Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Sit-com on RTE TWO?????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pebblesjm

hot fuss wrote: »
    I think you'll find that the makers of the Roaring Twenties are indeed 'new talent' and the actors in it haven't been seen much before, so you can't say this is a case of not supporting new talent.

I think you and I would disagree on what constitutes talent ;) I do know however, that better qualified young writers and directors are being turned down because they are asking for more money than RTE, which is renowned may I add for nepotism, are prepared to INVEST.And investing in talent is what they should be doing. And as some kinder soul have suggested perhaps they can help the team behind Roaring twenties to re-work their show, but in my opinion what was on last night was too raw and under developed to warrant an airing on national tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Portia

Elmo wrote: »
    Setanta that is how a pilot show works. They do it all the time in the USA.

Who else in Ireland is there? TV3?

Are you serious? It's a production company that brings the show to RTE for funding. I'd imagine the script/ pilot DVD was sent around to the numerous companies and rejected before the monkeys at RTE gave them €100,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'll be honest here, it wasn't as bad as the english class, but it was terrible. There were some genuinely funny bits (I actually laughed out loud at the four goths when they came to the door) but overall it wasn't worth watching.

I'd say it's biggest fault is the so called 'actors' (especially the gay guy and the country guy - dire) and if someone decent was used it would have been 10X more watchable.

Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 chadjared

When i heard that rte were putting out this sitcom, with that budget, with those press release pictures, with that bunch of nobs, it felt like someone took a shhhhh it in my stomache. I wasnt going to post anything about how terrible the show was because the last time i got the english class thread shut down. But when i saw the show and stubbsie had already posted i just wanted to air my disgust. I Hate You Stubbsie.

The show was horrible and pathetic, and i beg you all not to unleash any of the tips or obvious secrets on how to make a this show not shhhh it. Stubbsie is already after recieving a ridiculous amount of money to make this and it would make me sick to the core to see him or stubbsies buddy profit further this monstrosity. I beg you all to email rte and let them know its crap and you deserve more. If you have suggestions write your own sitcom. it doesnt cost 100k to make half an hour of self indulgent bull shhh it and these college kids should of known that.

Ps quirky country loud mouths are never funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 chadjared

oh and being funnier than the english class is not a compliment.

You made the pannel look funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dub6Kevin

Congratulations
    In classic Irish style, **** the begrudgers.

You showed some ambition and have the potential to go further. So the first episode wasn't as good as you expected but FFS, what do people expect? This isn't like Britain where young writers can develop their craft on BBC funded courses and hone their skills on radio programmes or the US where massive teams work on scripts.

I for one admire your balls (not literally. I mean, I'm not saying they're not admirable - in fact I'm sure they are, just that I've not seen them and am not really in the business of literally admiring the testicles of other men. Glad we cleared that up).

Anyway, Mr Stubbs, how did you get going? I'd love to write for TV myself but don't know where to start.

Cheers

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭AngelinaJolie

chadjared wrote: »
    When i heard that rte were putting out this sitcom, with that budget, with those press release pictures, with that bunch of nobs, it felt like someone took a shhhhh it in my stomache. I wasnt going to post anything about how terrible the show was because the last time i got the english class thread shut down. But when i saw the show and stubbsie had already posted i just wanted to air my disgust. I Hate You Stubbsie.

The show was horrible and pathetic, and i beg you all not to unleash any of the tips or obvious secrets on how to make a this show not shhhh it. Stubbsie is already after recieving a ridiculous amount of money to make this and it would make me sick to the core to see him or stubbsies buddy profit further this monstrosity. I beg you all to email rte and let them know its crap and you deserve more. If you have suggestions write your own sitcom. it doesnt cost 100k to make half an hour of self indulgent bull shhh it and these college kids should of known that.

I really don't think you know what you are talking about... but then, you've never made a sit-com. Or have you? If so, I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 B1GJH

The Yawning Twenties....Seriously, how on earth does this type of show get on the air?! Especially at a production cost of over €100,000!(I don't know too much about the industry so if any can tell me how this cost 100k i would be greatful) RTE need to get their "act" together and air some good comedy. For example TV3 (stop dissing it) showed "Arrested Development" years ago, one of the greatest comedies ever. Why can't RTE do the same or at least do test screenings of their shows before airing them?:confused:.....On the bright side of things, this show has inspired me....to start writing sitcoms for RTE cause if no one else is prepared to do a good job, I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

For example TV3 showed "Arrested Development" years ago, one of the greatest comedies ever.

Don't congradulate TV3 for buying in a TV show.

Yes AD is excellent but TV3 didn't have anything to do with the production.

TV3 where fortunate to be able to buy the show because it was in the Fireworks set of international shows, TV3 had a deal with Fireworks due to there owner Canwest.

And it is for this reason that TV3 get 1 or 2 good shows from the US, not because the outbid RTE but because it was easier to take a cheap package from their owner.

TG Canwest has left TV3 lets hope Dogherty Hanson can do something more constructive, but it does look like they do anything but line their own pockets with huge advertising revenues got on the backs of ITV Soap operas and Reality shows.

Sorry rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

... because the last time i got the english class thread shut down. But when i saw the show and stubbsie had already posted i just wanted to air my disgust. I Hate You Stubbsie.

The show was horrible and pathetic...

And with a bile-filled sh*t-stirring post like that, you want this thread to suffer the same fate? Go away.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There has been negative and positive feedback in this thread, and I think Mr. Stubbs, Angelina and anyone else associated with the show appreciate any feedback (positive or otherwise).

Give it a chance. We need to nurture our homegrown talent, and give constructive criticism, not jump on the "OMG its shiiiiit" bandwagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

Mr E, if people think its sh it they're entitled to say so! Its not a bandwangon its public opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Mr E, if people think its sh it they're entitled to say so! Its not a bandwangon its public opinion

That's fine but when you state the following for no real reason you are just plain hateful, and really is not necessary.
    I Hate You Stubbsie.

Take a look back at his rants about the English Class. It only a TV show for gods sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

You obviously know Steven personally and 'hate' him therefore your opinion of the show doesn't really carry any weight. You weren't going to like it anyway were you?

Steven well done and congratulations for getting your pilot on air. I know how hard you've worked over the years on your writing. You also got a short film on RTE before. Good for you! Take on board the criticsism and learn from it which I know you will. And keep going. That voiceover was very annoying! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Mr Stubbs wrote: »
    But at least I'm awake here at 3.44am trying to give some feedback

Thats your problem mate. Your just to close. I think it's a little unfair all the slack you've been taking. You didnt force RTE to air it.
    Someone in RTE made a concious descion to air the show. What I was last night was a absolute mess. It should never of aired. Someone in RTE gave you 100 grand and fvcked off. It should of been almost clear from the onset that the show wasnt working. But you had no one removed from the project, who could look at it subjectily. RTE screewed you over mate. Ill be tuning in next week. Hopefully it will improve. If not, and RTE havent tainted you to much best of luck on your next project.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Thats your problem mate. Your just to close. I think it's a little unfair all the slack you've been taking. You didnt force RTE to air it.
    Someone in RTE made a concious descion to air the show. What I was last night was a absolute mess. It should never of aired. Someone in RTE gave you 100 grand and fvcked off. It should of been almost clear from the onset that the show wasnt working. But you had no one removed from the project, who could look at it subjectily. RTE screewed you over mate. Ill be tuning in next week. Hopefully it will improve. If not, and RTE havent tainted you to much best of luck on your next project.

Whoa- RTE didn't write this mess, or direct it, or employ useless actors. It's not RTE's fault it was bile. They are just lazy patronage.

No your right they didnt, and I agree it's a absolute mess. But someone in RTE thought fit to air it. Instead of retooling it or binning it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

If everyone was to listen to peoples complaints against shows, then I would never have watched:

Family Guy

Lizzy Maguire

Drake and Josh

The War at Home

Quintuplets

My Wife and Kids

CSI

I listen to people and their opinion on tv with a pinch of salt. People, like with film feel to need to display a sort of snobbiness when it comes to tv. I missed the episode but hopefully I can catch a repeat, but I bet the show was not that bad.

Just watch it. Comparing it to that list is like asking for steak at a sushi bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Can someone make a list in point form of what was bad about the show, and when I watch it I can see if I understand where the people who have a negative view on it are coming from.

Acting
    Direction
    Script
    Tracking
    Humour

Try that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I saw dead bodies over on the beeb a little later on http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0349340/ so it wasn't a total waste of TV viewing.

