Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 2016 6Nations/Junior World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Big turn around from Connacht after being annihilated by Leinster, beat Ulster and then came very close to beating Munster who beat Leinster. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bradders90 wrote: »
    dont know much about people other than exiles, am rather confused as to why ulster left out academy names like j.mcphillips, byrne etc, seems odd because they are definitely eligible. thy may be injured but i doubt it
    Injury possibly. Want to look at others for development reasons???
    _Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Big turn around from Connacht after being annihilated by Leinster, beat Ulster and then came very close to beating Munster who beat Leinster. Fair play.
    Connacht not used to all weather possibly??? Leinster game wasn't true reflection based on what ive seen of them the past 2 weeks.

Munster v Connacht from Friday night
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxoO60GflSE

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bradders90

Munster v Connacht from Friday night
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxoO60GflSE

connacht pulling off a ireland vs nz performance aha

All home 6 Nations games to be played in Donnybrook.

Shame that virtually no home internationals across all grades will now be played outside of Dublin.

Friday, February 5 - Ireland Under-20s v Wales Under-20s, 7.35pm
    Friday, March 11 - Ireland Under-20s v Italy Under-20s, 7.35pm
    Friday, March 18 - Ireland Under-20s v Scotland Under-20s, 7.35pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭unce09f

Shame that virtually no home internationals across all grades will now be played outside of Dublin.

thankfully no more mud baths in athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Friday, February 5 - Ireland Under-20s v Wales Under-20s, 7.35pm
    Friday, March 11 - Ireland Under-20s v Italy Under-20s, 7.35pm
    Friday, March 18 - Ireland Under-20s v Scotland Under-20s, 7.35pm

pity it isn't moved around but Athlone suited very few people to attend and pitch was often a disgrace.
    If similar pitches available in Galway/limerick/cork/belfast with suitable space for spectators would be great to see it played across all four provinces on a cyclical basis.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    pity it isn't moved around but Athlone suited very few people to attend and pitch was often a disgrace.
    If similar pitches available in Galway/limerick/cork/belfast with suitable space for spectators would be great to see it played across all four provinces on a cyclical basis.
    Sportsground/Musgrave/Ravenhill......
    I just don't see it as a good thing that all internationals will be in Dublin bar the odd exception.
    Yes the pitch sometimes was poor in Athlone but its rugby.... pitches will be poor sometimes. I would love to see 20s interpros being played in Cork/Limerick/Galway/Belfast every year/couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Sportsground/Musgrave/Ravenhill......
    I just don't see it as a good thing that all internationals will be in Dublin bar the odd exception.
    Yes the pitch sometimes was poor in Athlone but its rugby.... pitches will be poor sometimes. I would love to see 20s interpros being played in Cork/Limerick/Galway/Belfast every year/couple of years

Ahhh the pitch was fairly shocking plenty of times. You can say it is rugby but these are pretty much pro's and deserve to play on a decent surface. The pitch in donnybrook guarantees that regardless of time of year.

in total agreement about moving it around. 2/3 home games a year in 6 nations-plenty of scope to move the games around all four provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Would be great to have it after a senior international in the aviva

• Advertisement

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Ahhh the pitch was fairly shocking plenty of times. You can say it is rugby but these are pretty much pro's and deserve to play on a decent surface. The pitch in donnybrook guarantees that regardless of time of year.

in total agreement about moving it around. 2/3 home games a year in 6 nations-plenty of scope to move the games around all four provinces.
    Its a standard club pitch with huge footfall each week between all Buccs sides etc
    ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Would be great to have it after a senior international in the aviva
    Doubt 20s will ever be played after. Would be good to see but Womens should be ahead of the 20s for doing that..

As no Irish 20s action - training or otherwise - for a short while. 20s league action really starting up now. AIL discussed elsewhere but 20s qualifiers in Leinster-Connacht league have began to decide how divisions 1/2/3 will be made up. Munster Donal Walsh division 1 starts Saturday week. No decision on fixtures for division 2 yet...

Dates and venues for world cup games announced.
    http://www.fifteenrugby.com/england-scotland-drawn-together-in-world-rugby-u20-championship/

Its a standard club pitch with huge footfall each week between all Buccs sides etc

Doubt 20s will ever be played after. Would be good to see but Womens should be ahead of the 20s for doing that..

As no Irish 20s action - training or otherwise - for a short while. 20s league action really starting up now. AIL discussed elsewhere but 20s qualifiers in Leinster-Connacht league have began to decide how divisions 1/2/3 will be made up. Munster Donal Walsh division 1 starts Saturday week. No decision on fixtures for division 2 yet...

Dates and venues for world cup games announced.
    http://www.fifteenrugby.com/england-scotland-drawn-together-in-world-rugby-u20-championship/

England u20's are already in training, had a weekend camp 25-28th sept.

England u20's are already in training, had a weekend camp 25-28th sept.
    They have a different system so of course they are. We wont yet.

They have a different system so of course they are. We wont yet.
    I think their system seems to be working slightly better than ours. 3 finals in 3 years says so.

Off topic - Niall Saunders Ireland u18 clubs last year is in the Ireland u19 squad for this season, at least according to his school (he is still at epsom college in england)

I think their system seems to be working slightly better than ours. 3 finals in 3 years says so.

Off topic - Niall Saunders Ireland u18 clubs last year is in the Ireland u19 squad for this season, at least according to his school (he is still at epsom college in england)
    Their system gives access to players to professional set up earlier to of course its likely to be better than ours overall. They also generally are bigger than us and have improved skills across the board recently which is evident through their recent successes...

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

The population advantage is far more exaggerated at age grade level. Until the English's new master race of highly gifted toddlers can get the job done over yiz boys at senior level, I'll be holding judgement as to which system works better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The population advantage is far more exaggerated at age grade level. Until the English's new master race of highly gifted toddlers can get the job done over yiz boys at senior level, I'll be holding judgement as to which system works better.

Yeah it's interesting. The priority for me at U20 level is development rather than results. All you really need is three or four young players to emerge from each year, so England can have 15 stars and Ireland may only have 3 or 4, but that's all you need provided it isn't in the same position every year.

Last year was disappointing results wise for Ireland but as I just mentioned in another thread Byrne, Ringrose and Arnold we have three players with real potential so the U20s more or less served their purpose as far as I'm concerned.

That said England's strong U20s over the last few years is bound to have an impact on the senior side sooner or later, at least in terms of depth. One thing I've been thinking about England is that while you have loads of good players, I don't know if you have any absolutely outstanding players. Mike Brown is up there and I think in time Ford and Watson may well get there too and if he ever gets fit and gets his head right Tuilagi could be the best centre in the world(but that's a lot of ifs) but I don't see too many real standout players. Lots of good players and lots of depth but not too many spectacular talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

A few of the u20 lads involved in the A teams for the weekend , anyone know anything about David aspil , he's starting for leinster A , seems to have got his break due to injuries to Cregan and jonny guy

A few of the u20 lads involved in the A teams for the weekend , anyone know anything about David aspil , he's starting for leinster A , seems to have got his break due to injuries to Cregan and jonny guy

Cregan hasn't been involved for awhile. don't expect him to be involved at a higher level anymore.

Guy's future seems to be at 6 from what I've been told.

Aspil is a good hard nosed natural openside.

1st camp in Dublin is next week from what i'm told.

• Advertisement

ulster a lost quite badly to connacht eagles the other day
    quite a few u20 eligible players playing for ulster (not sure about connacht) such as arnold, mcphillips, joyce, kane, busby, k mccall(?).
    there may have been others playing im not sure.

JP Fanagan (U20) - Premier 1:
    Terenure College RFC 33, Blackrock College RFC 20;
    Clontarf 19, Dublin University 24;
    Old Belvedere 16, Lansdowne 27;
    UCD 74, Buccaneers 0;

Lansdowne had Max Deegan at 8. No one else really in that team that will be contenders for irish u20.

Donal Walsh division 1 games from weekend. Only 3 games played
    Cork Constitution 70 Highfield 8
    Garryowen 31 Sundays Well 15
    UCC 13 Shannon 13
    Bruff and Dolphin called off as Dolphin pulling out of the league

Division 2 doesn't start for a month or so. Only 5 teams competing so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Donal Walsh division 1 games from weekend. Only 3 games played
    Cork Constitution 70 Highfield 8
    Garryowen 31 Sundays Well 15
    UCC 13 Shannon 13
    Bruff and Dolphin called off as Dolphin pulling out of the league

Division 2 doesn't start for a month or so. Only 5 teams competing so far...

Hard to see past Con's again this year.

Young Munster beat Old Crescent 28-12 in the same competition, not sure why scores are not updated by the branch perhaps ref still hadn't submitted the score.

Hard to see past Con's again this year.

Young Munster beat Old Crescent 28-12 in the same competition, not sure why scores are not updated by the branch perhaps ref still hadn't submitted the score.
    Ref inputting their form/match report wouldn't stop score being reported on website. Delay in website being updated much more likely to inaction by Teams/competition organiser

anyone else see the independant.ie article about the IRFU getting rid of the Ireland Schools and Ireland Clubs teams and instead having 2 sides that combine both. An A side (for the obviously better players) and a B side.
    I personally absolutely welcome this move and the fact that the irfu have gone to make this change shows you how well clubs rugby is progressing. I'll be happy with 7/8 out of a squad of 23 being from a clubs background.

The schools thread hasnt really got going yet so i thought i would post it here as it would recieve more attention that this news deserves.

WHat do you guys think about this change?
    ps it hasnt been officially confirmed yet.

Probably means less club players play national u18 rugby.

But that the best club players/exiles will be alongside the best schools players.

anyone else see the independant.ie article about the IRFU getting rid of the Ireland Schools and Ireland Clubs teams and instead having 2 sides that combine both. An A side (for the obviously better players) and a B side.
    I personally absolutely welcome this move and the fact that the irfu have gone to make this change shows you how well clubs rugby is progressing. I'll be happy with 7/8 out of a squad of 23 being from a clubs background.

The schools thread hasnt really got going yet so i thought i would post it here as it would recieve more attention that this news deserves.

WHat do you guys think about this change?
    ps it hasnt been officially confirmed yet.
    Good sign and I think there will be more than 7/8 in a combined squad coming from the clubs set up
    For the first time ever we will have the strongest side competing in the FIRA u18 championships

Good sign and I think there will be more than 7/8 in a combined squad coming from the clubs set up
    Really? i dont have huge knowledge of irish school[club]boy rugby and from what i understood club rugby was still a little way of school level.
    Wonder how this will impact the exiles, the standard coming over will be higher i think now .
    Exciting time.
    and completely agree with you over the fira-aer tournament excited to see how we do now against the likes of england and france.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Can't see anyone breaking the dominance of Leinster schools at that age level. The schools in Leinster are the benchmark at U18 age grade.

Advertisement