Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox won't download Xbox Live Updates?

Options
  • 29-12-2007 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

I've seen MANY people get this problem, I myself got this after the small update which gave functionality to the new wireless guitar hero guitar.

Basically, the problem seems to lie with Eircom for the most part. It was strange, I noticed that it was only with certain ethernet cables as well, and certan routers.

Basically, what was happening was, it will prompt you to download the latest update in order to continue and if you don't, you'll be signed out from Xbox LIVE.

Then, when you accept and begin to download it, the bar shall simply not fill up. It will then stop the update, telling you that the update could not be downloaded, then it will tell you to check your Network Settings.

When you go to "Test your connection" it will fail the Xbox LIVE section, and then prompt you to download the update. It's a vicious circle. :D

From what I can see, the problem lies with the Routers Firewall, you need to change the Firewall from whatever it's at to Low.

To do this, go to your routers homepage by entering the ip address of your router in the address bar of your browser like this:

DG834G0.jpg

On an eircom router, it will '192.168.1.254' by default (As far as I'm aware), but on 3rd party routers such as Netgear etc, it should be '192.168.0.1'.

You should see a box prompting you for your username and password. Enter your username and password now. By default the username is admin, and the password is password, but this may not be the case for yours, sometimes the password is simply nothing, so leave it blank. Click the Ok button to log in to your router.

Then, follow the relevant instructions on your routers homepage to turn the firewall down to low. On an eircom router, it should be simply a matter of clicking on "Firewall" on the left panel, and selecting Low.

I do not know the implications of doing so, it puts you at a greater risk of getting Virus' I think, but if you have a good firewall installed on your PC and a Anti-Virus/Spyware programme, it shouldn't be a problem but other tech-heads may correct me on that.

Hope it helps, I know it drove me round the bend when it happened to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

stickied

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dan Lynch

yeah i have this same problem but when i tried to type that into my addy bar it didnt work, all that came up is that all too familiar 'internet explorer cannot display this webpage' message. absolute nightmare! and i got the wireless router for 80euro at christmas and its still not working! any more suggestions. im on eircom and have a wireless connection in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Did you try 192.168.1.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dan Lynch

oh sorry, right after my post i realized i had left a quotation mark in because i copied and pasted! yeah now im conected! but im still working out the kinks on playing! thanks a milion for the help and sorry about the mistake.

Dan Lynch wrote: »
    oh sorry, right after my post i realized i had left a quotation mark in because i copied and pasted! yeah now im conected! but im still working out the kinks on playing! thanks a milion for the help and sorry about the mistake.
    No worries.

Enjoy Xbox Live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Now im a little worried of putting my firewall down to low,but I have macafee security centere will it be ok then? No viruses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Im on xbl now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭NukeD4

thanks for that advice,worked perfick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

hahah cheers, spent all day trying to figure this one out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 rossy

Timans wrote: »
    I've seen MANY people get this problem, I myself got this after the small update which gave functionality to the new wireless guitar hero guitar.

Basically, the problem seems to lie with Eircom for the most part. It was strange, I noticed that it was only with certain ethernet cables as well, and certan routers.

Basically, what was happening was, it will prompt you to download the latest update in order to continue and if you don't, you'll be signed out from Xbox LIVE.

Then, when you accept and begin to download it, the bar shall simply not fill up. It will then stop the update, telling you that the update could not be downloaded, then it will tell you to check your Network Settings.

When you go to "Test your connection" it will fail the Xbox LIVE section, and then prompt you to download the update. It's a vicious circle. :D

From what I can see, the problem lies with the Routers Firewall, you need to change the Firewall from whatever it's at to Low.

To do this, go to your routers homepage by entering the ip address of your router in the address bar of your browser like this:

DG834G0.jpg

On an eircom router, it will '192.168.1.254' by default (As far as I'm aware), but on 3rd party routers such as Netgear etc, it should be '192.168.0.1'.

You should see a box prompting you for your username and password. Enter your username and password now. By default the username is admin, and the password is password, but this may not be the case for yours, sometimes the password is simply nothing, so leave it blank. Click the Ok button to log in to your router.

Then, follow the relevant instructions on your routers homepage to turn the firewall down to low. On an eircom router, it should be simply a matter of clicking on "Firewall" on the left panel, and selecting Low.

I do not know the implications of doing so, it puts you at a greater risk of getting Virus' I think, but if you have a good firewall installed on your PC and a Anti-Virus/Spyware programme, it shouldn't be a problem but other tech-heads may correct me on that.

Hope it helps, I know it drove me round the bend when it happened to me.

I know wotz wrong and da problem aint with eircom itz that u forgot to put in ur user name and password

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

hi

just tried this and it works - thanks!

do you have to leave the router on "low" to login to live at all?

thanks
    SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Berbatov

Just got connected, thanks for the advice.

But this was asked before - do you need to leave the firewall setting to low??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

Nice job, works like a treat now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 TGC

Cheers boys - spent the whole day yesterday trying to find a solution on xbox.com to no avail

And I ain't going to ring up the india call center - better off banging my head against a brick wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

You're a saviour!!! Cheers...I hope it works.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Thanks OP! that sorted my problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pennie

ive been stuck with this for MONTHS!!since i got eircom its been ****ed up!but thanks to you its workin! I LOVE YOU!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do you need to leave it at low, as in can you lower it, update, then move it back up??

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

stuck since christmas, just got it going thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

myself and my brother were also stuck since xmas. fare play mate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

thanks this solved problem we have been days trying to fix. however as asked by others, is it necessary to leave firewall settings on low after update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    thanks this solved problem we have been days trying to fix. however as asked by others, is it necessary to leave firewall settings on low after update?

I would also like to ask this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trevor1973

Oh my God I was going bonkers with this
    Thought it was a problem my end
    Looked online - then rang America - the guy said the server was undergoing maintenance - and check in an hour - still same problem

I thought I would check here and lo and behold some genius worked it out
    WHAT A RELIEF. I had just BOUGHT the xbox because today our exchange finally got broadband enabled after years of sloooow dialup so I bought an Xbox 360 straight away

Also, I would like to know do you have to leave the firewall on the router to low?

Trevor

Only saw these messages now.

I don't know whether you can revert back to Medium after the update, I don't see why not. You should try it and see if it works.

Happy Christmas to everyone, hopefully this message is useful to those who got an xbox today, I'm sure there's a few. I had to change my Firewall to Low today myself!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Thank you SO much! was driving me round the bend trying to get it to work

i got mine yesterday, i couldnt be happier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

great post

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trevor1973

When you buy a game and it requires an update - it needs to be set to low as well

T

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

thank you so much also. would never have known this. Luckly boards was the first place i checked for an answer!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fintan Griffin

You are a legend!!the minute i changed the firewall settings it worked instantly!!! Thanks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭YoungPayters

why didnt i go to this thread a lot earlier!! arg!! so could have saved me a lot of time and effort

Advertisement