Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culchie young wans aping the D4 accent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Ush1 wrote: »
    Get up the yard, yer all culchies to us.

For your own sake I suggest you lose the siege mentality and fortunately not all Dubliners think like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Vita nova wrote: »
    For your own sake I suggest you lose the siege mentality and fortunately not all Dubliners think like you.

The Dubs that do think like him have an inferiority complex going on and try to justify themselves by trying to make themselves feel more important than the majority. It’s just pure childish behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

swarlb wrote: »
    What's a 'bogger' then ?
    Somebody from the Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

John_Rambo wrote: »
    No, you misread my post. Read it again, and if you still don’t understand it like everyone else I’ll go in to further detail for you.

What did I misread? You replied to a post referencing someone from Dublin putting on a country accent.

You didn't mention where the cars were being sold or who was selling them hence I'm looking for clarification.

What siege mentality? I'm just telling it how it is.

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    The Dubs that do think like him have an inferiority complex going on and try to justify themselves by trying to make themselves feel more important than the majority. It’s just pure childish behavior.

There's no inferiority complex. It's just the way the vast majority of Dubs would reference people from outside of Dublin, apart from Nordies.

If I'm describing someone to another Dub and say they have a culchie accent, they know that's anywhere outside of Dublin. Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Kildare, etc...

What did I misread? You replied to a post referencing someone from Dublin putting on a country accent.

You didn't mention where the cars were being sold or who was selling them hence I'm looking for clarification.
    If you can't understand what he meant then maybe that explains some of your posts in this thread - try harder!
    What siege mentality? I'm just telling it how it is.
    Lumping everyone outside Dublin into one category and using a pejorative label for them, and seeing everything through a 'them and us' perspective.
    There's no inferiority complex. It's just the way the vast majority of Dubs would reference people from outside of Dublin, apart from Nordies.

If I'm describing someone to another Dub and say they have a culchie accent, they know that's anywhere outside of Dublin. Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Kildare, etc...
    No, that's the language of a narrow-minded insecure individual. Most Dubliners that I know would simply refer to a non Dublin accent as a non Dublin accent. RTE would also use that formulation or non Irish/local if the accent was from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 centralchill

My accent neutralised is just another way of saying "when I moved to Dublin I sold out"

I sold out? you must be joking pal, you can take the man out of mayo, but you can't take the mayo out of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

As said, nothing new, I was in secondery school in 1997 doing my leaving and this was about then too.
    The funny thing is though, I have a sister in law from Kilkenny, cousin from Meath, cousin from Dublin, cousing from Longford.
    And the girls all speak in exactly the same accent.
    The brothers though, have very different accents.

hmmmmm

If you can't understand what he meant then maybe that explains some of your posts in this thread - try harder!

Go ahead, enlighten me so. Should be interesting in light of this "siege mentality" you referenced.
    Lumping everyone outside Dublin into one category and using a pejorative label for them, and seeing everything through a 'them and us' perspective.

Who said it was pejorative? I'm saying its reality.
    No, that's the language of a narrow-minded insecure individual. Most Dubliners that I know would simply refer to a non Dublin accent as a non Dublin accent. RTE would also use that formulation or non Irish/local if the accent was from abroad.

How partisan and such "siege mentality" on show.:rolleyes:

You can do all the mental gymnastics you like, the fact remains that if I used the term culchie accent, they would know exactly what I meant. The fact you take offence to the term is irrelevant to how its common parlance and has a widely understood meaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You, and everyone else on the thread knows exactly what I meant. Stop being truculent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭bullpost

I was on a Dart recently listening to a few American girls talking. It took me a good while to cop that they were in fact from Dublin. Whats this thing with aping American accents?

bullpost wrote: »
    I was on a Dart recently listening to a few American girls talking. It took me a good while to cop that they were in fact from Dublin. Whats this thing with aping American accents?

From watching American TV Shows on Netflix.

I've presented my case perhaps more than anyone else in this thread, and it's obvious you're not for changing, so I'll leave you to your beliefs and just hope that you change them at some time in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Perifect wrote: »
    :D Now we're all laughing at Dubs who are the real culchies who think they're not!

Exactly.. its hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Should this not be in After Hours?

Somebody from the Midlands.

Living on wettish land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Personally, if someone is that bothered by how someone else speaks or their accent, it says more about the person being bothered than the person with the supposedly put on accent. I can't help but think someone must have an inferiority complex if they are annoyed by someone else speaking in a more cultured or seemingly put on accent. If you feel they think they are somehow better than you because they talk "posher", then that sound more like projection of your own inferiority complex.

FYI - David Norris or other similar sounding Irish people are not putting on an accent. That is exactly how he and a certain cohort of Irish people speak and is known as an Anglo Irish accent. See more information on it below. You or I would speak similarly if we were brought up in the same environment/surroundings/families where that accent was spoken.

http://dialectblog.com/2011/02/02/dublin-a-tale-of-two-accents/

I'm a culchie and proud of it but I now live in Dublin. Therefore if a Dub calls me a culchie, I take it as a compliment....however if I was ashamed or felt inferior about being a culchie, then of course I'd take offence with being called one.....as quite a few on here seem to be, based on their responses/reactions/defensiveness....Same goes for Dubs or other urbanites who spout superiority through name-calling (if you are comfortable in your own skins, you don't need to resort to belittling others)

From watching American TV Shows on Netflix.

Nonsense plenty American tv shows on since Rte began and no one ever developed an American accent from them. It’s just put on.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You, and everyone else on the thread knows exactly what I meant. Stop being truculent.

I'm being truculent? I asked for clarification for what you meant. A minute ago you said you were going to explain your post to me?:confused:

So was your post hinting that country people don't trust Dubs? I'm afraid I didn't know exactly what you meant, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

• Advertisement

I've presented my case perhaps more than anyone else in this thread, and it's obvious you're not for changing, so I'll leave you to your beliefs and just hope that you change them at some time in the future.

What are the beliefs I should change? That the word culchie refers to someone from outside of Dublin? I will find it hard to make that word mean anything else when I hear it to be honest.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Personally, if someone is that bothered by how someone else speaks or their accent, it says more about the person being bothered than the person with the supposedly put on accent. I can't help but think someone must have an inferiority complex if they are annoyed by someone else speaking in a more cultured or seemingly put on accent. If you feel they think they are somehow better than you because they talk "posher", then that sound more like projection of your own inferiority complex.

FYI - David Norris or other similar sounding Irish people are not putting on an accent. That is exactly how he and a certain cohort of Irish people speak and is known as an Anglo Irish accent. See more information on it below. You or I would speak similarly if we were brought up in the same environment/surroundings/families where that accent was spoken.

I'm a culchie and proud of it but I now live in Dublin. Therefore if a Dub calls me a culchie, I take it as a compliment....however if I was ashamed or felt inferior about being a culchie, then of course I'd take offence with being called one.....as quite a few on here seem to be, based on their responses/reactions/defensiveness....Same goes for Dubs or other urbanites who spout superiority through name-calling (if you are comfortable in your own skins, you don't need to resort to belittling others)

Actually it’s the opposite if someone changes their accent because they are ashamed of their original accent they are the ones with the inferiority complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's not new. This has been going on for many a year.

Correct, going on since at least 1990, listening to too much RTE

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Nonsense plenty American tv shows on since Rte began and no one ever developed an American accent from them. It’s just put on.

Yeah I know it's put on that's obvious.

I was just using Netflix as an example, American Culture as a whole has a huge influence on us, that's the reason why they choose that one.

There is a reason people don't speak in Australian accents after watching Neighbours or home and away on RTE.

ongarboy wrote: »

Agree with most of your post but I don't think people find it funny or annoying by how David Norris speaks as we know that's actually how he was raised and it's his "true" accent.

It's more people trying to disguise where they are from or have some weird hang-ups about it. Nothing wrong with being a culchie, both my parents are.

If I get called a jackeen in Cork it's no skin off my nose, I sure as f*ck won't be changing my accent to suit anybody while I'm down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This is a global cultural phenomenon and is as old as the hills. Globalisation and urbanisation is increasing the pace though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm being truculent? I asked for clarification for what you meant. A minute ago you said you were going to explain your post to me?:confused:

So was your post hinting that country people don't trust Dubs? I'm afraid I didn't know exactly what you meant, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

Ok. Yeah, a lot of rural people would view city people as untrustworthy. It’s a barstool attitude, but it prevails in media and in real life, New Yorkers, Londoners, Dubliners, Parisians etc… would be considered “shifty” or more likely to scam people by their rural country fellow.

Recently I was buying a particular vehicle. On occasions when I said I was from somewhere other than Dublin I felt I got a warmer reception and an eagerness to do business with than when I said I was from Dublin. On one occasion I was told by the seller that they’d rather not deal with Dubliners, but I seemed ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I sold out? you must be joking pal, you can take the man out of mayo, but you can't take the mayo out of a man.

and you can't get the Sam Maguire into Mayo no matter how hard you try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

serfboard wrote: »
    It was in relation to David Norris' accent.

It was pointed out that David Norris' accent was posh. Malcom MacArthur, who had a similar kind of accent, had his described, by those who were seeking him for a murder, and who therefore would have had to be as accurate as possible, as "Upper-Class Dublin to English".

And what is an Upper-Class Dublin accent only a bastardisation of an Upper-Class English accent (and it's not just the Irish who do this - the Upper-Class Scots are the same).

And what is a D4 accent only a bastardisation of an American accent, caused by young children watching too many American television programmes.

That's the same thing as what I said. David Norris doesn't have a D4 accent.

• Advertisement

and you can't get the Sam Maguire into Mayo no matter how hard you try.

Sam Maguire? Who is that? I've never seen or heard of him before :P

Advertisement