Anyway what did anyone think were the funniest bits ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

I went into watching this show with an open mind and hoping that RTE would surprise me with a funny, fresh homegrown sitcom. Yet again, I was disapointed although not surprised. Virtually everything about the show was awful. The show seems to have gathered an absolutely terrible bunch of 'actors' to play a group of annoying, dull charaters that cannot be related to on any level (the most annoying hands down being the guy who pretended his mother was dead).The narrater's overbearing voice being used every 5 seconds didnt help either, his presence only being to introduce the characters and situations; Better writing would have introduced things to the audience, and not make us feel like retards. Granted though, it was no english class, but it will be easily forgotten the second after its final episode. Im not an expert on the production of sitcoms, but its my understanding that before the final product is produced, the writers or whoever would have a read through their work among collegues in order to see if it strikes a funny cord with people. Why does this sort of quality control happen during the production of Irish tv programs?

I saw dead bodies over on the beeb a little later on http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0349340/ so it wasn't a total waste of TV viewing.

Anyway what did anyone think were the funniest bits ?

Anyone thinking they would have a career after it came out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Without wanting to stray OT (again), I watched that too....good show. But it suffered from the usual Irish film/drama trait, that being: different show, same actors. It's the one thing that pisses me off about anything that's well done in Irish film, we have such a small pool of decent actors to choose from that they inevitably pop up all over in different roles. Obviously casters want to play it safe and get people they know can act and attract an audience but it leaves little room for emerging talent.
    That said, the characters were somewhat believable if a little stereotypical, the thing was well scripted and shot and the acting was decent (as one comes to expect from the usual suspects).

As for what was funny in Roaring 20's...I don't know, I wasn't making a list. The little things like "mini aldee", the jibe at rugby players the goth orgy thing, the bit with the nicked terminator scene...the quirkiness in general and some of the banter; unlike a lot of Dubs I have nothing against regional accents although the bid lad did ham up the part a wee bit. Oh and yeah that office scene was the poorest part IMO.
    Apparently I'm easily amused though since I'm one of the < 1% who laughed at any point during the thing...

starn wrote: »
    Anyone thinking they would have a career after it came out

That was quite mean. I take it back

• Registered Users Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm confused

Was Vixen, Fas Girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Sat down and watched it the other night, i lasted ten minutes, switched over for a while, then back for the last 5 minutes

The main thing that struck me was that it wasnt funny. Deeply, Deeply Unfunny in fact

Even my wife, who would laugh at anything, had a face on her like she kissed the wrong end of the baby

As a licence payer (honestly, i do!) i feel like asking for a refund.

And if the creators dont like criticism they should take their ball and go home.

Just out of curiosity, on a 100 grand budget, does anyone have any idea how much they'd personally pocket?

Looking forward to Liam Fays review..

Just found this as well

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54737077&postcount=84

note the third para

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mr Stubbs

Interesting comments, people. Strange how everyone bangs on about how RTE never new give new ‘talent’ a chance. Well you could not have been more ‘new’ than us. If you think it failed, fair enough, but please don’t criticize RTE for trying something new. It actually got higher ratings than expected and a pretty good review in the Evening Herald by PROFESSIONAL critic, Pat Stacey: ”It’s a bit of a messy jumble but there was definite flashes of wit and invention. It’s certainly an attempt at something a bit different.”
    And sure I did indeed say “why don’t you write your own comedy and see how good you are?” and I said it because I was one of the ranting nerds up until recently myself — baying for blood with the gusto of a medieval mob — so i got off my fat arse, quit my job, spent my entire savings and made the original pilot — a pilot that RTE liked enough to give us a chance with 2 more Episodes.

The biggest problem with the reaction to this show is not that I’ll have to return to my call centre job and probable eventual suicide — but that RTE will probably never give another couple of young unknowns a chance ever again. So once again I repeat: If you’re not happy with RTE’s comedy output go ahead and try to do better — thats what we did, and believe me, it ain’t as easy as it looks.

On the bright side, the amazingly well written, well acted, well directed, well edited second installment of ‘The Roaring Twenties’ will take place at 10.50pm this coming Monday January 14th. Thanks for watching!!!

PS: RTE will be showing another 'experimental' comedy show next Tuesday called 'Working Girls With Katherine Lynch'. Good luck Katherine, hope it gets a better reaction --- but I'd advise you to avoid Boards at all costs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Annamander

Don't give up Mr. Stubbs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 listerdave

What were the ratings Mr Stubbs?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement