Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Mi A1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

never actually thought of getting one. But seems like nice addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,283 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dropped mine out my pocket the other day onto the tarmac, smashed the glass but not the screen. Gutted :(

I was going to just get the A2 lite but I'm happy enough with the A1 still. Where can I get a replacement digitizer for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

rob316 wrote: »
    Dropped mine out my pocket the other day onto the tarmac, smashed the glass but not the screen. Gutted :(

I was going to just get the A2 lite but I'm happy enough with the A1 still. Where can I get a replacement digitizer for this?

All over eBay, Amazon, Adverts etc. Fitting isn't easy though as it's glued to the LCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Might be cheaper to buy another phone, few Mi A1's on adverts

Might be cheaper to buy another phone, few Mi A1's on adverts

Definitely not. A digitiser is only around a tenner. Complete with LCD and frame from about €25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,283 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Looking at reviews on the Mi A2 all morning might just pick this up instead.

I'll get the A1 fixed though for handy spare phone.
    Where can I get the full lcd assembly so?

Looking at reviews on the Mi A2 all morning might just pick this up instead.

I'll get the A1 fixed though for handy spare phone.
    Where can I get the full lcd assembly so?

Amazon, eBay, AliExpress etc. It's easy enough to replace the whole lot in one go, you just need a pentalobe driver for the USB port and something (dental floss?) to run under the battery to remove the adhesive. I don't know how good the quality is on these parts though, the replacement USB ports certainly aren't as good as original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Lads has anyone installed LineageOS 16 on one of these by any chance? Borrowed my sister's A1 while I'm replacing my OP3 and finding a proper walkthrough seems a bit difficult.

Best I can understand it:
    Fastboot OEM unlock
    Fastboot boot TWRP.img recovery (don't flash as it'll brick the device)
    Wipe device using fastbooted recovery
    Install LineageOS using fastbooted recovery
    Reboot to Fastboot booted TWRP
    Install Gapps
    Install custom kernel if desired
    Install Magisk

Is this correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Andriod 9 seems to have messed the phone up, anyone else battery gone rubbish?

You know the time up in the top left hand corner and then your notification and keybored show? Well I'm rapidly getting a flashing white box coming and going and I can't find what it is. Not installed any new apps no idea, anyone else seeing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

but1er wrote: »
    Andriod 9 seems to have messed the phone up, anyone else battery gone rubbish?

You know the time up in the top left hand corner and then your notification and keybored show? Well I'm rapidly getting a flashing white box coming and going and I can't find what it is. Not installed any new apps no idea, anyone else seeing it

Nope. Android 9 has improved my battery life no end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

same no issue with android 9, just overall better. Thou your issue seems more like some app is acting up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Same here, no issues. I had the Cellmapper app running a few days last week and it drained the battery pretty quick so had to disable it, all back to normal now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My wife is running Android 9 and data roaming isn't working strangely enough. The APN is correct (on Virgin mobile), roaming in enabled in the networks settings and the phone has been rebooted etc with no success. Does anyone have any ideas? I've played around with all the above settings, toggling them off and on and rebooting etc but it never connects. Very frustrating!

I'm on the same network on a OnePlus 5T and data roaming is just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

My wife is running Android 9 and data roaming isn't working strangely enough. The APN is correct (on Virgin mobile), roaming in enabled in the networks settings and the phone has been rebooted etc with no success. Does anyone have any ideas? I've played around with all the above settings, toggling them off and on and rebooting etc but it never connects. Very frustrating!
    I'm on the same network on a OnePlus 5T and data roaming is just fine.
    Found this on a Google search, might work.

Edit: fixed by resetting the network settings. Search reset in the settings search bar and it should come up.
    Basically, go into settings, enter reset in the search bar and about 4 options should come up, select the wifi, Bluetooth and mobile reset options,

august12 wrote: »

Edit: fixed by resetting the network settings. Search reset in the settings search bar and it should come up.
    Basically, go into settings, enter reset in the search bar and about 4 options should come up, select the wifi, Bluetooth and mobile reset options,

Cheers man, just stumbled on the same and gave it a go. Won't know for sure until tomorrow when she lands in Brussels! Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Cheers man, just stumbled on the same and gave it a go. Won't know for sure until tomorrow when she lands in Brussels! Fingers crossed.

PS, I'm a lady, believe it or not, we are quite tech savvy!!

PS, I'm a lady, believe it or not, we are quite tech savvy!!

Honestly I would have used the same language regardless....

And this worked a charm!!!! Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Today's my last day with the Mi A1. I've gotten a Mi Mix 2S on upgrade.

I don't think i've ever had a phone that's given me the service the Mi A1 has. Seriously some bit of kit. So happy with it. Hoping the experience is similar with the Mi Mix 2S, but hey, it's Xiaomi - i've had the Redmi Note 4 before the Mi A1, and that was an animal as well.

Great being a part of this little corner of boards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I can't send photos on WhatsApp at the moment. Dunno if it's some little bug on the phone itself or a WhatsApp problem in general.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I can't send photos on WhatsApp at the moment. Dunno if it's some little bug on the phone itself or a WhatsApp problem in general.

There have been issues all evening with Facebook and Instagram so maybe it's related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

There have been issues all evening with Facebook and Instagram so maybe it's related.

I've received photos and videos but haven't been able to send them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

As much as I like this phone, I am finding reception on it a lot poorer than my previous phone. I'm losing signal on sections of road I never lost reception on. Anyone else notice this? Or any suggestions to improve reception?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have this phone a bit over a year and love it. I use it daily as my gps in the car but lately it has been problematic - dropping signal, not being accurate and losing connection. Is there anything I can do to try fix that or is it just a case of get a new phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭tnegun

Noticed the OH's doing similar the other day and a restart fixed it I assume you've already tried that?

I have this phone a bit over a year and love it. I use it daily as my gps in the car but lately it has been problematic - dropping signal, not being accurate and losing connection. Is there anything I can do to try fix that or is it just a case of get a new phone?

I've noticed GPS drop outs too for the first time this week. Never had a problem before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is there any way to install the Pixel camera app on this phone? My wife is complaining about the camera quality but I'm sure it's just the software.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,822 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ush1 wrote: »
    Is there any way to install the Pixel camera app on this phone? My wife is complaining about the camera quality but I'm sure it's just the software.

there is, but its quite involved...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmkFu_TCNM0

Clearing cache on all apps using GPS seems to have solved this for the moment

• Advertisement

Anyone else find the camera messed-up since the last update? Has some weird mirror / rotate type settings that i can't turn off anywhere in the menus

Advertisement