Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox won't download Xbox Live Updates?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Austriker

when i put in my i.p. address into the search bar in the internet explorer it just brings up a google results page, what shouldl i do???

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Thank God for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

when i put in my i.p. address into the search bar in the internet explorer it just brings up a google results page, what shouldl i do???

you have to put the IP address into the address bar in explorer itself (where you see the http://www.google.ie) NOT into the google search bar!!!

How on earth would google be able to find a router connected to your PC...think about it!

Anyway this happened to me when updating COD 4. I just restarted the router and hey presto it worked for me! I think it has something to do with the firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmacma

Thanks for posting, this worked for me too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 passingby

nice one works grand!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 bcarbery

Excellent, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jaymes420

that post just saved my day!! im glad theirs people who will take the time to explain!! thankyou

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Great now all I need is for my internet connection to work again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gazza087

:Dyour a genius, was banging my head trying to get it to work, only thing i hope my pc will b alright will the firewall turned to low.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

did all this. Still not working. I dont have a hard drive though atm. Would that be a factor??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks or this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Thank God for this. Cheers

(many thanks from my neighbor)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭marky boii

:DI never have this problem with my ELITE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

marky boii wrote: »
    :DI never have this problem with my ELITE

Thats odd;)

marky boii wrote: »
    I'm having trouble setting up xbox does anyone have any advice?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Conaty_95

i have a netgear router how do i get the firewall settings to low ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Conaty_95

i have netgear router how do i get the settings to low i am having a lot of problems with this ....

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

I've been having this problem with my cisco wireless modem (UPC). Disabled all my firewall settings in the router control panel but I still can't download the update. Very, very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 axxxo

the easiest way to overcome this is to download and follow the instructions for the system updates or dash updates from xbox.com, put them on a usb drive, plug it into your xbox, switch it on and it update by itself, done.Having a HDD connected to the xbox or not while it updates is not an issue.

Your pc/laptop has a firewall so turning off the firewall on the router is not an issue
    If you can also find the NAT type on your router switch this to OPEN instead of SECURED, this enables you to connect to more online players and faster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

I've tried installing the update via usb drive but it didn't work, I think I already have the latest update anyway since Tekken 6 required it. Still unable to connect to XBL because it keeps asking for an update, going mental at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CapBean

Just reading through the posts and thought I'd post this.

I've found the following website a good resource when changing router settings, so hope it can help you all out if your stuck.

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/XboxLive360/XboxLive360index.htm

It lists the main routers and has step by step guides for setting them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 axxxo

decentbee are you using a backup or an original? smells like the trademark of a patched backup to me or you could try clearing the cache in system settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Timans wrote: »
    I've seen MANY people get this problem, I myself got this after the small update which gave functionality to the new wireless guitar hero guitar.

Basically, the problem seems to lie with Eircom for the most part. It was strange, I noticed that it was only with certain ethernet cables as well, and certan routers.

Basically, what was happening was, it will prompt you to download the latest update in order to continue and if you don't, you'll be signed out from Xbox LIVE.

Then, when you accept and begin to download it, the bar shall simply not fill up. It will then stop the update, telling you that the update could not be downloaded, then it will tell you to check your Network Settings.

When you go to "Test your connection" it will fail the Xbox LIVE section, and then prompt you to download the update. It's a vicious circle. :D

From what I can see, the problem lies with the Routers Firewall, you need to change the Firewall from whatever it's at to Low.

To do this, go to your routers homepage by entering the ip address of your router in the address bar of your browser like this:

DG834G0.jpg

On an eircom router, it will '192.168.1.254' by default (As far as I'm aware), but on 3rd party routers such as Netgear etc, it should be '192.168.0.1'.

You should see a box prompting you for your username and password. Enter your username and password now. By default the username is admin, and the password is password, but this may not be the case for yours, sometimes the password is simply nothing, so leave it blank. Click the Ok button to log in to your router.

Then, follow the relevant instructions on your routers homepage to turn the firewall down to low. On an eircom router, it should be simply a matter of clicking on "Firewall" on the left panel, and selecting Low.

I do not know the implications of doing so, it puts you at a greater risk of getting Virus' I think, but if you have a good firewall installed on your PC and a Anti-Virus/Spyware programme, it shouldn't be a problem but other tech-heads may correct me on that.

Hope it helps, I know it drove me round the bend when it happened to me.
    you're my new best friend :D what's your gamer tag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

first and foremost people i'm brutal with computers of any type

trying to sort this out and was following the instructions

i can't seem to change firewall settings,i think it's because it's a work pc and the firewall settings are pre determined or set as per company guidelines
    could this be the case and is there a way around it,many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭big_show

Trying to update today, but it keeps crapping out. I am connecting to xbox live and it's finds an update.
    When it tries to download the update the progress bar doesn't fill at all and it just errors out.

Could i have a problem with my eircom router or can i put this down to the bazillion people trying to update their machines today?

edit: got it, Forgot to save my firewall settings on low!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

thank you thank you thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭McGaz23

Thanks for the help with that!! worked first time!! been tryin different things fro ages!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scorpion05

thanks a bunch! changing the firewall settings to LOW worked on my eircom router

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭galteeboy

Thank god for you,you are a genius,been tryin loads of different things to get it working,like downloading update onto cd and flash drive and all but nothing,wish i had tried here first as it worked straight away,thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

i gotta thank you for the solution... a lot of people after Xmas with new xboxs and eircom routers will need to find this solution!

Timans, Straight to the top of the class for you my boy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

hey guys..

does anyone have any info on how to fix this if you have a netgear DGN2000 router... im getting the brain pain trying to get this done..

Advertisement