Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

Zipppy wrote: »
    New Italian restaurant at cabra shops..

Do you remember the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Do you remember the name?

Nero its beside the chinese and Teo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Anyone have a recommendation for where to buy in bulk for the fire, logs /coal /briquettes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Anyone have a recommendation for where to buy in bulk for the fire, logs /coal /briquettes?

BR wood fuels in Lusk area, they deliver big pallets of logs to your door. 087 252 6501
    You can't burn coal in phibsboro though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

eastwest wrote: »
    BR wood fuels in Lusk area, they deliver big pallets of logs to your door. 087 252 6501
    You can't burn coal in phibsboro though!

What? Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can burn anthracite coal. Just not bitumenous varieties

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

Goslins Hardware on Quarry Rd deliver and are very fair (obviously, nobody beats Matt in Phibsboro hardware, but Goslin's for the big load)

We had our first LegoJam in the Phizzfest Space beside Tesco last Saturday. Very much still finding our way with it, but the kids had a ball. Lego, board-games, art. The next one is this Saturday at 1pm (5-10 year olds), hoping to make it a weekly event. Numbers limited, no bookings and free (welcoming donations to keep the lights on!)
    More here: facebook.com/PHIZZFEST

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Just had a mince pie from Thunders bakery
    Top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Where is good on NYE? Do people converge anywhere, even nearby, or which pubs would be good to be in at midnight? I imagine The Hut would be the best spot but I've never been out here on the night.

• Advertisement

New Stone villa plans look pretty good. And happily don't seem to provide for Stone villa falling down.

https://twitter.com/duburbans/status/1214873644616298501

I was in the Bernard Shaw at the weekend. It's The Whitworth (again) with a new sign over the door. I would like to go when they have a ticketed night with DJs to see if there's anything different to it, because as it is it's just more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

hankless wrote: »
    I was in the Bernard Shaw at the weekend. It's The Whitworth (again) with a new sign over the door. I would like to go when they have a ticketed night with DJs to see if there's anything different to it, because as it is it's just more of the same.

I went past it on Sunday and it was completely empty, can't see it lasting long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

pmcc1 wrote: »
    New Stone villa plans look pretty good. And happily don't seem to provide for Stone villa falling down.

https://twitter.com/duburbans/status/1214873644616298501

Where exactly is this ?

Where exactly is this ?

297 North Circular - it was one of the first and grandest houses in Phibsboro, but follows the familiar Dublin tradition of having been left vacant, and to fall down for the last decade. They'll be getting to it just in time if this goes ahead.
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/10/25/villa-real/

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

i wasnt a big fan even of the previous BS in town but the new one is even worse than expected. Poor service at the bar/counter, a fry smell in the air and mediocre food and overall a dull vibe which seems a constant in that joint despite the various changes (the layout doesn't help). The only minor point of interest would've been the pizza option but that is gone.

Personally, if i go for a drink locally and it's not the traditional/usual local pub, the Bald Eagle is way a better option than the BS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The nachos in eatyard outside it are unreal.

8WGCJIml.jpg

Poor service at the bar/counter

I wanted a glass of wine and there are 4 wine taps. I asked the barman which wines did they have and he told me he didn't know. That was it. He just stood staring at me. I asked would he be able to ask someone else and thankfully he did and one of his colleagues was able to tell me their selection.

Personally, if i go for a drink locally and it's not the traditional/usual local pub, the Bald Eagle is way a better option than the BS.

Same here. I would find it very hard to walk past The Hut and the Bald Eagle to go back into the BS, especially as I can also see Hedigan's in my periphery as I'd be walking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Was served a godawful pint of plain in that new Bernard Shaw.

St. Peter's Church bells just went off at midnight! 10pm is the latest you would normally hear them until the next morning :confused:

Edit: they wen't all though the night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Was served a godawful pint of plain in that new Bernard Shaw.

Why would you go there for Guinness with both the Gravediggers and the Hut a few steps away ? (Gravediggers pints is what got me started on Guinness...absolutely perfect...and the Hut is fab too)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Why would you go there for Guinness with both the Gravediggers and the Hut a few steps away ? (Gravediggers pints is what got me started on Guinness...absolutely perfect...and the Hut is fab too)

Plain in GBS is not Guinness but the porterhouse brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Yeah the new BS is terrible. It has retained the crap sports bar/super pub layout. Sprawling kip. They need to change the layout to fix it.

They are still showing sports on the screens too, which makes it worse again. They have kept a lot of the old porterhouse crowd too, bit rough. (Conor McGregor fan types and hula hoop earrings)

I suppose they cant be as picky about customers in the new location.

Yeah it's still basically the Porterhouse. As said above the layout needs changing. They've got these massive windows facing south and half the bar is in darkness due to central bar location. It'd be costly to change but with the right architects it could have potential.

In saying all that, I went in to see Andy Weatheral DJ there before Christmas. Great night with a good atmosphere. The crowd was older (30's 40's mainly) which I imagine was due to Weatheral being around for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Do they own it or are they leasing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

They tried to have the big blue bus there for pizza. The same day it arrived outside, the council came down hard on them for obstructing the footpath.

De Bhál wrote: »
    I went in to see Andy Weatheral DJ there before Christmas. Great night with a good atmosphere.

Do they turn the front, south-facing part into a large dancefloor? And do people dance upstairs too? I'm intrigued to know what the layout is like for a big-name DJ night.

Do they turn the front, south-facing part into a large dancefloor? And do people dance upstairs too? I'm intrigued to know what the layout is like for a big-name DJ night.

Yeah the dancefloor was that south facing part downstairs - a bit tight (in my opinion)
    DJ is on the first floor overlooking the dancefloor. I went upstairs and people were lounging around the Dj area, bit of dancing. More relaxing with drinks really. Might have changed later that night but I wasn't up there after that.

Weatheral to me would be a big name DJ but that just shows my age really and I doubt I'd know any of the newer ones.

Must be a bit strange if you're dancing away and there's a double decker bus full of people sitting in traffic outside looking in at you :D

• Advertisement

Does anyone know anything about Tony Murray Displays? It's been derelict for years and there's no sale/let sign outside. It's a great size and now, unfortunately, an eyesore.

Advertisement