Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

09-06-2009, 17:20   #1
superfear

tail docking

I have been in touch with my vet to book an appointment to dock my pups. he has told me that this for him to do is illegal and a very sore subject at the mo. What do i do?
Advertisement
09-06-2009, 17:23   #2
harryR

oh dear why do you want to dock the pups tails...?
09-06-2009, 17:25   #3

Unless the pup had an injured tail in need of surgery, you leave it alone.

Why do you want to dock it?
09-06-2009, 17:29   #4
westwicklow

What breed is it?
09-06-2009, 17:36   #5
Gordon Gekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfear View Post
I have been in touch with my vet to book an appointment to dock my pups. he has told me that this for him to do is illegal and a very sore subject at the mo. What do i do?
Eh, how about not breaking the law by abusing helpless animals?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-06-2009, 17:55   #6
jen_23

Yip I think that has been illegal for some years now OP.
Why would you want to dock them? It would be harder to sell the pups (if that's what your doing) with docked tails as it's also immoral.
Best to leave them wagging their tails
09-06-2009, 18:03   #7
kazza90210

Its not illegal, but is not encouraged by the veterinary council and vets can face disaplincery action if they perform dockings.
09-06-2009, 18:06   #8
fionav3

Nicely put, Jen23, why would anyone want to dock a dog's lovely wagging tail? There is no medical requirement for it and it's something done purely to 'improve' the dog asthetically (but who are we to change what nature gave to dogs?).

Look on the bright side Superfear, at least you know you have a good vet. There are some immoral vets out there who will dog a dogs tail, no questions asked, but a vet who genuinely cares about an animal's welfare won't do this.
Thanks from:
09-06-2009, 18:11   #9
EastTyrone

if it is a working dog the tail should be docked or else it will suffer unneccessary pain, how ever since you have this in the pets section i take it that the pups will not be working so no need 2!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-06-2009, 19:12   #10
Gordon Gekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTyrone View Post
if it is a working dog the tail should be docked or else it will suffer unneccessary pain, how ever since you have this in the pets section i take it that the pups will not be working so no need 2!
Please explain.
09-06-2009, 19:19   #11
cloudy day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post
Eh, how about not breaking the law by abusing helpless animals?
It's not illegal in Ireland. Most vets won't do it on grounds of morality, "mutilation for aesthetic reasons" is what they call it.
09-06-2009, 19:20   #12
fatmammycat

Ridiculous, hunters work with Labs, setters, fox hounds, various breeds of flushing dogs without having to slice the animal's tail off. Complete outdated nonsense. I've seen labs swim through ice- cutting themselves to ribbons in the process- after duck and no one suggests slicing pieces off their chests. I've seen fox hounds covered in muck and blood and cuts and scrapes and no one offers to take a piece off their ears or any other part of their body. Complete poo. There is no genuine reason to lop pieces off a healthy dog except to gain a certain 'look'.
Thanks from:
09-06-2009, 19:22   #13
EastTyrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post
Please explain.
well, take the english springer spaniel for instance, it is a very hard working dog, it will go into thorn bushes etc to flush pheasants, if it has a full tail, the tail gets caught causing the dog pain, the dog then gets it very badly cut causing more pain. As it is in the field it will get dirt into it causing infection YET more pain, then gang green comes into it and MORE pain, if you get me?
09-06-2009, 19:22   #14
cloudy day

This discussion has been up before.

I will say this, I was talking to a man recently about his boxer, very hyper, and she is forever bashing it off stuff in the house and busting up her tail.

What breed is your dog.
09-06-2009, 19:28   #15
fatmammycat

Lots of dogs are hyper and bash their tails, so what, you don't just cut them off. My father's collies were nuts and used to sweep cups and god knows what else off coffee tables, but he didn't get out the lamb rings to sort it out.
Retrievers are flushing dogs and have full tails, a lot of gun and field dogs have full tails. Docking is completely for look.
Forum Closed