Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Kilkenny 2010

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hi guys, I plan on cycling the 100km route tomorrow and the 160 on Thursday to create a big to do list* for Toblerone if anyone is interested in joining me? There will be a bit of start stopping if there's points I need to make notes on. Woodstock three times in two weeks, amn't I the lucky one :rolleyes:

*Only joking Toblerone, I will of course be giving you hand.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Toblerone, I will of course be giving you hand

Please rephrase;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

These are the routes from last year:

100km (actually 108km!]

160km

Captain Havoc, which one are you doing? (not sure I'll be able to keep the yellow jersey in sight on those hills)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Beasty wrote: »

100km (actually 108km!]

160km

Captain Havoc, which one are you doing? (not sure I'll be able to keep the yellow jersey in sight on those hills)

I'll be going 160km, nothing like a bit of pain and suffering. I don't think you'll have much problems keeping up with me, Captain don't climb so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I'm hoping to make this, gf working all weekend so have my pass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

100km (actually 108km!]

160km

@Beasty not looking good for me getting down so I will need photographic evidence of this. The proof of wearing of MJ should include the follwing
    1) Start
    2) Acent of Woodstock prefered/ Though Thomastown Water stop will suffice
    3) Finish
    :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Esroh wrote: »
    @Beasty not looking good for me getting down so I will need photographic evidence of this. The proof of wearing of MJ should include the follwing
    1) Start
    2) Acent of Woodstock prefered/ Though Thomastown Water stop will suffice
    3) Finish
    :D
    Does that mean I need to get to the top of Woodstock before him to take his bleedin' picture?

I guess it also means I've got to do the full 160 (having chickened out at the foodstop last year):eek:

Does that mean I need to get to the top of Woodstock before him to take his bleedin' picture?

I guess it also means I've got to do the full 160 (having chickened out at the foodstop last year):eek:

Seriously, just give up cycling if you can't beat Captain No Power up Woodstock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I'd did offer you the waterstop in Thomastown which is before Woodstock.:D and you could sneak away after the full feedstop then.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Hi all, just a quick update. You may be aware the Cycling Ireland has revised their policy/fee in relation to one day licence.

Therefore we are revising entrant fee for non-CI licencse holders from €30 to €25 ;). Entrant fee for CI licence holders remains at €20, on production of same on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Hi all, just a quick update. You may be aware the Cycling Ireland has revised their policy/fee in relation to one day licence.

Therefore we are revising entrant fee for non-CI licencse holders from €30 to €25 ;). Entrant fee for CI licence holders remains at €20, on production of same on the day.
    Does that mean one day licences are now €5 for races too?

Ryaner wrote: »
    Does that mean one day licences are now €5 for races too?

As far as I'm aware, the new policy only applies to "leisure" events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

penexpers wrote: »
    Is there anyone heading down from Dublin or Kildare who could offer me a lift to this from Newbridge? I would obviously share petrol costs and whatever else.

Still looking for a lift :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I should be driving down, realised that cycling to all these events is a little nuts, W200 being case in point.
    Will know Monday when I confirm the bike rack fits on the car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hey,

Can I ask a bit of a stupid question?

I do a bit of XC MTB all trails and mountains kinda stuff, I have never taken part in a road race or even of any sort before. I'm from Kilkenny originally and will be around next weekend, I think I might be able to score a road bike for the weekend, is the 40km a trek for someone who normally hacks about the mountains on a full suspension bike.

And what kinda time would you expect the 40km to take?

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You would be well up to this sort of ride, it is not a race. I would recommend it. As to the time that really depends, at the end of the day you are challenging yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

And what kinda time would you expect the 40km to take?

Under 2hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Cheers Guys...

I might just give it a go, I have spent many years playing rugby out in Club in Kilkenny, it will be quiet a sight to see me on a road bike in Lycra there.

Adrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 MarbleCityCycle

Please note that online registration for Tour de Kilkenny closes this Thursday at midday.

You can register for Tour de Kilkenny here.

A reminder that entrant fee for this sportive is €20 for Cycling Ireland members and €25 for non-Cycling Ireland members.

We're looking forward to welcoming ye down to Kilkenny this weekend. I just said I'd give you preview of the route as I did last year. On that note I'd like to say that there has been no changes to last years route so if you did it last year, you'll know what it's like.

100 & 160 kms routes.
    The 100 & 160 km routes start off together from Kilkenny Rugby Club situated on the Waterford Rd, if you're using GPS type in Foulkstown. From the rugby club we take a left onto the Waterford Rd heading toward the ring road where at the first roundabout we take a right followed by a right at the second roundabout to head towards Bennettsbridge. In Bennettsbridge we leave the main road and go left/straight towards Gowran, right after Gowran to Goresbridge, right in Goresbridge to go to Graiguenamanagh. For the most part this 35km section is mostly flat with a little up and down and last year was done at a high pace.

Once we get to Graiguenamanagh (doo, doo, do, doo, doo) we take a right turn at the roundabout to our first climb of the day: Coppenagh. It's a 6km x 225m meter climb, which is a constant drag all the way to the top. The descent into Thomastown is fast, with a couple of corners that needs attention paid to. We don't actually go into Thomastown itself but have a water stop and head towards Inistioge. This road is well surfaced, my advice would be to take this as an opportunity to take it easy before Inistioge. You'll have done about 60kms at this stage.

The way into Inistioge is beautiful, the best scenery Kilkenny has to offer but on the way out you'll be in too much pain to notice or care. Woodstock hill is the main cliimb of the day. It's sharp, 10%+ 160m in 3kms initially. For all you freaks who love hard climbing there's more hard up and downs for the next 10kms or so until you get to your well deserved tae, caca milis agus hang sangers at Listerlin. At this stage you'll have done about 75kms.

100kms have a nice steady descent to Thomastown on a road that you'll be able to get up to good speeds on. From Thomastown you'll head to Bennettsbridge which has one wee bump on it and a fast road into Bennettsbridge. Out of Bennettsbridge there is a short but sharp climb towards the Danesfort. At Danesfort you take a right to head back to the start. This road is flat and well surfaced.

160kms head on towards Mullinavat. This road is a bit lumpy and with a plateau type thing also. Unfortunately this plateau type thing is high up and you'll more than likely be heading directly into the wind, so best of luck with that one. There's a nice drop into Mullinavat, be careful of the two roundabouts for the motorway, take a left and then the next right. Here it gets a bit up and down for 10kms or so followed by a steady climb up the hairpins of the Passo dello Templeorum. This is the longest drag of the day and the highest point, about 250m over that 10kms . It's not steep at any point on the climb. It was here that I fell apart last year, tired and sore. At this stage you'll have done about 100kms.

The next 10kms are very well surfaced and down hill which will be a good opportunity to get up a good speed, there is one junction where you'll need to slow down. After you take this junction start to look out for the road markings which show a left turn. I know a few cyclists went on straight there last year but this year we've well marked it with a marking after to say you've gone too far.

It's fairly flat to Kilmoganny where there'll be another water stop. The climb out of Kilmoganny is a steady drag. After this you descend and again need to be careful as there's a T-junction at the bottom where'll you'll take a right to Callan. There's a nice climb up to Windgap and a pacey descent after it followed by long flat to Callan. At the Callan by-pass you take a right and while still on it a left towards Kilmanagh. This section is also flat but extra caution is required as you cross a road of more importance with a bend leading to the junction.

The final climb of the day is short but with your legs in a world of pain it may seem to go on a bit (as it did for me last year). Nice scenery when you get to the top and pacey descent. From here it's pretty flat all the way home but keep your eyes open for direction markings.

Maps are here: 160km 100km There's a total of about 1,800m of climbing

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Signed up for the 160k, havent cycled that far before but im sure with a group and some half decent pacing/nutrition i ll be fine.

Presume its a case of getting there about 8 and picking up the number? will be bed early friday and up super early saturday.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Signed up for the 160k, havent cycled that far before but im sure with a group and some half decent pacing/nutrition i ll be fine.

Presume its a case of getting there about 8 and picking up the number? will be bed early friday and up super early saturday.

I got there about 8 last year, and was one of the first there. However given likely numbers I suspect parking places may be at a premium this year. You just sign on, pay your CI licence fee, if aplicable, and pick up your number

IIRC I think there was a delay - it was probably nearer 9.30 by the time the peleton set off with its Gardai outriders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I'm not going to make it to this anymore - heading to Croke Park instead.

We are expecting large numbers and we're asking anyone who's definately going, to sign up online to ease the queues on the morning or sign in/ up the Friday evening. There'll be a dedicated online sign in desk (which I think I'll be on).

There'll be a dedicated online sign in desk .

Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Does the online entry take Laser payment? and If not, can I pay on the morning? just been talked into this today.

xz wrote: »
    Does the online entry take Laser payment? and If not, can I pay on the morning? just been talked into this today.

The company used for online registration unfortunately do not take lasercard, just Visa or Mastercard.

On the morning registration opens from 7am and 8.30am. The advantage of online registration is a guaranteed goody bag ;) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

We are expecting large numbers and we're asking anyone who's definately going, to sign up online to ease the queues on the morning or sign in/ up the Friday evening. There'll be a dedicated online sign in desk (which I think I'll be on).

I've paid online but will have to get my Cycling Ireland thing on Saturday morning. Will I be able to pay at the online registration desk? Don't want to be holding up the line :)

daragh_ wrote: »
    I've paid online but will have to get my Cycling Ireland thing on Saturday morning. Will I be able to pay at the online registration desk? Don't want to be holding up the line :)

Yes indeed you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

Just signed up on-line. Looking forward to it!

Advertisement