Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i tried running the white spirit through a coffee filter but the crud in it just clogged up the filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

i tried running the white spirit through a coffee filter but the crud in it just clogged up the filter.

probably to fine a filter a sock over the container or something will work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Headset needed cleaning and greasing. Good excuse to break in the new ratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

So, time to remove those crank arms. Had them soaked overnight in WD40

498774.jpg
    Bought the correct tool, threaded it up...

498775.jpg
    Stripped the threads

498776.jpeg
    Broke out the big guns...

498777.jpeg
    Did nothing but take the point off the puller

Back to the drawing board. I've seen the puller used in conjunction with a small socket to centre the puller arm on the square taper, but that's for another day

cletus wrote: »
    So, time to remove those crank arms. Had them soaked overnight in WD40

498774.jpg
    Bought the correct tool, threaded it up...

498775.jpg
    Stripped the threads

Not to ask a stupid question but you did just sinch up the main collar which you have the spanner on and use the inner bolt to push off the BB right?

I envisage and angle grinder and heat torch in your near future :D

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Not to ask a stupid question but you did just sinch up the main collar which you have the spanner on and use the inner bolt to push off the BB right?

I envisage and angle grinder and heat torch in your near future :D

As my grandfather used to say, no such thing as a stupid question, only an eejit that asked it :D

Yep, used the puller as you described. I'm hoping not to take an angle grinder to it, but the heat torch might be on the list all right

cletus wrote: »
    As my grandfather used to say, no such thing as a stupid question, only an eejit that asked it :D

I used to get there's no such thing as a stupid question but plenty of stupid answers out there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I treated myself to R8050 Di2 groupset in the Black Friday sales (from Bike24) and on Sunday started the build and removed all the cable guides for the mechanical cables and fitted all the internal wires for the groupset. Not as simple and straight forward as I was hoping for and took approx. 3 hours in total.

The RD wire was a complete PITA as the entry and exit holes on the chain stay are only as wide as the plug on the Di2 wires and so there was a lot of hoking and poking to get the wire threaded through. In the end up I cut a length of brake cable and managed to fish it through, then tied a piece of fine string to it and pulled it back through and then tied the string to the Di2 wire and pulled it back through. That job alone took almost an hour!

The rest of the wires were simple and took a handful of minutes each. The wires on the handlebars were another PITA and took forever to get the done. I then temporarily taped all the wires to the frame/bars just in case one of them would slip/fall into the hole until i'm ready to plug everything in.

I also fitted the shifters which I spent another 30 minutes tweeking to get them both in the perfect position (there are no markings on the bars and so I had to measure, eyeball them) Lastly I fitted the brakes to the frame but haven't done the cables yet (they'll be the second last part of the build before the handlebar tape goes on)

Hopefully I'll finish it all at the weekend as the rest of the build (chainset, chain, cassette and brake cables) is fairly straight forward but i'll leave the whole plugging in and setting up the FD and RD to the following weekend as I don't want to rush anything and miss something important along the way and also I'm in no rush with it, this is my 'good' bike and so wouldn't be coming out till nearer the summer anyway.

I maintain that the R8050 groupset is the best cycling purchase I've made, the smoothness is unreal and the speed of the shift on the front derailleur is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

How much did the groupset cost on black friday?

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    How much did the groupset cost on black friday?

€963 + €10 delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Gave the bike a good wash and oiling before the club ride tomorrow. Was filthy after just getting a quick hose off over xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Recommissioned my eight year old Stevens Vicenza as a winter bike - been sitting in the shed for 2 years so a bit of tlc was required.

Two new tubes and gatorskins for a start. Serviced the campy brake calipers - both were sticking. New front brake pads. Adjusted rear derailleur and gave the chain and group set a wash and relube.

Tightened up a loose bottle cage. Checked headset and seat post torque. Good clean down and the old girl has scrubbed up well.

Last thing is a set of mudguards and she's good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Fitted the garmin 25 and ant+ cadence sensor to the bike yesterday evening. Im not the most tech savvy so it took me ages as i had to update software on the garmin. Class how it immediately updates to strava etc. It also has an option to choose indoor ride, how does that work if i dont have a smart turbo trainer?

My bike is currently stripped down in the shed. It was manky, i wouldnt mind it was spotless a few days ago but theres a huge amount of muck on the roads

Needed a new chain and cassette, considering a big ring, my lbs is getting me a price tomorrow. I've the crankset off and disassembled too. Going to wax the frame tomorrow.

Fitted the garmin 25 and ant+ cadence sensor to the bike yesterday evening. Im not the most tech savvy so it took me ages as i had to update software on the garmin. Class how it immediately updates to strava etc. It also has an option to choose indoor ride, how does that work if i dont have a smart turbo trainer?

You don't need one but you will need an ANT+ speed sensor on the rear wheel to record speed and distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Headset needed cleaning and greasing. Good excuse to break in the new ratchet

That ratchet probably cost more than my bike!

I stripped down half my bike the other day as the front mech wasn't shifting properly. Took it off and cleaned it up and then fitted a new cable. All good for 2 rides, now the left shifter keeps sticking over to the inside after a shift to the small ring. It did it months ago and a good clean and lube sorted it. Its happened twice in as many days now, so could be the start of more expense...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not the shifter itself is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

I made a sidecar for my dog. Rode about 25 km today with him in it. I'll paint it black soon.

6plmmuvl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I made a sidecar for my dog. Rode about 25 km today with him in it. I'll paint it black soon.

6plmmuvl.jpg

He won't be white some days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Strava can be useful sometimes. Rear tire is delaminating (tends to happen with these) - can easily see its done 5K KM from the gear page. Front has similar distance on it but is good for more.

Temp superglue measure applied until Sigma can deliver a replacement.

You're not supposed to paint dogs
    My bike is currently stripped down in the shed. It was manky, i wouldnt mind it was spotless a few days ago but theres a huge amount of muck on the roads

Needed a new chain and cassette, considering a big ring, my lbs is getting me a price tomorrow. I've the crankset off and disassembled too. Going to wax the frame tomorrow.

I've ended up taking this a bit further than planned, I have ordered new headset bearings, BB bearings, mine is PF30 so no bank breaking and an easy job.

Also bought two BBB alu jockey wheels with ceramic bearings.

So that's

Chain
    Cassette
    Headset bearings
    BB bearings
    All new brake pads
    Jockey wheels
    And everything cleaned to spotless levels.

Wheels gone in for servicing

The only thing I didn't change was brake cables which were done a short while ago and replaced with Jagwire items at the time.

I'm not around this weekend to reassemble but I'll do it over a couple of evenings next week.

Nothing left on the bike that will need replacing

I took my bike into a local shop to get a brake cable replaced (I'm away from home so have no tools). I had niggles with the headset and the gears and I knew the jockey wheels were worn, but:
    New chain
    New Cassette
    New rear mech
    New cables (inc brake)
    New headset
    Gear adjust.

Chainrings aren't looking too good and the left shifter is needing constant cleaning and lubing.

It's a 10 year old bike and so I need to source something newer I think. I had found a Rose I liked, but it's out of stock now..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Loving the matching DLC chain!
    I see they make an orange one which would suit my Orca perfectly. Are they worth the extra cost?

Got and fitted new chainrings today. Could have got them cheaper online, but as the LBS took them off a bike in the shop, I realised that you don’t have to remove the crank to replace the rings. I also needed them sooner than delivery would have taken.
    Whole new drivetrain now so should last me a while

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

6plmmuvl.jpg

While I think this is a wonderful idea, would it not be safer to put the sidecar on the left side side of the bike?

Loving the matching DLC chain!
    I see they make an orange one which would suit my Orca perfectly. Are they worth the extra cost?

I don't know yet!

The bike still isn't back together, I've not had a minute to myself. Spent most of the weekend just gone in a van, I left Dublin of Friday, sailed to Holyhead, drove to the NE of England and then back, arriving home in Dublin around 2am Sunday with a Honda CBR in the back of the van.

I don't know yet!

The bike still isn't back together, I've not had a minute to myself. Spent most of the weekend just gone in a van, I left Dublin of Friday, sailed to Holyhead, drove to the NE of England and then back, arriving home in Dublin around 2am Sunday with a Honda CBR in the back of the van.

Ha, all those minutes are to yourself. Wait till your weekend consists of stopping two young fella's (I have two boys) hockying the shïte out of each other with plastic light sabres :D

• Advertisement

Got a few minutes to myself this morning, chance to bust out the new blowtorch

503028.jpg

Judicious use of a hammer and drift pin, et voilà

503029.jpg

503030.jpg

Advertisement