Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

pmcc1 wrote: »
    Looks like the first application was invalid because the site notice wasn't right.
    They have lodged it again (link below) and a decision is not made yet.
    Personally I'm all for a Phibsburrito Bar, but the application makes no mention of Mexican food. I note with wariness that the applicant is the resident solicitor..

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=4325/19&backURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=4499909%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%20%3E%20%3Ca%20href=%27wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=5243917%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=APNID:DESC%26DispResultsAs=WPHAPPSEARCHRES%26BackURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=4499909%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%27%3ESearch%20Results%3C/a%3E

Ah the more food options the better...a couple of small cafe bar style locations would be nice though..

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

I'd prefer an independent outlet selling Burritos over a Boojum. I like Boojum but we have enough of them in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

the application makes no mention of Mexican food.
    'Change of use to burrito bar' is the title of each drawing.

What's people's thoughts on Phibs pubs?
    I used to really like Hedigans.. but it went dead.. got a make over..New staff..etc Haven't been on much of late but was decent crowd ther ed last week.
    I like Cross guns.. always busy.
    Doyle's is ok too..as is Gravediggers on occasions..otherwise I'm not pushed on the others...
    Where do ye all drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

Zipppy wrote: »
    What's people's thoughts on Phibs pubs?
    I used to really like Hedigans.. but it went dead.. got a make over..New staff..etc Haven't been on much of late but was decent crowd ther ed last week.
    I like Cross guns.. always busy.
    Doyle's is ok too..as is Gravediggers on occasions..otherwise I'm not pushed on the others...
    Where do ye all drink?

Gravediggers the Bohemian and the Hut my top ones. Never really liked Hedigans that much. Bald Eagle decent spot, going there quite often too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Gravediggers is definitely my go-to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Not been to Gravediggers since that new person to that area got the drinking outside banned [I know its not rational to stop going to the pub, not their fault, but bah...]

Like the bald eagle, normally my local. Great spot for sport, or to escape "stuff" on a quiet nite. Also ecco the support for the Hut. Seems odd looking from outside, but a great place to actually speak to someone [and be able to hear them!!].

Been into Doyles on the corner twice, both times quiet inside. **** pints both times. Cant see myself going back in, unless lead astray [clearly!]

On a related note, stuck head into Bernad Shaw on a late evening walk the other night, seriously expensive pints; think Guinness 5.90 - but I guess their market is food and hipsters wanting G&T's in glasses as big as a goldfish bowl :) Myself and Mrs Vagga plan to hit there this weekend or next and will check it out.

The Hut, Hedigans and The Bald Eagle. Bonobo is as close to Phibsboro as Gravediggers so those two as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not been to Gravediggers since that new person to that area got the drinking outside banned [I know its not rational to stop going to the pub, not their fault, but bah...]

Like the bald eagle, normally my local. Great spot for sport, or to escape "stuff" on a quiet nite. Also ecco the support for the Hut. Seems odd looking from outside, but a great place to actually speak to someone [and be able to hear them!!].

Been into Doyles on the corner twice, both times quiet inside. **** pints both times. Cant see myself going back in, unless lead astray [clearly!]

On a related note, stuck head into Bernad Shaw on a late evening walk the other night, seriously expensive pints; think Guinness 5.90 - but I guess their market is food and hipsters wanting G&T's in glasses as big as a goldfish bowl :) Myself and Mrs Vagga plan to hit there this weekend or next and will check it out.

Outside drinking at The Gravediggers has been done responsibly for decades. ...brilliant pub run by a super family.. idiots like the complainants really deserve to be tied to the train tracks as they think over their actions.

Like the Bald Eagle for a drink or two after snooker in the Cross Guns, never been there for a night out though... I’d be preferring maybe The Gravediggers

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

100% The Hut for grown up chats, or to read on your own. Excellent Guinness, untroubled by inflation. What a great bar!
    I seriously admire how well Cross Guns & Back Page have done family-friendliness, without being creches - very nice to go to with the family (too often), but I wouldn't go to either to read the paper.
    The theater upstairs the Bohemian was a very pleasant surprise.
    Phibs is simply a great place to be out and about with or without kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Haven't been to The Hut despite living around the corner from it, always been curious though. Bald Eagles nice too. Spoiled for choice in Phibsboro really.

Went into Doyles once with herself not long after they opened for a bitta brunch, some weekend mildly hungover, place was empty and yet was told I couldn't dine there as I had a zippy hoody and comfy clothes on...thought that was a bit much to be honest and left a bad taste!..they shouted after saying I could dine in the side bar away from the public :P Been bitter about it since!

Shlippery wrote: »
    Haven't been to The Hut despite living around the corner from it,

It's easily Phibsboro's best bar. No airs and graces and always a genuine, nice atmosphere in the place.

That’s mad about Doyle’s, I haven’t been there in years but always had it picked as a type of working class enough local and nothing to behold inside..

After my gym I rather then cook just head to a pub for food, one reasonably upmarket and nice pub which couldn’t be more friendly and couldn’t give a fûck that I’m wearing a tracksuit, nor should they...

Strumms wrote: »
    Outside drinking at The Gravediggers has been done responsibly for decades. ...brilliant pub run by a super family.. idiots like the complainants really deserve to be tied to the train tracks as they think over their actions.

Like the Bald Eagle for a drink or two after snooker in the Cross Guns, never been there for a night out though... I’d be preferring maybe The Gravediggers

More and more people started to get food delivered and bring cans to the green outside the Gravediggers which eventually caused problems for the staff and neighborhood. Despite the excellent work made by the family in keeping the green (which they do not own) tidy and civilized for many years the thing kind of "killed itself" sadly due to some idiots' abuse of a lovely spot

The theater upstairs the Bohemian was a very pleasant surprise.
    Phibs is simply a great place to be out and about with or without kids.

Is the upstairs in the Bohemian always open? never tried it! Most regulars there are full of character :) and i always found it a friendly and very well run place

More and more people started to get food delivered and bring cans to the green outside the Gravediggers which eventually caused problems for the staff and neighborhood. Despite the excellent work made by the family in keeping the green (which they do not own) tidy and civilized for many years the thing kind of "killed itself" sadly due to some idiots' abuse of a lovely spot

Ahhh ok, thanks. That’s a shame. I suppose with the likes of summer days and Dublin matches and the assembled busy crowds it’s got to be difficult to police. Impossible in fact. Regulars would be cool but blow ins maybe disregarding the residential nature of prospect square and in high spirits... problems can happen...

Shlippery wrote: »
    Haven't been to The Hut despite living around the corner from it, always been curious though. Bald Eagles nice too. Spoiled for choice in Phibsboro really.

Went into Doyles once with herself not long after they opened for a bitta brunch, some weekend mildly hungover, place was empty and yet was told I couldn't dine there as I had a zippy hoody and comfy clothes on...thought that was a bit much to be honest and left a bad taste!..they shouted after saying I could dine in the side bar away from the public :P Been bitter about it since!

Jeez I've been in a good few times with zero hassle...and I wouldn't exactly be a smart dresser .. I'd imagine I've been in with hoodie on...

Forgot about the Hut...yep. fab pub.. head there with the Lads.. some great nites..
    Once upon a day it was my late da's fav pub...
    Nobody mentioned Daveys aka Clarke's....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

the back page, bonobo, bald eagle, and now the bernard shaw!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Going to try The Bernard Shaw/Eatyard tomorrow afternoon, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Zipppy wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned Daveys aka Clarke's....

Good crowd but not for the faint hearted

• Advertisement

It’s not a great pub. It’s not the worst but it would be my last choice for a pint in the whole village, and it’s the closest one to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭De Bhál

any recommendations for a photographer to do a family shoot in the Glasnevin, Phibs, Drumcondra area?

photo to be taken at their location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

hankless wrote:
    It's easily Phibsboro's best bar. No airs and graces and always a genuine, nice atmosphere in the place.

Popped in over the weekend for first time in few years, the only pub in Dublin I've been that only takes cash. Lovely pints

Popped in over the weekend for first time in few years, the only pub in Dublin I've been that only takes cash. Lovely pints

The Bohemian across the road and Gravediggers (in the old pub section) are cash only too

An abundance of ATMs beside it, tis grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Are there any decent gyms in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Huzzah! wrote: »

The city council Ballymun gym is excellent. Though not the closest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Huzzah! wrote: »

Friend likes better body

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Friend likes better body

Is that a recommendation or are you just boasting?

• Advertisement

New Italian restaurant at cabra shops..

Advertisement