Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools in D15

Options
  • 18-02-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi. We're currently househunting and the quality of our childrens' education is important to us.

Does anybody know where I can get some information on the standards of education in the following schools, especially personal experience, or do you have experience yourself:

Primary Schools:
    St. Moctha's
    St. Francis Xavier
    St. Josephs
    Mary Mother of Hope, Littlepace
    St. Benedicts, Phibblestown (?)
    Educate Together, Castaheany

Secondary Schools:
    Coolime Community College
    Castleknock Community College
    Scoil Pobail Setanta, Phibblestown
    Phibblestown Community College (I'm not sure if this is the same as the Setanta school).
    Luttrelstown Community College

If you have any information on the standard of education in any other schools in the area, I would appreciate it very much.

I understand that I need to be in a particular catchment in order to get the kids into a particular school.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

IMO I think you will find that really the standard of education varies little between the schools; all of the above have good reputations.
    The local primary Gaelscoil also has a good reputation (Scoil Oilibheir, Coolmine), not sure if there are any other gaelscoils around.

Some people say the students in the private schools do better in exams (Castleknock College and Mount Sackville), not sure if its true but both are excellent schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Went to Francis Xavier and Coolmine myself, personally Mount Sackville always had a bad reputation. Didn't do me any harm in those scools with 7As in Leaving Cert and First Class Degree and Masters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

What do you want from a school?

Academic achievement for the bright kids? All-round education for every type? Mature your kids into adults, giving them self-esteem and confidence? Sports? Leaving Cert applied? Get into medicine? Extra help for those with difficulties? Inclusiveness? Single-sex or mixed?

All of the second-level schools touch on all of those areas but some are stonger than others in particular aspects.

As for the primary schools in D.15, you need to know which schools have the best language support. There are a large number of non-nationals (in my opinion, a good thing) but it does place demands on the teaching resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

With the way things are at the moment, you pretty much take a school place where you can get one.

I have children in primary and secondary, and our choice of schools was based on where we live, unless you have the money for private - you take the place your offered.

I have had no complaints on any of the primary or secondary schools level or standard of education. We have been in Scoil Oilibheir, CETNS & Coolmine and I could not fault any for education standards. I have found Coolmine to be an excellent school and have never had any complaints about the staff.

To be honest I think the home is even more important to the standard of education your child will achieve than the school. So once you remain that interest your child will also. If education/learning is not important to you or your child it will make no difference how good the school is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I am familiar with St. Francis Xavier (Primary) and Coolmine Community School (Secondary) and would have no hestitation in recommending the two. I won't comment on schools with which I am not familiar, but I would echo the sentiments of the last poster - that ultimately success is governed by the home. If a child never opens a book then ultimately the school can do little enough about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Environ

Thanks for all the replies. We DO want a high standard of education, but we also want our children to integrate with other nationalities. I have always said that Ireland's multiculturalism is a good thing. But, our children's education is our number one priority.

We will buy a house in an area where we are confident that the schools will give them a very good education. But, for the most part, I have yet to hear a real criticism of any school yet, but I have had glowing reports about some of them (from sources other than this website).

Thanks again. Any more comments greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

The only thing I would add, following from your comment to wanting an intergrated education.... then I would not advise going down the galescoil route, as you are unlikely to find a mix of nationalities there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

St Phillips in mountview has a good record
    Believe it or not Blakestown has a good record as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I spoke to a couple of local kids about the Educate Together that you mentioned,
    they didn't rate it highly, unusually these two girls frowned upon the lack of a uniform and addressing the tutors by the first name, as a bad thing.

These girls go private in town, and obviously they will get the better education, e.g. the 7As

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Environ

Does anybody have anything on St. Benedicts (other than it's relocating plans)? We saw a house that we both fell in love with and it falls into their catchment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 JenStar

I'm hoping for some advise. My son is due to start secondary school next Sept. He was just offered a place in Luttrellstown community college. We have also applied to Coolmine community college and should be offered a place as we are in the catchment area. If we are going to go with Luttrellstown, we need to accept by Tuesday.

We've only recently moved to the area and I have really no idea which school is the better one. I've been to open days at both schools and know that Luttrellstown will have a new building next year. That's not enough to base this decision on though. I'd appreciate hearing about people's experience with either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Dont know a whole lot about Luttrellstown school, but I can heartily recommend Coolmine, the staff are fantastic and really look after the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I went to Coolmine and it was great but I heard its gone really downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Junk_Mail

Also went to Coolmine, would recommend.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

My brother is in Luttrellstown and loves it. He was very badly bullied in primary school, and several of those bullies ended up in his class. The staff were fantastic and there's been no bullying since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What the academic record of LCC? AFAIK I don't think its had a leaving cert year yet?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

BostonB wrote: »
    What the academic record of LCC? AFAIK I don't think its had a leaving cert year yet?

Not yet. I remember when I was in TY in another nearby school that they had a Young Scientist entry. That would have been their first year of being a school. Believe they'd some decent junior cert results this year (their first)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Junk_Mail

Assuming by their website no, they only have a curriculum for junior cert and transition years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How do the junior certs results compare with CCC or coolmine for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

How do the junior certs results compare with CCC or coolmine for example?

Last year was the 1st Junior Cert year for the school and I haven't seen anything official in relation to other schools but I know most students faired well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 JenStar

Thanks so much for all the feedback. We've accepted LCC. Coolmine haven't made their offers yet though but I think we'll stick with that. I've really only heard good things about both. I'd be interested in knowing how they compare with junior cert results though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

* Sorry for resurrecting an old post,mods feel free to lock if this is not appropriate.*

With the enrollment dates for schools coming up over the next couple of weeks, just wondering what people's thoughts are regarding schools in the area.

I am in Clonee and trying to make a decision about sending my little one to either Scoil Grainne, or the Blanchardstown West Educate Together school which is currently in the prefabs at the front of Mary Mother of Hope, but will be moving down the road to the new school site in Hansfield for September this year.

I'd be interested to hear any feedback from any parents who have kids in either of these schools, either on the thread or by PM if you prefer. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

amtc wrote: »
    Didn't do me any harm in those scools with 7As in Leaving Cert and First Class Degree and Masters

School's...

Kev. wrote: »
    School's...

Sigh. I think youll find the original spelling is the correct one but try not to derail threads with pointless posts. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Apologies for being ironic with 'scools'. Of course it's schools. No apostrophes as per last comment made. And my Ph.D courtesy of St Francis' Xavier's and Coolmine worked out well, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The only thing I would add, following from your comment to wanting an intergrated education.... then I would not advise going down the galescoil route, as you are unlikely to find a mix of nationalities there.

You would may be surprised to hear that that is not the truth in most of Dublin. I'm involved in a group that meets in Scoil Oilibhéir and looking at the pictures on the classroom walls and the names on them, I can tell you that there is quite the mix of nationalities.

There's a Gaelscoil on Parnell Square opposite the Gate that has a huge mix of nationalities too, as do the Gaeilscoileanna several of my friends teach in in the suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Environ wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. We DO want a high standard of education, but we also want our children to integrate with other nationalities. I have always said that Ireland's multiculturalism is a good thing. But, our children's education is our number one priority.

We will buy a house in an area where we are confident that the schools will give them a very good education. But, for the most part, I have yet to hear a real criticism of any school yet, but I have had glowing reports about some of them (from sources other than this website).

Thanks again. Any more comments greatly appreciated.

ALL schools, i repeat ALL schools have a catchment area to follow and to respect. ALL waiting list(s) is managed by Board of Management and there are strict rules in approving a place for kids.
    Buying a house for your future based on the school...not sure if that's right decision because a good school is made by students ... and teachers/staff/budget/area. All these factors are exposed to various external factors that you personal cannot control it !

For me, maybe lucky, but my kids went to the best school :the one around the corner of my street ! :)

Good luck.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Still no feedback on any of the schools in the area folks, anybody got something to say about their own experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

There is also a Gealscoil up in tyrrelstown , Gealscoil an chuilinn , heard great reports from some parents up there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Arciphel wrote: »
    Still no feedback on any of the schools in the area folks, anybody got something to say about their own experiences?

Dublin 15,as the second biggest "city" in Ireland have been blessed with a good, very good pool of local schools.

Been myself in few hundreds classes in local schools, i can say that we as parents are so lucky to have the schools, the infrastructure, teachers, management and additional staff and not lastly, we as the parents association as they are today !
    All classes have top of the range IT, local library, events, curriculum been the same as per Department regulations (little exception Educate Together).Same number of teachers per teacher allocation. Big PE halls, decent yards for well deserved breaks. Close-by and well signed entrance and access.

What differentiate them ,a school from another !? Dunno, i guess catchment area for you as a child / parent.
    A child will have exposure to at least multiple teachers across the school years so it will reduce the teacher routine practice on the student, by rotating teachers it improve sociability and a better understanding of the various teaching methods.

Inside, is a continuous dynamic ever-changing hard work by all people involved behind the closed door of any school. All staff been proud to be part of the school payroll ! I haven't heard any teacher that says he /she plans to leave the school and move to another area, all been happy around here.

TBH, I will be surprised if you have ever heard anything bad about any school around here...
    We, normally blame :
    -the Department, dunno why but always takes the blame
    -the weather that gives children a so well deserved drop off in the morning and afternoon, creating an organised chaos during morning and afternoon pick-up time
    -some parents aka car drivers, that from 8:30AM and 9:05AM are like some bullies trying to fight for every inch of car park space available, even if is in the bus stop. Curious, after 9:05AM,they are a totally different person, smiley, cheerfully and hello hello ...

Dunno, you need to analyse internal, external and personal factors when chose a school for your kids, but I will say that while all schools been the same I reckon is down at the child level to be willing to learn and to their parents to be there to assist them !
    Saw kids, poor kids ,in the rain at 7AM waiting for the bus to bring them to a well name school...can you imagine what schedule that kid had ?
    One teacher said to me that she's able to tell which children had the home work done with assistance from child's parent ! That was a good sign...
    Another teacher said while not allowed to have more or less favourite kids, it could be days when a single child can create a complete chaos in the class...
    Also, while i've been in some infants classes, with the teacher lecturing to them,1/3 was active listening to teacher, other third looking at me while others...complete lost in their own world ! :) Lucky little guys...

So, let us know your selection principle, create a need, want, wish list, get a SWOT list and get each school across each other until one, I'm sure one, it will cross all the check boxes.

Have fun...

Advertisement