Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Kilkenny 2010

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I don't think that jersey will ever be wearable again, it's destroyed in oil.

Cap sorry to hear your day in yellow ended in such a way. I will not require the forementioned photographic evidence. Bet was honoured

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

First off, well done to Marble City Cycles for organising a great event - tough but enjoyable. The spread at the food stops was particularly impressive, loadsa sandwiches, melons, oranges & bananas at the water stops, very friendly volunteers & the bourbon creams & Viscounts at the end were just what I needed!

Saw a couple of Boards jerseys (both new & old) on the way round, but never got round to introducing myself. Was with the Carlow guys headin up the first climb, but struggled a bit with the pace on the descent so decided to hang around a bit at the water stop for a slower group. Ended up heading out on my own & caught up with most of that group again at various points on the Woodstock climb.

After the food stop, did about 20kms largely on my own again, until I paired up with a guy in a red Malin-Mizen jersey on the ascent into Templorum & we fairly hammered on from there to the waterstop. From there to the finish, spent most of the time in a nice group with guys from Naas, Slaney, Cork, and a couple of guys in non-club jerseys. Some really enjoyable windy & flat roads at this stage, & we kept up a strong pace until the last climb where we splintered a little bit, but all arrived at the rugby club within a few minutes of each other.

All in all, a great day out, hopefully I'll make it back next year :).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Had a major mechanical in Kilmanagh, which involved trying (unsuccessfully) to get a tube (two tubes acutaully, both burst) into a Dura Ace, 2 way fit wheel, and a Hutchinson Road Fusion tubless tyre. You'd need to have bionic thumbs, or access to an advance pitstop. Had to phone my good lady wife to come and collect me. 91.67 miles done in 5 Hrs 17 mins. Pi$$ed off I didn't get to finish :mad: Needless to say, both Hutch's now going in the bin.

You'd need more than six bionic thumbs to be exact and a minimum of four metal tyre levers! You were right about that last hill, a toughie to say the least! And you promised you'd finish it tomorrow remember??!!
    And @Cheguedara I'm not cycling with you anymore if you use those blasted two-way hutch's!!
    Tough day in Lycra.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi buzzingnoise, i think you met myself and beasty before hand, thanks for helping with the quick fix puncture. hope you had a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Good day out I did the 109km same as last year very well organised . Well done to Pat and all the gang . Also a big thanks to the ladies serving at the food stop looked to be busy there at one stage . There seemed to be about double the amount of people from last year . Liked the idea of the tooth paste in the goodie bag . Water bottle was also a nice touch .

Well done to all who took part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Oooh the little things. Tyre bulges? Wasn't sure what they meant but everything seemed fine. Trip computer battery was dead. Then there was the small bird that pinged off the windscreen on the way down. Slagging off BMW jeep drivers (guess what vehicle the Broomwagon turned out to be?) on the drive down.

Almost Shakespearian portents of doom.

But the day started well. This was the one sportif I was really looking forward to this year, following a great day out last year. MCC deserve great praise for this event. Well organised, well marshalled, great food, and above all a really great atmosphere among the participants.

Great pace from the start, a large fast bunch. The first 50km as far as Thomastown you can get lucky and bunch ride well above your usual average speed. The drag just before Thomastown spreads things out a bit but I was gunning faster and better than last year on that one.

Thomastown to Inistioge is 7km but it doesn't feel like it.

So you hit Woodstock and the world just comes to a standstill. While it is a shock to the system it is a very enjoyable climb. I was doing fine (still managing to keep daragh_ in my sights at this stage, which alone is a sign of improvement).

There I was, doling out words of encouragement to the strugglers, and the walkers (lots of them at this point), telling them about the lovely descent that awaited them. My good cheer was short lived and I never made it to that descent. PCHFFFhhhhh!!! Was that mine? Yep. Puncture.

Ho hum, punctures I can handle.

It got worse. Inch long gash in the tyre. Enquiries as to my situation from fellow cyclists go from reassurances that 'I'm grand thanks' to 'you wouldn't happen to have a spare tyre would you?'

One chap stops and produces a cross section of tyre (he said he always carries two, which I will also do from now on) which patches the tyre perfectly. I can continue. I thank him, he goes (may the good fortune of the road be with you always kind sir) and as I am pumping the wheel I find gash number two, almost as big as the first, and wider.

I try to solicit more tyre sections as the riders, fewer in number now, struggle past. No joy.

I phone daragh_ to explain what's happening and that I will go down to Inistioge to see if I can find a taxi.

I roll back down very gingerly indeed.

There is no such thing as taxis in Inistioge (beautiful village, you must visit). But the Broomwagon shows up and I get into it relieved and crestfallen at the same time. Oh cruel fate.

We trail two cyclists for a long time. One of them is 74 years old and was drinking in the view of the Nore valley on Woodstock hill when we meet him first. He explains he hasn't been in the area since 1952. He's recently had a triple bypass. He struggles at Inistioge to finish the climb but after that he's fine and we don't see him again until the food station. He gets a rhythm going after the descent, and metronome-like just motors on. I love that. I want to do that when I'm 74.

The other is a man form the Comeragh CC. He's looking uncomfortable. His legs cramp badly and we pick him up and deposit him at the food station. He is reunited with friends, gets some sustenance and is revived enough to continue. Happy days.

We follow the 160 route before we switch vehicles for a return to Kilkenny. Captain Havoc is by the road holding his twice snapped chain aloft. I feel his pain.

Then there were two boardsies in the wagon.

We switch vehicles. As we move all the gear we spot a fresh tyre which nobody knew about.

Curses.

Back at the clubhouse daragh_ takes a picture of us in the wagon and offers words of comfort. He's great company on the drive back to Dublin but as soon as I drop him home the grey clouds of disappointment descend on me.

Buggerbuggerbuggerbugger.

I'm over it. You have to take the bad days with the good. I learned something new. I still enjoyed myself.

But Karma's a bitch ;)

Next year.

Well done MCC, all the praise is well earned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Photos (facebook), good one of Astramonti in there.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hi buzzingnoise, i think you met myself and beasty before hand, thanks for helping with the quick fix puncture. hope you had a good one.

No problem. I'll see you at the next one!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

More photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nice overshoes! The legs seem a bit out of focus though. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

The new design in all it's glory:

0078.JPG

(the old one behind :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Both in the official bike of the forum. How fitting.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kennyb3 is in there, in his new Swords gear. There's one of the Beasty also (no clues from my gear though;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

AstraMonti wrote: »
    The new design in all it's glory:

0078.JPG

(the old one behind :D)

That will teach me not to pull silly faces when I see cameras. I think that was the only time I was anywhere near AstraMonti. Watched in awe soon after as he flew up a hill.

enterthewagon.png

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

unionman wrote: »
    Oooh the little things. Tyre bulges? Wasn't sure what they meant but everything seemed fine. Trip computer battery was dead. Then there was the small bird that pinged off the windscreen on the way down. Slagging off BMW jeep drivers (guess what vehicle the Broomwagon turned out to be?) on the drive down.

Almost Shakespearian portents of doom.

But the day started well. This was the one sportif I was really looking forward to this year, following a great day out last year. MCC deserve great praise for this event. Well organised, well marshalled, great food, and above all a really great atmosphere among the participants.

Great pace from the start, a large fast bunch. The first 50km as far as Thomastown you can get lucky and bunch ride well above your usual average speed. The drag just before Thomastown spreads things out a bit but I was gunning faster and better than last year on that one.

Thomastown to Inistioge is 7km but it doesn't feel like it.

So you hit Woodstock and the world just comes to a standstill. While it is a shock to the system it is a very enjoyable climb. I was doing fine (still managing to keep daragh_ in my sights at this stage, which alone is a sign of improvement).

There I was, doling out words of encouragement to the strugglers, and the walkers (lots of them at this point), telling them about the lovely descent that awaited them. My good cheer was short lived and I never made it to that descent. PCHFFFhhhhh!!! Was that mine? Yep. Puncture.

Ho hum, punctures I can handle.

It got worse. Inch long gash in the tyre. Enquiries as to my situation from fellow cyclists go from reassurances that 'I'm grand thanks' to 'you wouldn't happen to have a spare tyre would you?'

One chap stops and produces a cross section of tyre (he said he always carries two, which I will also do from now on) which patches the tyre perfectly. I can continue. I thank him, he goes (may the good fortune of the road be with you always kind sir) and as I am pumping the wheel I find gash number two, almost as big as the first, and wider.

I try to solicit more tyre sections as the riders, fewer in number now, struggle past. No joy.

I phone daragh_ to explain what's happening and that I will go down to Inistioge to see if I can find a taxi.

I roll back down very gingerly indeed.

There is no such thing as taxis in Inistioge (beautiful village, you must visit). But the Broomwagon shows up and I get into it relieved and crestfallen at the same time. Oh cruel fate.

We trail two cyclists for a long time. One of them is 74 years old and was drinking in the view of the Nore valley on Woodstock hill when we meet him first. He explains he hasn't been in the area since 1952. He's recently had a triple bypass. He struggles at Inistioge to finish the climb but after that he's fine and we don't see him again until the food station. He gets a rhythm going after the descent, and metronome-like just motors on. I love that. I want to do that when I'm 74.

