Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB 24 hour internet banking.

Options
  • 16-07-2009 3:59am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

It's down every single morning from abhout 2.30 to 5.

I know these are quiet hours but FFS, what on earth could be causing them to stop the service every morning without fail?

When you try to log in it just keeps saying "Technical difficulties have occured"

This is very unprofessional by AIB and an insult to its customers.

Do BOI and Ulster Bank's internet servive have this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

jayteecork wrote: »

I know these are quiet hours but FFS, what on earth could be causing them to stop the service every morning without fail?

When you try to log in it just keeps saying "Technical difficulties have occured"

this is the time moneys put into accounts- could be wages- could be money transfer etc- and it clogs up the system

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

this is the time moneys put into accounts- could be wages- could be money transfer etc- and it clogs up the system

Ok I'm sure it makes strain to there must be some way around it other then to shut it down.

And there must be money going out all the time with laser card transactions so I cna't see how peak shopping times would be any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What??? I don't think this has anything to do with it...

AIB 21/7...

It's false advertising really :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

PM your log in details, maybe it'll work for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

AIB 21/7...

well everyone i know their wages go in between 12am- 6am including mine and my partners

so that was my reasoning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

well everyone i know their wages go in between 12am- 6am including mine and my partners

so that was my reasoning

Every single day? There is not going to be that much of a surge of information, that the system has to shut down... I wouldn't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

Is it really every single day, i only ever noticed on wednesday nights/thursday mornings, paytime!

its a logical explanation, its what i always thought. send me your details too could always do with a third opinion!

Definitely occurs every day.

And you can all have my details if you don't mind getting the password to an account that's scraping the bottom of an overdraft!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭cjbh

this used to happen to me too, but recently I've been able to login in the middle of the night with no problems

can't say it was exactly between 2:30 and 5 though...

At least the feckers could say something like "Due to money transfers our service will not be avilable from 2.30am to 5am 7 days a week"

Instead they say "Technical difficulties have occured" like we're all some kind of idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I would imagine that this is the time where they feel a minimal amount of user will be affected when they have to run Batch jobs, system roll backs, patches, upgrades and general maintenance. Any system that allowes a large amount of users to carry out secure financial transactions is going to have a large volume of maintence. IMO I'd prefer it to be down for a while for upkeep and still secure then under maintained and dodgy!

Just my 2 cents ;-)

spoofilyj wrote: »
    I would imagine that this is the time where they feel a minimal amount of user will be affected when they have to run Batch jobs, system roll backs, patches, upgrades and general maintenance. Any system that allowes a large amount of users to carry out secure financial transactions is going to have a large volume of maintence. IMO I'd prefer it to be down for a while for upkeep and still secure then under maintained and dodgy!

Just my 2 cents ;-)

Well World of Warcraft with 9 millions subscibers goes down for maintanence once a week fpr about 4 hours and all users are told of this well in advance and know when servers will be back up.

AIB just cite "technical difficulties" instead of owning up that thier service isn't in fact 24 hours.
    It annoys me that they're not honest about it.

And how many people use AIB internet banking regularly? 200-300K tops I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yep - it really is every day. Because I'm 12 hours ahead of Ireland those are the hours when I'm at work and want to check my Irish bank account. Drives me up the frigging walls. I've stopped checking at work and just wait until I get home and it's very early in the morning in Ireland. Really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

At least the feckers could say something like "Due to money transfers our service will not be avilable from 2.30am to 5am 7 days a week"

Instead they say "Technical difficulties have occured" like we're all some kind of idiot.
    What difference would it make if they tell you exactly what it is? Whether it's "Due to money transfers our service will not be avilable from 2.30am to 5am 7 days a week" or Gremlins or Y2K it's still "Technical Difficulties"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Sorry, but I just dont believe you:rolleyes:

As someone else mentioned, if you want to send me your log on codes with all the codes off your key card, I will check it out or even get some nigerian/romanian friends to double check it for you :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

Well World of Warcraft with 9 millions subscibers goes down for maintanence once a week fpr about 4 hours and all users are told of this well in advance and know when servers will be back up.

WoWs system was probably written in the last ten years. AIBs system was probably written 40 years ago :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The AIB service is for normal people though. There is probably an implicit assumption that they spend at least a few hours of the day engaged in normal social activities (or sleep) that don't involve a computer, hence the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Every single day? There is not going to be that much of a surge of information, that the system has to shut down... I wouldn't think.

You'd think wrong.

Also, all those scripts can take hours each to run, as they're dealing with large volumes of data (and the code is usually not the most efficient, but that's an aside). And there's the backups as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

AIB 21/7...

It's not, they renamed it AIB Internet Banking a long time ago, they sent a message to all their customers advising them of the change and that the system would be unavailable between ? and ? for maintenance every day.

It is what it's.

oneweb wrote: »
    It's not, they renamed it AIB Internet Banking a long time ago, they sent a message to all their customers advising them of the change and that the system would be unavailable between ? and ? for maintenance every day.

Don't recall getting word of that.
    And the phone number for banking is still 1890 242424, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's when they do the account maintenance you see on your bill. They take the money out of the safe, dust it off, make sure it's well ironed and give it a spray of perfume before putting it bank in the vault.

I can't access my account online, my password stopped working one day and they locked it and sent out new details. I never went through the sign up again but I'll have to get around to it.

They're awful pricks though, I hate banks more than anything bunch of pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

ScumLord wrote: »
    They're awful pricks though, I hate banks more than anything bunch of pricks.

More than anything - wow! Hope I'm not in the queue the day you decide to go postal :eek:

• Moderators Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Spocker

In fairness, it is on their help page:
    AIB Help wrote:
    Error message: Ref 2033

AIB aim to provide the Internet Banking service for a minimum of 20 hours daily from 7am to 3am the next morning.

Between the off-peak hours of 3am and 7am it is sometimes necessary to stop the service to facilitate system updates.

During this period, the AIB Phone Banking service is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

watna wrote: »
    Yep - it really is every day. Because I'm 12 hours ahead of Ireland those are the hours when I'm at work and want to check my Irish bank account. Drives me up the frigging walls. I've stopped checking at work and just wait until I get home and it's very early in the morning in Ireland. Really annoying.

Disgraceful really.

Why are AIB prioritizing the schedules of people in Ireland, instead of people living in New Zealand?

They should bring the whole service down for maintenance during GMT office hours instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

stovelid wrote: »
    Disgraceful really.

Why are AIB prioritizing the schedules of people in Ireland, instead of people living in New Zealand?

They should bring the whole service down for maintenance during GMT office hours instead.

Not what I meant. It's inconvenient for the site to go down every night for 4 hours. I completely understand that they need to do back-ups etc but it's a very long period of time for the site to be down every day of the week.

watna wrote: »
    Not what I meant. It's inconvenient for the site to go down every night for 4 hours. I completely understand that they need to do back-ups etc but it's a very long period of time for the site to be down every day of the week.

Wouldn't it be amazing if someone invented live backups so you didn't need to take the entire system down for hours?

I wonder how other companies get by without turning off the servers at night. I know my company manage it by clearly it's beyond AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

markpb wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be amazing if someone invented live backups so you didn't need to take the entire system down for hours?

I wonder how other companies get by without turning off the servers at night. I know my company manage it by clearly it's beyond AIB.

To be honest, people do daft things with money at the queer hours. Sometimes better to be told "No Dave - you shouldnt sleep with that prostitute"

Its like that guy JD has in Scrubs to warn him when hes about to make a "mistake"!

Dunno why hes an opera singer though... :rolleyes:

To be honest, people do daft things with money at the queer hours. Sometimes better to be told "No Dave - you shouldnt sleep with that prostitute"

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I dunno why they do this.
    We all know WoW users arnt people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

markpb wrote: »

Unless your company is a bank, your comparison is worthless.

Advertisement