Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I made an executive decision as I thought butter would be too salty. - I'll try it next time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

try unsalted then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

can anyone tell me how to make these holy jesus what in the name of god almighty is this FANTASTICAL CHICKEN WINGS?

Vinny Vanuchi's in Malahide does them now (or very similar to them) and I've heard of a few other places that are doing them too.

So it isn't feckin oompa loompa's churning them out

as they say on crimeline, somebody must know something ... please, get in touch with us

Those have to be the best in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭coffee to go

The masochists amongst us may be interested to learn that Fallon & Byrne are now stocking Frank's Xtra Hot sauce too.

http://www.franksredhot.com/recipe/franks/products_x.jsp

Atomic wings anyone?

http://www.franksredhot.com/recipe/rds/franks/?id=9895&cname=XTRA%20Hot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Oh dear god...

The normal one is hot enough for me... I always have to have a glass of milk handy when eating it!

It's very tasty with salmon too. The OH and I made a spicy salmon dish with mash and it was damn tasty. Some cajun spices, salt, pepper over the salmon then cook it in Frank's original mixed with butter. Nyom, nyom, nyom!

• Advertisement

Attol wrote: »
    The normal one is hot enough for me... I always have to have a glass of milk handy when eating it!

you might well be making things worse for yourself by doing that.

the best way to get over the heat of them if they are too much is to not drink anything at all and jus tpower through the discomfort and it will pass after a few minutes.

my other half had the same problems with spicy food initially but i've managed to train it out of her and she's grand with most spicy stuff now and it's opened up a whole load of new flavours for her that were previously jusy 'too spicy', so that's good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭schmel22

Cause wrote: »
    Hey, I’ve come across the E&C recipe in other places around Dublin. Tribeca in Ranelagh for one anyway. I’ve also had them as far a field as Ashbourne village…

Harveys in Balbriggan

TO DIE FOR!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

vibe666 wrote: »
    you might well be making things worse for yourself by doing that.

the best way to get over the heat of them if they are too much is to not drink anything at all and jus tpower through the discomfort and it will pass after a few minutes.

my other half had the same problems with spicy food initially but i've managed to train it out of her and she's grand with most spicy stuff now and it's opened up a whole load of new flavours for her that were previously jusy 'too spicy', so that's good. :)

orange juice is the best thing to drink after you have drank something too spicy. trust me it really works better than milk, water, 7up ect

i think orange juice might well ruin the flavour of the wings. much better to let yourself grow accustomed to the spice. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

I agree, imo orange juice would ruin the flavour.
    A nice glass of wine and the odd drink of water.
    Can't beat it.

• Advertisement

the only problem i have it trying not to accidentally bite off any fingers whilst I'm wolfing them down! :D

FYI Tesco's seem to have fully taken up the mantel of Franks Original sauce now, not just thre buffalo wings sauce, so you can do it properly. just been in my local tesco today and they had coipious amounts of both, so it looks like (thankfully) it's here to stay. yay! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

they're not that hot you pussies... wash down with lashings and lashings of beer :)

Harbourmaster at the IFSC do great wings too, i'd say they're on a par

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Bearer of bad news. I think the recession has claimed its latest victim. Went to E&C last for dinner. Ordered wings as usual. Was seriously disappointed.

Wings appeared to be sparrow rather than chicken. (Honestly, tiny they were - see pic below). Too much salt in the coating. Next to no hot sauce. Baskets now bulked up with lettuce. Wings crunchier than juicy.

Then:

wings.jpg

Now:

28012009002.jpg

Will be sticking to my homemade ones from now on. Vastly superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

TBH I think in E&C it depends on what time you go in. I'm just guessing but it seems they do batches and if you're at the end of a batch, you'll get crappy wings, but then you see them bringing out newly cooked baskets with mahoosive amounts of meat on the bones. I suppose you could always ask for meatier wings if you order them?

yeah, last time i was there they were measly portions.

will stick to the home grown ones from now on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

I noticed that last time I was there too. E/C wings have gone way downhill.
    but since I'm now in America I don't have to worry about that:)

http://www.buffalowildwings.com/

Going to go here to watch the superbowl later today I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Jamfan

Gonna ressurect this one...

Right, my reipe is a little bit different, and I know that wingosseurs will not be pleased...

I use a mix of half wings and half drumsticks. Most people agree that the drumsticks are way better than the wings: so much more meat.

OK, aside from using drumsticks I also BOIL them first. Yes, I boil them instead of deep frying (I hate deep fat fryers - remember them from the 80s as being disgusting and having to be cleaned with caustic soda) or grilling them. I boil the wings for about ten to fifteen minutes and the drumsticks for maybe five minutes longer.

I then also remove the skins, which by that time are hanging off. This leaves a lean, low-fat wing or drumstick that is tender, moist and succulent. After boiling I pre-heat the grill to 250 degrees Celsius and blast the wings/sticks on each side until nicely coloured.

For the dressing I use two thirds Franks Hot Sauce and one third melted butter. For my blue cheese dip I use Danish Blue (Rosenborg), which I think is the best blue cheese.

I don't bother with celery sticks because I hate celery even more than scummy Tefal fryers. hehe

Really, believe me, this produces awesome results. The wings are moist and juicy, and not tough and chewy like they often are when deep fried.

By the way, the Franks label says the recipe calls for clarified butter, and not Stork or what have you.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

Jamfan wrote: »
    Gonna ressurect this one...

Right, my reipe is a little bit different, and I know that wingosseurs will not be pleased...

I use a mix of half wings and half drumsticks. Most people agree that the drumsticks are way better than the wings: so much more meat.

OK, aside from using drumsticks I also BOIL them first. Yes, I boil them instead of deep frying (I hate deep fat fryers - remember them from the 80s as being disgusting and having to be cleaned with caustic soda) or grilling them. I boil the wings for about ten to fifteen minutes and the drumsticks for maybe five minutes longer.

I then also remove the skins, which by that time are hanging off. This leaves a lean, low-fat wing or drumstick that is tender, moist and succulent. After boiling I pre-heat the grill to 250 degrees Celsius and blast the wings/sticks on each side until nicely coloured.

For the dressing I use two thirds Franks Hot Sauce and one third melted butter. For my blue cheese dip I use Danish Blue (Rosenborg), which I think is the best blue cheese.

I don't bother with celery sticks because I hate celery even more than scummy Tefal fryers. hehe

Really, believe me, this produces awesome results. The wings are moist and juicy, and not tough and chewy like they often are when deep fried.

By the way, the Franks label says the recipe calls for clarified butter, and not Stork or what have you.

Enjoy!

Low fat?
    Wtf?
    Also - I live in america now.
    Check this badboy **** out.
    http://twitpic.com/1pj74

Check out blazin wings challenge on youtube.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Jamfan

Low fat?
    Wtf?
    Also - I live in america now.
    Check this badboy **** out.
    http://twitpic.com/1pj74

Check out blazin wings challenge on youtube.com

Well, what I save in removing the skins I can make up for in the dressing (Franks Hot Sauce - zero sugar, zero fat, zero calories, massive amounts of salt, though) and the butter... and at that I don't add all that much butter. So it is actually not too bad as regards calorieageness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Made these over the weekend, as per Ballyman's recipe, coated in flour, then into the fridge for 30 mins, but as I've no deep fat fryer, I baked them in the oven at 225 degrees for 25 minutes. Sauce 2/3rds Franks and 1/3 butter, had to go to four supermarkets before I found Franks

OMG they were delicious, and really crispy thanks so much for the recipe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

Hi,

Last weekend I felt like making some nice chicken wings with Franks Sauce. So I went to my local Tesco in Sligo just to find out that they don't offer it anymore. I am not sure if its gone from all Tesco's in Ireland or just Sligo but I guess it has something to do with the pricecuts and bringing in more U.K products.

Anyone knows if other Tesco's still sell Frank's sauce or if you can buy it in any other store? I asked them if they could sell the sauce again and they said if they get enough interest they will but lets face it unless you actually had really good chicken wings in the U.S and really like/know the flavour I would assume that most ppl in Ireland could care less about Franks sauce.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

rh555 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am not sure if its gone from all Tesco's in Ireland or just Sligo but I guess it has something to do with the pricecuts and bringing in more U.K products.

Anyone knows if other Tesco's still sell Frank's sauce or if you can buy it in any other store?
    Thanks

As soon as possible I will check out if my local Tesco still sells them (I live in Bray). Shopping day is Tuesday :-) I hope it still does!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I bought some in Tesco Celbridge on Friday evening and it was €1 off! Nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Tesco in Jervis & Dundrum have franks, €2.39 atm :)

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

Thx for that. I'll have a friend get me some from another Tesco. Yeah Tesco Sligo is pretty small and their sauce/ketchup section is tiny. So I guess they just don't have enough space to stock it but as long as other Tesco's keep it stocked it is no problem just an inconvenience.

last time i found it in my local tesco i bought the whole box just in case!

the girl at te checkout must have thought i was bonkers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

Stock up on Frank's today in Bray. It's on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

The biggest myth in Dublin is that these are the best wings - buffalo wings are so easy to make Elephant and castles are no different - just buy a jar of hot sauce :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Oh - i only read the fist page - I see you got to this point already - LOL

Advertisement