycling.JPG

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 MarbleCityCycle

Online registration is now closed. Please note that sign-on is still required. The Kilkenny Rugby Club (on the Waterford Road, less than a mile outside Kilkenny city) is open for sign-on between 7pm and 9pm this (Friday) evening and between 7am and 8.30am tomorrow (Saturday)morning . Please bring your CI licence with you - please note that there will be an additional €5 charge for a one day licence for those without a CI licence.

For those wishing to the 40km route, there will also be registration opened from 9.30am to 10.40am tomorrow (Saturday) morning.

Those who have not registered online can still register at the above stated time.

I hope to see you there. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

MarbleCityCycle can you do something with the weather please? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

AstraMonti wrote: »
    MarbleCityCycle can you do something with the weather please? :)

I've asked met Éireann if they could move any rain to Sunday and they said they'll see what they can do but they were unsure about organising a heat-wave though.

Online registration is now closed. Please note that sign-on is still required. The Kilkenny Rugby Club (on the Waterford Road, less than a mile outside Kilkenny city) is open for sign-on between 7pm and 9pm this (Friday) evening and between 7am and 8.30am tomorrow (Saturday)morning . Please bring your CI licence with you - please note that there will be an additional €5 charge for a one day licence for those without a CI licence.

For those wishing to the 40km route, there will also be registration opened from 9.30am to 10.40am tomorrow (Saturday) morning.

Those who have not registered online can still register at the above stated time.

I hope to see you there. Thanks.

Just to add to what he said, I'd get there as early as possible as I think there's going to be a big turn out, sign on this evening if you're in Kilkenny.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've asked met Éireann if they could move any rain to Sunday and they said they'll see what they can do but they were unsure about organising a heat-wave though.
    So the Captian has promised glorious weather. If anything goes wrong, we now know who to blame ...

(actually the forecast for tomorrow looks half-decent - the chance of an odd shower but otherwise fine)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

As long as its not raining for the first half hour so i can warm up, after that i dont care.

Beasty i ll prob wear the swords gear i got on wednesday, if you see me say hi and i ll be sure to do the same.

I retardedly missed online sign up (got caught in meeting yesterday) so i ll be there bright and early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

For anyone staying in Kilkenny tomorrow night, a few of us are meeting in Ryan's bar on Friary Street if you want to join us for a few jars.

Chain snapped, currently waiting for broomwagon. Oh cock.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Chain snapped, currently waiting for broomwagon. Oh cock.

bad luck,
    :confused:

After over an hour my dad came with tools. Got chain fixed, snapped again after half way. In broomwagon with unionman :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

After over an hour my dad came with tools. Got chain fixed, snapped again after half way. In broomwagon with unionman :(

Not your day eh :(
    Thats annoying as hell, twice in one day...

Just in the door, 109km for me in 3:54 (27.8km/ph). pacing left a lot to be desired (1st hour done like a race) hence not doing the 160km. i like hills but my god that was punishing - non stop up and down. Giving it full gas up inishtoge didnt help either. passing lots was great fun at the time but not so great after. That 4km climb before the food stop into a headwind nearly broke me.

Spent most of the day with beasty and astra monti, thanks for the company lads, good to chat on way round. met captain havoc early on too and daragh after. Think me and beasty have bullied daragh into trying some racing.

Now for a shower and a nap, followed by some carbo loading (curry and beer)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just back from another great event organised by MCC.

I arrived with plenty of time to spare, to be greeted by Captain Havoc manning the online registration desk. He presented me with a specially commissioned number 666.

I also met Toblerone1978, buzzingnoise and kennyb3 before the start. Shortly after we set up, I spotted an old style boards jersey, and went up to introduce myself to Mr Monti, who was already chatting to the Captain. We proceeded at a brisk pace. I was chatting to kennyb3. I said I was probably doing the 100k, but he kept telling me I would do the 160! I also saw daragh, resplendent in his new jersey, and unionman

Just before the first water stop there was a long hill, when everything broke up. I managed to just about catch kennyb3 by the water stop. Myself, kennyb3 and Astramonti then pressed on until we hit Woodstock, where I almost ground to a halt as they went on up. There were a few more hills before we met up at the foodstop. By this time, kennyb3 had backed down and we were all committed to the 100k!

There were a few more hills towards the end and a couple of squally showers. We then made our way back to Kilkenny to hear about the Captain's chain problems, and that Unionman had had a blowout, and were therefore both in the broomwagon

Stats:
    Time - exactly 4 hours, for (depending on computer) about 108km - average 27kph, max 66kph
    Power - average 198w, pedalling 228w, normalised 243w, max 812w
    HR - average 151, max 173
    Work 2,843kj, so I'm off for some cake to replenish the energy reserves now:)

Thanks to Toblerone1978, Captain Havoc and the other helpers from MCC for putting this excellent event on again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Just home. Had a blast and was great to meet so many Heads from here.

The first half was very fast, for me anyway, and the Woodstock climb was as hard as I had been told, but still very enjoyable. Surprised to see so many people walking.

Apart from Beasty and Kennyb3 met Gasco, Vectorman and Astra.

Cheers and thanks to Unionman for the lift. Shame about the blowout. You'll just have to do Kildare next week so!

Captain, MCC did a brilliant job. Many thank again and bad luck with your chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

If you are using Ultegra chains, have a read of http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2010/02/shimano-ultegra-chain-failure.html

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Just arrived back after doing the "real " Tour de Kilkenny . Arrived back at the rugby club last year in record time (for me) after doing the 160K . Wondered reading the posts here after about this killer hill near the end???
    Well due to much better road markings than last year ( the ONLY small criticism I hasten to add) I found that turn for Kilmanagh , jaysus you Kilkenny lads are inhuman putting that climb at the end :). Who's suggestion was that ? Brian Cody's ( the torture merchant) ??
    Anyway congrats to you all , well run and excellent food , no surprises there, (excellent last year too) and one I will put into my calendar again for next year .Only thing I would have liked in the goody bag would be a couple of All Ireland tickets :D Sure yez won't need 'em , will ye ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Just home after the drive back up to Loughlinstown, Chapeux to the organisers, this was a very good and well run event, the food was unbeleivable, but I must say that little climb on the 160km route just after the foodstop, that was cruel. A most enjoyable day, will definitely do this again next year:D And to Mr. Earley and Co. from Naas who joined us on the way round, hope you are coming to do the Joe Loughman In Bray in Sept. P.S. I wont be leading you home on that one, I'll be still recovering from today

Had a major mechanical in Kilmanagh, which involved trying (unsuccessfully) to get a tube (two tubes acutaully, both burst) into a Dura Ace, 2 way fit wheel, and a Hutchinson Road Fusion tubless tyre. You'd need to have bionic thumbs, or access to an advance pitstop. Had to phone my good lady wife to come and collect me. 91.67 miles done in 5 Hrs 17 mins. Pi$$ed off I didn't get to finish :mad: Needless to say, both Hutch's now going in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

:mad: Needless to say, both Hutch's now going in the bin.

Have those on my Eurus wheels - need to have nerves of steel, the patience of a particularly patient saint and fingertips of unobtanium to get those mofos on the rim!

Love the way they roll but dreading the day I pick up a puncture on em...

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Have those on my Eurus wheels - need to have nerves of steel, the patience of a particularly patient saint and fingertips of unobtanium to get those mofos on the rim!

Love the way they roll but dreading the day I pick up a puncture on em...

I have done a little over 2,000 miles on my pair and this was the first puncture. I had plenty of time (while waiting for my missus to collect me) to look over the tyre. The back one would certainly need to be replaced.

daragh_ wrote: »

Captain, MCC did a brilliant job. Many thank again and bad luck with your chain.

Forgot my manners,+1 on both fronts had a great day out thanks to mcc. well organised and plenty of grub. pity about your chain.

Ryaner wrote: »

I put a new Ultegra chain on the bike Thursday evening, this was it's first spin. Rightly p1ssed off. There's no point in writting any report, except to say it was nice to finally meet Beasty, kennyb and Daragh, also it was good to meet Astramonti and Unionman again. I was raging on the side of the road when a couple of lads from Naas were talking "serves him right for wearing a yellow jersey", "some balls, I wouldn't wear one", I was going to murder them as they were taking the p1ss whilst cycling away, didn't really think it was funny as I was there with a snapped chain waiting for the Broomwagon to come and end my day. It would have been funny though if they had the balls to say it to my face but very unsportsman like behaviour. Speaking of unsportsman like behaviour, shouldn't you be protecting the leader Beasty Gadret? :D

When I had the chain back on, I had images of a valiant effort from myself, overtaking the stragglers, suffering going up the hills and coming on here this evening to describe the lengths I went to, to finish. I was taking the corners at full pace using the full road, I got behind a tractor for a period. When I got to the foodstop, this image got more realistic as there were still people there, on the way I stopped and gave a guy a tube, so I was no longer la lanterne rouge. A few kilometers after the foodstop the chain snapped again, I knew there was no point in continuing, even though he had my toolbox, how more links could I remove? Anyway, there's a French song that comes to my mind for the next moment. Into the Broomwagon we go, kind of happy to see a familiar face, although disapointed that Unionman didn't get to finish. Luckily the Broomwagon was changing over and we got a lift more or less directly to Kilkenny and didn't have to go all the way around. When we got to Kilkenny we were greeted with words of comfort from Daragh_ :rolleyes:

Went home showered, had dinner. Got on my mountain bike to go back to the finish to help clean up and what happened? My chain twisted, feckin raging I am as it keeps jumping. Well that was only supposed to be one or two sentences but I rambled on a bit, as I do.

Fairplay to Toblerone again for organising a fantastic show adn The Doc Man you can blame for the difficult course, I didn't do much on the organising front TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Well done mcc first off great day well organised but i admit i wimped out and did the 68.25 miles in 3:58 who knew kilkenny had hills:eek: Woodstock is savage but it was all the nasty surprises that followed that got me. Met Astramonti at first waterstop only boards jersey i spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Had very good fun! The plan was to do the 160k, but it changed mid-course as I needed to be early home in Dublin so I went for the 100(110 :mad:), and I am quite glad I did, it would have been painful 50kms.

It was really great meeting Beasty, kennyb3, darragh and a couple more (apologies I can't remember the nicks now) and ofc Captain Havoc and Unionman. Unfortunately I lost them early, probably due to chain incident, sorry to hear it man! At the first climb I was with a group from Carlow and we flew up the hill, if anyone reads it well done! I remember from last year the climb out to Inistioge and as it started I was kinda laughing at the people who were going mad at the start trying to sprint it up. I switched to the small ring from the start, and by the end I 've passed like 30 people that have been blown off by it. After that another 4k climb came and then was the food stop. We ate pretty much everything with kennyb3 and headed off for the last 35kms with him and Beasty. Had a beautiful chat along the way which made things easier.

On a side note, I changed my stem to a 120mm (10mm shorter) and flipped it around at 0 degrees. I was so surprised what a difference this made to the handling of the bike, I was flying going downhill!

I will be back next year as well, the lads are doing great job to keep it fun :)

Speaking of unsportsman like behaviour, shouldn't you be protecting the leader Beasty Gadret? :D
    Moi? I was busy trying to reign in kennyb3, and didn't realise we'd managed to drop you;)

I waited a while at the water stop, but guessed you'd probably started chatting with one of the lady cyclists out today, and I didn't want to cramp your style. Hence I gave the guys a lead-out to the bottom of the hills then let them loose - I guessed they would burn themselves out and wouldn't leave anything for the final sprint back to the rugby club, and this turned out to be true

Sorry to hear about your woes - get me the details of those Naas guys, and I'll start to plot some revenge for you. Anyway you can now formally retire that (very becoming) yellow jersey. The offer still stands if you could sign it and get it to me at some stage. I would have waited around for you, but then thought nah, he's got his feet up in the broomwagon, and I may as well get home and do the same, while watching some cricket.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    The offer still stands if you could sign it and get it to me at some stage.

I don't think that jersey will ever be wearable again, it's destroyed in oil.

Advertisement