Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sorry what I meant was I will tell my friend to make sure they take their time at the finish line and make sure they get scanned through correctly. Parkrun is a great activity for us to have and I obviously really appreciate the volunteers who make it possible.

I know not everyone runs with their phones (I do) so this may not be applicable to everyone but I always take a photo of my finish token before its scanned and taken from me.

It helps me and the parkrun RD should there be an issue with your finish name, position etc.

Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Wottle

A few pics from Marlay yesterday
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsmKDt1wD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Did a personal best today in Marley of 22.20, delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

I ran my first ever park run today, very enjoyable.

But one thing I realised , it was probably first time I ran without headphones or listening to something and I found it strange. Found I struggled as I felt I was listening more to my breathing and panting and almost felt tired as a result whereas usually my mind is occupied

Is this a normal thing for some people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tuff Gong

big_drive wrote: »
    Yes but u get used to it and I can control my breathing better when I can hear it. Listening to other people heavy breathing puts me off sometimes, but it's all part of it. Why don't you just wear your headfones.
    Congrats on your first Parkrun, first of many I hope.

• Advertisement

Tuff Gong wrote: »
    Yes but u get used to it and I can control my breathing better when I can hear it. Listening to other people heavy breathing puts me off sometimes, but it's all part of it. Why don't you just wear your headfones.
    Congrats on your first Parkrun, first of many I hope.

Thanks.
    I was thinking it might be bad manners or etiquette to use earphones? And not really the done thing

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I have a personal preference for not wearing earphones at parkrun - but a lot of people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

But one thing I realised , it was probably first time I ran without headphones or listening to something and I found it strange. Found I struggled as I felt I was listening more to my breathing and panting and almost felt tired as a result whereas usually my mind is occupied

Completely! I run much better when I'm listening to music (and to the "Zombies, Run!" running app!) than without. I use a small over-ear bluetooth pair because in-ear ones fall out on me every 500m or so :-) And I keep the volume low enough that I can hear other people overtaking me or marshals' instructions.

Thanks.
    I was thinking it might be bad manners or etiquette to use earphones? And not really the done thing

I think the majority of people listen to music during their parkrun run, I certainly do. I hate running or cycling without either music or a pod cast.

And I keep the volume low enough that I can hear other people overtaking me or marshals' instructions.

I was wondering why you weren't running faster when I was yelling at you

''run faster I want to go home something before lunch'' :D

I'll be back in two weeks. I haven't ran in two weeks due to inner thigh chafing which got infected and left me with an arse like a baboon's :o

Now my house and car are stinking of sudocrem.

Oh two weeks, I can't run this weekend and the volunteer list is full.

Myself and one of the lads I run and swim with are both one volunteer role off our 25th so we're holding off to do a double in Father Collins on Feb 1st :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Thanks.

It definitely looks strange when you see someone lining up at the front of a race, and even at the front of a parkrun, with headphones in.

Back in the pack less unusual, but on some courses and some event sizes you wouldn't be doing yourself any favours to be wearing headphones. If it's a wide and smooth path and no laps or out and back sections then won't make a whole lot of difference to anyone else, but throw in a few tree roots, muddy puddles, crowds, laps etc and being able to properly hear will make things a whole lot better.

Or if it happens to be a scenic route through the countryside with nice views and wildlife to see and hear and minimal other runners then try taking all that in instead. I always run my training with headphones in and listening to podcasts, but my post parkrun 19miler on Saturday for some reason despite wearing them I never actually turned them on for the three hours jogging up and down hills. Think I saw less than 10 people on the entire run, lots of horses and sheep, but was great to just take in the scenery and the run with no distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Yes it is normal. I used to be the same. I felt I needed earphones to distract me from overthinking my running, my breathing, my head saying stop etc. I also used to find that I felt I needed uptempo music to trick me into running faster. It really stemmed from running on my own. But now if I'm running with a crowd, I no longer use earphones. I acknowledge people as I pass them on the course. If I fall into pace with someone else and we may end up chatting. I think by me not wearing earphones at parkrun I'm more open to people. You get used to not wearing them and find yourself becoming more aware of your surroundings and your fellow parkrunners. As others have said, depending on the course it may be better from a health and safety point of view and also there might be some nice scenery to enjoy. My mind does wander though to what I'm having for my post parkrun breakfast...

I think the majority of people listen to music during their parkrun run, I certainly do. I hate running or cycling without either music or a pod cast.

Ya lots on Saturday had them on but I still wasn’t sure if this was regarded as appropriate etiquette

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Ya lots on Saturday had them on but I still wasn’t sure if this was regarded as appropriate etiquette

I think it's only an etiquette issue if it results in you not being aware of what's going on around you. e.g. people moving in to the path of a runner.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I think it's only an etiquette issue if it results in you not being aware of what's going on around you. e.g. people moving in to the path of a runner.

Yup. I've been at some races where the announcer pre-race has repeatedly said over a loudspeaker "No earphones, please, you need to be able to hear the marshals!" - despite everyone being drowned out by the organisers' canned feel-good music at the start of the course, where you're most likely to need to hear a marshal!

Those instructions get widely ignored, too!

At parkrun, it's grand!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I had to push a girl out of the way of an ambulance at a half in Killarney once as she obliviously blocked it and didn't hear it because of head phones.
    Personally I have never worn head phones running but I can see the attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I had to push a girl out of the way of an ambulance at a half in Killarney once as she obliviously blocked it and didn't hear it because of head phones.
    Personally I have never worn head phones running but I can see the attraction.

Same here, I once had to pull a guy out of the ambulance's way in Connemara, he obviously could not hear a thing and was completely oblivious to the fact that everyone had moved to the other side of the road.

I actually enjoy running much more without music, I found it just distracting and inevitably the headphones/cables/ipod starts irritating me and some point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

inevitably the headphones/cables/ipod starts irritating me and some point

These days a Spotify player is tiny and wireless earphones so its a lot smoother than it used to be.

I would always play music on easy and long runs when on my own. I would never wear them in a race, more so for the atmosphere than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I have a pair of Trekz Titaniums, these are bone conducting headphones that do not go over or in the ear. They allow you to hear your surroundings whilst listening to music etc. The sound may not be as high quality as conventional earphones, particularly for base, but they do mean that you can hear what is going on around you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Trekz headphones are awesome, but everyone should remember there is a difference between the sound reaching your ears and your brain registering it.

Anyone trying to get a kid to get ready for school in the morning should be well aware of that phenomenon. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Got the Aftershockz bone conducting headphones for my wife and was seriously impressed at the sound quality. I have the Jabra elites and, while excellent, I have to take one out if on back roads with no pavements, even tho they do have a hear-through function. On the other hand the Jabras are the ones for the gym so you don't have to be listening to whatever the gym chooses to pound out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Myksyk wrote: »
    Got the Aftershockz bone conducting headphones for my wife and was seriously impressed at the sound quality. I have the Jabra elites and, while excellent, I have to take one out if on back roads with no pavements, even tho they do have a hear-through function. On the other hand the Jabras are the ones for the gym so you don't have to be listening to whatever the gym chooses to pound out.

Aftershockz are very good except in windy weather or near a lot of traffic.
    Only use mine when in France or in the park

Aftershockz are very good except in windy weather or near a lot of traffic.
    Only use mine when in France or in the park
    Because there's no wind or traffic in France?
    ;)

Tuff Gong wrote: »
    Because there's no wind or traffic in France?
    ;)

No because where I run in France its pretty quiet and usually no wind during the 2 weeks we are there for the summer.

Did wexford parkrun today, the u-turns makes it that bit tougher on the hills. Time was disappointing but that's the first race of the year.

I'm on a beta blocker which is killing my runs so as an excuse for slow running I've been running parkruns with as much grass and trails as possible.

Ran St.Annes today where you can do just about the complete course on grass, wore my new trail shoes and had a blast but after 5k I felt like I was running in mud caked wellies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Hope you stayed for the tay.

The u turns cause you to lose some momentum. Hopefully back to a full loop soon.

Running tomorrow, so on the other end of the scanner for today.

Got an email there with a 20% discount for Contra gear due to the number of times I volunteered at parkrun last year, which is a nice touch. And there's free postage on orders all weekend.

Now, if I only needed more running gear... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Had a new course record at Ballincollig today, a speedy 15:33.

And then there's this as well - Shane Ross breaks fingers in fall at Marlay Park

From reading the article thankfully sounds like he's ok.

• Advertisement

Am I a terrible person for having a giggle to myself when I read about Ross earlier today.
    Can't stand him, turns out he's not very good at standing himself :)

I enjoyed volunteering myself today, lovely morning.
    Rest day before Raheny tomorrow!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement