Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-02-2004, 13:04   #1
aoa321

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Hi,

Does anybody know how they make / have a recipe for the very tasty chicken (buffalo) wings from the Elephant & Castle restaraunt in Dublin's Temple Bar.

Mod Edit (Dec 2012): Posters have long figured out the recipe! Please read through the thread to find it. You'll get laughed at if you post announcing you've figured it out, as if you're the first to have done so .

Last edited by Faith; 20-12-2012 at 12:04.
Advertisement
27-02-2004, 13:20   #2
alastair

I've been told it involves buckets of butter, with tabasco and vinegar.
27-02-2004, 13:29   #3
Mumha

Sounds deliciously Atkins friendly

Would they be as good as Luigi Malone's chicken wings ?
27-02-2004, 13:35   #4
uberwolf

From what I gather the elephant and castle one's would leave Luigi Malone's eating dirt...
(3) thanks from:
27-02-2004, 13:56   #5
aoa321

thanks for your replies - I can't find anybody who knows the recipe so I'm going to start experimenting ... the butter / tabasco and vinegar sounds like a good place to start.

I have had the chicken wings from both Luigi Malones and Elephant & Castle ... no disrepect to Luigi Malones but they are not in the same league, they don't even deserve comparison with the Elephant & Castle buffalo wings
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-02-2004, 17:06   #6
giftgrub

i used to work a bar in dublin that was well known for its wings, but not as good as elephants.

what they do there is get the chicken wings, coat them in oil and cajun seasoning ( the kind you'd get in the spices section of the supermarket)

then they'd bake them in the oven and set them aside and let them go cold

then whenever they were ordered they'd deep fry them til crispy and then throw a load of this stuff called Louisnana Hot Sauce all over them.

served with a little tub of garlic mayo

et viola...simply malicious
29-02-2004, 10:51   #7
Krusty_Clown

Send a message via AIM to Krusty_Clown
Haven't tasted the ones in The E&C, but if they're anything likes the spicy wings you get in the US (sticky, slightly orange colour, served with a blue cheese dip and sticks of celery), then, here's a couple of recipes:

Hot and Spicy Buffalo wings
Hot Chicken Wings

The problem is that they all describe using 'hot sauce'. So, what you really need is the recipe for hot sauce.. You could always order the sauce from the original restaurant that created the recipe.

Here's an informative link to a history/origins of the Buffalo Wings, which has links to a load of recipes..
29-02-2004, 11:34   #8
EL_Diablo

I don't think you'll find anyone with the recipe, The E&C keep the recipe a secret. But here's one that's pretty close (apparently, I haven't tried this myself)

Get a pack and a half of chicken wings from your butcher or supermarket. Remove the wing tip, leaving the little V joint. Cut that in half again so you have a mini drumstick and a slightly smaller piece. Deep fry your chicken wings for about 6 to 8 minutes, just until they're really crispy and the juices are completely clear.
In the meantime melt about 4oz of butter add in 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar and 4 to 6 tablespoons of tobasco sauce. Mix all that together. When the wings are done, toss them in the butter mixture then drain them. Serve them as quickly as possible with a blue cheese dip. To make a blue cheese dip, mix the following ingredients together.

Half a cup of sour cream
Three quarters of a cup of mayonnaise
Half a cup of blue cheese crumbled
1 clove of Garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of cider vinegar
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley

(This is straight out of a book so don't blame me if it's totally wrong and manky )
01-03-2004, 10:10   #9
aoa321

thank you for all your replies ... I tried a couple of different things over the weekend ... they were quite tasty but nothing like the Elephant & Castles

you've given me a few more ideas now ... my wife will be delighted !?!
Advertisement
23-03-2007, 11:11   #10
imeatingchips

elephant and castle chicken wings recipe

can anyone tell me how to make these holy jesus what in the name of god almighty is this FANTASTICAL CHICKEN WINGS?

Vinny Vanuchi's in Malahide does them now (or very similar to them) and I've heard of a few other places that are doing them too.

So it isn't feckin oompa loompa's churning them out

as they say on crimeline, somebody must know something ... please, get in touch with us
Thanks from:
23-03-2007, 11:15   #11
Kinetic^
Closed Account

I'm going to get shot for saying this but I had these a while back and was not impressed all that much
23-03-2007, 11:29   #12
mickith

how dare you kenny5. wash your mouth out, with all the spicy vinegary juice left over from when you finish eating all your chicken wings from e+c

Quote:
i used to work a bar in dublin that was well known for its wings, but not as good as elephants.

what they do there is get the chicken wings, coat them in oil and cajun seasoning ( the kind you'd get in the spices section of the supermarket)

then they'd bake them in the oven and set them aside and let them go cold

then whenever they were ordered they'd deep fry them til crispy and then throw a load of this stuff called Louisnana Hot Sauce all over them.

served with a little tub of garlic mayo

et viola...simply malicious
think this would prob be the closest to them. havent tried to make any of the receipes mentioned but might give it a go this weekend.
have to say i enjoyed them emmensly, even the big celery sticks.perfect
23-03-2007, 11:40   #13
imeatingchips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny 5
...I had these a while back and was not impressed all that much...
SILENCE, INFIDEL!!!!
23-03-2007, 11:45   #14
imeatingchips

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickith
think this would prob be the closest to them. havent tried to make any of the receipes mentioned but might give it a go this weekend.
have to say i enjoyed them emmensly, even the big celery sticks.perfect
yeah, seems so. so i suppose it's all about getting the "hot sauce". looks like it'll have to be ordered from the interweb.

is there a shop in dublin that u can get it now? have we not made ANY progress since 27-02-2004 13:04 (OP's post)?
23-03-2007, 11:50   #15
imeatingchips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny 5
I'm going to get shot for saying this but I had these a while back and was not impressed all that much
give it some more time. he'll come back for more. they always do.

i saw crates being loaded into the back of the e&c labelled "DANGER : HEROINGS" (i.e. heroin/wings ... much like homer's tomacco)
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion