Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the de-boning is a bit o a pain, but with a little practice it doesn't take too long and once you can get under the bone with your fingers it comes out pretty easily.

I know what you mean though about the prepped ones still whole. I've even been to a few restaurants that leave them whole with the tips on and everything (lazy feckers!) and that pretty much ruins the whole experience imho.

I also have a set of tweezers for those kinds of jobs too, mostly for feathers and bones out of fish. :)

you used to be able to get the thighs in tesco that already had the bones out which was a bonus, but I haven't seen them for several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

Soo.... blue cheese sauce? Or what did you have with them? Salad? I was thinking about making the chicken thighs, like this, and mix them with fresh little gems, tomato, spring onion...

yeah, was thinking they might go well with a salad or something, seems sinful just to have a heap of them on their own. :D

still using brianna's blue cheese dressing on them. drizzling it over like a dressing rather than dipping them in it.

i know it's not to everyones taste and i know i could make my own dip better if i tried, but we had some spare so I just used that.

it's still majorly tasty with the thighs tho, I'll never make it with wings again (if I can help it). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭coffee to go

I notice Ray D'Arcy's show have uploaded their old (and wrong!) version of the E&C wing recipe from the Fix It Friday book to the Today FM website (recipe is on Ray's show page). Theirs is done with Tabasco... Now, question is, should somebody let them know what the real deal is, or will we all just be selfish and keep the knowledge of the almighty Frank to ourselves??? *EVIL GRIN*

hehe, the Franks buffalo wings sauce isn't actually the roginal receipe though either.

AFAIK the original reciepe used Franks 'hot sauce' as part of the receipe and Frank's just cashed in by making their own buffalo wing sauce afterwards.

at least that's what I read somewhere, who know's for sure anyway.

whatever the original reciepe is, Franks is the closest most people are ever going to get to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce, is tthe hot sauce with fake butter flavour added to it.

It's much nicer to use the hot sauce with a knob of butter added to it.

from reading the anchor bar receipe online there seems to be more in it than just franks hot sauce & butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JFeathers

:) The sauce that they use in the Elephant and Castle is ‘Frank’s Hot Sauce’. I used to buy it from the states till they started selling it here. You can get it now in 1.7 gallon bottles from Musgraves in Ballymount or I’ve seen it in the little retail bottles too in Tesco. The cooking instructions are all on this website: www.franksredhot.com
    Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I'm gonna make these tonight (brought home loads of franks from America), anyone have any decent recipies for Blue Cheese sauce to go with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

I have a musgraves card and can buy gallon bottles of franks hot sauce. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    I'm gonna make these tonight (brought home loads of franks from America), anyone have any decent recipies for Blue Cheese sauce to go with them?
    I just get some blue cheese (mild-ish), chop it up very finely, and throw it into a bowl. Add a couple of tablespoons of Philadelphia (light if you like), a couple of tablespoons of Mayonnaise (light?) and mix it all together very well, so the blue cheese chunks are largely broken up.. If it's too thick, add some more mayonnaise. That's it.. Add a little lemon juice, if you want..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Fantastic, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Another Blue cheese dressing recipe here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I bought a bottle of Frank's last night.
    It was the Hot wing one (I think).
    It was really really vinegary so I added some honey and it wasnt that bad.
    They were sold out of the original one.
    The wings from Eddie Rockets are really nice by the way.
    The sauce I got last night tastes like the one they use in the porterhouse, has that really vinegary taste sometimes and then other times its perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Don't know how this will go down here, after all it goes against the sacreligous frying of the wings. Anyway its a handy video, and uses the much talked about hot sauce:

http://ifoods.tv/meat-&-poultry/How-to-make-Grilled-Buffalo-Wings-/V532/

i think a lot of the time the places you buy the bufallo wings in town dilute it with butter and/or vinegar to make it go further.

btw if you find franks too hot just melt in a bit of butter to mellow it out a bit.

also if it's too vinegary for you, just cook it out a little before tossing in the wings to evaporate some of the vinegar. you can smell it steaming off when you heat the sauce. :)

incidentally, I'm having a bunch of people over on saturday and i know i said i'd always use thighs from now on, but i've got 10 packs of wings to prepare for the event and that's bad enough, don't think i could have managed that with thighs! :D

but 100% thighs FTW! ;)

don't want to panic anyone, but the franks buffalo sauce was only €2.39 in tesco today on special. i'm hoping it wasn't a sign that they are going to get rid of it.

good value anyway, got 12 bottles just in case. can't see it going off any time soon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Some folks may have missed this in last Saturday's Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2008/0823/1219355296065.html

Nary a mention of this thread anywhere. Feckin journos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

you can get Franks hot sauce (make sure its the buffalo one) in Tescos of all places. Heres the recipe for the blue cheese sauce

Half a cup of sour cream
    Three quarters of a cup of mayonnaise
    Half a cup of blue cheese crumbled
    1 clove of Garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon of lemon juice
    1 tablespoon of cider vinegar ( or white wine vinegar)
    2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley

just mix it all together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wanneabecritic

it is louisiana hot sauce the wings are baked then deep fried and tossed in this sauce if you know anyone that works in a kitchen it can be got from pallas foods who deliver nationwide if your having trouble getting it i can get you some let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

OMG franks hot sauce(buffalo wings) = top of the range

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Some folks may have missed this in last Saturday's Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2008/0823/1219355296065.html

Nary a mention of this thread anywhere. Feckin journos.

Feckin journos is right! An hour in the oven at 180c:eek: They would be crisp alright - probably eat the bones and all. Deep fat fryer for 10 minutes produces crisp skin and tender juicy meat. Never fails.

foodaholic wrote: »
    you can get Franks hot sauce (make sure its the buffalo one) in Tescos of all places.
    dude, read the thread. ;)

----
    LOL, bitter much?
    The original sauce has a recommended retail price of €2.99 - unless you buy it in Dublin food store Fallon & Byrne, where I paid €5.95 for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭leiwand

anyone tried comparing louisiana hot sauce and franks hot sauce to see which is better? been using louisiana for years and just curious

b.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Another vote against the E&C wings - disgusting, taste like Windowlene!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

grilling chicken wings makes them nice and crispy.
    I've had a few attempts at making wings like Luigi malone's or E&C. Grilling the chicken wings definitely worked better than baking them. I found a hot sauce that was really good on the shelf in the supermarket...can't remember what one it was but it seemed like an established brand. Couldn't find any half-decent blue cheese dip in the supermarker. Tried making my own and it was ok, but not great. From my experimentation, I think that there shouldn't be very much blue cheese in a good blue cheese dip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Confab wrote: »
    Another vote against the E&C wings - disgusting, taste like Windowlene!

Windowlene eh? When did you taste that?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

Cor. If Windowlene tastes that good, I'm off to sprinkle some on me chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Just back feck loads of sauce and a few btls of blue cheese sauce from Canada, yipeee! I like em 'suicide' a la roadhouse Bar in Bangkok - just chop up some fresh chillies and add it to the sauce before cooking, absoloutely delicious! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

PS- Tribeca Wings >>>> E&C Wings, but neither have a patch on the Roadhouse!

Advertisement