Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Canning

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

culabula88 wrote: »
    personally i think ollie canning isnt up to it any more and his final years with galway definately wasnt the olllie of old.

I have to disagree stongly. There was nothing wrong with his final years with Galway !!

And who got Man of the Match in the Club Final ? Ollie Canning.

He looked as good and sharp that day as any I've seen him and I rate him as the best corner back / man marker I've ever seen in hurling. Even if he isn't as good as he was (which I disagree with) his 90% is still better than virtually any other back in the country.

With regard to Joe, will people realise that he's a BIG man. And no, 'big' doesn't mean 'fat' !! He's a very well-built and as he proved Sunday, exceptionally strong young man. He's never going to be fast, but his incredible touch, skill, brain, confidence, brute strength combined with excellent balance are going to make up for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

megadodge wrote: »
    I have to disagree stongly. There was nothing wrong with his final years with Galway !!

And who got Man of the Match in the Club Final ? Ollie Canning.

He looked as good and sharp that day as any I've seen him and I rate him as the best corner back / man marker I've ever seen in hurling. Even if he isn't as good as he was (which I disagree with) his 90% is still better than virtually any other back in the country.

With regard to Joe, will people realise that he's a BIG man. And no, 'big' doesn't mean 'fat' !! He's a very well-built and as he proved Sunday, exceptionally strong young man. He's never going to be fast, but his incredible touch, skill, brain, confidence, brute strength combined with excellent balance are going to make up for that.

I would like to see Ollie Canning back alright- he was a class hurler and good corner back, but I thought that in his final few years with the county he was showed up for pace. hurling in the Club All Ireland will be very different than county standard. Personally andrew smith, i thought should have got man of the match that day.- I think loughnane might move Canning to corner and kavanagh to full back and moore in the other corner.

I think loughnane should give smith and eoin lynch a chance.there should be enough hurlers now to at least get to an all ireland.Jury is still out on Loughnane but team is developing nicely.Will he have to eat his words of "if i dont deliver an all ireland in two years , i will be a failure"

Lane was manager from 2002 to 2006. Remember the defeats that KK gave galway in both 2004 and 2006 - Galway were bet out the gate. what did they achieve in 2002 or 2003?
    I still think the team he had at the time could have achieved something if the right man was in charge.I never had much faith in him. If Fergal Moore didnt go off injured at half time last year against KK, then galway could have been in an All Ireland. Wheres David collins is he still injured?

I think Galway should definately go into one of the provincial championships. Granted they didnt have much success when they played in Munster back the 60s but now would get plenty of matches and would be on an equal footing like cork and tipp -they could also fully avail of the back door. Maybe put them into Leinster championship instead, but its definately has its benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Archebald

ok oki think we should all calm down abit about joe canning,,,
    yes he is a class hurler but shur lets just get over it and move on,,we dont want him to be so over hyped at such a young age like ,,,,,
    there is also other really good hurlers out there too,,,not meaning to take away from the fact that he is brill or anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Archebald wrote: »
    ok oki think we should all calm down abit about joe canning,,,
    yes he is a class hurler but shur lets just get over it and move on,,we dont want him to be so over hyped at such a young age like ,,,,,
    there is also other really good hurlers out there too,,,not meaning to take away from the fact that he is brill or anything :D

Spoken like a true Corkonian!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

but I thought that in his final few years with the county he was showed up for pace

I find that a strange comment, as besides his excellent reading of the game I always regarded his speed as his biggest asset.

I don't remember any game where it was shown up.

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    I find that a strange comment, as besides his excellent reading of the game I always regarded his speed as his biggest asset.

I don't remember any game where it was shown up.

It's an easy comment to throw into a conversation about an older player when you are looking to denigrate him, but as you say, pace isn't a weak point for him at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭leiwand

howya,
    does anyone know if david collins is back training with the panel yet?his return will be a big boost
    b.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Collins out a fair while, still limping big style

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

Collins is sadly missed. He should be back in time for the big games though (if we get any). Cloonan has been called back on to the panel as well now and Ollie Canning has been made captain. Good call on the captaincy, but I don't know about the Cloonan recall? He is lacking in the pace needed for the top flight. He might be effective as an impact sub though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭leiwand

was in galway for weekend and heard from reliable source close to collins that he's out for the whole season! he's been advised not to return this year.big loss
    b.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Joe Canning scored 3-4 in a challenge match against Clare at the weekend but Galway still lost by 4-13 to 1-25.

Cloonan mightn't have the legs for 70 minutes but not a bad player to have on the bench all the same.

3-4 ain't bad going at all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    3-4 ain't bad going at all. ;)

It's a decent return alright, especially since he hasn't been handed freetaking duties yet, though I feel it's surely only a matter of time before he is. We're a bit spoiled for choice with freetakers though. Ger Farragher is a top class freetaker and Kerril Wade is also very reliable, while Niall Healy takes them for his club team and regularly clocks up big scores. So Joe might have to wait a while.

Probably for the best to let him concentrate on one aspect of his game for starters anyway, though I don't think I've ever seen a cooler free-taker than Joe. I've no doubt he'll be on the sideline cuts anyway!

Advertisement