Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Charlie69

This thread is gone to s**te.... thought there might be some discussion about the game on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

Really? I remember him stalking the Kilkenny full back line like a cheetah in the Serengheti back in the 2010 final where he filled his belly with warm Kilkenny meat. Mm nice meal.

Funny though how no-one seems to remember Tyrrell and Hickey between them giving him an absolute mauling the year after holding him scoreless. Not so much a nice meal though, more like the most sweetest of desserts.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Never had Lar down as a dirty hurler who struck anyone in the nuts or anywhere else.

I could never see what happened then either, but we are all capable of being out of character at times through frustration or anger or whatever so we have to accept that this can and does happen.

We often hear the pundits say about a particular player pulling a dirty stroke that "he was never noted to be that type of player", and I always think, but he is now!;)

Anyway, as you say, I would never say that either of those guys were dirty or dishonest in their county playing careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Comerman

Charlie69 wrote: »
    This thread is gone to s**te.... thought there might be some discussion about the game on here... some posters need to grow up.
    I just wish genuine hurling/Kilkenny fans would stop taking the bait and have a proper discussion about the game ahead and fkuc up with the "na naney na" ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Have a funny feeling Hue Lawlor is going to be destroyed by Callinan.

Callinan is great odds for MOTM and HOTY double.

It's a fair concern to raise alright. A young fullback in his debut season against a 3 time All Star in the form of his life. It will be interesting to see what plan Cody has for Callanan. Does he aim to limit the supply and space by moving the lines back a bit? It will be one of the duels that will have a massive bearing on the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

I think cody will trust huw.he has allways said if I pick them I trust them.cant wait for this.if we win what a yearit will be.also lets hope camogie can see off tipp on saturday and minors can get the ball rolling on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    It's a fair concern to raise alright. A young fullback in his debut season against a 3 time All Star in the form of his life. It will be interesting to see what plan Cody has for Callanan. Does he aim to limit the supply and space by moving the lines back a bit? It will be one of the duels that will have a massive bearing on the result.

I am fairly sure you will see the full and half back lines compress the space on Sunday. We won't be drawn out the field like we were in 2016 allowing the tipp forwards go to town. It will be more of the same like the Limerick game. Tipp won't get in for easy goals Cody will have learned from 2016. The game in my opinion will be won or lost on how our half forwards go against the tipp half back line. If Donnelly Wally andTJ can win that battle Kilkenny are on the way to number 37 🙂 I also expect Conor brown to man Mark Noel McGrath to try and nullify his influence on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

I'd say your own county would be in uproar if a similiar chapter in a book insulted ye like that. Without a doubt id say. Tipp didn't make a big deal of it but it was a disgrace.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Have a funny feeling Hue Lawlor is going to be destroyed by Callinan.

Callinan is great odds for MOTM and HOTY double.

Have a funny feeling Hue Lawlor will be MOTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Village87

Very close game ahead Sunday. Very hard to call. The match ups will be interesting, will Brendan Maher pick TJ. Will Padraic Maher pick up Wally. Will Joey Holden pick up John Mcgrath. Who will pick up Noel Mcgrath. Noel Mcgrath could have a very big impact on this game, if browne is picking him up and noel drops back to his own half back line it might leave Kilkennys backs very open. Will Buckley,James Maher or Leahy start beside him? Hard one to call. Early exchanges will be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Just listened to the Newstalk off the ball podcast with Tommy Walsh and Shane McGrath from a few days ago.... massive mutual respect between the players of that era, well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Just listened to the Newstalk off the ball podcast with Tommy Walsh and Shane McGrath from a few days ago.... massive mutual respect between the players of that era, well worth a listen.