The other is a man form the Comeragh CC. He's looking uncomfortable. His legs cramp badly and we pick him up and deposit him at the food station. He is reunited with friends, gets some sustenance and is revived enough to continue. Happy days.

We follow the 160 route before we switch vehicles for a return to Kilkenny. Captain Havoc is by the road holding his twice snapped chain aloft. I feel his pain.

Then there were two boardsies in the wagon.

We switch vehicles. As we move all the gear we spot a fresh tyre which nobody knew about.

Curses.

Back at the clubhouse daragh_ takes a picture of us in the wagon and offers words of comfort. He's great company on the drive back to Dublin but as soon as I drop him home the grey clouds of disappointment descend on me.

Buggerbuggerbuggerbugger.

I'm over it. You have to take the bad days with the good. I learned something new. I still enjoyed myself.

But Karma's a bitch ;)

Next year.

Well done MCC, all the praise is well earned.

Hey unionman, that was me that offered you the piece of tyre. Sorry I didn't hang around to give you the second piece but my gang had passed and so I feared getting left behind.

Hope to see you at the Orwell Sportive : http://www.orwellwheelers.org. Not sure if our broomwagon will be as comfortable but we'll keep you a spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

More photos.

How yer man from Sport Active wasn't wiped out by a car taking those photos, I'll never know. Saw him a couple of times on the wrong side of the road on a blind bend taking photos :eek:

Great photos BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

You'd need more than six bionic thumbs to be exact and a minimum of four metal tyre levers! You were right about that last hill, a toughie to say the least! And you promised you'd finish it tomorrow remember??!!
    kennyb3 wrote: »

@buzzingnoise Jaysus, so you were in the wrong place at the wrong time twice on Saturday!! Thanks for your help and sorry for delaying ye.
    You were right about that last hill, a toughie to say the least!

I thought ye were going to.....ahem, ahem.......circumnavigate that hill!!

And you promised you'd finish it tomorrow remember??!!

Still waiting on a new tyre!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

If yea rode the tour de kilkenny on sat 31st. checkout www.sportactive.com and select cycling galleries. There`s lots of pictures there and most people should have gotten their faces into some shots. I was assured by the lady that there`s no problem downloading them to your own photo albums.
    NOW wonder why there`s no pics of me?
    Anyway now that the pains have subsided and i won`t see many of ye til next next year; it`s time to let yea know i`may have been the cause of some of the agony you all seemed to enjoy. I put together both routes in 2009 and stuck to the same formula for this year. A CHALLENGE!
    Here`s to seeing you all back with some friends for 2011.
    B.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TheDocMan wrote: »
    If yea rode the tour de kilkenny on sat 31st. checkout www.sportactive.com
    B.

Wrong URL :)
    Try http://www.sportactive.net/ instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

TheDocMan wrote: »
    it`s time to let yea know i`may have been the cause of some of the agony you all seemed to enjoy.
    B.

Ya, thanks for that!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 MarbleCityCycle

Hi all, thanks very much for the kind words, very much appreciated. Makes all the efforts worthwhile. That and the €6,500+ raised for Barretstown!! That's a great figure in these times so thanks to all involved.

I'll let you know once more photos are got and the amount raised is confirmed. I'm sure to see many of ye on the road in the next while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I put a new Ultegra chain on the bike Thursday evening, this was it's first spin.

Was it a 6700 chain? These new chains have to be put on the right way round. If you look in the book it says this
    In order to obtain good gear shifting performance, the CN-
    7900 / CN-6700 has a forward side and a reverse side,
    and the sides are marked so that the CN-7900 / CN-6700
    will face the correct way when installed. The proper
    design performance will be obtained when the CN-7900 /
    CN-6700 is installed so that it faces the correct way. If it
    is installed so that it faces the opposite way, the chain
    may come off and the bicycle may fall over and serious
    injury may occur as a result.

This may have been the problem? My mate got caught out with it as he just popped the chain on with out even looking at the instructions. it was only after he noticed this.

Stokolan wrote: »
    Was it a 6700 chain? These new chains have to be put on the right way round. If you look in the book it says this

This may have been the problem? My mate got caught out with it as he just popped the chain on with out even looking at the instructions. it was only after he noticed this.

No, I didn't look at this. Well it was an expensive lesson. Real men don't read instructions anyway :o

Here's another media link to the TdK it's the 40km roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

More photos here - you'll probably need a Facebook account.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

More photos here - you'll probably need a Facebook account.

Link does not work - this one should

Advertisement