Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to install a HKC window slimline sensor

Options
  • 12-04-2007 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I have an HKC Safeguard alarm but I have problems with one of my sensors.
    It's a slimlime sensor and it doesn't notice anymore if the window is open or not.

So I opened the cover to see whats wrong, all cables are connected properly. Inside there is a cylindrical sensor with a little arrow at it, so I was turn the sensor a little but until the arrow showed in the direction of the window and then the control panel saids 'window open'. But it doesn't recognise if the window is closed.

So, which direction should the arrow point at?

Before it point to the ceiling.....

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You need to put the sensor back to the way it was as the arrow needs to be pointing up. I take it you have a shock sensor with a built in magnetic contact, is there a little magnet on the window opening. If there is then you need to replace it, the sensor, contact and tamper conections are all marked on the base of the sensor.
    Then again you might just have a shock sensor,which will only work if the window is forced

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

if the panel says "window open" it's most likely the magnetic contact in a combi sensor that is causing the problem, a shock sensor should not recognise an open, or closed window , it will only notice a hard bang or contineous small bangs on the widows,
    So as Jnealon says maybe you need to replace the magnet that it on the window that when the window is closed is more or less beside the sensor.

To check you could also remove this magnet and tape it to the sensor and see it the panel will recognise the window as closed, if it does the magnetic needs to me moved nearer to the sensor (sometimes you can place a second magnet on the first one to increase the strenght of the magnetic field)

However it could also be a cable fault

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Silly question but are you sure the HKC sensor has a magnetic reed fitted? The inertia ones and the ones with both inertia and magnetic detectors look identical.
    As I remember the dual sensor has a red mark underneath it. That's the only way you know

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I know where you are coming from Reyman, but in my experience (alot less then others here wrt alarms) an inertia sensor does not prevent an alarm from setting or give a window open option on the panel:confused:

OP - Maybe you can be a little clearer with your post:

Are you saying that the alarm will not sound when the window is opened? I.E. It does not detect an open window when already programmed to alarm?

A simple test is - if you can set your alarm while the window is already open then either there is no magnetic reed fitted or else wired up in the detector.

Incidentally wiring up those dual HKC detectors is tricky so don't assume it is wired correctly (they don't give you a wiring diagram with the detector)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alextx

Thanks for your answers so far.

There is no magnet at the window, and I was also wondering how a sensor can realise if the window is open or not without a magnet. Fact is, when I moved into the appartment, I couldn't set the alarm when the window was opend and the display said "window open".

Reyman I will check if there is a red mark underneth it but first I have to screw it off to check that - will do that tomorrow.

Jnealon you said the arrow should pointing up. The sensor is fixed at the top of the window frame, so that would mean the arrow should show in the direction of the ceiling - right?

Thanks again for your help!

The arrow should point to the ceiling. Sounds like you just have a shocksensor, this will not detect an open window as you need a contact for that.
    If you remove the two wires for the sensor, note that the connections are marked on the sensor base and connect them together this will tell you if the sensor is faulty or not. If the alarm is not showing an open zone after this then you have a faulty sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

You sure there's no concealed sensor in the window frame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alextx

The sensor says:
    Sensor G2 CII
    HKC LTD Type A

There are 4 lines connected, 2 at the sensor clamp and 2 at the tamper clamp. The two called Reed/Spare are empty.

So is it a only a shock sensor?

Well it's wired as a shock sensor but that doesn't mean it's shock sensor only. It could also be the reed type but with not wired for the other two terminals.

• Advertisement

If you have a multimeter measure the resistance just to be sure or remove the two wires from the sensor terminals and twist them together
    Then just replace the sensor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 platium

Reyman wrote: »
    Silly question but are you sure the HKC sensor has a magnetic reed fitted? The inertia ones and the ones with both inertia and magnetic detectors look identical.
    As I remember the dual sensor has a red mark underneath it. That's the only way you know

Hi there , i have the hkc senors they have 6 connections on them, 2 senor
    2 tamper and 2 reed/spare could you please tell how to wire them because i am trying to fit the alarm myself. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

platium wrote: »
    Hi there , i have the hkc senors they have 6 connections on them, 2 senor
    2 tamper and 2 reed/spare could you please tell how to wire them because i am trying to fit the alarm myself. Thank you

1) contact
    2) shock
    3) tamper
    4) tamper
    5) shock
    6) contact

Hi platium,
    If you are fitting the sensor with a reed switch you need to loop out 1 + 2 with a small piece of cable. then use 3 + 4 for tamper and 5 + 6 for alarm.
    If you are not using the reed then 1 + 6 become spare terminals...
    Hope this helps, any problems let me know...

Hi there,
    Thanks for your help its beginning to work now i am getting continuity on the cable at the panel yepie.
    Cheers platium.

Hi there,
    Thanks for your help its beginning to work now i am getting continuity on the cable at the panel yepie.
    Cheers platium.

Your welcome, always here to help..

Hi there,
    Cheers platium.

Hi there im looking for help again its with my parents house alarm the cs350 it is going off by itself when it is set every so often which is causing them a bit of stress any ideas how to fix it please thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

First step is to identify what zone is activating the alarm.
    This should display after the system is disarmed.
    If there is a number of devices on this zone the DIY way is to remove one device at a time (ensure you close off single cables or join through looped cables) & see if your problem goes away.
    There is a quicker way if you have access to a multimeter
    Disconnect the zone from the control panel & remove any EOL resisitors .Again ensure cables are terminated in the last device. Set meter to resistence 200ohms or 2k .
    Make a note of the level & tap the first sensor you want to test. If the reading stays in or near the same after each tap the device is fine.Repeat on each device 5-6 times. Repeat for each device you want to test. Replace any device where readings change by more than a few ohms.

Cheers for the help koolkid it was sound advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your welcome. Did you get it sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭tangoman

altor wrote: »
    1) contact
    2) shock
    3) tamper
    4) tamper
    5) shock
    6) contact

Hi platium,
    If you are fitting the sensor with a reed switch you need to loop out 1 + 2 with a small piece of cable. then use 3 + 4 for tamper and 5 + 6 for alarm.
    If you are not using the reed then 1 + 6 become spare terminals...
    Hope this helps, any problems let me know...

Hi
    I also have problem wiring these sensors.I have a sSW16120 board.I was told that I have to fit 4K7 resistors in circuit with sensors and tampers.I have linked terminals 1 and two.Do the resistors go between terminals 23 and five and do I just use two wires back to board and if so which colour ones or do I use four wires and wire tampers seperate back to board,
    thanks Albert

• Advertisement

tangoman wrote: »
    Hi
    I also have problem wiring these sensors.I have a sSW16120 board.I was told that I have to fit 4K7 resistors in circuit with sensors and tampers.I have linked terminals 1 and two.Do the resistors go between terminals 23 and five and do I just use two wires back to board and if so which colour ones or do I use four wires and wire tampers seperate back to board,
    thanks Albert

Hi Albert,

You should use two cores back at the panel, Use the same colour core that you have used in the sensor. If your using the sensor with the reed you wire it link 1 + 2. One core in 3, one leg of the resistor in 4, double leg of the resistors in 5, single leg of resistor plus the other core in 6. You will need to set the zone to dual end of line.

Any problems let us know..

Hi Albert,

You should use two cores back at the panel, Use the same colour core that you have used in the sensor. If your using the sensor with the reed you wire it link 1 + 2. One core in 3, one leg of the resistor in 4, double leg of the resistors in 5, single leg of resistor plus the other core in 6. You will need to set the zone to dual end of line.

Any problems let us know..

Thanks understand that.I have only just fitted sensors so nothing wired yet.Have six core cable so I just use two cables from 3 and 6 terminals back to board and use any colour yes.
    Which way around do I fit resistors there are makings on them are they pos and neg and which two tails do i connect together and which go in which terminal.
    On each zone at panel there are four terminals two alarm two two tamper.They have links fitted do I connect wires from sensors into the alarm terminals and if so does it matter which way around and do I leave in link at tamper terminals or take it out.Thank so much for your help,

Albert

what is your opinion on wiring the tampers some people have told me should just wire contacts and sensors

Thanks understand that.I have only just fitted sensors so nothing wired yet.Have six core cable so I just use two cables from 3 and 6 terminals back to board and use any colour yes.

Correct.

Which way around do I fit resistors there are makings on them are they pos and neg and which two tails do i connect together and which go in which terminal.

It does not mater which way you use them.
    On each zone at panel there are four terminals two alarm two two tamper.They have links fitted do I connect wires from sensors into the alarm terminals and if so does it matter which way around and do I leave in link at tamper terminals or take it out.

Yes, leave the links in the tamper side of the zone. You will connect the two cores your using into the alarm side of the zone. Again it does not mater which way you wire it into the panel once you have it wired correctly in the sensor.

Thank so much for your help,

Always happy to help :D

what is your opinion on wiring the tampers some people have told me should just wire contacts and sensors

The tamper is a must. With out the tamper the sensor can be easily comprised ;)

The tamper is a must. With out the tamper the sensor can be easily comprised ;)

Great understand thank you so much.Whats you name.
    Will start wiring them on Monday.
    I also have on two windows a big window and smaller one on top and was going to put a contact on the smaller window and wire it in with the sensor can I do this and if so do I connect it in series or parallel and whickh terminals do I connect to on Sensor,

Albert

Hope this helps, it is an example of dual plus single end of line wiring.

Hope this helps, it is an example of dual plus single end of line wiring.

I have wired the sensors as the single line diagram on the windows with just a single sensors but not sure of the other windows with a sensor and contact not two sensors.There are only two terminals on contact

Hopefully this one will be better for you if your installing contacts. Is there no tamper terminal on them ? Can you post a picture so i can see.

Hopefully this one will be better for you if your installing contacts. Is there no tamper terminal on them ? Can you post a picture so i can see.

i have not bought contacts yet.I have three windows with one large and one small opening.I have put a sensor on the big window and was just going to put a contact on the smaller window and wire them together maybe you could advise me diffrent

• Advertisement

i have not bought contacts yet.I have three windows with one large and one small opening.I have put a sensor on the big window and was just going to put a contact on the smaller window and wire them together maybe you could advise me diffrent

If you want to cover the openings then contacts on them is what you need plus a shock sensor. If the window is over 6 foot, 2 shock sensors are needed.

Advertisement