Heard it few days ago. Nice piece. The players from both sides of this great Kilkenny v Tipp rivalry have good time for each other off the field. Good to see. A mutual respect. Well bar Jackie maybe ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Mc grath and corbett have both gone for tipp.(great omen as they went for cork and limerick)corbett was a given but mcgrath fir me just doesnt like us.hope rte keep mc grath and cusack away from our screens on sunday as they no nothing about real hurling.put them on the history channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Have to say I was more confident going into the last 2 games.
    The tip forwards when they fire can put up a score.
    Their half forward line is probably their Achilles heel.if we can start
    To get on top their it will sett us up.bonner is a massive loss as a ball winner.if Browne can get to grips with mcgrath .I could see us winning our positions across the half backs and win one position in midfield and break even on the other. Get wally on Brendan Maher (all though I herd he is going in on barrett)definitely keep him away from parhic. He is just to strong in the air ,get it on the ground and turn him .ronan Maher could be fullback which I think will help Kilkenny .Hogan could turn up on the halfforward line and he could unlock tipps fullback line with clever ball.
    We will cause them problems but seamie will take some holding jj at his best was still conceding 5or6 pts.with better corner backs than Lawler will have .
    He will have to be starved of possession and force him out the field.
    We done that well against limerick in the second half.
    Jake Morris will make a impact when they spring him he should have had 1.1 in 5 minutes against wexford.
    The way we dealt with their halfforwards in the league final last year
    And the manner in which limerick bullied them in the Munster final is leaning me in our favour. But we will have to bring the same level of physicality as we did against limerick.
    Our minors have improved 10lengths in horse racing terms and could give us the perfect start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Mc grath and corbett have both gone for tipp.(great omen as they went for cork and limerick)corbett was a given but mcgrath fir me just doesnt like us.hope rte keep mc grath and cusack away from our screens on sunday as they no nothing about real hurling.put them on the history channel.

McGrath has nothing but respect and admiration for Kilkenny hurling. Slightly in awe i would have felt over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

SteJer wrote: »
    Boo Hoo!! I'm sure grown men can take a few insults. At least Jackie never ruined a players career by inflicting a devastating finger injury like Padraic Maher did to Michael Rice in 2012.

Jackie said paudie maher was one of the men that stood up to kilkenny always so he clearly didn't think it was meant as a career inflicting injury, wild yes but to say paudie maher meant to end his career is laughable.

Have a funny feeling Hue Lawlor will be MOTM

Thats certainly a funny feeling alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Jackie said paudie maher was one of the men that stood up to kilkenny always so he clearly didn't think it was meant as a career inflicting injury, wild yes but to say paudie maher meant to end his career is laughable.

If you read my comment properly you will notice I didn’t say Maher meant to end a player’s career with his wild pull. However, now that you say it I’m wondering if this might in fact be the case. We’ll never know for sure. What we do know is Michael Rice has never been able to bend his finger properly since the attack and won’t for the rest of his life. His hurling career effectively ended with that attack from Maher.

SteJer wrote: »
    If you read my comment properly you will notice I didn’t say Maher meant to end a player’s career with his wild pull. However, now that you say it I’m wondering if this might in fact be the case. We’ll never know for sure. What we do know is Michael Rice has never been able to bend his finger properly since the attack and won’t for the rest of his life. His hurling career effectively ended with that attack from Maher.

Im glad my words have such an effect on you that now you are wondering about paudie mahers attack as you call it, laughable some of the kilkenny lads on here.

As i said, ye're embarrassing yereselves. Enjoy your bitterness and hatred. Hope it doesn't eat ye up.

It's not really bitterness or hatred it's hurling people Ponting out a couple
    Of over the top tackles.
    I prefer to think of the day Michael fennelly embarrassed him in Nowlan park
    Or eddie Brennan exposing his lack of mobility in 11
    Or mossy keoghan in the league final last year all lads who ran at him.
    And I know it's wiped from the memory now because wexford blew up
    And ye got over the line.
    But everyone could see he actually stopped chasing back in the first half
    Against wexford .
    I'm hopeful Ronan will go into fullback and he has to go to 6. Then tj can
    Bring him on his final tour of croke park.

• Advertisement

Yeah ye have to run at him, as jackie said in his book tipp running around was because tipp were afraid to engage, so going by jackies logic,kilkenny players you hope will run so essentially not engage in a physical battle with maher, wise move to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

As i said, ye're embarrassing yereselves. Enjoy your bitterness and hatred. Hope it doesn't eat ye up.

I'm only interested in the facts. I gave you the evidence to back up what I said.

IF you have some alternative case to make as to why he should not have been sent off, or to explain his lunatic behaviour on that day, then please do so.

Your very unsophisticated remarks don't affect the quality of my life one iota.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Have to say I was more confident going into the last 2 games.
    The tip forwards when they fire can put up a score.
    Their half forward line is probably their Achilles heel.if we can start
    To get on top their it will sett us up.bonner is a massive loss as a ball winner.if Browne can get to grips with mcgrath .I could see us winning our positions across the half backs and win one position in midfield and break even on the other. Get wally on Brendan Maher (all though I herd he is going in on barrett)definitely keep him away from parhic. He is just to strong in the air ,get it on the ground and turn him .ronan Maher could be fullback which I think will help Kilkenny .Hogan could turn up on the halfforward line and he could unlock tipps fullback line with clever ball.
    We will cause them problems but seamie will take some holding jj at his best was still conceding 5or6 pts.with better corner backs than Lawler will have .
    He will have to be starved of possession and force him out the field.
    We done that well against limerick in the second half.
    Jake Morris will make a impact when they spring him he should have had 1.1 in 5 minutes against wexford.
    The way we dealt with their halfforwards in the league final last year
    And the manner in which limerick bullied them in the Munster final is leaning me in our favour. But we will have to bring the same level of physicality as we did against limerick.
    Our minors have improved 10lengths in horse racing terms and could give us the perfect start.

The thing is though, as has been cited here regarding 2012, backs mark forwards. I would expect Tipp to put Brendan Maher on TJ Reid and likely follow him out as far as halfway.

Be interesting to see what's done with Barrett. You'd think they'd put him on Mullen but if what you say is true, and Kilkenny say threw Walsh in corner forward, would they let him follow Mullen out the field and risk having a corner back with less pace as the last line of defense? The teams named will be interesting. Sounds like James Barry might come back in at full back.

Would you start James Maher? Richie Leahys form has been quite poor I think from the start this year. Probably a better option from the bench, Maher seems to have a better work rate as well. Tactically it's fascinating, very interested to see what the two best managers I've seen come up with.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Yeah ye have to run at him, as jackie said in his book tipp running around was because tipp were afraid to engage, so going by jackies logic,kilkenny players you hope will run so essentially not engage in a physical battle with maher, wise move to be fair.

I want Kilkenny lads to expose the same weakness as the wexford lads did only they took the wrong options with the final ball.
    If Kilkenny get that many overlaps on the tipp backs.liam cahill will be your new manager by Christmas

Im just pointing out hypocrisy too, anyway kilkenny dont have the same speed merchants as wexford have to be fair so i reckon this will be a more conventional game which in my opinion is the best spectacle.

The thing is though, as has been cited here regarding 2012, backs mark forwards. I would expect Tipp to put Brendan Maher on TJ Reid and likely follow him out as far as halfway.

Be interesting to see what's done with Barrett. You'd think they'd put him on Mullen but if what you say is true, and Kilkenny say threw Walsh in corner forward, would they let him follow Mullen out the field and risk having a corner back with less pace as the last line of defense? The teams named will be interesting. Sounds like James Barry might come back in at full back.

Would you start James Maher? Richie Leahys form has been quite poor I think from the start this year. Probably a better option from the bench, Maher seems to have a better work rate as well. Tactically it's fascinating, very interested to see what the two best managers I've seen come up with.

I think he will go with Buckley to start instead of Leahy.would barrett be 5"10 .talk is wally 6"5 heading in their I think it's a mistake .wally adds a lot to our defensive setup.now if barrett follows Mullen out the field Mullen is good in the air also and it pulls tip around the place .
    If James barry starts I will be running to paddy power's he looked terrible against laois and Colin would be to strong and fast first goal or any goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Al Monds

TJ is already the all time top scorer for a single hurling championship season - 5.72 (87).
    He has averaged 12.43 points this season.
    If he scores 13 points this Sunday he will be the first to surpass a century in a championship season.
    I hope nobody marks him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Grats

Well, we're nearly there - Final Day, and the end in sight of the nutty annual posters! It's been wonderful in some respects having the nutters on raking up past stories. Sure sign we're back! It started really with Cusack after we beat Limerick, he just couldn't stomach it. And the same with the visiting nutters.

Such a great feeling though as it confirms our placing in the hurling landscape.

Pity about the weather forecasted. A nice day just adds to the occasion.

I expect Buckley to start ahead of Leahy with the team the same otherwise. I imagine Buckley will have made more progress since the Limerick match and his experience will add a lot to our game. Since the Leinster Final you can see the desire and hunger in the players. TJ is playing a captain's role and showing great leadership. His troops are responding. Bring on Tipp!

Just like the seniors, the minors have also come good at the right time. They would appear to have finally found the correct balance with Moore and Aylward at midfield driving at the opposition.

Best of luck to both teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

The death has taken place of Fenians warrior Billy Purcell RIP you were a great servant to club county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Any stand tickets pop up yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement