Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools in D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

There is also a Gealscoil up in tyrrelstown , Gealscoil an chuilinn , heard great reports from some parents up there

My daughter attends Gaelscoil an Chuilinn in Tyrrelstown. They only opened in 2012 and my daughter is one of the first pupils there. The school does amazing work and the standard I see is very high.
    It wasn't out first choice but we weren't in the catchment for Mary Mother of Hope even living in the estate, we live too far down! Scoil Grainne only offered a place a week after school started. We did get a place in Dunboyne where our daughter's friends go but we decided to stick with the Gaelscoil because of the information and vibe we got from the meetings. It was the best decision we made. My daughter loves it and is thriving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Arciphel wrote: »
    Still no feedback on any of the schools in the area folks, anybody got something to say about their own experiences?

D.15 is too big an area, its like a small city. you'd get a better idea from talking to people local to your immediate area. You'll likely be restricted to schools you in the catchment for, or are already on the waiting list.

Hard to hear about any problems in a school unless you're in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

nomesc wrote: »
    My daughter attends Gaelscoil an Chuilinn in Tyrrelstown. They only opened in 2012 and my daughter is one of the first pupils there. The school does amazing work and the standard I see is very high.
    It wasn't out first choice but we weren't in the catchment for Mary Mother of Hope even living in the estate, we live too far down! Scoil Grainne only offered a place a week after school started. We did get a place in Dunboyne where our daughter's friends go but we decided to stick with the Gaelscoil because of the information and vibe we got from the meetings. It was the best decision we made. My daughter loves it and is thriving.

nomesc, I must live quite close to you. we are in Clonee but in the catchment for Huntstown, not Mary Mother of Hope. They changed the catchment areas shortly after we bought our house.

How did you manage to get considered for Dunboyne? Would really like to be in a feeder school for St. Peters.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

nicnac wrote: »
    nomesc, I must live quite close to you. we are in Clonee but in the catchment for Huntstown, not Mary Mother of Hope. They changed the catchment areas shortly after we bought our house.

How did you manage to get considered for Dunboyne? Would really like to be in a feeder school for St. Peters.

We just put her name down. We were late doing it too as I missed the registration. There was also 3 other children from the same crèche down for that school, only 1 was in the catchment and all 3 got offered places in March / April we were on the waiting list and were offered the place in June. Crèche was juniors so not affiliated with the school. Just go and put the name down. It's worth a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Was just down in Dunboyne today handing in an application form for the junior school. The enrollment deadline is passed but am on the waiting list. Also applied to Schoil Grainne, Mary Mother of Hope and Blanchardstown West Educate Together (moving to new school building in Hansfield in Sept). Am considering putting name down in Francis Xavier in Castleknock tomorrow, a bit away from home but close to where I work so might be manageable. Nicnac drop me a PM if you want to compare notes, nomesc I think I know who you are already so must chat to you on Facebook about school situation ;)

Was just down in Dunboyne today handing in an application form for the junior school. The enrollment deadline is passed but am on the waiting list. Also applied to Schoil Grainne, Mary Mother of Hope and Blanchardstown West Educate Together (moving to new school building in Hansfield in Sept). Am considering putting name down in Francis Xavier in Castleknock tomorrow, a bit away from home but close to where I work so might be manageable. Nicnac drop me a PM if you want to compare notes, nomesc I think I know who you are already so must chat to you on Facebook about school situation ;)

Is there a limit to the number of primary schools I can put her name down for? Have had her enrolled in the Castaheany Educate Together since 2010.

Is there a difference between Blanch ETS and Castaheany ETS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Is there a limit to the number of primary schools I can put her name down for? Have had her enrolled in the Castaheany Educate Together since 2010.

I don't think there is a limit. It's crazy really, they should have one centralised system for enrollment, like the CAO for college places. Would stop all this multiple enrollment scenarios and make it easier for everyone.

I think Blanch West ETS is going to change name into Castaheaney ETS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Kev. wrote: »
    School's...
    athtrasna wrote: »
    You would may be surprised to hear that that is not the truth in most of Dublin. I'm involved in a group that meets in Scoil Oilibhéir and looking at the pictures on the classroom walls and the names on them, I can tell you that there is quite the mix of nationalities.

There's a Gaelscoil on Parnell Square opposite the Gate that has a huge mix of nationalities too, as do the Gaeilscoileanna several of my friends teach in in the suburbs.
    rolion wrote: »
    ALL schools, i repeat ALL schools have a catchment area to follow and to respect. ALL waiting list(s) is managed by Board of Management and there are strict rules in approving a place for kids.
    Buying a house for your future based on the school...not sure if that's right decision because a good school is made by students ... and teachers/staff/budget/area. All these factors are exposed to various external factors that you personal cannot control it !

For me, maybe lucky, but my kids went to the best school :the one around the corner of my street ! :)

Good luck.
    Regards

:confused: I am a bit confused on this one, is there any reason as to why you're all replying to posts that were made almost 4 years ago? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

There's no limit but do make sure that you contact all of the ones you don't choose to let them know so that your child's name can be taken off the list. A lot of parents don't do this and it causes unnecessary stress for other parents.

• Advertisement

I don't think there is a limit. It's crazy really, they should have one centralised system for enrollment, like the CAO for college places. Would stop all this multiple enrollment scenarios and make it easier for everyone.

The Castaheany ETS has been built a long time. It is accross the road from Barnswell. There is also a prefab in Mary Mother of Hope. It is confusing.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    :confused: I am a bit confused on this one, is there any reason as to why you're all replying to posts that were made almost 4 years ago? :)

The thread is still very relevant Pat, even though it is 4 years old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

There's no limit but do make sure that you contact all of the ones you don't choose to let them know so that your child's name can be taken off the list. A lot of parents don't do this and it causes unnecessary stress for other parents.

Have to agree. In my area there are 3 schools within walking distance and parents tend to put their child's name down in at least 2. All have different criteria (from first come first served to age& catchment area to RC& catchment area). The 3 schools now sit together prior to offering places to cover this.

Like others have said multiple registrations add to the hype about certain schools and add to the hysteria / stress. For example Educate Together is the only local school to me that will take names from birth (rest Jan on year of entry), so many first time parents put their child's name down from birth just because they can, and never accept the place when it's offered. Giving the impression of massive demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

No, Blanch West ETNS is now Hansfield ETNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

While its a topic that is likely to split opinions in terms of the private vs public education debate, I'd be interested to know if folks have any direct experience of the two private secondary schools in the immediate area - namely Castleknock College and Mount Sackville.

Has anyone sent their kids to any of these schools and if so, what what was your experience? Have you considered these schools and ruled them out for any reason - costs aside? How about the quality of the teaching, how does it compare to the alternatives?

While its a topic that is likely to split opinions in terms of the private vs public education debate, I'd be interested to know if folks have any direct experience of the two private secondary schools in the immediate area - namely Castleknock College and Mount Sackville.

Has anyone sent their kids to any of these schools and if so, what what was your experience? Have you considered these schools and ruled them out for any reason - costs aside? How about the quality of the teaching, how does it compare to the alternatives?

Good questions, I would also be interested to known if it is difficult to get into Mount Sackville

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Good questions, I would also be interested to known if it is difficult to get into Mount Sackville

My dad wanted to send me there... he didn't realise that there was a 6 year waiting list at the time though... :rolleyes:

I don't know if the waiting lists are the same now though because I started secondary in 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

January wrote: »
    because I started secondary in 2000.

I feel so old !

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ludalyni

I don't think it is. I know a person who only applied in the summer of 6th class and got in. She was placed on a waiting list but got a call a day or two later with the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Registration for Mount Sackville happens for kids when they're in 3rd class with initial preference given to it's two feeder schools, St. Brigid's Castleknock & Mount Sackville primary school.

It would be very unusual for a space to available that close 1st year., my sister did a stint on the PA and over subscription was always a big issue despite the fees.

• Advertisement

So, if a child is registered in third class but is outside the catchment area would there be any chance of a place?

Yes, if there are places following the feeder schools (always some), the other normal criteria is met and the parents want to pay the fees!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Could any poster give me an indication of fees for Mount Sackville and whether you feel what's included is value for money.

Could any poster give me an indication of fees for Mount Sackville and whether you feel what's included is value for money.

€3.5k pa as far as I recall.

€4,200 p/a and we find it very worthwhile. Parents are very much included in the running of the school, the ethos is strong and the skills of each child are nurtured.

Rosser wrote: »
    €4,200 p/a and we find it very worthwhile. Parents are very much included in the running of the school, the ethos is strong and the skills of each child are nurtured.

Are there any clubs, sports, extra skills included in the fees?

There're lots of extra curricular activities, sporting, educational and musical but as with all things there are always extras to pay!!

Take a look at their website which list a lot of what's available.

The academic results for Mount Sackville aren't great for a fee paying school though are they?

I did but it doesn't list a lot. I mean all schools have computer labs, home ec rooms and art rooms.

Maybe looking on the laptop will be better than on the phone.

So, what do the fees pay for then, if you still pay for the extra curriculars?

• Advertisement

Not sure that's exactly the case but as I mentioned earlier we are more than happy with the school and find the standard of teaching to be excellent, our girls are doing well as are their friends.

The education is rounded with a good social / moral leaning which interests me more than the obsessive points race.

If I had any concerns I'd move them.

Advertisement