Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Kilkenny 2010

Options
  • 17-06-2010 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Tour de Kilkenny 2010 will be on Saturday, 31 July 2010. There are three scenic routes of Kilkenny on offer: 160km, 100km and 40km. Both the 160km and 100km route will be leaving Kilkenny Rugby Club at 9am and the 40km will start at 11am. All three routes will finish back at the Kilkenny Rugby Club.

Entrant fee is €20 and you can enter online by clicking here. There will also be a further €10 charge on the day if a one-day Cycling Ireland licence is required. All funds raised is for the Barretstown Children’s Camp, a charity that is about rebuilding lives affected by childhood cancer. Last year we raised over €5,500 for this excellent charity and this year we are hoping to raise even more with your help!!

We will be posting further detail on our website, www.marblecitycyclers.com, in due course and of course I'll let boards.ie know any update ;).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I did this last year (the, erm, 109km route as I recall) and thoroughly enjoyed it, one of the best events of the year. Beautiful roads, some great climbs, and a terrific atmosphere on the day. Marble City did a very fine job in what I think was the first year of the event (?).

Word of mouth has been so strong since, I expect a lot more people will turn up for it this year.

Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Been convinced by 'someone' to do the 100k this year. Is the route decided yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Excellent event, highly recommend it. Did last year the 160 and I plan to do it again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Would plan to do this. Probably 100 but maybe 160.

Just signed up and noticed that the registration is 2 euro cheaper this year, fair play to ye guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭billyhead

How tough is the 100Km does anyone know.

billyhead wrote: »
    How tough is the 100Km does anyone know.

My memory of the first 40/50 kms was that it was fairly handy, we had good weather too which helped. Fast group pace was set for the first half too. Well, fast for me anyway.

After that I remember a log-ish drag before Inistioge, and the climb up by Woodstock is short-ish but very steep. Very steep.

After Inistioge I just remember a nice descent, followed by lots of up and down cyling. Climb/descent, climb/descent, none of it impossible.

Then when my trip computer indicated 100km I realised I was only in Bennetsbridge. It was another 9km to the finish, which had rolling road, headwind, but it was fine. Until I spoke to a local cyclist I still had no idea how much further I had to go.

In short, if you've done Wicklow (?) this is very doable. ROK would be decent prep too. My memory of it was that was challenging but not beyond the scope of anyone who has done that distance a few times.

I really enjoyed it and can't recommend it enough. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

unionman wrote: »
    My memory of the first 40/50 kms was that it was fairly handy, we had good weather too which helped. Fast group pace was set for the first half too. Well, fast for me anyway.

After that I remember a log-ish drag before Inistioge, and the climb up by Woodstock is short-ish but very steep. Very steep.

After Inistioge I just remember a nice descent, followed by lots of up and down cyling. Climb/descent, climb/descent, none of it impossible.

Then when my trip computer indicated 100km I realised I was only in Bennetsbridge. It was another 9km to the finish, which had rolling road, headwind, but it was fine. Until I spoke to a local cyclist I still had no idea how much further I had to go.

In short, if you've done Wicklow (?) this is very doable. ROK would be decent prep too. My memory of it was that was challenging but not beyond the scope of anyone who has done that distance a few times.

I really enjoyed it and can't recommend it enough. Hope that helps.

The 180k of rok would be decent prep for this 100k? It must be one tough SOB

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

What's that MarbleCityCycle? You've banned the wearing of yellow jerseys at this event. Oh, I was so looking forward to wearing it :rolleyes:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

poolboy wrote: »
    The 180k of rok would be decent prep for this 100k? It must be one tough SOB

Well, at the risk of upsetting people, even this fred found the ROK relatively easy going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Just completed the 160 km route today with the Boss today as good training.To answer a few questions; Daragh the routes are the same for 100 & 160km as last year. Check out the club website marblecitycyclers.com for route maps and profiles. As 100km routes go it has a challenging middle third but advice is to take the climbs nice and steady. They don`t reward attacking!
    Online entry is now open.
    We`re planning to make this years experience that bit better by adding and building on last year, so anybody who`s coming back for more should even have a better experience.
    Keep the queries coming!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What's that MarbleCityCycle? You've banned the wearing of yellow jerseys at this event. Oh, I was so looking forward to wearing it :rolleyes:
    Everyone else is banned - you, however, will be required to wear yours ....

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Beasty wrote: »
    Everyone else is banned - you, however, will be required to wear yours ....

I'm suprised Beasty that you got hold off such confidental information but I can confirm that this is the position.

You may also be interested to note that the rider wearing the yellow jersey must attack on the climb coming out of Inistioge. Otherwise he will be required to do again. In the big ring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm suprised Beasty that you got hold off such confidental information but I can confirm that this is the position.

You may also be interested to note that the rider wearing the yellow jersey must attack on the climb coming out of Inistioge. Otherwise he will be required to do again. In the big ring.

Actually, Beasty is the one forcing me against my will to wear the yellow jersey.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Actually, Beasty is the one forcing me against my will to wear the yellow jersey.
    Against your will indeed:rolleyes:. You need absolutely no prompting to don your maillot jaune:D

Beasty wrote: »
    Against your will indeed:rolleyes:. You need absolutely no prompting to don your maillot jaune:D

Shhhhhhhhhhhh Beasty, they can't find out I'm a complete fred or they'll stop talking to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 MarbleCityCycle

Below is the poster for this event. Please feel free to use it on your club's website etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Is there anyone heading down from Dublin or Kildare who could offer me a lift to this from Newbridge? I would obviously share petrol costs and whatever else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

This was new event of the year for me last year and many others were of the same opinion. Excellent, challenging, scenic route and great organisation from MCC. Reasonable entry fee AND it is for charity.

@poolboy- the ROK is very very flat, this one is a lot hillier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I did the 160 last year, 'pha', I thought, 'its Kilkenny, its flat, this'll be easy'

Fail

It started really well, tearing along for the first 1/4 then things started getting bumpy (I'll just say since that day I when I hear of Woodstock I dont think of hippies and music) After a break everything seemed fine, plain sailing, but more rough and tumble lay ahead.
    At the start I was happy to be there, by now I was looking for a way out, one more vertical climb and into kilkenny, happy to be finished, delighted to have done it, back tracking on all the curses I had laid on the route planner and looking forward to the next time. great day out, nice crowd, good roads and the happiest food stop people you'll ever meet on a cycle.

I'd recomend it to anyone looking to test themselves and have a laugh!!

• Advertisement

Just want to add there, if anyone does have any last minute emergencies or needs somewhere secure to leave the bike overnight don't hesitate to contact me. I've a secure concrete shed with tools for 99% of bicycle repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 amgelec

What's the difference between the 160km and the 100km route (apart from the obvious 60km extra)???

Do they throw in a couple of extra hills just to wear you down even more and work off your cake from the foodstop or what?

Did the ROK and from what I see it's tougher than that!! So basically i dunno whether to go for the 100km or the 160km option :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Just want to add there, if anyone does have any last minute emergencies or needs somewhere secure to leave the bike overnight don't hesitate to contact me. I've a secure concrete shed with tools for 99% of bicycle repairs.

just dont sak him for a pump ;)

amgelec wrote: »
    What's the difference between the 160km and the 100km route (apart from the obvious 60km extra)???

Do they throw in a couple of extra hills just to wear you down even more and work off your cake from the foodstop or what?

Did the ROK and from what I see it's tougher than that!! So basically i dunno whether to go for the 100km or the 160km option :confused:

I thought I was doing the 160k last year, but changed my mind at the food stop - the hills towards the end of the first part (Woodstock in particular) persuaded me that discretion was the better part of valour. Hence I suggest you sign up for the 160k, but leave it until the food stop to make a final decision (and if you are in doubt now, I am sure you will end up doing the 100k (actually about 109k!))

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

As Beasty rightly pointed out, you could sign-on for the 160km and opt to do the 100km at the foodstop, there is no different in the entrant fee.

But IMO, the toughest climb on the 160km is Woodstock, which is also in the 100km route. In saying that, there are a few more hills on the remaining part of the 160km, were there is just one left on the 100km (after the foodstop).

From talking to a few lads, it is tougher than the ROK but if you're looking to make the next step up.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 amgelec

TY Beasty and Toblerone....sounds like a good idea alright :)

jwshooter....don't worry I have a pump ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I've a secure concrete shed with tools for 99% of bicycle repairs.

A centre of excellence should be able to cater for 100% of bicycle repairs.

Can't make it this year due to it clashing with work.:mad:

From talking to a few lads, it is tougher than the ROK but if you're looking to make the next step up.... :D

It's much tougher than the ROK, some of my stats:

Elevation: + 1967 / - 1959 m
    Max Grade: 14.5 %
    Avg. Grade: 0.7 %

120439.jpg

jwshooter....don't worry I have a pump ;)

Bit of an in-joke there between JW and myself.
    A centre of excellence should be able to cater for 100% of bicycle repairs.

Can't make it this year due to it clashing with work.:mad:

Well Menchov does lack that 1% :)
    Sorry you can't make it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Looks like fun!

Advertisement