Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-03-2008, 18:44   #1
MrJoeSoap

Joe Canning

Been mentioned in a couple of other threads already but a phenomenon like this needs a thread of its own.

CV:
  • All-Ireland Minor winner at age 15 in 2004 against Kilkenny, scoring 0-4 (including two line balls)
  • All-Ireland Minor winner at age 16 in 2005 against Limerick, scoring 1-3
  • All-Ireland Senior club winner at age 17 in 2006, won the Man of the Match award, scored 1-6 and created the second goal.
  • Winner of the Fitzgibbon Cup in 2007, scoring 1-08 and getting the Man of the Match award.
  • All-Ireland U-21 Medal in 2007, at age 18.
  • Runner-up in the 2008 Fitzgibbon Cup, having scored 1-16 in the final alone.
Match Reports (Taken from the Indo):

Aug 16th, 2004 (1-1) - Wade waltzes his way past rebel rearguard

Sep 20th, 2004 (0-4) - Galway glee as minors turn on style in epic final

Oct 18th, 2004 (0-05) - Teen star enjoys free reign

Nov 1st, 2004 (0-02) - Athenrys final flash of steel reserves is crucial

Aug 15th, 2005 (1-06) - Galway add to Rebels minor misery

Sep 12th, 2005 (1-03) - Canning puts on a show

Oct 17th, 2005 (0-12) - Canning inspires Portumna

Nov 14th, 2005 (1-11) - Canning and Hayes just too hot to handle

Nov 21st, 2005 (1-09) - All one-way traffic as Portumna block off Four Roads

Mar 18th, 2006 (1-06) - Canning duo lift Portumna

July 24th, 2006 (1-02) - Keehan and Canning the difference for Tribesmen

Aug 20th, 2006 (2-04 as sub) - Canning scares Cats

Sep 25th, 2006 (1-08) - Canning crushes Clarinbridge as Athenry crash out

Oct 9th, 2006 (1-11) - Canning powers Portumna into final

Oct 23rd, 2006 (0-07) - All-Ireland champs fall foul of Loughrea miracle in fiery final

Jan 15th, 2007 (1-05) - Slick LIT inspired by Canning display

Feb 16th, 2007 (1-09) - Super Canning gives Galway a glimpse of what they're missing

Feb 28th, 2007 (2-08) - Canning puts on scoring exhibition to destroy UCD

Mar 8th, 2007 (1-08) - Canning points lift LIT to cup title

Aug 27th, 2007 (0-07) - Canning inspires Galway to victory

Sep 10th, 2007 (0-03) - Galway glee as goal glut kills off groggy Dublin

Sep 24th, 2007 (0-08) - Portumna on brink of glory again

Oct 22nd, 2007 (3-04) - Goals give Portumna closure out of storm

Dec 10th, 2007 (1-04 as sub) - Canning jets LIT to victory in blustery final

Jan 14th, 2008 (1-07) - Davy Fitz's charges teach Clare a dear lesson

Jan 21st, 2008 (1-06) - Decies hold off late rally to book final place

Feb 28th, 2008 (1-09) - Classy Canning key to Portumna march

Mar 1st, 2008 (2-04) - Canning key as LIT dominate to make decider

Mar 2nd, 2008 (1-16) - Reid is the hero for WIT

Articles:

March 2006 - So far, so brilliant for kid who is future of Hurling

May 2007 - Canning claims All-Ireland is beyond Loughnane this year

September 2007 - Canning class to quench fire of resurgent Dublin

October 2007 - Canning In Line For Seniors

February 2008 - Canning the key in LIT chase for glory

Videos:

Still only 19...

Seems to be a completely grounded, normal 19 year old student with an incredible talent. I don't say this lightly at all but this guy could go on to be one of the best ever. With a very talented young nucleus of team on the verge of breaking through in Galway, big things could be on the horizon for Galway hurling.
Advertisement
04-03-2008, 18:57   #2
FatherTed

Scored 4 points from sideline cuts on Sunday.
04-03-2008, 20:12   #3
betonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherTed View Post
Scored 4 points from sideline cuts on Sunday.
feckin hell
05-03-2008, 08:34   #4
hawkwing

4 sidelines is brilliant, but of 1-16 only 2 was from play and this included 2 periods of extra time, also the goal was mi**** which should not have gone in so it wasn't nearly as good a display as it looks on paper. WIT's freetaker got a big score too, eoin reid 1-05 from play is a better show in my opinion than canning's??
05-03-2008, 08:41   #5
gucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwing View Post
4 sidelines is brilliant, but of 1-16 only 2 was from play and this included 2 periods of extra time, also the goal was mi**** which should not have gone in so it wasn't nearly as good a display as it looks on paper.
In fairness 1-16 in a final regardless of how many from frees and including extra time isnt a bad return!! Plenty of players might have been presented with the same number of opportunities and not had the same return.
Advertisement
05-03-2008, 08:52   #6
Sherifu

He's a lovely little hurler. Seen him play a few times, his cuts are unreal.
05-03-2008, 23:02   #7
aidan24326

Quote:
4 sidelines is brilliant, but of 1-16 only 2 was from play and this included 2 periods of extra time, also the goal was mi**** which should not have gone in so it wasn't nearly as good a display as it looks on paper. WIT's freetaker got a big score too, eoin reid 1-05 from play is a better show in my opinion than canning's??
1-9 from frees. 0-4 from sidelines. 0-2 from play and 0-1 from a 65. Not a bad day's work I'd say. He does get plenty of scores from play aswell as being a brilliant freetaker. And when last did you see a player score 4 sideline cuts in one game?

I may be biased being a Galwayman but I'm not one for getting carried away about our young players as we've had too many good underage hurlers who never lived up to their reputation at senior level. That said I'm finding it hard not to be excited about this lad. He's a rare talent.

He's already proved he can handle himself against senior players. In the 2006 club final, at age 17, the Newtownshandrum lads pulled and dragged and hit him at every opportunity and he still finished up with 1-6 (out of 2-8) and a man of the match award. In fact Pat Mulcahy (I think it was) got sent off eventually for persistent fouling on Canning.

An Citeoig mentioned in another thread that he is carrying a bit of weight and that's something he needs to watch. Loughnane actually commented last year, when asked about Canning joing the senior panel, that Joe was nowhere near the required fitness level for county senior. That fitness will surely come if and when Gerlock gets his hands on him. I'm really hopeful that this lad can be a big star for us in the years to come.
05-03-2008, 23:18   #8
UnitedIrishman

As an outsider, a relatively young one at that, I don't think I've ever seen a better young player. He is a phenomenal talent and I think he really made Loughnane eat his words about not being built enough for senior hurling after he was kicked and hit and everything else in that final against Athenry a couple of years ago.

I hope he doesn't get an injury of any sort that would hinder him because he is something special I think.
06-03-2008, 16:17   #9
megadodge

Quote:
after he was kicked and hit and everything else in that final against Athenry a couple of years ago.
Did you mean Loughrea ?
Advertisement
06-03-2008, 20:48   #10
CyberDave

This guy really is special. He has come in for some rough treatment from oppositon, but he is so good it's the only way he can be stopped. He is overweight slighly and speed isn't one of his strengths. Despite his score in the Fitzgibbon Cup he was bottled up quiet well on a few occasions in open play. Having said that he is flawless in every other aspect of the game. Being a Galwayman, I am looking forward to seeing him line out this year for Galway (preferably at full-forward). I really think he can help deliver a couple of long awaited Liam McCarthys west of the Shannon. It's well time to end Kilkenny's reign. He isn't invincible as Tipp proved in the 2006 Minor final. He is very similar to Eugene Cloonan when he first broke on the scene back in 1997. Cloonan has now ended his career without an intercounty all-ireland senior medal, a terrible shame. I hope the same doesn't happen to this guy.
06-03-2008, 20:52   #11
CyberDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadodge View Post
Did you mean Loughrea ?
The final he was abused in was against Loughrea. However, in a way I think it was a valuable lesson for him as a young player and has helped him to become better at dealing with this type of abuse in the game. He will see a lot of similar treatment because he is so talented, it's the only way the oppositon can stifle him.
07-03-2008, 01:05   #12
GAAman

Now i am not much of a hurlin man but credit where its due this lad is one of the greats and best about it is he has alot more of the same ahead to enjoy please god
07-03-2008, 09:07   #13
hawkwing

Hope Canning turns out to be a star, GAA needs them. Reminds me of the lad below whose scoring in both codes will hardly be equalled,one example :

"Tipperary take control as stunning individual display by Declan Browne wipes out Waterford
GAA

by John Murphy
Tipperary 4 17 Waterford 3 9
THE sheer artistry of football All Star Declan Browne illuminated this extraordinary first round Munster Intermediate Hurling Championship game at Pairc Uí Chaoimh yesterday.
A Tipperary victory looked an out and out improbability when they trailed a rampant Deise opposition by 11 points - 2 6 to 0 1 after just 11 minutes. Waterford were totally dominant and looked so superior that a facile win was on the cards for them.
Then enter Declan Browne with one of the most outstanding individual displays this or any other venue has witnessed in many a year. He unerringly pointed four frees between the 12th and 22nd minutes before he unleashed an incredible goal blitz that saw him crashing the ball to the Waterford net three times in as many minutes. The first, in the 25th minute, was set up for him by the industrious Ray Killeen. The second a minute later, saw an impressive Colm Morrissey in the role of provider, and the third inside another 60 seconds was all down to the class and silken skills of this rare dual talent.
Browne’s hat trick enabled Tipp to go in at the half time break leading by two points, 3 7 to 2 8, against all the earlier odds, and with the stiff breeze backing them on the turnover, they were firmly in the driving seat. It was Waterford, however, who made the better second half start and they regained the lead when their top forward, Sean Daly, set up Stephen Cunningham for a peach of a goal.
Tipp levelled within a minute with a Pat Maguire point and once Morrissey edged them back in front, they were never subsequently headed.
Browne, brilliant in everything he did, rifled over a brace of points that were sandwiched between his and Tipp’s fourth goal. It was a pure gem as he ghosted past Alan Kirwan, who had earlier replaced the hapless Niall O’Donnell, and planted the ball in the corner of the net.
His final point in the 59th minute was another marvellous score and it capped a virtuoso performance which yielded Browne a personal tally of 4 12.
The game ended on a sour and controversial note when Waterford goalkeeper, Alan Robinson was dismissed for a strong challenge on Maguire which forced the full forward’s substitution. It was the final nail in Waterford’s coffin.
Scorers, Tipperary; D. Browne 4 12, C. Morrissey 0 3, P. Maguire, S. O’Meara 0 1 each.
Scorers, Waterford; S. Daly 1 1, S. Barron 1 1, S. Cunningham 1 0, B. Hannon 0 3, J. Fitzgerald, B. Henley, A. Fitzgerald 0 1 each.
TIPPERARY: S. Butler, T. Hogan, M. Ryan, M. Gleeson, D. Keogh, D. Hackett, D. Gleeson, S. Maher, J. Teehan, S. O’Meara, C. Morrissey, D. Corcoran, R. Killeen, P. Maguire, D. Browne. Subs; M. Spillane for Teehan, E. Ryan for O’Meara, P. O’Dwyer for Maguire.
WATERFORD: A. Robinson, N. O’Donnell, G. Harris, J. O’Donovan, J. Coffey, L. Dalton, B. Wall, G. Power, S. Barron, S. Cunningham, B. Henley, P. Prendergast, B. Hannon, S. Daly, A. Fitzgerald. Subs; A. Kirwan for O’Donnell, J. Fitzgerald for Power, T. Curran for A. Fitzgerald.
Referee: John Sexton (Limerick). "
07-03-2008, 19:51   #14
CyberDave

Quote:
Hope Canning turns out to be a star, GAA needs them. Reminds me of the lad below whose scoring in both codes will hardly be equalled,one example :

"Tipperary take control as stunning individual display by Declan Browne wipes out Waterford
GAA

by John Murphy
Tipperary 4 17 Waterford 3 9
THE sheer artistry of football All Star Declan Browne illuminated this extraordinary first round Munster Intermediate Hurling Championship game at Pairc Uí Chaoimh yesterday.
A Tipperary victory looked an out and out improbability when they trailed a rampant Deise opposition by 11 points - 2 6 to 0 1 after just 11 minutes. Waterford were totally dominant and looked so superior that a facile win was on the cards for them.
Then enter Declan Browne with one of the most outstanding individual displays this or any other venue has witnessed in many a year. He unerringly pointed four frees between the 12th and 22nd minutes before he unleashed an incredible goal blitz that saw him crashing the ball to the Waterford net three times in as many minutes. The first, in the 25th minute, was set up for him by the industrious Ray Killeen. The second a minute later, saw an impressive Colm Morrissey in the role of provider, and the third inside another 60 seconds was all down to the class and silken skills of this rare dual talent.
Browne’s hat trick enabled Tipp to go in at the half time break leading by two points, 3 7 to 2 8, against all the earlier odds, and with the stiff breeze backing them on the turnover, they were firmly in the driving seat. It was Waterford, however, who made the better second half start and they regained the lead when their top forward, Sean Daly, set up Stephen Cunningham for a peach of a goal.
Tipp levelled within a minute with a Pat Maguire point and once Morrissey edged them back in front, they were never subsequently headed.
Browne, brilliant in everything he did, rifled over a brace of points that were sandwiched between his and Tipp’s fourth goal. It was a pure gem as he ghosted past Alan Kirwan, who had earlier replaced the hapless Niall O’Donnell, and planted the ball in the corner of the net.
His final point in the 59th minute was another marvellous score and it capped a virtuoso performance which yielded Browne a personal tally of 4 12.
The game ended on a sour and controversial note when Waterford goalkeeper, Alan Robinson was dismissed for a strong challenge on Maguire which forced the full forward’s substitution. It was the final nail in Waterford’s coffin.
Scorers, Tipperary; D. Browne 4 12, C. Morrissey 0 3, P. Maguire, S. O’Meara 0 1 each.
Scorers, Waterford; S. Daly 1 1, S. Barron 1 1, S. Cunningham 1 0, B. Hannon 0 3, J. Fitzgerald, B. Henley, A. Fitzgerald 0 1 each.
TIPPERARY: S. Butler, T. Hogan, M. Ryan, M. Gleeson, D. Keogh, D. Hackett, D. Gleeson, S. Maher, J. Teehan, S. O’Meara, C. Morrissey, D. Corcoran, R. Killeen, P. Maguire, D. Browne. Subs; M. Spillane for Teehan, E. Ryan for O’Meara, P. O’Dwyer for Maguire.
WATERFORD: A. Robinson, N. O’Donnell, G. Harris, J. O’Donovan, J. Coffey, L. Dalton, B. Wall, G. Power, S. Barron, S. Cunningham, B. Henley, P. Prendergast, B. Hannon, S. Daly, A. Fitzgerald. Subs; A. Kirwan for O’Donnell, J. Fitzgerald for Power, T. Curran for A. Fitzgerald.
Referee: John Sexton (Limerick). "
How is it that Browne never turned out for the Tipp seniors?
08-03-2008, 00:14   #15
aidan24326

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDave View Post
How is it that Browne never turned out for the Tipp seniors?
Often wondered that myself. He was surely good enough. Even at intermediate level 4-12 is a phenomenal score.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion