Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

jimgoose wrote: »
    The last buck-toothed pavee to come to my door parroting "tax the rich!!" thought the rich meant "anyone with a job".

probably a PBP ****er

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Ferris

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/message-of-support-from-mccabe-killers-1.420865

Some of our local Sinn Fein reps are really hard working and capable (same for Cathal King in South Dublin CC, when I lived there) but they are a generation away from being clean.
    Honestly, I can get over the targeting of soldiers and government targets. Of the elder parties only Labour are not wholly drenched in blood, from their inception?

I can not forget bombing Warrington streets, drugs, and plain out armed robbery etc; whose perpetrators have been given hero status by Sinn Fein Membership to this day.

This is what I don’t understand. Some of the SF candidates seem very competent, I don’t understand why they would want to be involved with a party that has so called connections with the IRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

For me it's Warrington.

That said I will be giving SF a preference.

I remember Warrington too, along with many other bombings & shootings, hence why would you give them a preference?

Sorry, can't compute :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

neris wrote: »
    probably a PBP ****er

No, he was SF. Since bowed out, come to think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Whatever about their history, I wouldn't vote for SF based purely on the fact their promises are always completely unachieveable and unfeasible.

At least FG and FF have the sense to be realistic with their lies. I mean that's just common courtesy.

• Advertisement

frillyleaf wrote: »
    This is what I don’t understand. Some of the SF candidates seem very competent, I don’t understand why they would want to be involved with a party that has so called connections with the IRA?

There is a new guard coming through and in 10-15 years I think that the direct connections to the IRA will be dying out. Who knows where the party will position then but it will be, at least, electable in terms of conscience I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

is_that_so wrote: »
    Two posts on this and you still haven't made sense. Ah well.

Your reading comprehension is terrible.if only mummy and daddy could get a refund on those private school fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,007 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I’m in that position mentioned in the OP. I like the local SF TD and I like a lot of SF policies but I don’t support the republican stuff so I won’t vote for them.

If they were just a left wing party I’d most likely vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

They could have raised local property tax in Dublin and built council houses with the money but they didn't.

I support council house building but it has to be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I remember Warrington too, along with many other bombings & shootings, hence why would you give them a preference?

Perhaps because she remembers what ff did to the country a decade ago and fg are a waste of space . Computes just fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think that for older people, their links with the IRA are still strong in the memory, and there is a perception that their distancing themselves from the IRA is more cosmetic than genuine.

That probably does a disservice to plenty of their politicians, but they knew the score when joining the party.

They're all bastards. I'd give my local SF candidate a higher preference if I liked her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What put me off them for life was their lobbying to get the murderers of Garda Detective Jerry McCabe released early.
    That kind of attitude to Irish justice is never welcome on my doorstep.

flazio wrote: »
    What put me off them for life was their lobbying to get the murderers of Garda Detective Jerry McCabe released early.
    That kind of attitude to Irish justice is never welcome on my doorstep.

Indeed, that was no political cause. It was straight up killing of a Police Officer, during a bank robbery.
    They gave their letters a standing ovation at the Ard Fheis, Martin Ferris met the out of the jail, and they never once even hinted at remorse rather played the woe are us political prisoners card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

They could have raised local property tax in Dublin and built council houses with the money but they didn't.

I support council house building but it has to be paid for.

Do you realise this government spent 80 billion this year, thats €80,000,000,000, an awful lot of zero's and a number that most cant really comprehend

Are you seriuosly suggesting that out of that money they could not have allocated a signicant chunk to building social and affordable housing?

Council budgets have not increased dramatically, nor has the allocation for spending on social and affordable housing, and you expect councils to suddenly produce miracles.

THe reality is FG want nothing to do with social housing, they want all housing to be private sector.
    The problem is we are now in the position that even if a developer was able to build 100,000 additional homes just in the Dublin area even those working could not afford them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

efanton wrote: »
    Do you realise this government spent 80 billion this year, thats €80,000,000,000, an awful lot of zero's and a number that most cant really comprehend

Are you seriuosly suggesting that out of that money they could not have allocated a signicant chunk to building social and affordable housing?

Council budgets have not increased dramatically, nor has the allocation for spending on social and affordable housing, and you expect councils to suddenly produce miracles.

THe reality is FG want nothing to do with social housing, they want all housing to be private sector.
    The problem is we are now in the position that even if a developer was able to build 100,000 additional homes just in the Dublin area even those working could not afford them.
    Pretty sure that last bit is made up seeing as they allocated plenty of money for the actual building of social housing. You also might educate yourself on how that €80bn was spent.

https://whereyourmoneygoes.gov.ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,284 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

“Jerry McCabe was shot dead by Pearse McAuley and Kevin Walsh,” said Mr Kearney. “Martin Ferris collected them from jail in 2009 when they were freed and his Sinn Féin colleagues backed him for this sickening display of support for people who brutally gunned down a decent garda going about his duty.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/jerry-mccabe-killing-returns-to-haunt-sinn-fein-381733.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

eagle eye wrote: »
    Where did I say anything about FF or FG?
    I've posted elsewhere on this site that I'm voting independent only.
    A new political party is badly needed in this country. One that wants to give people more money to spend to help grow the economy. One that will cut through all the red tape in the health sector and move out all the unnecessary administrators and bring in more nurses and doctors.
    One that supports both urban and rural Ireland.

I had question marks. I was asking.
    The narrative is generally 'don't vote SF or anyone on the left because we'll get [insert everything FF/FG bring us in spades]'.

I agree. FG had the chance and chose not to. So it's unlikely they'll ever attempt such a thing. FF are talking about throwing more money at it. SF talking about reducing agency staff and getting in permanent, more beds etc. FG/FF wouldn't like their pals running the agencies losing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Pretty sure that last bit is made up seeing as they allocated plenty of money for the actual building of social housing. You also might educate yourself on how that €80bn was spent.

I don’t think they did put a huge amount towards building it. They have relied heavily on private landlords for social housing and include these in “stock”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

fergus1001 wrote: »
    not a shinner but this arguement makes my blood boil, every other main stream party in the state has violent pasts whether it was 35 years ago or 100 years ago

Always good to remember that FG are doing their best to disown their own history of Facism, Nazi style salutes which is the beginning of their party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

“Jerry McCabe was shot dead by Pearse McAuley and Kevin Walsh,” said Mr Kearney. “Martin Ferris collected them from jail in 2009 when they were freed and his Sinn Féin colleagues backed him for this sickening display of support for people who brutally gunned down a decent garda going about his duty.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/jerry-mccabe-killing-returns-to-haunt-sinn-fein-381733.html

100% the right thing to do. Just as Gerry Adams carrying the coffin of a Shankill bombers. It's sickening but a necessity in order to hold a movement together. They don't and never have denied it.

100% the right thing to do. Just as Gerry Adams carrying the coffin of a Shankill bombers. It's sickening but a necessity in order to hold a movement together. They don't and never have denied it.

Right thing to do? Seriously, the right thing?

They should have been disowned as the thugs they were, immediately, unless the IRA admit to carrying out bank robberies in the Republic and gunning down Gardaí as a matter of course?

They should have been disowned as the thugs they were, immediately, unless the IRA admit to carrying out bank robberies in the Republic and gunning down Gardaí as a matter of course?

Seriously yes.

Leaving them to the Dissident groups to pick up outside of the prison would have opened the gates to claim that Sinn Fein had abandoned their own and led to serious splits.

Much better that Sinn Fein take the heat on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's better people realise who they'd be voting for.

The Shinners have tried to adopt a new ultra-woke persona but scratch beneath the surface and the violent, subversive, Marxist thuggery is still there.

It's always best to view them with the mask off - the Gerry McCabe incident was a salient reminder to democrats what a vote for SF really means.

Seriously yes.

Leaving them to the Dissident groups to pick up outside of the prison would have opened the gates to claim that Sinn Fein had abandoned their own and led to serious splits.

Much better that Sinn Fein take the heat on it.

Then Sinn Fein are enthral to IRA and not electable.

One or the other...

Then Sinn Fein are enthral to IRA and not electable.

One or the other...

Not in real life I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

strangely enough I had already posted that link in another thread. No where does it show or indicate money allocated to building homes.

new social or affordable homes built by government
    2017 2,297
    2018 4,251
    obviously there is a lead time involved here and money allocated or spent might take more than a year to show as a completed homes.

for the 2018 budget they promised to spend €1.9 billion for housing
    Of that only €1.14 billion was for the delivery of almost 5,900 NEW social homes.

in October 2019 FG were promising to spend €1.1 billion on social housing as part of Budget 2020.
    A an extremely modest decrease in spending not the increase required, or possibly the same allocation due to rounding. Nothing added that's for sure.

Even if that entire €1.1 billion were spent on new build social housing, it would build about 5,000 homes at the very most.

The simple fact is that no additional money has been allocated to building social or affordable homes and there has not been a significant increase over the last 4 or 5 years, despite an awful lot of lip service and empty promises.

Given that more than 14,000 new households came onto the council housing lists in 2018 it is clear that the governments social housing targets will come nowhere near meeting existing or new demand.
    So tell me where are all these extra people requiring housing going to go?

As stated FG have no interested in social housing, they are quite happy to let the private sector take care of virtually all housing needs in this country.

You have given nothing to argue that this is not the case, I assume because there is no argument possible to prove otherwise.
    I would be perfectly happy for you to prove me wrong if you can provide solid figures and statistics to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They pass off buying and leasing new builds as social housing builds, neglecting to mention that they didn't actually build them.
    It's a con. People complain they don't want to pay for social housing when they already are and through the nose by using the market to buy and lease.
    25 year leases ffs..

It's better people realise who they'd be voting for.

The Shinners have tried to adopt a new ultra-woke persona but scratch beneath the surface and the violent, subversive, Marxist thuggery is still there.

It's always best to view them with the mask off - the Gerry McCabe incident was a salient reminder to democrats what a vote for SF really means.

Marxism is pretty woke in all fairness.
    Didn't realise they were Marxists . I'll be sure to give them the number one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I’m not voting SF because I think they are a party for wasters and layabouts, the free for all brigade in other words. As a taxpayer earning over 30k they have absolutely nothing to offer me.

Advertisement