Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Hurling League 2019 Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Straight promotion and relegation. Carlow came back from something like 8/9 points to beat Offaly so latter are relegated. Wind must have been huge factor in all the midlands games judging by the turnaround.

We were 12 points down at 1 stage. 11 down at ht 1-11 to 0-3, had a man sent off too after 10 minutes!
    Amazing comeback, to play almost entire game with 14 men away from home and come back from 12 points down is seriously impressive. Of course the wind helped, it was very strong but the fight and spirit the Carlow lads showed was amazing.
    Was huge for us to stay in 1B, as Colm Bonnar said after it would have been impossible to motivate the team for 2A next year and he wouldn't have stayed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'd say limerick will bring a big crowd to the semi in 2 weeks time. If they make it to the final will they get home advantage like kilkenny did last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I'd say limerick will bring a big crowd to the semi in 2 weeks time. If they make it to the final will they get home advantage like kilkenny did last year?

What would be the basis for Limerick getting home advantage? Kilkenny got home advantage last year as part of a home/away arrangement they had with their opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Shane Bennett/Jamie Barron ‘side line’ technique......highlights program last night gave particular attention to this......Bennett gave the ball the slightest of touches and ran off with head down Barron came in and picked it up and had a free shot at target which he duly put over the bar....Will this become a regular thing now or will it remain a ‘one off’.....as all coaches/managers will from now on have their players too well aware of it....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Shane Bennett/Jamie Barron ‘side line’ technique......highlights program last night gave particular attention to this......Bennett gave the ball the slightest of touches and ran off with head down Barron came in and picked it up and had a free shot at target which he duly put over the bar....Will this become a regular thing now or will it remain a ‘one off’.....as all coaches/managers will from now on have their players too well aware of it....?

Was that when Waterford were playing against the wind? Firing a sideline Into a gale makes zero sense!

Saw some reference by Galway people to Waterford's cuteness in line with the elements whereas Galway persisted with long ball.

• Advertisement

Was that when Waterford were playing against the wind? Firing a sideline Into a gale makes zero sense!

Saw some reference by Galway people to Waterford's cuteness in line with the elements whereas Galway persisted with long ball.

No second half playing with wind

Must get a look at that.

Clever tactic but limited life span you would imagine once others are aware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

it was illegal as Barron wasn't 13m away when the ball was touched.
    I can see a rule change if it becomes a regular thing

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    it was illegal as Barron wasn't 13m away when the ball was touched.
    I can see a rule change if it becomes a regular thing

I take it you had your ‘ruler’ with you at the ground so as to be so sure the 13m wasn’t breached....?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Must get a look at that.

Clever tactic but limited life span you would imagine once others are aware of it.

On the basis of that incident yesterday, if that was to happen again, cathal mannion would have been free to pick up the ball uncontested. He didn't realise what Waterford were doing (tbf, it's not something you'd automatically think of) but would be wise to it in the future.

Clever thinking by Waterford, but I'd be very surprised if it becomes a 'thing' as opponents have now been put on guard for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Duignan had a right go at Donal Og on Twitter last night, could have put his job in jeopardy.

Mind boggling that the GAA have decided to put every single hurling game against the Rugby.

You'd want to be crazy to attend the football games given even less is at stake.

They could have put all the games on at 12pm and let everyone have a realistic chance of seeing the rugby, since Ireland are in theory, in with a shot of winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭shockframe

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Duignan had a right go at Donal Og on Twitter last night, could have put his job in jeopardy.

Offaly should be glad that Cusack went against the grain.

Was a bit harsh that there wasn't anyone from Offaly to debate it but attacking Donal Og is playing the man and not the ball.

Anytime Offaly has been mentioned the last 10 years the pundits revert straight to cliches of 'oh isnt it sad that Offaly has faded', 'great traditional county', 'great hurling men up there'.

Sometimes a counter argument is necessary and in this case hammering home a few home truths might be better for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I find the offaly fellas to be great Pundits.

They been critical of Cork too and much I have agreed with, but I find if you say anything negative about Offaly they round up and get personal.

all the ex offaly players are great to preach

I take it you had your ‘ruler’ with you at the ground so as to be so sure the 13m wasn’t breached....?

either enforce the rules, or get rid of the rule book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That Offaly stuff always wrecked my head. If you want to stay in Leinster, won more games and don't finish bottom. If you want to stay in division 1, win more games and don't finish in the relegation places. And certainly don't throw away a big lead in a relegation playoff.

shockframe wrote: »
    Offaly should be glad that Cusack went against the grain.

Was a bit harsh that there wasn't anyone from Offaly to debate it but attacking Donal Og is playing the man and not the ball.

Anytime Offaly has been mentioned the last 10 years the pundits revert straight to cliches of 'oh isnt it sad that Offaly has faded', 'great traditional county', 'great hurling men up there'.

Sometimes a counter argument is necessary and in this case hammering home a few home truths might be better for them.

Thought Cusack was being harsh initially, but the more I thought about it, the more he made sense. The graph/analysis that he done on league Sunday last night highlighted what we've known for years. Offaly ate simply not producing underage talent of a required standard to be competitive.

Until their county board starts putting the work into underage teams in Offaly (large or small pick is irrelevant imo) then they will continue to slide. Carlow have put in work underage - granted they're not going to win Liam McCarthy anytime soon, but they are getting tangeable results. Same with westmeath.

It's an inditement of successive county boards in offaly that they've let it get to this stage. Quiet frankly, it will probably get worse before it gets better.

Mind boggling that the GAA have decided to put every single hurling game against the Rugby.

You'd want to be crazy to attend the football games given even less is at stake.

They could have put all the games on at 12pm and let everyone have a realistic chance of seeing the rugby, since Ireland are in theory, in with a shot of winning it.

I'd only watch if I thought Wales were going to beat them, personally :)

I'd say Deighnan was reacting emotionally, as I've heard him make similar criticisms of Offaly himself.

Must hurt himself and others to see them fall back so far. I remember when we won 21s Leinster final beating them in a brilliant game in packed Parnell in 2006, and it was biggest achievement in Dublin hurling for 40 years.

Now, no-one including most of the teams in McDonagh and 2A would lose any sleep over facing them. Sad really. Offaly chap of my acquaintance attributes some of it to the success of Birr in the last decade as Birr more or less- a bit like Crossmaglen - ignored the county sides.

• Advertisement

I'd only watch if I thought Wales were going to beat them, personally :)

Apparently that stops England winning though so you'll end up with happy rugger buggers either way, which is never good.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

That Offaly stuff always wrecked my head. If you want to stay in Leinster, won more games and don't finish bottom. If you want to stay in division 1, win more games and don't finish in the relegation places. And certainly don't throw away a big lead in a relegation playoff.

To be fair, like all games yesterday, with the gale force wind it was always going to be a game of two halves. Albeit the fact they played against 14 men for 60 odd minutes is not a great reflection of either the players or the management of seeking the benefit of the numerical advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,882 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could be a number of cancellations tomorrow with the weather

Rumours whatever game/games are postponed will be played on Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could be a number of cancellations tomorrow with the weather

Rumours whatever game/games are postponed will be played on Monday

Limerick played Clare in the 1/4 final last year on the Monday. That was the famous game that went to a free taking shootout.

No games called off so far it seems.

Was out with the wolves. Not a hurling day, it can be safely said.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

I think the ref in this game has made up his mind he is going to give Galway every free going and give Wexford nothing

conor05 wrote: »
    I think the ref in this game has made up his mind he is going to give Galway every free going and give Wexford nothing

Are you from Wexford?

Edit - panic over, he's given Wexford a free just now. Can't believe it's the first they've got after 23 minutes.

Are you from Wexford?

Edit - panic over, he's given Wexford a free just now. Can't believe it's the first they've got after 23 minutes.

What county I am from is irrelevant.

The second part of your post was relevant, well done!

Whoevers coaching our forwards needs to be sent packing.

We're an absolute shambles with the ball, never get balls played to their advantage and when a hard ball is won up there the movement and decision making is dreadful.

We get caught in 1v1s with plenty of space in our backline then.

2017 seems a life time away now as we're watching over a year of this crap now.

Playing a gale for the second week in the first half and still struggling.

• Advertisement

conor05 wrote: »
    What county I am from is irrelevant.

The second part of your post was relevant, well done!

I'll take that as a yes then. Everyone always thinks that when their own team are playing and it's never true all those times, same as it's not true now.

Wexford should be well up at halftime - some of the frees that they gave away were stupid tbh. Now, I think galway got a few soft frees as well.

Wexford's first goal was very soft - that Galway full back line looks very suspect tbh. Galway forwards are not at the races at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Whoevers coaching our forwards needs to be sent packing.

Francis Forde is our forwards coach. Galway supporters would Know that.

Francis Forde is our forwards coach. Galway supporters would Know that.

I know who the forwards coach is but that doesn't mean he's exclusively coaching them.
    Didn't C.Cooney say Donaghy was helping on movement.

Any sports supporter would know that.

I know who the forwards coach is but that doesn't mean he's exclusively coaching them. Didn't C.Cooney say Donaghy was helping on movement.

Why ask who the coach was if you already knew?

Why ask who the coach was if you already knew?

Go back and read what I said... I didnt ask who the forwards coach is, I said who's coaching the forwards.
    There's a difference between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

11/13 points for Galway were frees. Canning with 12 of Galways 13. I'd be dissapointed if Wexford can't push on in the second half and get the win here

Go back and read what I said... I didnt ask who the forwards coach is, I said who's coaching the forwards. There's a difference between the two.

Still don't read it that way but fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

11/13 points for Galway were frees. Canning with 12 of Galways 13. I'd be dissapointed if Wexford can't push on in the second half and get the win here

Great to see Wexford being punished for their systematic fouling

Much better effort already.

Looks like they might had their first "hairdryer teamtalk" in a while at HT.

Spectacular surrender by the Wexicans. Three points in over half an hour?

• Advertisement

Much better effort already.

Looks like they might had their first "hairdryer teamtalk" in a while at HT.

We better keep the forwards coach another while and see so ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

That's the worst half of hurling I have ever seen from Wexford. Fair play Galway.

Great display by galway in the second half against the breeze. Donohue must have read them the riot act at halftime as they upped it big time in the second half.

Wexford went route one in the second half which was going to suit McInerney all day long.

Wexford were 8/11 with the wind to come!

How can Wexford go from beating Kilkenny by 7points last week to losing by 10 to Galway today?

That second display won’t do for championship at all.

2020 divisions confirmed

Grp A
    Limerick
    Tipp
    Cork
    Galway
    Waterford
    Westmeath

Grp B
    Wexford
    Clare
    Kilkenny
    Dublin
    Laois
    Carlow

Gotta feel for WestMeath...

bit of a shock Dublin beating Tipp

semi finals
    Limerick vs Dublin
    Waterford vs Galway

looks like double header in Thurles but on sunday 24th Mar its Tipp vs CLare in the football there at 2pm. Could a Saturday double header be an option ???

Sat 23rd double header it looks like now for the semis with the football results today as Sunday 24th will be do or die in the football and tg4 will want too cover the important games

Only time in living memory Dublin have beaten Tipp in Thurles.

Shipped some hidings there over the years so, if only for slightly redressing that, heroes all!

Makings of a good team. Next week against a Limerick team that seems to be intent on not letting any fker stand in their way be true test.

Can't wait!

• Advertisement
Advertisement