Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culchie young wans aping the D4 accent

Options
  • 07-02-2019 7:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

WTF is up with this... I've noticed it more and more. Young women from the back of beyond down somewhere around Connemara.....they get a place on a UCD course, and all of a sudden the Healy Rae native dialects are dropped for a voiceover that would give Harry Enfield's 'Tim-nice-but-dim" character a run for his money.

Was having a cup of coffee earlier and noticed it. Two young wans chattering away. My sense of reasoning told me that these two young ladies where from the posher leafier parts of the Big Smoke.

But not at all.....talk of the home in Mayo come up. A tad confused I was.

Call me old fashioned, but I like my culchies to be humble and to consider a €20 note spent at Supermacs to be the height of sophistication.

What is with this new breed of pretensious culchie and all their airs and graces after a stint with Dublin university life?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

It's not new. This has been going on for many a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Do you even know what a culchie is? And what a Jackeen is?

Without googling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

myshirt wrote: »
    Do you even know what a culchie is? And what a Jackeen is?

Without googling it.

Why wouldn't I

DS86DS wrote: »
    Why wouldn't I

What is it then? Without googling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Nobody in their right mind would fake a Dub accent, OP you need to get your ears seen to.

• Advertisement

What is it then? Without googling it.

Googling what? I'm talking about firsthand experience.

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Nobody in their right mind would fake a Dub accent, OP you need to get your ears seen to.

Not exactly talking about a Ronnie Drew sound-a-like.......... moreso the D4 toff impersonation variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Your old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

And when they do a J1 they’ll come back with an American accent, who cares.

Googling what? I'm talking about firsthand experience.

You're embarrassing yourself. And a lot of Dubs embarrass themselves when they use the word culchie not even knowing what it actually means.

What if I told you the most purebred culchies are actually Dubs. Did you know that?

I even had a look at Wikipedia of all places just there, just to make sure I wasn't being too hard on you on your own country's history. Right there at your fingertips, albeit with a couple of inaccuracies. Bit it's your own man Diarmuid Ferriter who can give you the history. So you're either an idiot, or you're not a true Dub yourself if you use it.

The origins of the word has a link to Irish people serveing rich English occupying Ireland. The word was used to mock the Irish for their pronounciation of back of the house "cul an ti", which is how Irish people had to enter an English persons house. Most of these Irish occupied (and still do) what is now the North Inner city but also parts of the South Inner city. A Dublin person is shocked to know that the most
    purebred culchie is actually a Dub. It's correct that later into the development of the word when economic growth began emerging people came from the countryside to Dublin for work, and what developed was that some people got on well in their jobs and tried to disassociate themselves from their fellow Irish. These became known as Jackeens or "Little Jack's" in reference to the Union Jack. Like Roisin means little rose. The lucky Jackeens mostly lived in parts of South County Dublin and along the coast with their English friends, but there was infighting amongst the most ethnically Irish (North Inner City Dubs) and those who "betrayed" their own by taking an extra shilling off the English, and it's on the back of that you still see the terms remain ironically in the people themselves that it was inflicted upon.

I'm from Limerick City by the way, for disclosure. Probably still a culchie in the eyes of a Dub though.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,291 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The D4 accent is fake put-on accent already, so if it's good enough for dubs it's good enough for culchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Not exactly talking about a Ronnie Drew sound-a-like.......... moreso the D4 toff impersonation variety.

Ahh, roight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I laughed at two SCD students on their way home from the pub. They sounded like people trying to parody the D4 accent.

I dispair at the culchie young wan thing the OP mentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Myshirt, your describing the origin of these words and their initial meaning. The beauty of language is it evolves over time. Any Dub, true or not, will tell you a culchie is anyone from outside of Dublin, excluding the Northies of course, they are their own special thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

The history lesson above is pointless. A culchie is any Irish person not from Dublin

The history lesson above is pointless. A culchie is any Irish person not from Dublin

Except Nordies

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Was thinking that myself when I wrote it. Are Nordies a subset or a separate entity. Need a Venn diagram

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

and anyone that has a problem with it is probably a culchie anyway :pac:

What do you call all the Dubs living in Naas, Johnstown Navan, Drogheda, Bray etc cos they can't afford to live in their own county? How do Dubs feel about the fact that economic growth in Dublin was mostly driven by Cork people, Kildare people, and those of English origin on Dublin coast?

When I moved to Dublin I always thought a culchie was someone outside Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, i.e someone rural rural. Accept now that we're all culchies!

Just find it ironic that the most purebred culchie is actually a Dub, but it's the purebred culchie that uses the term the most. Language and meaning develops over time, it's interesting it developed this way. All I'm saying in conclusion is we are all Irish for fork sake. Bar Leitrim, I view us all on an equal footing.

But I guess it's a Dub thing, I wouldn't bleedin' gerrih!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

WTF is up with this... I've noticed it more and more. Young women from the back of beyond down somewhere around Connemara.....they get a place on a UCD course, and all of a sudden the Healy Rae native dialects are dropped for a voiceover that would give Harry Enfield's 'Tim-nice-but-dim" character a run for his money.

Was having a cup of coffee earlier and noticed it. Two young wans chattering away. My sense of reasoning told me that these two young ladies where from the posher leafier parts of the Big Smoke.

But not at all.....talk of the home in Mayo come up. A tad confused I was.

Call me old fashioned, but I like my culchies to be humble and to consider a €20 note spent at Supermacs to be the height of sophistication.

What is with this new breed of pretensious culchie and all their airs and graces after a stint with Dublin university life?

So what? It's in some way less annoying for Jackeens, D4 young wans?

Translation: I'm trolling and/or D4 city young wans are more sophisticated, important than country girls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Was thinking that myself when I wrote it. Are Nordies a subset or a separate entity. Need a Venn diagram

In NI, culchie refers to people from outside Belfast

In NI, culchie refers to people from outside Belfast

It's the same history. Belfast was the richest part of Ireland for a long time, a lot of English houses needed cleaning by us inbred backward reprobate Irish. Belfast is nearly a basket case now in comparison to Dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Why in god's name would someone want to put on an accent like that marble in the mouth bollocks, it's the most put on voice and it's now generational, so it's a real accent now.

South Dubliners didn't sound like that in the 60's, where did it come from at all?

Beverly Hills, California

What do you call all the Dubs living in Naas, Johnstown Navan, Drogheda, Bray etc cos they can't afford to live in their own county? How do Dubs feel about the fact that economic growth in Dublin was mostly driven by Cork people, Kildare people, and those of English origin on Dublin coast?

When I moved to Dublin I always thought a culchie was someone outside Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, i.e someone rural rural. Accept now that we're all culchies!

Just find it ironic that the most purebred culchie is actually a Dub, but it's the purebred culchie that uses the term the most. Language and meaning develops over time, it's interesting it developed this way. All I'm saying in conclusion is we are all Irish for fork sake. Bar Leitrim, I view us all on an equal footing.

But I guess it's a Dub thing, I wouldn't bleedin' gerrih!

The words use and meaning has moved on, it’s no big deal.
    We’re not that bothered about the issues you have with us so you probably shouldn’t let it worry you.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭ArrBee

would Rachel Allen be an example of these "young" wans putting on a posh accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

:D It's clear that the fact that the Dubs are both culchies and jackeens has hurt them badly. Now they can be referred to as culchie jacks!

Perifect wrote: »
    :D It's clear that the fact that the Dubs are both culchies and jackeens has hurt them badly. Now they can be referred to as culchie jacks!

Even the Jackeens thing has moved on with the like of the footballers being referred to as the Jacks and the ladies footballers as the Jackie’s. The language and it’s use evolves. Just like the N word has for lots of black Americans. I doubt too many people from outside Dublin are actually insulted by the word culchie. I know people who have say a brother married and living in places like Naas who refer to their nephews and nieces as the culchie cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

What's a 'bogger' then ? A cross between a culchie and a jackeen ?
    What is a person from Galway marries a person from Dublin, are their kids jackeens or culchies or boggers... or does it depend where they live...
    Some accents are godamn awful sounding anyway, it's no wonder people want to mimic something different...
    It's all so confusing...

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Vita nova

That's more of a Dubliner's definition and in fairness it's not all Dubliners'. A more general Irish definition is that it's a term for a rural dweller and would be regarded by many as pejorative especially when used by an urban dweller.

Some definitions of culchie:
    Google: "an unsophisticated country person"
    Oxford English Dictionary (OED): "one who lives in, or comes from, a rural area; a (simple) countryman (or woman), a provincial, a rustic"
    Dicitionary.com: "a rough or unsophisticated country-dweller from outside Dublin"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

I know people who are from fairly backward places who have quite distinctive accents.
    My cousin's live in Ballyheigue but they've quite easy listening accents.
    Not very Kerry attal.

It's a strange place, on one hand you've people there sounding very eloquent, on the other it's bdann bdann yeramacka stitgiges pdendra schmachaa pederachakka smachakkkahh killacha bdderammahaa yekera belekkra....

I knew a guy from Ballyduff Jerry was his name, he had one of the most refined Irish accents I ever heard West of the Shannon...

He could understand yekkerah and English...

It's easy enough to understand Kerry yekkerah Clare Yekkerah and Glasgow Yekkerah any yekkerah

Advertisement