Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Sit-com on RTE TWO?????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm not too sure about it. The trailer doesn't exactly make it look any better than the English Class, but I live in hope that good Irish comedy shows will see the light of day. I'm giving it one chance and that's it. I'm tired of wasting my precious time on watching multiple episodes of ****e in the hope that it'll get funnier. But then again, I've nothing better to do with my pitiful life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I think the guy that made the show posted in the fas girl thread in after hours. I'll give it a go, it should be better than the english class anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Not holding out much hope for this at all but might give it a try all the same... I wonder why they went for a 'A Clockwork Orange' homage for the trailer...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

"The show's going to be packed with action," Steven promises. "In the pilot, for example, you'll find four main storylines for each of the leading characters, but there's also about a dozen smaller storylines, including a wacky German in underpants and a sexy goth lady called Vixen. And one of the characters will reveal superhuman powers.
    Oh.. the hilarity! :rolleyes:

I'll probably give it a miss..!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

While its nearly 10 years old I just feel the need to mention "Paths to Freedom".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Exactly, it has been 10 years since RTE produced probably their only funny TV series. What hope has this new show got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If they are highlighting a German in underpants as one of the things to see on this then I am not going to bother.

Exactly, it has been 10 years since RTE produced probably their only funny TV series. What hope has this new show got?

Well we still go on about the cassidy's, upwardly mobile and Mrs. O'Brien which all predate Paths to Freedom.

I will give it a chance, I wouldn't have mentioned the german if I was trying to promote.

Also Apres Match.

Even though I don't like Soupy Norman I did laugh at The Late Late Tribute Show.

However I will wait to defend/completely slaughter this show. I will tune into the first episode. It's worrying that they have put it on so late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Suppose I'll give it a go but RTE don't seem to have that much confidence in it. Not much advertising and only 2 episodes. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is up for debate

Elmo wrote: »
    Well we still go on about the cassidy's, upwardly mobile and Mrs. O'Brien which all predate Paths to Freedom.
    You're trying to defend RTE by mentioning Upwardly Mobile?

:eek:

• Advertisement

You're trying to defend RTE by mentioning Upwardly Mobile?

Sorry what I was suggesting was that we all go on about how bad Upwardly Mobile was yet it pre dates Paths to Freedom.
    Suppose I'll give it a go but RTE don't seem to have that much confidence in it. Not much advertising and only 2 episodes. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is up for debate

It's good to see them piloting a series before marketing as the best thing since slide bread e.g. that show I refuse to mention but you all know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mr Stubbs

The Roaring Twenties starts tonight at 10:50.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/theroaringtwenties/index.html

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/features/can-rtes-new--comedy-duo-put-a-smile-on-our-face-1259275.html

It is good to see them give some new talent a chance.

I hope that it works out for them.

Thanks Elmo,

We did our best considering the budget, time, and creative restraints -- which we quickly realised were part of the game. I await your comments with interest (or dread?).

Also check out www.bebo.com/theroaring20s

I'll book my one way flight to Baghdad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr Stubbs,

I'm guessing by your nick that you are Steven Stubbs (co-director).

I wish you the best of luck with the show to be perfectly honest. You can take my cynicism (my comment above) with a pinch of salt.. but RTÉ's track record with comedy has not been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I think The Cassidys came after Paths to Freedom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I reckon I'll give it a go, hell it can't be any worse than I dare ya....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'll be tuning in anyway.... Going in with low expectations and hoping for a pleasant surprise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Amz wrote: »
    While its nearly 10 years old I just feel the need to mention "Paths to Freedom".

Sorry, but I must credit RTE on one comedy show that was quality. Dan and Becs is in my opinion, an exception to the usual crap that RTE call comedy.

Dan and Becs can be very hit and miss, it's very samey in my opinion and if you've read Ross O'Carroll Kelly you know most of the jokes already. It is one of the better things to be commissioned though.

I think The Cassidys came after Paths to Freedom?

I think PTF was a year before TC. I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

30 seconds in . . . . . . . . . . . . . garbage I mean utter sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

ahhh more car crash tv.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

What a load of b0llox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

It's pretty bad alright.
    EDIT: It's horrifically unfunny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

Its actually embarrassing to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not good at all. Lots of aimless ramblings and the narrator is just plain annoying.

EDIT: Absolutely appalling. Can watch no more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

narrator is ****e allright...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sweep baby jesus..........how? HOW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Boardsbud

The talentless Oliver Carroll, irritating on WLRFM with his Wogan wannabee ramblings, now he's infesting the TV with his phoney New Ross New Ross accent.

I know they've got to set up the characters but this is pathetic. Introduce them through the story, I'm totally confused being bombarded with them all at the top of the show. Its total rubbish. Where's the comedy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The ads are on now... relief!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

Does nobody have to sign off on these shows before they are put on the air?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement